Ask Ian for January '08 - New Year, Same Old Gimmick

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian for January '08 - New Year, Same Old Gimmick

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:44 am

Happy New Year! Let’s review the rules, shall we?

The New Rules wrote: The New Rules

1) Answers Will Come Weekly

Counting from midnight (EST) on Sunday and going into the very last minute of Saturday of each week I'll take questions. Updates will come the following Sunday, and anything submitted on that Sunday will have to wait the week.

2) Five Questions Per Person

Same old rule from before - you get five questions a week, maximum. You don't have to ask five, and anything over five will be ignored. You get a total of five per week, so you're free to post some now and some later. Since that limitation didn't seem to limit too much, however, there's a new wrinkle . . .

3) Limited Number of Answers

I will be selecting questions that I feel will elicit the most thoughtful or informative responses. Questions that look to clarify plot points are good. Asking my opinion about the latest movie isn't the best idea. I don't expect to be picking more than five questions total per week, but it will depend on what's asked per week. I'm not playing favorites or making a statement about anybody's questions. I'm trying to maximize the effectiveness of this feature. So choose your questions carefully.

If we go a dry week, I may go back to questions I passed the first time around and answer them. Still, I'm investing my time to answer y'all's questions. I just ask that some time is invested on your (collective) end.

4) What You Should Post

There is one thing you can post in these threads:

Questions!

No mini-reviews, no reactions to previous questions, no answers - questions only.

Do not post discussion, chatter, corrections, reactions, anything else! If you clutter the thread with anything other than Q&A, your post will be deleted.

5) Wait, what happened to the temporary bans?

Unfortunately, enforcing the rule of the week-long bans ended up creating a greater work-load than managing the Q&A. Another large part of it was I hate banning people. I don't like playing the bad guy. So instead we'll be going with the quicker, cleaner deletion of offending posts. If your post is missing, you did something wrong. Don't do it again, please.

6) Wow . . . This Sure Is . . . Strict

It's a necessary evil to ensure you and everyone else gets the most direct access to the information. If things go well, I might loosen things up a little. But I would rather you all get your answers like this than staying silent forever.

So, with all that scary moderator business out of the way, let's get to asking!

Questions from the Previous Thread

Bionic Slime wrote:1. Who or what was Project: Metal Snively that Robotnik canceled after Mecha "betrayed" him?

2. Earlier on Rotor and Tails (I believe it was those 2) were discussing about Shadow's origins and it was possibly suggested that Shadow not only may not be a Mobian hedgehog, but he may not be a hedgehog at all. So my question is, what is/was Shadow? Is he a hedgehog that was experimented on and mutated into his current form by Prof. Gerald or was he "made from scratch" in Gerald's lab?

3. One Sonic Super special issue included several crossovers with the likes of Spawn, Shadow hawk, and Savage Dragon. Are there or will there ever be any chances that a crossover from ANY media be it another comic, TV show, or something will ever show up and if not, is there something you personally would like to see crossover with Sonic?

4. When Dr. Finitevus was introduced, was his back story always planned to be due to Knuckles chaos radiation during his stay at Albion or was it JUST then created to give Finitevus a background that tied in with Knuckles?

5. Since Mobius is future Earth, is it possible at all that the fact Mobius is Earth will come into play into any future stories or possibilities? Like (example) if Sonic or Shadow discover the ancient ruins of famous cities like New York, Chicago, or Tokyo or something. Or someone who lived through that time through some means (like cryogenic tubes or something) or would including real cities be too "personal" a connection?

Ask Ian for 12/30/07 to 1/5/08

Question #1 wrote: I'm curious about one thing. Why didn't Finitevus just throw Locke into the Twilight Zone to get him out of the way or experiment on him?

Two reasons.

Firstly, Locke was not savaged by Dr. Eggman’s forces like the Brotherhood. The old men were in no condition to fight. Locke, however, is quite the accomplished fighter. The path of least resistance would be to direct him elsewhere than fight him.

Secondly, Locke was a fail-safe in case the Enerjak ploy fell through. Locke had the Brotherhood’s weapon and the conviction to use it. Should Finitevus have lost control of Enerjak, it would be easy enough to put him in Locke’s sights.

Thirdly – loosely – it’s in his nature. That is an aspect I’d prefer to delve into deeper at a later point in the comic itself.

Question #2 wrote: Will you ever draw a comic?

Not likely. I think I’ve got a decent enough drawing had to do concept sketches, but that’s about it. All the concept work I’ve done has been fleshed out splendidly by Spaz and Tracy Yardley.

I did do a 10-page segment of a small publication. First person to sniff that out wins a cookie. Or maybe a real prize. I dunno. We’ll see.

Question #3 wrote: If Dimitri was Enerjak originally... Is Knuckles using the name because he has the powers like Enerjak (Basically thinking he IS Enerjak), or is it something more like split personality/"demon" possession thing where Enerjak's evil "soul" is possessing Knuckles?

See STH#181’s back-up, “Undone,” for the key moment. Through Dr. Finitevus manipulations, Knuckles was goaded towards the one persona he knows who’s been the most competent with such Chaos power – Enerjak.

“Enerjak” is a title, not a being. Whether it was Dimitri or Knuckles, though, it was always a corruption of their best ideals – the end result of the “ultimate power ultimately corrupts” notion.

Question #4 wrote:
Previous on Ask Ian wrote: Question #13 wrote:
Is South Island a real location in Mobius?

In terms of the SegaSonic? No, there is not. Whether or not we decide to create/include a South Island remains to be seen.

Didn't Bunnie say she wanted a vacation on South Island when she sucker-punched M?

I’d forgotten that, so South Island does exist in some form. However, it still isn’t present within the same confines as the SegaSonic South Island.

Question #5 wrote: As I read the issue where scourge was introduced, I couldn't help but notice that he looked like Psyguy's character. Was this Intentional, or was it just a coincidence?

I seemed to have been one of the last people to hear that such a connection had been made. No, Psyguy was most definitely not used as a basis for Scourge. I fail to see any real correlation between the two. Let us examine them in length:

Scourge
- black leather jacket a hold-over from Evil Sonic
- shades also a hold-over from Evil Sonic
- boots redesigned for Scourge, but in the comic were a hold-over from Evil Sonic
- green spines (possibly a nod to “Ashura,” you’d have to ask Spaz)
- sky blue eyes

Psyguy (circa last time I’d seen anything by him, so a few years ago)
- orange-and-blue gi just like Goku of DBZ
- giant bat wings
- StC-Super Sonic’s bushy up-turned spines
- StC-Super Sonic’s red swirly eyes
- green spines

If he’s since changed his avatar again, I haven’t seen it. But I know for a fact he has not had any influence on the comic.

And while I certainly don’t want to come across as insensitive, if there were any feelings of being slighted, one only has to search DeviantART for all the other green (or red, or any other color) Sonics in leather.

Question #6 wrote: Will the order forms for the back issues of the comic be making a reappearence, I've noticed that they've been missing for a while.

Well color me embarrassed – I hadn’t even noticed they’d gone missing! I don’t know why, but I would guess it was due to space needed to run the ads. Rest assured it will pop up eventually. How else do we expect you to get a subscription?

Well, aside from www.ArchieComics.com.

Question #7 wrote: Is there a chance that the Shadow Androids will be making an appearence in the future.

No plans for the Shadow Androids to appear any time soon.

Question #8 wrote: Was the bunker featured in the Good, the Bad, and the Unknown area 51.

I’d have to go back and re-read through the arc to see if there were any clues pointing to that. I don’t know if that was Ken Penders’s plan, so I can’t say for sure. But since Rouge disarmed the nuclear stockpile there (STH#165) I don’t expect us to be returning there any time soon.
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby medalis » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:17 pm

Hmm... more questions:

1)Will we see Sabrina(not Dulcy's mom) again?

2)Is the Robotasizer gone for good?

3)Tails is supposed to be the greatest hero on Mobius, defeating the most powerful villain ever. Does that mean Tails is the only one who can stop EnerKnuckles? He seems a lot more powerful than Mogul.

4)How do you come up with ideas for the storylines?

5)Will the guys at Archie reprint the Sonic Comic(cant rember the name)where Sonic swithes bodies with Knuckles?

Thanks Mr.Potto!
Last edited by medalis on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medalis
BumbleFan

Postby GameBuddy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:05 pm

My one and only question for this week would be this:

How do you go about keeping all of the characters within their characters as you come up with these original story arcs? Do you have a character bible? Do you also have to approve EVERYTHING by SEGA? Are their really very tight restrictions on Sonic's character such as not showing him in tears? (Forgive me if this sounds like a compound question.)
GameBuddy
BumbleCult

Postby oca2007 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:58 am

1) Will all seven chaos emeralds come together again on mobius from the zone of silence?

2) How is it that Sonic is able to use the power of the master emerald when Finitevus has blocked it from all users but himself?

3) Will there ever be a return to Knothole?

4) Will there be more of Archimedes after the Enerjack saga?

5) Is there anything that you haven't told us that you want to tell us?
oca2007
BumbleNewbie

Postby Para » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:36 am

1. Will the Ask Ian/Ask Tracy table of contents be updated soon?

2. Have you ever thought of yourself as an "Enerjak" of sorts, what with having the ability to change/write the destinies of the Sonic characters or kill them off altogether, change the settings and plot, and restructure their reality? (less evil, of course) :wink:

3. Whatever happened to The Box? :(hearty laughter):

4. If you can name any just off the top of your head, who are some of your favorite comic authors?

5. Are there any characters/situations you find particularly difficult to write for?
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby Rafski » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 am

1. In the Tails miniseries #2-3, Athair says he is the great-grandfather of the guardian and his blood flows through Knuckles' veins. He also talks in riddles that Tails' great-grandfather's blood flows through Tails' veins. Is this a nod that Tails' great-grandfather was the chosen one at some point?

2. What happened to the "Magic Crown of the Acorn Kings" that was shown in the Sonic mini-series after it was restored?

3. If you had an option to do a mini-series on a character, which would it be on and why?

4. Do you think at some stage we will soon see Sonic-grams come back into the comics? Possibly even the Fan-art section as well?

5. Can you describe Fiona's personality?
Last edited by Rafski on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rafski
BumbleFan

Postby Zulon Eredas » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:48 pm

Hey Ian

1) Is there a chance that we'll be seeing the Egg Emperor from Sonic Heroes?

2) Will Eggman and S.O.N.I.C.X. find themselves in conflict with one another?
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Been a while. Here are the questions:

1) Going back a bit into late 2006, is there a canon reason why ADAM could not use the Nanites to infect the Babble-Node that's hard-wired to Sonic's brain as he infected Bunnie, Jules and Nicole?

2) Related to the above, is there any plan to address or utilize the Babble-Node or Sonic's ability to speak and understand any language?

3) Will we be receiving any FCBD-loving from the Archie Sonic team this May?

4) Can you give us any insight into why no new Sonic TPBs have been announced recently, or when we might expect details?
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Ashram » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Although I'm a newbie here, I'm a pretty hardcore Sonic fan, from both th games and the Archie style of comics. So, here are a few good ones for you.

1. Were there, or is there plans to give Silver the Hedgehog (From Sonic the Hedgehoog 2006) an appearance?

2. Way back in the olden days of the Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles special, did Archie know that it took seven (Or six depending on the continuity of the comics) Super Emeralds AND the Master Emerald to go Hyper? If so, why didn't Super Sonic take the same route and go Hyper as well?

3. On the same subject as #2, will we ever seen an appearance of Super Tails in the comics? (Not the same as Turbo Tails, trust me.)

4. Upon reviewing the Brotherhood of Guardians and the Dark Legion, coupled with their power to use the Chaos Force, wouldn't you agree they might be modeled after the Jedi and the Sith? (Just throwing that one out there.)

5. Will Dr. Finitevus be an ongoing villian, or is he just the flavor of the arc? (Best villian ever, in my opinion.)
Ashram
BumbleKnight

Postby Sockie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:36 am

Would you want to work in elements from Sonic Chronicles even if SEGA said an adaption wasn't needed?
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby beowolf master of ctalin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:59 am

Ian, what are your personal favoret towareds the villan aspect? An A list villan like Dr. Robotnik or Mammoth Mongul or a B list villan like Bean and Bark.
beowolf master of ctalin
BumbleFan

Postby The Loose Cannon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Who would you like to see as playable characters in Sonic Chronicles from the video game universe and/or archieverse (though the latter is 99.9% unlikely)?

Will Spaz design another cover for the regular book or is he just doing archives and SX?

Was Moritori Rex tossed into the Twlight Zone after being experimented on or was he sparred or died at some point?
The Loose Cannon
BumbleFan

Postby Glaber » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:28 pm

After rereading issue 50 (and superspecial 6) it was revealed that Knothole was not destroyed but was somehow sent 3 hours forwards, temporarily. According to your answer from when I last asked about the subs they were scuttled in that issue. (Main question following) 1. So if the rest of Knothole was restored because of that "Time Zone" are you really sure that both the Sea Fox and Bathysphere are lost for good at the bottom of the Knothole Underground Canal System?

2. What would you do if a fan requested something useing reverse requesting such as saying to not do something when they instead wanted you to do it?

3. From the souns of it you do have plans of getting Sonic and Sally back together. Does this plan involve them building a more realistic believeable releationship?
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 am

Answers for 1/6/08 - 1/12/08

Question #1 wrote:Who or what was Project: Metal Snively that Robotnik canceled after Mecha "betrayed" him?

I have no idea. The project was canceled and trashed, though, so it's a moot point.

Question #2 wrote:Earlier on Rotor and Tails (I believe it was those 2) were discussing about Shadow's origins and it was possibly suggested that Shadow not only may not be a Mobian hedgehog, but he may not be a hedgehog at all. So my question is, what is/was Shadow? Is he a hedgehog that was experimented on and mutated into his current form by Prof. Gerald or was he "made from scratch" in Gerald's lab?

As detailed in STH#171, Shadow was created by Prof. Gerald and Black Doom. He's mobian only so much in how he looks.

Question #3 wrote:When Dr. Finitevus was introduced, was his back story always planned to be due to Knuckles chaos radiation during his stay at Albion or was it JUST then created to give Finitevus a background that tied in with Knuckles?

The origin featured in STH#183 was of my own creation. I don't know what Karl Bollars ever had planned for him.

Question #4 wrote:Since Mobius is future Earth, is it possible at all that the fact Mobius is Earth will come into play into any future stories or possibilities?

Possibly, but I have no immediate plans on dwelling on that part of Mobius's history.

Question #5 wrote:How do you go about keeping all of the characters within their characters as you come up with these original story arcs? Do you have a character bible?

To answer out of order: yes, there is a character bible. Part of my duties is to keep it up to date with new Sega material and events in the comic as they're published.

Something I pride myself in is keeping each player in character. Having grown up with these characters I approach each situation asking how they would react, not necessarily how would best move the narrative along. When the story follows the motivations of the cast it proves to be more interesting that something directed by the will of the plot.

I'm afraid there's no really simple answer. Lots of writing practice, lots of character analysis, and lots of thought go into it. And, ultimately, I hope it comes out making sense and feeling honest.

Question #6 wrote:Do you also have to approve EVERYTHING by SEGA? Are their really very tight restrictions on Sonic's character such as not showing him in tears?

Yes, everything has to approved by Sega. Personally, I've not chaffed under their restrictions - which are basically to keep the property recognizable and bee all-ages friendly. The "Sonic can't cry" bit hasn't been relevant for years.

Question #7 wrote:Will all seven chaos emeralds come together again on mobius from the zone of silence?

They tend to do that. The question is when that will happen. And, no, I'm not telling.

Question #8 wrote:How is it that Sonic is able to use the power of the master emerald when Finitevus has blocked it from all users but himself?

I anticipate the answer to this will be slow in coming. Sonic's tie to the Chaos energies and all their incarnations is something I want to reveal slowly over my tenure on the book.

Question #9 wrote:Will there ever be a return to Knothole?

No plans for that right now. We went to a lot of effort to destroy it and we're invested in building up New Mobotropolis. It would be a little premature to back-peddle so heavily now, wouldn't it?

Question #10 wrote:Will the Ask Ian/Ask Tracy table of contents be updated soon?

If you mean links to each thread, it is up to date. If you mean a page-by-page synopsis of each thread, then no, it won't ever be. To quote the Table of Contents:

Table of Contents wrote:Due to the sheer volume of material the Table of Contents has become too burdensome to maintain. The page-by-page references for the past seventy-five pages will remain. From here on out there will be quick-links to the topics past and present.

Question #11 wrote:Are there any characters/situations you find particularly difficult to write for?

Amy Rose took me a while to get into, which is part of the reason I wrote "Worth the Effort." Otherwise I haven't felt too daunted by what I've taken on. Sometimes I go for stories that are too big - too many characters, too much information, too much action going on at once - and I have to reel myself in.

The biggest challenge I've faced is switching mental gears between doing a script for SX and STH. The silliness of SX can bleed into STH, leading to some jokes that aren't really needed at the moment. Through the magic of revision, though, we get everything straightened out.

Question #12 wrote:In the Tails miniseries #2-3, Athair says he is the great-grandfather of the guardian and his blood flows through Knuckles' veins. He also talks in riddles that Tails' great-grandfather's blood flows through Tails' veins. Is this a nod that Tails' great-grandfather was the chosen one at some point?

I went back through the Tails mini-series and I'm afraid I don't see that line or anything like it. If you'd like to point out the issue, page number and panels I can go over it again.

Question #13 wrote:What happened to the "Magic Crown of the Acorn Kings" that was shown in the Sonic mini-series after it was restored?

If you're referring to the Crown of Acorns worn by King Maximilian, it was destroyed by Sir Connery in STH#164. If you're referring to the mini-series that came before STH's regular run, we can safely count it out of continuity.

Question #14 wrote:Do you think at some stage we will soon see Sonic-grams come back into the comics? Possibly even the Fan-art section as well?

All of that will be shifting to ArchieComics.com's new title-specific blogs.

Question #15 wrote:Going back a bit into late 2006, is there a canon reason why ADAM could not use the Nanites to infect the Babble-Node that's hard-wired to Sonic's brain as he infected Bunnie, Jules and Nicole?

No, there's no canonical reason outside of ADAM didn't know to look for it. One could presume that the alien tech would be resistant to the "inferior" Eggman tech, but it's something of a moot point now.

Question #16 wrote:Is there any plan to address or utilize the Babble-Node or Sonic's ability to speak and understand any language?

It's not likely it will come up since, short of Antoine, everybody seems to speak the same language on Mobius. So unless I find a reason to incorporate Muttski or some aliens, we don't really have a need for it.

Question #17 wrote:Will we be receiving any FCBD-loving from the Archie Sonic team this May?

There will be a FCBD comic.

Question #18 wrote:Can you give us any insight into why no new Sonic TPBs have been announced recently, or when we might expect details?

I'm afraid I don't have any details, but rest assured that the series is still healthy. There will be many more "Sonic Classics" coming, and "Sonic Selects" should be debuting sometime this year.

Question #19 wrote:Way back in the olden days of the Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles special, did Archie know that it took seven (Or six depending on the continuity of the comics) Super Emeralds AND the Master Emerald to go Hyper? If so, why didn't Super Sonic take the same route and go Hyper as well?

Back in the day, the matter of emeralds and rings was played fast and loose. It worked fine then, but part of my agenda when I joined the book was to tighten things up. As it stands, the super-forms require the seven Chaos Emeralds or a direct feed off the Master Emerald.

In terms of "Super" versus "Hyper," I'm going off of the titles presented in previous issues. Neither is more powerful than the other. "Super" is Sonic's title, while "Hyper" is Knuckles's and "Turbo" is Tails's. And, for future reference, Shadow and Silver both get "Super" while Blaze gets "Burning."

There has been some confusion in the past. Sonic and Tails received "Ultra" and "Hyper," respectively, but that was exposure to innumerable magic rings. Knuckles mistakenly referred to himself as "Super" during "Return to Angel Island." And let's not even get on the topic of the Solar/Polar/Eco/etc. Sonics.

Question #20 wrote:Upon reviewing the Brotherhood of Guardians and the Dark Legion, coupled with their power to use the Chaos Force, wouldn't you agree they might be modeled after the Jedi and the Sith?

Not really, no. For one thing the vast majority of the echidna mythos was crafted by Ken Penders who professed to be more into Star Trek than Star Wars. The visual gags were all easter eggs by Manny Galan.

One could draw a few parallels between the Brotherhood and the Jedi - an elite few who gain telepathic and telekenetic-like powers by channeling a "Force." But the Brotherhood's interests lay in protecting Angel Island where as the Jedi were about protecting the galaxy and promoting universal peace. And they had lightsabers.

The Dark Legion is nothing like the Sith. While none of the writers (my self included) have had much time to delve into it, I always got the feeling there was a close-knit kinship among them; a small band "persecuted" and having to rely on each other. They have no connection to the Chaos Force (Moritori Rex and Dimitri being the two very tenuous exceptions). So outside of wearing black robes and some carrying flamming swords I see no real parallel.

Question #21 wrote:Would you want to work in elements from Sonic Chronicles even if SEGA said an adaption wasn't needed?

It all depends on what SC:TDB introduces. Shade looks pretty neat, though, so hopefully she'll bring something to the table we can use at some point.

Question #22 wrote:Ian, what are your personal favoret towareds the villan aspect? An A list villan like Dr. Robotnik or Mammoth Mongul or a B list villan like Bean and Bark.

I like a mixture of the two, actually. I like the kind of villain who has an undeniable presence, someone of obvious power, but plays it very close to the vest. My favorite villains are soft-spoken and create their menace through punctuated acts of dazzling villainy.

A couple of examples that immediately spring to mind are kingpin Frank Lucas of American Gangster, Slade from the animated Teen Titans, and Prof. Ratigan of the Disney classic The Great Mouse Detective.

Question #23 wrote:Will Spaz design another cover for the regular book or is he just doing archives and SX?

I'm sure Spaz will return to cover duty on STH eventually. Right now he's swamped with SX, Sonic Archives and Sonic Selects. Until then we can enjoy the lead art team working together on our current covers.

Question #24 wrote:Was Moritori Rex tossed into the Twlight Zone after being experimented on or was he sparred or died at some point?

Moritori Rex was one of the "old men" sent into the Twilight Zone.

Question #25 wrote:So if the rest of Knothole was restored because of that "Time Zone" are you really sure that both the Sea Fox and Bathysphere are lost for good at the bottom of the Knothole Underground Canal System?

Knothole was not "restored" by the blast from the Ultimate Annihilator. It was moved three hours into the future, nothing more. When Sonic restored it with the power of the Green Super Emerald, he simply returned it to its place in space-time.

It would be moot since all of Knothole was razed in STH#175. And the issue is further moot since, thanks to Nicole, both vehicles could conceivably be reconstructed in New Mobotropolis with the nanites. That said there are no plans currently to bring them back.

Question #26 wrote:What would you do if a fan requested something useing reverse requesting such as saying to not do something when they instead wanted you to do it?

How would I know they were using reverse psychology on me? I would take their request into account with all the others. If someone asked, let's say, to keep the classic Robotnik from returning in hopes I would to the opposite, they better pray the majority doesn't agree with their tricky request - they'd just add the the pile counter to their desires.

The bottom line: I like to do things simply. If you want something to happen, submit it to the editor and, if there's enough demand for it, it might happen one day.

And now, we return to a question I couldn't answer earlier:

Old Q&A wrote:
The Question wrote:What is the deal with the Robians in Sandblast city? I mean are they real Robians or just robots? They managed to remain unaffected by Robotnik's ultimate annihilator "Robian free wave" back in Sonic 50# and it was never explained why, or if they had become cured by the Bem's deroboticizing wave or not.

Only the Robians here Robotropolis/Old Mobotropolis were freed in STH#50. All others operated under their old commands, and it seemed implied that Robo-Robotnik/Dr. Eggman was pulling their strings later on.

I would assume they were part of the mass-derobotization. I can’t recall when the “Bunnie vs. the Robians” story fell, and I’m away from my library right now. I’ll have to return to this question.

After reviewing the back issues, it looks like there's nothing new to add. STH#119 doesn't answer any questions about the enduring malevolent robians; all they do is attack Bunnie. The Bem didn't mass-deroboticize the world until STH#123. As for details on the free-will induced during STH#50 is only slightly clarified in SSS#2 in which Sir Charles explains to the gathered robians that it was the Ultimate Annihilator that freed them. Since this was a localized event I would assume it only freed those within the city.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Woot

Postby FrogLenzen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:57 am

Hey, Ian!

I'm always seeing you and others talk about the "enormous cast." Would you ever consider retiring a character (permanently) in a way OTHER than death? (I mean like some TV dramas do [ER, L&O], where a character leaves the show but not because they died). And I'm not necessarily referring only to the bland/minor characters.
FrogLenzen
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius