Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby ME » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:58 pm

I was wondering something about Knuckles in MB25yl. Um why was he so lame... I mean the guy became a demi-god for a time being, he turned green! I know he gave up the power he had in order to save the day only to have sonic do it instead, but why in MB25yl would Knuckles let any of that slide? Much less be the head police officer? Yes he did in the end help his daughter and Sonic both, but why let it get that far in the first place?

I would figure if the timeline changed the exact instant Sonic left Knuckels would instantly take up the slack. I always thought of Knuckles as the kinda guy who had Sonic's back. They are rivals but more or less friends.

I dont know I just thought it was really out of character for Knuckles to do that. I figured he would have done what his daughter did the instant things were diffrent, and perhaps his daughter would avenge him... I could have seen that, but as is, I was kinda :?: about it.

I guess I am just venting my confusion into the form of a semi-question. But I really did find it out of character.
ME
BumbleFan

Postby TheSlyder » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:35 am

Wait, wait, wait. I've got one that's been bugging me for the bigger part of 10+ years.

What's up with Knuckles' knuckles? Under those gloves, does he have two spikes growing, or what? If so, are they like Wolverine's, in the sense that they're bone potruding from the skin? (Because can you imagine how painful it would be to punch something with them if there was a layer of nerves and skin covering them?)

Do you know what the process of character creation is like with the comic? (Is there one person in charge of designing characters, or is it just the artist that happens to be doing the issue that they debut in?) I'm curious about thi mostly because of Ash.

He -seriously- looks like one of those "fursonas" that furries make. (If you're not really familiar with the furry community, some of them will draw or create animal versions of themselves, and refer to it as a "fursona.")

Er...To summarize that, Ash looks like a character that they found on Team Artail, and put it into the comic.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:44 am

Humans have skin and nerves covering our hands, and yet it doesn't exactly stop us from punching stuff.
If an animal like Knuckles was born with something like that, then one would imagine it evolved for a purpose. In Knuckles' case, it would be for burrowing and climbing rocks, which would require his to punch a lot of harder-than usual objects, which would mean his knuckles would actually be more resistant tp pain than most critters.

Having said that, the Archie explanation for Knuckles' trademarks is genetic mutation, brought upon by his own father experimenting on him. Personally I prefer the old "Born with 'em" explanation.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:05 am

Actually, Archie's continuity is the only continuity I know of that goes with the spike knuckles being part of Knuckles' body. In the old Sonic the Hedgehog 3 manuel, it mentions that he is able to dig using his 'specialty gloves'. Also, in renders of the characters, you can see that the spikes look attached to the gloves, and are not fabric. Sonic X also supports this, but it in itself is a continuity apart from both the games AND Sonic Archie.

Postby Pundit » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:46 pm

genetic mutation, brought upon by his own father experimenting on him

Personally I prefer the old "Born with 'em" explanation.

Eh, maybe the two aren't incompatible.

Slyder, allow me to show you a frame from Knuckles 25:

Granted, it does look like skin covering the spurs. Maybe it doesn't have nerves in it.

I suspect you're only mentioning Ash because he behaves like an annoying emo teenager.
Pundit
BumbleNewbie

Postby PseudoCompulsionn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:48 pm

ME wrote:I would figure if the timeline changed the exact instant Sonic left Knuckels would instantly take up the slack. I always thought of Knuckles as the kinda guy who had Sonic's back. They are rivals but more or less friends.

I'm not really going to try to rationalize the, er, dubious science of the M:25YL arc, but remember that, when the timeline changed, it wasn't just that the world was suddenly different. The differences were all the result of 25 years of altered history. We don't really know what happened to Knuckles in those 25 years to make him throw his lot in with Shadow. The way I imagine it, all of a sudden Knuckles, chief enforcer for King Shadow (for whatever reason), had memories of a different past, and decided to act on his new knowledge, hence his helping Sonic, Tails and Lara-Su.

Did that make sense? It's hard to write about.
PseudoCompulsionn
BumbleNewbie

Postby Kamal » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:18 pm

I finally clued in on this...

In 167, why was Shadow ruling from Angel Island? And how did Sonic get up there?
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:36 pm

Ian remember back in issue 126 when Sonic was on the alien planet and they had what looked like red chaos emeralds and they brought fourth an evil Super Sonic. I know how the Chaos Emeralds came to be in the first place (in the GBU arc I think) but do you think that the Mobius emeralds and alien emeralds may have some kind of connection with each other?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:27 pm

TheSlyder wrote:Er...To summarize that, Ash looks like a character that they found on Team Artail, and put it into the comic.

Is there something wrong with artists from Team Artail? :wink:

...nevermind that at least two of them have penciled for the comic.

Anyway, though, what else would you expect? Most fan-created characters are somewhat derivative of already-existing SegaSonic-ish characters in order to fit in with the style and universe, so why would the Archie-created characters be different?

Toby Barret wrote:Also, in renders of the characters, you can see that the spikes look attached to the gloves, and are not fabric. Sonic X also supports this, but it in itself is a continuity apart from both the games AND Sonic Archie.

I dunno...in Sonic X, Knuckles also ends up breaking the spurs at one point and it seems to cause him a good deal of pain.

... on the other hand, they either regrew really fast or they were part of the gloves and were replaced, as he had them back the next episode.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Goldanas » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:49 pm

Yeah, that Knuckles's knuckles deal is a good observation. I never really thought about it all that much.

But in addition to that, what's up with only three fingers!? I mean come on! Three fingers! Humans have four (in addition to a thumb which probably counts as a finger but that's a completely different can of worms), so why can't these fictitious, talking, cartoon animals have them? Where are the physics!?

Where's your continuity, now, Ian! You can't retcon your way out of this!

!

Or maybe that's it! You retconned the fourth finger, you diabolical madman! There will be justice! I demand fourth finger! Remember, Remember the Fourth Digital Member!
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:35 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
I dunno...in Sonic X, Knuckles also ends up breaking the spurs at one point and it seems to cause him a good deal of pain.

... on the other hand, they either regrew really fast or they were part of the gloves and were replaced, as he had them back the next episode.

Actually, I believe they were back in the exact same episode after they broke XD

And hey, a force strong enough to break those spikes that break boulders and robots has GOT to hurt the knuckles.

Postby Pundit » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:10 am

But in addition to that, what's up with only three fingers!?

You know, if nothing else at least Archie's been utterly consistent with echidnas having only three fingers and a thumb. Can't say the same thing for other characters; for example IIRC Elias has three in the Knuckles series and four now.

a force strong enough to break those spikes that break boulders and robots has GOT to hurt the knuckles

IMO once you start asking awkward questions like this you start to unravel the suspension of disbelief on which everything's built. It's why I don't hold with all those "Physics of the [flavor of the week] Universe" books that crop up in bookstores. Don't you find it much easier to ignore these troublesome issues?
Pundit
BumbleNewbie

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:33 am

Goldanas wrote:But in addition to that, what's up with only three fingers!? I mean come on! Three fingers! Humans have four (in addition to a thumb which probably counts as a finger but that's a completely different can of worms), so why can't these fictitious, talking, cartoon animals have them? Where are the physics!?

Where's your continuity, now, Ian! You can't retcon your way out of this!

!

Or maybe that's it! You retconned the fourth finger, you diabolical madman! There will be justice! I demand fourth finger! Remember, Remember the Fourth Digital Member!

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but I draw everyone with four fingers. I mean, all the Sega characters have four fingers, and I've always drawn hands with four fingers, and it would drive me crazy trying to remember who's got four and who's got three. Sorry if I've ruined the continuity ;)

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Kamal » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:28 am

:shock: Holy cow, you're right!

Oh, man, thank you! That was always one of the most inane points of continuity. That and how Sonic got green eyes. :roll:
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby PseudoCompulsionn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:30 am

Didn't Sonic's eyes turn green after some power boost (can't remember if it was rings or emeralds)? I remember because it also gave him buckles on his shoes. Which makes perfect sense!
PseudoCompulsionn
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius