Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Orion101 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:18 pm

I have to say Ian I enjoyed the M25YL story although I feel it was rushed and both parts of the story should have filled the intire issues they were in. Theirwere some plot holes left unresloved though.

1. What became of Lien-Da and her family, I would assume people would know about this. So if so she should be imprisoned, and if that's the case I can only imagine what life would be like for Rutan. Their is no way the Brotherhood won't be monitering his every move for the rest of his life. Plus their's the matter of where he would live I doubt they would let a floating head raise him, the poor kid. What is your take on all of this?

2. Are we going to be seeing any more signs of Hope's status as being technologically gifted?

3. Was the Chaotix caper an earlier story that was held off until now and had to be retooled? I ask this becuase The Leak seems to imply Rouge is staying in Knothole but here she is in Station Square.

4. I noticed that Fiona was observed attempting to rob store in Station Square does that mean she has a criminal record there.

5. I read that Locke is conisidered one of the greatest Gaurdians, in your opinion is that a title deserved.
Last edited by Orion101 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby Goldanas » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:42 pm

I'm jealous, Ian. Getting paid to do what you love must be the greatest thing since the Internet. Moreover, you get a dedicated fanbase, which could be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. (Frying pan over the head anyone?)

Well, I've got something on my mind as you may have guessed.
Recently, Nintendo has been looking into getting third party characters to jump into their latest installment of their popular series, Super Smash Bros. So far the first known entry is Snake of Konami's Metal Gear Solid fame. The requirements are that the character must have appeared in a game on a nintendo console. In Snake's case, this could be Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.

Now there have been rumors and even official Nintendo comments on a chance that Sonic might be in the game. Both Myamoto and Masahiro Sakurai have commented that Sonic the Hedgehog is the most fan requested character and that they do intend to include at least one other third-party character. Now we can all hope and dream, but this event may very well become a reality with the onset of these recent occurances and news bits. Sonic may very well be in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

While nothing is set in stone, it leads me to this:
Do you think you would do a comic adaptation for Sonic's appearance in SSBB? I'm sure SEGA would love to promote Sonic in anything, and the only difficult part would be getting Nintendo's approval.

I myself would have to say that I would LOVE a couple pages, if only that, dedicated to Sonic, Mario, Link, and Kirby interacting. That would be a dream come true.

I know that Ken Penders wanted to do something of the sort early on, but SEGA turned it down, which is understandable. If you had justifiable, marketed reasoning for the crossover, I don't see why it couldn't happen. So if Sonic is in the game, would you do it? Pleeeeeaaaaaase?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Taco » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:25 pm

Yeah, wow. A Super Smash Bros. Brawl-related story line would so awesome... (I personally would want to see something involving Fox McCloud. Heh.) Although that seems like it would not be directly linked to the Sonic universe... I would still love to see it, though. Please, Ian? Heh.

On the whole issue of language... I was curious, Ian. Is the no swearing thing something you uphold simply because you think that a younger audience might be reading this? Or is it due also in part to your own personal etiquette or beliefs? In other words, would I ever be able to catch you dropping an f-bomb or something somewhere that wasn't here? Or would that tarnish your image if you answered "yes?"

(Personally, I think that if he were not marketed to a children's audience, Sonic would swear. I don't think he would be like Goku. "Darnet, I can't swear!")

La la la... some other questions... I can't think of any that I don't think have already asked. (Like, for example, I want to ask what your favorite past story arc was, but I think I remember it being asked before... Although I just asked it in a round about way anyway... la la la...)

Let's throw in a random question, for good measure: What do you think of They Might Be Giants?

Wuv, Yer Mom (Do you think that catch phrase of mine is innapropriate? I was told on another board by a very anal individual that it was... heh. Don't answer this if it feels like a complete waste of time.)
Taco
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:04 am

Pundit wrote:But as far as you're willing to tell us, do you plan to abandon the Brotherhood concept, keep them on ice, or will we see them play any sort of role in the future?

You'll have to wait and see, but their will be a definitive answer. Hopefully it'll be next year.

Orion101 wrote:1. What became of Lien-Da and her family

That's not a plot hole at all. If we have the time/demand to do another M25YL story, maybe we can answer that. An unresolved/potential future plot point does not equal a plot hole.

Actually, none of these questions reference a plot hole of any kind.

Orion101 wrote:2. Are we going to be seeing any more signs of Hope's status as being technologically gifted?

In a round-about way, yes.

Orion101 wrote:3. Was the Chaotix caper an earlier story that was held off until now and had to be retooled? I ask this becuase The Leak seems to imply Rouge is staying in Knothole but here she is in Station Square.

Rouge is a resourceful woman. I'm sure she could get back to the heart of the United Federation if need be. But, yes, this was an inventory I was asked to spruce up.

Orion101 wrote:4. I noticed that Fiona was observed attempting to rob store in Station Square does that mean she has a criminal record there.

Yes.

Orion101 wrote:5. I read that Locke is conisidered one of the greatest Gaurdians, in your opinion is that a title deserved.

Not in the least. I'd be interested in hearing a case for Locke.

Goldanas wrote:(Super Smash Bros. Brawl + Sonic Story)

Let me speak of myself first. If Sonic doesn't show up in SSBB, I do believe angry mobs will be justified. Word is he didn't make it into SSBM simply because it was approved too late in the development process. If Solid freakin' Snake can be in there, Sonic bloody well ought to be.

Now, as the professional - no possible way. Nada. Zip. Zero. A SSBB story would be, when you boil it down, and ad for the game. That's what Sonic/Sonic X are in terms of function. We all do our best to make them more, sure, but we're still part of a bigger license and the point of that is to make money. (I'm in it for the love, too, but we're not talking about me anymore).

Nintendo isn't going to want a one-time (or even two-time) ad for a game in a book that otherwise doesn't acknowledge them. And the legalities of featuring even the most essential core characters would be debilitating. Watch the credits for all the names and development teams in SSBM - and they're all in-house Nintendo!

Don't get me wrong, folks. I would love to write the epic confrontation between Sonic and Mario. A Smash Bros. story would be a lot of fun. But there is no possible way we would get the green light if we pursued it.

Taco del Fish wrote:On the whole issue of language... I was curious, Ian. Is the no swearing thing something you uphold simply because you think that a younger audience might be reading this? Or is it due also in part to your own personal etiquette or beliefs? In other words, would I ever be able to catch you dropping an f-bomb or something somewhere that wasn't here? Or would that tarnish your image if you answered "yes?"

Since Sonic is an all-ages book, I want the forum to be an all-ages forum. That and I find a reliance on "dirty words" can stifle one's creativity in discussion or dialogue. That being said, there are some moments when one of the four-letter words or "b--at" just works. Those occasions need the right character and the right moment - neither of which would ever really pop up in this comic.

But you better believe I can make my opinion known in short, concise words. There have been games and drivers that have evoked long strings of virulent (and even creative!) combinations of words that would make a pastor blush.

Taco del Fish wrote:(Personally, I think that if he were not marketed to a children's audience, Sonic would swear. I don't think he would be like Goku. "Darnet, I can't swear!")

If Sonic were to curse at all, I'd think it would be a casual, rare occurance. Something momunmentally bad happens and he blinks, sets his hands on his hips and observers: "Well....@#$%." But that could just as easily be a "huh," or "crap." I have an easier time hearing Knuckles be rough-languaged than Sonic.

Taco del Fish wrote:(Like, for example, I want to ask what your favorite past story arc was, but I think I remember it being asked before... Although I just asked it in a round about way anyway... la la la...)

I can't remember answering this, so....

"Dark Alliance" - the whole kit and kaboodled. Enerjak, Dark Legion, EST and Dingo Regime, every (decent) FF-group, the fire ants, Mogul, Athair, the Ancient Walkers....!

So good!

Taco del Fish wrote:Let's throw in a random question, for good measure: What do you think of They Might Be Giants?

I can't say I follow them, but Universe Man (Universe Man) is the size of the entire universe (man). Usually kind to smaller man (Universe Man).

Taco del Fish wrote:Wuv, Yer Mom (Do you think that catch phrase of mine is innapropriate? I was told on another board by a very anal individual that it was... heh. Don't answer this if it feels like a complete waste of time.)

I haven't received any complaints, and I think somebody would be hard-pressed to find a real problem with it. I'm all about the comfort of others, but there is such a thing as over-sensitivity.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby TheSlyder » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:34 am

Ian, since you're a professional writer for the Archie Sonic continuity, you can give answers to questions that aren't answered in the comics, and they'd still be somewhat acceptable as canonical, at least for me.

That said, I'd like to know if you've put any thought into some issues such as humans/overlanders in the series. Obviously, they didn't exist at all early in the series, until way later on, then all of a sudden Mobius is co-inhabited by humans, did the series ever explain where they were 'hiding' all that time? And also, what's up with Robotnik? Before he turned against the Kingdom, he was the only human living with a bunch of furries. Isn't that kind of creepy and/or weird?

Also, I'm having trouble straightening out the advancement of Mobius' civilization. Tails, a child, can build a fully functional (And advanced, mech transforming) airplane, but everyone lives in straw huts with holes for windows?

Where do you think Robotnik's resources (mechanical products and materials) are coming from? Aside from Mobo/Robotropolis, the majority of Mobius is all natural, yet he can effortlessly build an endless supply of swatbots (Does he even use swatbots anymore?)

Why do the furry characters only wear partial clothes? Why does Sally wear a vest, but nothing else? Why are some characters completely in the nude?! WHY DOES SONIC EVEN WEAR GLOVES?!!

*Brain asplodes*
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:34 am

Mobius is a fictional planet. It's a form of imaginative construction, a place where the unusual happenes because it's interesting. In our moden, contemporary, real world, we have a series of marals and guidlines that we've established. A kind of moral code. This exists because it pretty much outlines everything we stand for in terms of maintaining a functional and peaceful coexistance between our fellow neighbours, and it also conforms with our physical state of being. We wear clothes because we are modest, and because it protects us from Mother Nature.

Anthropomorphic characters, such as "furries", have fur. Fur is a natural weather blanket. It assists thermoregulation, it helps cool and animal down in Summer, and keeps it warm in winter. Clothes are not needed. Since cartoon characters live in an environment that's totally fictional, they are not bound by true physics. While we show the characters being affected by weather to keep it "real", we aren't too bound by realistic rules of physics because that would be boring. It's all about style, more than anything. Sonic wears gloves and sneakers and socks because they look cool. Sally's blue jacket and boots, in their simplicity, fit her brown and cream color scheme in a surprisingly effective and asthetically pleasing manner. Some characters, like Sonic and Tails, look cool in minimal clothing. Some, like Elias, wear a little more because they cut quite the dashing figure in a fur-collared jacket.

There's a lot of argument out there by the anti-Sally crowd that Sally is a, how shold I put it? Lady of Negotiable Affection. A Woman of the Night. Girl of Conssumerable Fun. Why? Because she's butt naked!
Now, this would hold true if Sally girl was a naked human being, standing in our contemporary, real world, int he middle of a kid's shopping mall with all her goods on display. This would be morally unnacceptable and she'd be locked up. However...
She's covered in fur! OMG! Let's go round up all those New York Central Park squirrels that are ruining our children's innocence! Look at them, scampering up the trees, clotheless, SHAMELESS. Such vile critters...

My point it, she is just one of many characters created in a toon environment that is designed with style and asthetic coolness in mind. Designed to entertain. Not bring boring physics and moral judgement into a world of colorful, mindless fluff.

In the same sense, Robotnik existed alone in a Mobian world full of anmals (originally) because it was science fiction. Fantasy. Weird it is. But weird it's meant to be. It's entertainment, and if it was perfectly explained by some rational back story or subued by some rather dull idea, (*cough*overlanders*cough*) then it just simply saps all the fun (and the point) of telling a good, interesting, unique story that's meant to be set on a unique world.

As for how Robotnik manufactures his goods... That's easy. How do you think we create our own mechanical goods? All things can be traced back to mother nature. Minerals taken from the ground. Rocks melted down and compacted to form metals. Circuits put together in factories. All he has to do is know how to make the stuff and he can get it from all over the planet. Heck, they showed you that in the cartoon, and all over the early Sonic issues most of the stories were on Robotnik basically taking Mobius' goods and using it to create his armies and factories.

An even easier question is the Kingdom of Knothole. There's two explanations. One: They're modern city is currently being controlled by a maniac. They need to hide from him, not erect massive buildings that basically scream "HERE WE ARE!" The best way to hide from someone is to blend into your surroundings. Use what's around you (in this case, wood; straw; water; trees; grass; etc) to create a home that is practical, easy to maintain and totally costless to errect, and one that basically isn't going to light up on Eggman's radar like a massive Christmas tree.
One could argue that the Mobian race comes from the land. They now how to use it better than anyone. Maybe they enjoy the natural scenery more than a metal city? After 11 years of being ruled by a megalomaniac tyrant, and being roboticized, it's enough to turn anyone off from mass populated, metal cities for a long time...
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby TheSlyder » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:57 am

That was all very well put, and I'll gladly accept all of it except for the "Robotnik was the only human around because it's just fiction" comment. A good work of fiction has all the details necessary to become realistic fiction. Obviously, he was the only human around because he's the only human that the game needed, however, good writers, or at least in my opinion, good writers will go back and fill in blanks and plot holes that were in the series, and make the continuity much more fulfilling, which is why I brought it up. I was curious to know if Ian had put any thought into it.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:19 am

Well, my point was we don't need to see why Robotnik was there. I went through 50 issues of Sonic not really wanting to know where he came from and why he was there. After issue 50, it kinda ruined the illusion.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:38 am

Faded-Myth did a good job of addressing things in a practical manner, but to address things within the context of the world....

...but first, a disclaimer.

I'll answer these with what I think is happening in the world. My view of the book, my mindset. This is by no means iron-clad canonical. This is answering with what I think while writing and isn't official until it's implicitly stated on the page. Even then, future writers may retcon the whole thing. Keep that in mind.

Now then...

TheSlyder wrote:I'd like to know if you've put any thought into some issues such as humans/overlanders in the series. Obviously, they didn't exist at all early in the series, until way later on, then all of a sudden Mobius is co-inhabited by humans, did the series ever explain where they were 'hiding' all that time?

The status of the Overlanders is muddied, I think, but there are nuggets of information that we can build from. At the end of the Great War, Colin Kintobor led two massive star-ships worth of Overlanders into space for about ten years. I assumed it was their idea that by that time the Mobians would've collapsed under their own misguided rule and it would be safe to come back and roll over them. I'm going to go one step further and say that left MegaCentral empty.

Shipping out an entire population into space is a risky venture, so I would guess a comparatively small group remained behind in (Old) Megaopolis. These were wiped out in Classic Robotnik's Ultimate Annihilator tests.

Now whether New Megaopolis is MegaCenter or Old Megaopolis rebuilt is anybody's guess. The few times we've seen it, it appears to be sprawling - even more-so than Robotropolis. So let's kill two urban birds with one plot-stone and say Eggman connected the two.

The ones that escaped to Station Square have since helped expand the population and made connections with other small pockets of old human inhabitants. They've built up (especially during Sonic's year away) to create a series of city-states all ruled under the President in Central City. Such cities would include the aforementioned Central City and Station Square, Westopolis, Soleanna, and any other named human enclave Sega throws at us. These are all under the banner of the United Federation. This, in turn, is protected by G.U.N.

I've already laid some nods to that last bit and will continue to work under that mindset....until I stop. (haha!)

TheSlyder wrote:And also, what's up with Robotnik? Before he turned against the Kingdom, he was the only human living with a bunch of furries. Isn't that kind of creepy and/or weird?

Overlander/Mobian interaction was at a minimum pre-Great War, but they did interact on the rare occasion. (That's part of the reason there even was a Great War). Remember that Julian Kintobor was the savior of the Kingdom of Acorn. He was the single figure that turned the tide of the war. He may have been an Overlander, but he saved countless lives. I'm sure he was welcome then. It would be odd, sure, but he was welcome.

At this point, though, Eggman has become such a prominent figure I think he transcends categorization in most people's minds. He's Eggman - something far worse than any single race or species.

TheSlyder wrote:Also, I'm having trouble straightening out the advancement of Mobius' civilization. Tails, a child, can build a fully functional (And advanced, mech transforming) airplane, but everyone lives in straw huts with holes for windows?

Yes, it's Tails (and the Brain Trust) but their in one place. They're still researching materials to distribute to Knothole. And the resources are at a minimum. So while a half-dozen may be proceeding, the city as a whole is still relying on the old tried-and-true natural materials. There has been some advancements (the TechnoloTree) and they're building more complex structures since 1) Eggman has known where they are for awhile now - no point in trying to hide and 2) The Freedom Fighters/Chaotix have been doing a splendid job of keeping Dr. Eggman out.

Except for that one time when he flew in and pwn3d everybody. Interesting, that.

TheSlyder wrote:Where do you think Robotnik's resources (mechanical products and materials) are coming from? Aside from Mobo/Robotropolis, the majority of Mobius is all natural, yet he can effortlessly build an endless supply of swatbots (Does he even use swatbots anymore?)

The Eggman Empire controls over ninety-percent of the planet. He has access to all of the world's resources and I'm sure he has more than one capital/stronghold/manufacturing plant under his control. The various Freedom Fighter groups may be making a token resistance, but outside of his running feud with Knothole, nothing has set him back.

There may be some hold-overs in terms of SWAT and SHADOW Bot supplies, but he's moved mostly into the Egg Series (Pawn/Flapper/Hammer).

TheSlyder wrote:Why do the furry characters only wear partial clothes?

That I don't have an answer for. I'll have to think about that one for a while.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:48 am

I personally think my explanation for the clothes thing works because it's a classic case of Occam's Razor, or normalism. Inother words, the simplest explanation is probably the most fitting.
The Mobians may be a little more casual when it comes to adorning attire. They don't have our moral limitations because there's nothing to be ashamed of. (Unless your malting).
But the Mobians have a higher intellect, like us. They have the ability to get bored. They like entertainment. They like fun, they have a sense of style and their unique personalities show in the clothes they wear, just like us. It's really just down to the fact that clothes aren't of any major importance to most of them. It's more of a personal display of personality then anything.

Maybe it's even an influence from old Overlander history? Mobians encounter humans for the first time, liked the idea of clothing...
Of course, that would be convoluting things and when it comes down to it, their intellect and progressive evolution probably saw that they designed clothing on their own maybe?

I think anyway.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:01 am

IanPotto wrote:Except for that one time when he flew in and pwn3d everybody. Interesting, that.

This moment, in Sonic the Hedgehog issue 157 aids my theory that the entirety of the echidna race, save for Knuckles, are all nothing but holograms created by Eggbotnik, using the same technology he used for himself during his little trip to Knothead-er Hole My theorized reason for Eggmanbotnik going through all this trouble is it's done soley for kicks and giggles at Knuxter's expense. Very thick holograms. *nods head*

Postby Pundit » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:05 am

My theorized reason for Eggmanbotnik going through all this trouble is it's done soley for kicks and giggles at Knuxter's expense

Now that would be something _truly_ head expanding; cool idea (hearty laughter)

Why do the furry characters only wear partial clothes? Why does Sally wear a vest, but nothing else? Why are some characters completely in the nude?! WHY DOES SONIC EVEN WEAR GLOVES?!!

I might be totally wrong about this, but if i'm not mistaken characters like Mickey Mouse were drawn with gloves and shoes because that made their extremities much easier to animate. I mean, if you're talking about blue/black fingers on blue/black fur with blue/black feet it might be difficult to distinguish the movements and gestures of the character. I would therefore see Sonic and Co.'s attire as a continuation of (or homage to) that convention.

And now more questions for Ian! I know you've been asked straight up who your favorite characters are, but I think you answered as a fan. Speaking from the perspective of the writer, which characters do you find _interesting_? Which characters excite your interest as a _writer_, without taking into account whether you'd be willing to sit down and have a civilized drink with them? I know there are fairly obvious answers to that - Sonic and Knuckles, to name a few, but i'm interested in the more obscure ones. Has the premise behind any villian, obscure hero or bit player ever made you sit down and think - hey, there's something deep here, some potential that could be realized that might add to the main story in unexpected ways? Anyone that makes your mind go - hey, he/she/it might have made (or could make?) an unexpected contribution to the continuity if we'd tweaked the focus of the story? I think the Archie universe is full of these little bits of narrative potential, and it would be nice to see you examine some of the darker stars in it.
Pundit
BumbleNewbie

Postby Goldanas » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:13 am

I like this. It's getting fairly deep in here.
For me, a good suspension of disbelief is always nice to have on hand when reading a book on cartoon animals. I have no problem with the believablility of fantastical adventures with speedy rodents and hip-hop anteaters. It's the oddities that make it work and you just got to go with it.

But, yes, I agree that it is always nice to have a seemingly sound explanation for some things so as to not destroy plot and other tools that make the form of entertainment entertaining.

It's none too fun or interesting to see a hero pull out of a difficult situation on an old, dilapidated bridge because he had an anti-pitfall spray. In this same light, it was always a let-down to see Sonic make it out of a tough battle because of a Power Ring, save someone's life because of a Power Ring, or literally explain away plot-holes with the use of a Power Ring. At some point, it all just starts to feel like the old Batman television series.

Fortunately, we've got Ian, so we don't need to worry one way or the other.

In short, let me put it like this:
Sonic runs fast. Why? He just does. I accept this.
Sonic and Co. defeat Mammoth Mogul and Co. Why? Because of ultimate sacrifices and because Eggman's crazy powerful. Sounds good to me.

This is just the way I look at it. Grains of salt, etc.

Also, what are you dressing up as for Halloween, Ian?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:46 am

Power Rings rock. I always loved the old power ring out of the well/lake/pocket/Antoine's backside maneuver.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Kamal » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:42 am

Faded-Myth wrote:Power Rings rock[s].

Thank you, I try my best. :P

(I'm sorry! I had to!)
Kamal
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius