Sonic Comic Origins - Spoilers & Discussion Mega Thread

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Comic Origins - Spoilers & Discussion Mega Thread

Postby RadRed89 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Sigh...man...I want to read that story to see it for myself, cause it sounds really good. But I don't have money! :cry:
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby The Bored » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Antoine's new origin sounds good. I'm wondering if his father is still dead in this world (I'm gonna guess he is).
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 pm

I wish these stories were in the main series or even Universe :( People will miss out on backstory!
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby RadRed89 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 pm

That's what bugs me about Sonic Comic Origins. The only way to get them is to buy them through reprints. Whether it's the Super Special Magazine, or the Super Digest, or the eventual trades for the main comic apparently. It feels like it really limits the number of people who are going to see these, because from what I've looked up the Digests and Magazines don't sell nearly as many copies per month as the comics do when they come out. I really don't want to waste money on something that's 90 percent reprints, and it looks like I'm not the only one.

So unless the Origin specials actually get collected on their own at some point down the line, I doubt the majority of the readers of the comic will know anything about the new backstories of the characters until it becomes relevant to the main book, in which case they'll just be lost because they never read the Origins in the first place.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby apprentice manta » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Well I've ordered it. If the sales of the Digests are low, it's probly because most stores don't bother to stock them. I looked, I really looked. On Wednesday, I visited 2 CVS pharmacies and a Food Lion, Super Sonic Magazine 11 was all I found. Then went to the comic store, bought SU 65 & STH 262. Yay.

Yesterday I walked the 3.6 miles from my house to Harris Teeter. Jogged back. They had 5 different Archie digests (B&V Jumbo, B&V Annual, World Of Archie Jumbo, Archie, Jughead And Archie.) SSM 11 was also there.

Today I went to Barnes & Nobles, last ditch effort. Found the same B&V Jumbo, B&V Annual digests, plus a different World Of Archie (older issue I think.) No Sonic digests. They did have Sonic Universe & Sonic The Hedgehog stocked but I'd just bought those, at a better price too, so no luck.

So I decided to pay the shipping fee & ordered a copy of Sonic Digest 8 online, paid $7.94 [including shipping. Was $5.00 flat price] It's due to arrive by next Wed, the 14th. I'll scan a few pages when it arrives, post my thoughts.

If the comic is delivered on time & in good condition, I'll order back issues from the same seller again, when I have a little more cash available.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby Zulon Eredas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:20 pm

I unfortunately have been unable to get it, I'll try again next week before asking my CSG (Comic Shop Guy) to order it for me.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:43 pm

At last I got it from books a million. My goodness I enjoyed this story. This is why I love Archie 'twan more than his satam counter part.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby SimonSays » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:23 pm

The bookstore got the Digest finally and I got to read it.

I thought it was cute enough, but I think that this origin gave me a weird feeling, more than Sally's for some reason. I guess I think it's a little odd to have the memories from the old universe, and then these new origins too? Like, before I was thinking that Antoine and Bunnie's relationship was exactly as it was in the old universe, but this kind of changes things. They still love each other and they're partners, so I guess all the necessary components are there. Almost everything is just as it was before. But like... it's so slightly different. And now I'm not sure I'm looking at the characters in modern times the same way I was just a few issues ago.

I thought that even if they didn't remember exact events, their friendships and relationships would still be as they were. Like, Sonic at least knows that he and Sally had feelings for each other, or something, even if he can't remember the details. They'd still feel for each other the same way as before. This is kind of challenging that idea, and it's throwing me off. It's another reason for me not digging the preserved-then-fading memories thing. New Antoine is not exactly Old Antoine, and I'm not sure which one I'm looking at now, since they were supposed to be merged.

I'm not saying it was bad or anything. I thought that this was a nice origin story (and I think Bunnie's backstory is really the main culprit for my confusion, not necessarily Antoine's part in it). But it's just not the one I prefer (but to be fair, it's hard to compete with a slow character development over hundreds of issues, when you're only 7 pages long or so.) What I DID appreciate was how Antoine's relationship with his father and the Kingdom of Acorn was smoothed out. I like that the sword was his father's, and that he was an exchange student, explaining his accent. It got those important aspects of his character across really clearly and effectively in a short amount of time.

So I like the Origins stories, but I think they're also complicating things as much as they're explaining things. For me, anyway.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:17 pm

The memories are basically completed faded now (or just seen as the characters like a far off dream, not a reality they were actually part of), so there's no merging there any more.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SimonSays » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes the memories are gone, but I thought maybe some of their feelings towards each other would stay in tact.

Like, the whole first arc of the reboot is Old Sonic gathering the Old Team, and they've got essentially the same team dynamic as always. Somewhere between then and now, all those old guys died off into oblivion and are gone. But at the point of that first arc, they were all acting as the same old friends. It seems weird to have the team's history with one another change in the background. Like, you think Bunnie and Sally act a certain way because they've got this particular history together, or at least the feelings of friendship they used to have, but then that just goes away and is replaced by another one without anyone telling you.

By changing parts of their backstory in this new world, it's shaking up the team dynamic. So I mean, Sonic and Rotor's history should change the way they act with the team sometimes. They're latecomers to the group in the new continuity. But after they got their memories restored, I thought that that would mean that regardless of their history in the group, they'd still be friends with the others the same exact way as before, you know? This feeling like they've been friends since childhood and experienced the same hardships together. Are those feelings gone now, along with the memories?

The backstories and personalities haven't changed so much that I honestly think that it's going to come up, or be explored in the comic at all. I think it's going to settle with 'they were friends before, they are friends now, the end.' But Sally met Sonic different. Antoine met Bunnie different. Rotor came into the group different. They're things that I expect should change the way the group works, at least a little, but while I'm reading, I still get this sense that they're supposed to be friends in the same way as before, and they're maybe not.

I apologize, it's really hard to describe what I'm trying to get across.

And I just think, for someone who doesn't browse the forums, and who doesn't have that definitive word of God that the memory subplot is over and done with, having the Origins stories alongside what seems to be our old heroes still in the process of forgetting things, it might get confusing about who exactly these characters are. It's confusing for me, and I do know what's going on. :P
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby lonewolf23k » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:32 am

TheFatPanda wrote:It's also worth noting that, like in the old timeline, young Bunnie had a different, more primitive-looking set of robotic limbs, before trading them in for a new set later on.

More then that, she had her original set of robot limbs.
lonewolf23k
BumbleFan

Postby Sunwalker » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm

I found an easter egg on Antoine's origin story:
Star Light Wars.jpg

Note the tittle of the book, it is Star Light Wars.

Spoiler: show
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Zulon Eredas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:15 am

Picked up the digest issue at my local Wal-Mart yearterday and I can't help but feel sorry for young-Twan in that panel where he's trudging through the rain.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby apprentice manta » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:28 pm

I've got the digest now & read the story. I really liked that walk through the rain panel, but had a different reaction to it. I didn't really feel sorry for Antoine, I thought the point was Ant was feeling sorry for himself, but then he saw Bunnie, realized that other people had problems they worked through, so he decided to become a better, stronger person. If anything I was glad he had that revelation early on instead of moping or chasing after Sally for years on a crush that will never be reciprocated.

Tough lessons, but ones that might be especially relevant to younger Sonic readers.
1. Love is not always "just like the fairy tales." No one is obligated to love you back just cause you want them to.
2. Everyone wants to be important or make a good impression sometimes. But acting like you're [brave, smart, confident, etc.] won't make people think you have those qualities. They can tell you're acting, & will dismiss you as a phony, even if you had good intentions.
3. If you want to develop positive qualities like bravery, work towards that. Form friendships, get advice from friends you trust. Don't despair if it seems like you've made no progress. Most character development is gradual, it doesn't happen overnight.
4. Be honest to yourself & to your friends. Accept your limits, work on your flaws, celebrate your strengths w/out bragging, be a team player even if you cannot be the star.

Antoine's Origin Story is really well done. The entire comic was cool, would recommend it to any comic book fan, not just Sonic ones.

(My husband is only casually interested in Sonic, but he read this Digest cover to cover. According to him "first story is really nice, but Trouble In Paradise was the best in the issue. Great art, great writing." He cared about both plots- Tails desire for respect, him getting bullied by Speedy; Antoine & Bunnie trying to have a vacation but getting captured. He figured out Ant saw Tails' sub, so he correctly guessed Tails & Ant will work together next issue, then Bunnie will join them & they'll stop the Angry Birds. <--- yes, that's his nickname for the Armada. XD

He also praised the Riders story for feeling like a prologue to the game even to the point where it mimicked the Riders art style. He laughed at Tails convenient excuse to have built hoverboards/Extreme Gear. Eggman was just like the games, threatening but a little silly. The Rogues had the same personalities he knew from Riders. The brief panels of angry, punchy 'protect my friends' Knuckles felt more game accurate than all the Knuckles archives stories. Reuben hates the Knux series so he was glad the digest had different writers.

"They should have hired Ian long ago, then you'd have more good comics!" ~Reuben, referencing how some of my collection is Archive reprints & some of it is new material. He has a definite preference for the newer Sonic. He likes Chaotix Caper, Waves Of Change, & Worlds Collide, all stories we've bought this year.)

*Yes, I know Ian has written years worth of comics, stories that I used to own but lost. It will take some time to build up a larger collection again. But Reuben doesn't know how many comics there are. He just knows I should look for "the ones after Ken left".
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:20 pm

misspuar wrote:I've got the digest now & read the story. I really liked that walk through the rain panel, but had a different reaction to it. I didn't really feel sorry for Antoine, I thought the point was Ant was feeling sorry for himself, but then he saw Bunnie, realized that other people had problems they worked through, so he decided to become a better, stronger person. If anything I was glad he had that revelation early on instead of moping or chasing after Sally for years on a crush that will never be reciprocated.

Tough lessons, but ones that might be especially relevant to younger Sonic readers.
1. Love is not always "just like the fairy tales." No one is obligated to love you back just cause you want them to.

If we ever get something like Moebius again...

Spoiler: show
Anti-Antoine/Patch/Whatever should totally wear a fedora. ;P

I was a little surprised in that Archie didn't take the opportunity to tweak the Tails Adventure story slightly so that it could potentially work within the new universe, i.e. change "Dark Egg Legion" to "Egg Army," or whatever the term is now.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius