Ask Ian XXVIII - Tis the Season to Give Answers

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Bionic Slime » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:30 pm

1) Are Jun Kun's indestructible powers natural (like his own strength) or are they from some kind of spell or magically enhanced armor (or both)?

2) What has happened to Merlin Prower and will we ever find out what he has been doing all this time?

3) If Bunnie's cyborg parts (being unnatural and all) made her sick and forced her to choose whether to lose them or not, how come the Dark Egg legion members like Lien-da haven't suffered similar situations/fates?
Last edited by Bionic Slime on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bionic Slime
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheRock1525 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Uh, Bionic, you only get three questions.

1. What was the plan in 200? Like, if Eggman hadn't snapped, were the FF and Chaotix going to arrest him? And if that was the plan all along, why didn't they arrest him when he went bonkers anyway? You can count this as two, if you'd like.

2. Which is more rewarding to you: making a former fan of the comic come back to the series after a long absence, or bringing in new fans that weren't interested in the comic? I, of course, fall in the former, but I'd like to give my appreciation for making this once cynical true-blue fan enjoy something from his childhood again.
TheRock1525
BumbleKnight

Postby Orion101 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:36 am

3. Is Hope the one who invented Rouge's treasure scope in Sonic Universe # 4?
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:41 am

1. Do you feel that you are finally past the point of ‘house keeping’ in the comic? There were elements of house keeping until the Shadow Sonic Universe arc, so I figure you may still feel like there is more.

2. What made you decide to reduce the thousands of Chaos Emeralds on Mobius to only 7? Was it simply to conform more with Sega Sonic?

3. Do you when Nicole is in her mobian form in the city she still talks with that mono-tone computer voice?
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby The King of Shadows » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 pm

3. How long did Robotnik have that Egg Tortoise with him?
The King of Shadows
BumbleKnight

Postby D'Coolette » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:17 pm

3. How did Jacques and Belle acquire their robotic parts? Were they born without limbs or was it somehow inherited?
D'Coolette
BumbleNewbie

Postby Bionic Slime » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:46 pm

TheRock1525 wrote:Uh, Bionic, you only get three questions.

Sorry, didn't know that, I'll scratch one off.
Bionic Slime
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kintobor » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:27 am

My mind went blank. So I will ask this:

1. Will Robotnik's moustache return to its normal length eventually?
Kintobor
BumbleFan

Postby CrazyEssyChanHere » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Hello there Ian! I don't think you remember me, but I'm KillyKillerKilly from Deviantart, the one who sended you a note asking you questions... eh, I'm sorry for troubling you about that note, didn't know that this site existed and that you didn't answer notes and such, I'm sorry ^^'' anyway, I hope you don't mind me asking some questions now when I finally can! :D

1. how old are all the sonic children in 30 years later? really want to know~
2. are Rouge from the Yagyu Clan or not? don't have to answer that one if you don't want to...

and... that's kind of it xD and I'm still very sorry for the note thing ^^'''
CrazyEssyChanHere
BumbleNewbie

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:45 pm

1. Last year at this time you did a different "Ask Ian" where you asked -us- questions to get feedback. Do you plan on doing anything similar again?

2. Who would you say has been your favorite Sonic voice actor of all time? (Jaleel White, Jason Griffith, etc.)
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby mynameisofnoimportance » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:48 pm

1. If it was a possibility Ian, would you like to do a crossover with another comic or I suppose video game universe. I never read the Image crossover, but I heard it wasn't any great shakes. If you had the opportunity to do one, would you?

2. I know Shadow is more or less immortal, but is he also fairly invulnerable? Does he at least have more endurance than Sonic (what with his ring shield)?
mynameisofnoimportance
BumbleKnight

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:51 pm

Finally, a question regarding character intentions and desires.

Something motivates the Iron Queen to act ruthlessly and evil to innocent people and freedom fighters who only want to make the world a better place. She wants something and is not made happy by Snively's love. What is Regina's goal?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:01 am

How are we already wrapping up 2009? Seriously.

Question #1 wrote:Is Dimitri's fate sealed, or is there a possibility that he might be saved?

I have a very clear idea of what I want to become of Dimitri. Wait and see.

Question #2 wrote:If you absolutely had to, as in you didn't have a choice whether or not to, choose someone to pair Sonic up with, and could choose absolutely ''any'' female from the series (and I mean ''any''), who would it be?

Complete free reign and all that? Probably Sally, since I like their dynamic.

Question #3 wrote:The extent of the Iron Queens powers...what exactly is she capable of controlling, in terms of distance and how many machines she can control?

We haven't seen just how powerful she can be, and I don't want to put too fine a point on her just yet. I will say that we'll be seeing her upper level before this story arc is over.

Question #4 wrote:Will we ever see the Freedom Fighter Special again, or has it been retired in place of the Tornado?

I figure we'll trot it out again if we need a large group transport. Not too many folks can ride the Tornado like Sonic.

Question #5 wrote:Looking at how hard it is for people to tolerate each other in the real world, how well have the humans of the United Federation integrated with their Overlander cousins considering the genetic(among other) differences between them?

I wouldn't say it's been a perfect integration, but it's gone well enough. Then again, I'm also thinking that this isn't the first time Overlander and human societies have crossed over. But that will be revealed in the encyclopedia.

Question #6 wrote:Since Overlanders have a reputation for being more intolerant towards Mobians, have any of their prejudices affected attitudes within the populace of the United Federation in any way?

If anything, I would think it would bolster the U.F.'s seeming resistance to interacting with the outside world.

Question #7 wrote:After reading SU #5, I'm very curious if you can answer this: was Dr. Eggman's defeat in StH #200 the official end to the Second Robotnik War?

I'm still debating on one whether or not I want to identify Eggman's return as the start of the Third Robotnik War. It's a question of whether or not the Iron Dominion's control was long enough and influencial enough to be a marked period of change, and it also runs the risk of setting us up for "the Forty-Seventh Robotnik War" down the road. We'll see.

Question #8 wrote:What do you think is the hardest part about being a writer?

I think keeping the frame of mind for what's going on. I'm writing stuff about six months ahead of the latest issue, but trying to keep up with the current issue/stories while making plans for the future and keeping track of the past events and making it all fit together.

Question #9 wrote:How long have you been waiting to torture us with the last few pages of #207?

Torture? Torture? I live only to bring joy and delight :)

Question #10 wrote:Taking into account the Sci-fi aspect that the comic has taken on (Future earth, Mobo-Sapiens, ect.),Are Sonic and the Mobians more kin to being a animal based race like M'ress from the Star Trek cartoon than just talking animals?

I'm not familiar with the M'ress, but in the realm of Star Trek, I'd see them as "human" as Vulcans, Klingons or any other sentient race.

Question #11 wrote:Since the comic is licensed by SEGA and everything that shows up in it has to be approved by them, isn't the comic just as officially Sonic as any of the video games?

Eh, it depends on how you want to define "official." Some folks get hung up on what's "real" about a property, and in that sense I suppose only the directly SegaSonic material would be "official." But it's a SEGA-approved spin-off product, so I'd consider that pretty official.

Question #12 wrote:What was it that you liked about Universalamander?

He's a giant, unstoppable robot lizard with a ridiculous name. What's not to love?

Question #13 wrote:Ever pitched a story that you thought would get turned down yet it was approved?

Oh yes. Oh-ho-ho yes. Remind me of this once we're a little past STH#225 and I'll give you a specific example.

Question #14 wrote: Silver was using a Super Warp Ring in Hedgehog Havoc, yet when next we saw him during Mobius: 30 Years Later, he was using a Time Stone. Will we get an explanation as to why he apparently switched between the two?

If I can find a point where I can fit in an explanation without it being cumbersome, sure.

Question #15 wrote:In StH #194, it was shown that Eggman had a Sub-Boss in Station Square. Does this mean that the city is under his control, or that he has a Sub-Boss just trying to take control of it?

The latter. I hope to one day reveal who his regional forces are in the United Federation.

Question #16 wrote:Did you really mean 'when' when you mentioned the Nocturus last week, or did you mean 'if'?

HAHA! I got sloppy with my word choice; another peril of doing "Ask Ian." I certainly want to bring the Nocturnus into the mix at one point, but there's plenty of other stories to tell before then.

Question #17 wrote:Is the X-Tornado SX-exclusive or is there a chance of seeing it in the future.

SX-exclusive. This goes for Cosmo, her people, Black Oak and his group, any of the Earthlings (Chris et al), Emerl (and by extension, G-Mel), Bokkun, Bocoe and Decoe. We only very recently got Cream (and her related characters) off that list given she's been in so many other games.

Question #18 wrote:Supposing that it had not already been established that the main Archie Sonic universe is "Mobius Prime," would you have been interested in setting up the games as the "Prime" Sonic world?

No. It's the same reason why MxYL isn't the "real" future, and it's the same reason we don't just pull up stakes and move the setting to Moebius. Why should we give a flying flip about a derivative world? Even if we never saw it, there would always be the lingering question of "what's going on in the real world."

Question #19 wrote:Why do you think that some fans want Julian to come back, when he's pretty much the same person as the Robotnik that we have now?

Nostalgia. You can certainly make a case for him being more sinister in design and method, but you can just as easily argue completely to the contrary. Is his monstrous girth frightening and intimidating, or does he look like a spikey beach ball? Is enslaving half the world - mind, body and soul - more heinous than erasing one's soul to use their bodies as a cog in his machine? Julian came first, and so folks who grew up with him are more attached to him, which I can appreciate. But it's also been around 150 issues without him, and we're doing just fine.

Question #20 wrote:Does Lara-Su's power surpass her fathers?

I don't think so, but she's definitely one of the most powerful of the bloodline. Where she surpasses her father is in her training. Knuckles had Locke for a few years and then survivalist training by living on his own. Lara-Su had a fully-educated Knuckles, and Julie-Su, and the Chaotix to teach her the ropes.

Question #21 wrote:Would you, or any of the team be interested in coming over to the UK next year for Summer of Sonic 2010?

I can't speak for anyone else on the team, but I'd love to if I A) could schedule it and B) had some kind of sponsorship. Air fare and hotels ain't cheap =P

Question #22 wrote:You mentioned that the SegaSonic cast are more recognized by fans then the Archie cast, a reason why they are the main focus of the Sonic Universe series. Will there be more of a chance for Tails and Amy to have their own story-arcs in the future?

Sure.

Question #23 wrote:What the heck does Monkey Khan's atom bat actually DO?

It shoots lightning and smashes faces. Think of it has a hand-held, electrically enhanced spin-dash.

Question #24 wrote:How fast is that flying cloud of his, relatively?

Pretty durn quick; about enough to keep pace with Sonic if he's going at a moderate speed. I suppose Tails-fast?

Question #25 wrote:We know how Sonic feels about Eggman. But what about the council in charge of what happens to the mad doctor?

They all agree that it is the best course of action to hold onto him for their protection and as a potential bargaining chip with the rest of the empire. Where they differ is on the details; such as whether he should be fed at all.

Question #26 wrote:As we see in "Turtles Forever" and DC cosmology (with Earth-0/New Earth), if the prime universe is destroyed, the rest of the multiverse follows. Theoretically, would this happen in the extremely unlikely event that the Mobius-Prime universe was destroyed?

Don't quote me on this; this is purely speculation at this point. I don't think so. I think it would be the end of new zones, but not of the multiverse. Each zone would play out its scenario as it always would, but nothing new would spawn from the "prime core."

Question #27 wrote:Do you know if SEGA has any problems with the comics using minor game NPCs, such as Prof. Pickle, Wentos, Sonicman, and the ghosts from "Night of the Werehog" in general or would it be more of a character-by-character thing?

They would all be case-by-case scenarios, but from my experience they would all be uphill battles.

Question #28 wrote:What do Mobians eat? I've always wonder about this. I mean Hamlin can't eat anything with ham in it, cause that would be weird. / what makes up the meat Sonic eats on his Chilidogs. Since "Mobian" is a species, wouldn't that make eating each other (because meat comes from animals (which all turned into Mobians)) canabalism(sp?)?

I took the liberty of combining these two since they fit so well together.

I think most mobian dishes consist of vegatable and fruit bases, but I do think there's meat in the mix too. I'll solidfy it in the encyclopedia, and I hinted at it in Eggman's mad ramblings: there are animal-animals on mobius. Pasha, sandworms and . . . that feral cat-like thing from that one Sally story, I forget . . . are all animals. And the small animals, like you'd rescue from the capsules? Cluckies, rickies, etc? Animals.

I don't see it as cannibalism given that we, as humans, are animals and we can readily eat other creatures. Granted, we don't have to worry about sapience, but for the examples I cited neither do the mobians.

From here it boils down into a debate of just how "aware" animals are and animal rights and yadda yadda yadda. Some folks have no problem eating dog while others find full personalities in goldfish. That's not a debate I'm going to get into. Short answer: mobians are generally omnivorous and there is a selection of game on Mobius.

Question #29 wrote:So, since the Clans are all Asian related and are obviously legions of highly skilled warriors and assassins is it safe to assume they all know not just Shinobi jutsu but Asian martial arts as well? Namely Kickboxing, Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Shaolin Kung Fu, Judo, ect.

Yeah, we'll go with that. I would be more specific about styles for each clan and research possible corresponding regions, but in the static presentation of a comic book it would mean nothing. You could maybe illustrate a stance or the proper execution of a move, but mostly it's going to be ninja getting thrown about by a spinning hedgehog.

Question #30 wrote:Also, what would you describe Liza's personality as?

Given the very little she did in that one story: suspicious, possibly a little xenophobic, but perhaps only out of ignorance, and a little naive - too trusting of her own kind, if you will.

Question #31 wrote:Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are considered the three “Champions of Mobius” as stated in STH#56. Tails is the Chosen One and it is believed Knuckles is the Avatar, my question is do you think Sonic will ever get an official “title” or prophesy name?

Zonic already said he was the hero of the multiverse. As for official mystic-sounding title? Eh, maybe one day. I don't really think it fits Sonic, and if we introduce something like that, it would become a perpetual thing that can never be fulfilled.

Question #32 wrote: Would you consider Shadow to be a “Champion of Mobius” or a prominent and powerful figure in the scheme of things, though created artificially instead of born like the other three (he’s already the Ultimate Lifeform)?

I think he's definitely a powerful figure in the overall scheme of Mobius, but no, I don't think he registers as important on the cosmic level.

Question #33 wrote:When did you decided you wanted to do an arc like the "Iron Dominion Saga" where you booted Eggman for a bit and let another villian take over (also reminicent of Robotnik's defeat and absence from #50-#75)?

It was all part of the scenario when I pitched my ideas for STH#200. So . . . that would've been about a year ago, at this point.

Question #34 wrote:Where or how did you come up with Gossamer for the 4th clan? XD Dont get me wrong the name is fine for the clan I just find it a bit comical when compared the the asian-style names of the other clans, kinda like the ghosts from pac-man (Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde)

"Gossamer" is often used to describe spider silk, as well as actual silken goods. Fine silks were one of the chief exports of Asia when global trade first started up. The Dragon Kingdom is situated in what amounts to Mobian Asia.

Question #35 wrote:What was the name of the currency mobians use, was it mobessos or something?

Mobiums.

Question #36 wrote: In #194 Regina mentioned that local resistance was still keeping her and Jun Kun at bay and that she intended to tie up a few loose ends and then hurry to New Megaopolis (as soon as Eggman was defeated). Based on what was detailed in #207, she was basically referring to the Brides as the local resistance, correct?

Not quite; she was at that point finalizing negotiations, so they were in the middle of coming under her control. There's also pocket of resistance from the Free People, and of course Monkey Khan.

Question #37 wrote:As I recall, in Fini’s first data profile it was stated that he had both/either magical and/or scientific skills. I know you’ve mentioned that Fini and Scourge’s original data profiles were basically place holders; so based off of that would it be safe to assume that the magic statement is now basically just his chaos powers, or does he also possess some magical abilities?

Bear with me, this is going to sound like I'm splitting hairs:

Where the Iron Queen has magitech that is magic that controls machines, Dr. Finitevus has magitech where his technology is magically based. The Warp Rings and his Master Emerald hex are - in a fashion - mechanical constructs that used magic as their basis. So he can't just up and summon fire or go "bippity boppity boo" and turn Knuckles into a golf ball - he has to build his stuff. That said, he can still perform the same level of raw "magic" Knuckles can.

Question #38 wrote:How was Monkey Khan controlled in StH #60 by the Iron Queen, considering he was wearing his power ring crown?

It was their first encounters with each other when the Iron Queen had a power-ring boosted staff and Khan was ever more of an uncontrolled hot-head. She had more power and he had less self-control.

Question #40 wrote:How did the Iron Queen use technomagic to keep Mount Stormtop ablaze?

That hasn't been revealed yet.

Question #41 wrote:Will we be seeing any sub-bosses in this year or the next?

Yes. (that was purposefully vague - mwahaha)

Question #42 wrote:Are you going to have a definitive list of them in the Encyclopedia?

It won't be the end-all, be-all list since I still want there to be room for me (or others) to make up stuff, but yes we'll have a sizable list.

Question #43 wrote:Has Silver ever had any contact with Dr. Nega?

I don't believe so, no.

Question #44 wrote:How high would you say Big ranks up with some of the other super-strong folks in the comic?

Boy this one crops up a lot. Canonically, it hasn't ever been established. Personally, I think he's the strongest in terms of raw strength, but he just doesn't think about it. Might have to put that to the test someday.

Question #45 wrote:When you plan to write the Werehog, will he be like in Sonic Unleashed, or will you make him more wild?

Waaaaaay to early to ask this. I don't even know if we are working him in. I just said SEGA would be cool with it.

Question #46 wrote:What made you decide to have Turbo Tails have a very different dialogue from normal Tails? The only reason I ask is that up until you became writer there wasn't really a change in how Tails worded things in Super Form what lead you to changing how the way he carried himself in Super Form?

Turbo Tails seems to have been heavily hinted at being Tails nearing his "Chosen One" status, and I want that to have weight. I mean, he grows a cape. That's some serious stuff. So since he was performing the Great Harmony right then and there, I wanted to make it clear he was doing his Chosen One thing. The dialogue change - and the posture, brilliantly rendered by Tracy - conveyed that without having him go "I AM CHOSEN ONE NOW! THIS IS IMPORTANT! LOOK AT ME!"

Question #47 wrote:To revisit an old question you said that there would be no Super Forms (not counting the flashback in SU #2, nudge nudge, wink wink) this past year. How about this year?

No, I don't believe any Super Forms are planned. But, like SU#2, I could be wrong.

Question #48 wrote:What plot points, ideas, and stories got changed modified, or possibly nixed in 2009? Without revealing spoilers of course, if these stories have simply been delayed to a much later date

Nothing I can reveal right now. Suffice to say that, a year ago, I didn't think we'd be where we are now in the book. Go fig. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. Quite the contrary - I think it's set us up for even better stuff for 2010 and beyond.

Question #49 wrote:You mentioned that you would be developing Bunnie's back story, will we learn anything more about Antoine? Not asking for you to give away anything, but can we expect to see any more focus on him soon?

No, I think Antoine has had his fair share of the limelight for now. He had the Patch subplot, the wedding, the loss of his father, and really came into his own over the past couple of years. I'm "done" with him for now. That said, you can't go very far with Bunnie without her hubby, so we'll see.

Question #50 wrote:Would you say by now the year on Mobius is 3238?

No, it's still 3237 until we have a reason to specify otherwise.

Question #51 wrote:What happened to the Dark Legion battlecruiser? It was there during the Reunification process but seemed to just disappear after that.

Shot down in an epic aerial battle during the Eggman Empire's invasion.

Question #52 wrote:What would it take for you to bring Nic the Weasel or Arlo the Armadillo back into the comic as more than just a character in the background?

Actually, going through a bunch of filed art for the encyclopedia, the folks in Mamaroneck found a Jeff Axer revamp for her which I've fallen in love with. I'm pushing really hard for it to be her new design and I'm (inactively) trying to think of a good reason to bring her back just to show off the design. As for Arlo, I still don't know what to do with his design. So I'm putting off dealing with it.

Question #53 wrote:Given Mogul's role in his temporary death, does Knuckles have any particularly strong feelings about taking him down, or is it the same old bit of not wanting to engage him unless he actively threatens Mobius or Knuckles' people?

I think Knuckles views Mogul as more a jerk and somebody to beat down when he gets unruly. While they may view it differently, I don't see Mogul having much of a role in Knuckles's temp-death. Sure, he used Dimitri as bait and plugged him into a room-sized Chaos Syphon to drain Knuckles of his chaos juice (read: "jerk"), but it was Knuckles who decided to up and explode to solve the problem.

Question #54 wrote:Are Liza and the other Angel Island Chameleons back in the Dragon Kingdom, or are they hanging out elsewhere on Mobius?

You're assuming the Angel Island chameleons are affiliated with the Dragon Kingdom despite never showing any ninja aspects and Knuckles pointing out as much during his confusion over Espio's betrayal?

Huh.

Question #55' wrote:Is there any member of the Freedom Fighters or Chaotix who you'd say has the ability to take on the Iron King and win based on pure fighting power, not counting Sonic or Monkey Khan?

Actually, we'll be showing one such person getting into a bit of a throw-down fight with the Iron King very soon. Place your bets folks - who's it gonna be?

Question #56 wrote:We know that the soultouch helps two echidnas know their life partners on first sight, well, y'know except for Lara and Locke, but does this apply to one of the partners if they're not an echidna? Example, it was clear it was love at first sight for Mari-an and Rob so natually Mari felt the soultouch, but was it the soultouch that Rob felt as well?

Eh . . . I'm not sold on the "soultouch" thing. It kinda smacks of echinda elitism: "Oh, we're so intellectually advanced nature has to find us a mate for us." But as you pointed out, Mari-An fell for Rob almost instantly, and vica versa.

I think there's a certain animal attraction that brings mobians together, and echidnas might have a stronger version of it.

Question #57 wrote:When I ask about a Moebius story without Scourge, you said Scourge alone has enough star power to carry the arc. When we revisit Moebius, would you try to bolster some other anti to star status so we could visit Moebius without Scourge?

No, I don't think so. Scourge is special in that he can act independently as his own villain while also functioning as the Anti-Sonic. The rest of the Moebians thrive on the fact that they are anti-version of their prime counterparts. If we started "Scourging" all the Moebians, we'd lose the fun of Moebius and clog the book with excessive villains.

Question #58 wrote:What licensed comic would you like to write for, assuming Archie got the rights of course?

That's like asking "If you could eat something, what would it be?" Videogame license, I'm assuming? Not TV, prominent comic book, or movie license?

Game-wise, just about anything from the Nintendo mascot panthenon. Some would certainly be more challenging to do in a comic format than others, but I'd think just about all of the big names could be done well.

Question #59 wrote:What kind of a personality does Bark the Polar Bear have? Being a mute, he hasn't shown much personality.

I disagree. I think he's shown to be rather level-headed in his surrender to being out-numbered and to Sally's better deal during the Mogul arc. He's seemingly even-tempered given his reactions to Bean - mortified, but not ripping his feathers out. He even appears to have a somewhat dark sense of humor given his amusement at Sally's aforementioned offer. He's a tough, down-to-business kind of guy.

Question #60 wrote:Do you think that the Biolizard was conscious of its actions and the consequences of what it was doing or was it just mindlessly obeying Gerald's last orders?

I think it had a limited degree of understanding what it was doing and to what ends, but I don't think it had any feelings over the matter. Its job was to destroy the world, so it did its best.

Question #61 wrote:Any chance of us seeing Renfeld T. Rodent ever again?

Maybe one day. I've got an idea or two for him kickin' around.

Question #62 wrote:What exactly is Hope's position on Team Dark? Or is she even a member of the team?

She's something of a quasi-member as their mechanic and (in a James Bond way) their "Q."

Question #63 wrote:Can we expect you to do any other writing stories for Archie like future Sabrina or Archie stories?

I've heard there might be a possibility for more Salem one day. Hope springs eternal.

Question #64 wrote:Are villains like Robotnik Prime and Kodos officially dead=dead?

Dead. They're pining for the fjords. They've passed on. They are no more. They have ceased to be. They've expired and gone to meet their maker! They're a couple of stiffs. Bereft of life, they rest in peace. If folks didn't keep dredging them up they'd be pushing up the daisies! Their metabolic processes are now history! They're off the twig They've kicked the bucket, they've shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THEY ARE EX-CHARACTERS!

Question #65 wrote:If you were to divide your run on the comic into seasons, how many would there be and which story arcs would be in which season?

Pretending like I have any idea what I'm talking about?
Season 1 - #160-175
Season 2 - #176-200
Season 3 - #201-now

Question #66 wrote:Eggman is now in the custody of the Republic of Acorn; I assume there are plans to try him for his crimes (potential insanity defense aside). However, he was originally human, and there could be a legitimate case for extradition. While this may never actually pan out in the comic, how would you handle the “trial of Robotnik?” Would it be a civil trial, a war crimes tribunal, or an inquisition, and who would preside over it?

Extradition to where, exactly? The Overland has fallen, so as an Overlander he has no real homeland to which to return. And the United Federation has had so little to do in world affairs they wouldn't have much ground to claim him (assuming that they would even want to).

I would think any kind of inquiry would best benefit from a neutral country, but there isn't one in this case. Even Angel Island, which was/pretended to be above earthly national concerns, is deeply involved in the conquest of the Eggman Empire now. Indeed, when the world technically belongs to the man, what grounds would anyone have on which to try him? It would be the equivalent of al Quaeda occupying the US and putting Bush on trial. How would that even work?

I think the Republic of Acorn would make a valiant attempt at putting on a show of a "fair trial," but the thing would degrade into a circus rather quickly. Dr. Robotnik would refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the court, the country or his imprisonment. No one would dare take his case (out of fear of retribution or obvious loathing). The whole thing would fall apart with attacks orchestrated by Eggman or outsiders sick of the farce, which one way or another would stand to return us to the status quo.

Question #67 wrote:From what I've seen the technology Hope develops is on a whole other level than what the rest of G.U.N. can acomplish. In your opinion what is her relationship like with the rest of G.u.N. engineers?

I'd think it'd fall within a broad spectrum. Some would be awed, some humbled, some disbelieving, some concerned, some frustrated, threatened, and so on. I would think there'd be a degree of R&D freeze given that the secretive nature of the U.F. would limit the amount of materials that could be used for researching new technologies. I think they reached a point where they found efficiency and sustainability and stopped. Hope seems to be finding new ways to do more with conceivably less.

Question #68 wrote: In your opinion in what ways is Rutan similar to and different from his mother?

I don't think we've seen enough of the current Rutan to really say. I think his younger M25YL self was still growing into who he would be. Maybe if we get another shot at M30YL we can spend more time with him.

Question #69 wrote: What used to be the Iron Throne Room before the Dominion showed up?

Just a big ol' storage room.

Question #70 wrote:When will you canonize Sonic first name? I like the fact that his middle name is Maurice.

Actually, I'm taking efforts to canonize that he got his name legally changed to just "Sonic."

Question #71 wrote:Are Jun Kun's indestructible powers natural (like his own strength) or are they from some kind of spell or magically enhanced armor (or both)?

I don't want to speculate about that right now since I've got a pretty solid idea and I want to investigate it if/when we return to the Dragon Kingdom character set. So we'll just have to chalk it up to a mystery for now.

Question #72 wrote:What has happened to Merlin Prower and will we ever find out what he has been doing all this time?

That's currently under revision since SEGA axed my plans for him in 2010. So while I still know what I want for him, I've got to find a new way about it, and the upcoming stories can't really be sidetracked right now. We'll get back to him . . . eventually.

Question #73 wrote: If Bunnie's cyborg parts (being unnatural and all) made her sick and forced her to choose whether to lose them or not, how come the Dark Egg legion members like Lien-da haven't suffered similar situations/fates?

Actually, somebody summed this up very well in the talkback thread, so I'm going to be lazy and copy/paste:

Another's Answer wrote:Lien-Da and the Legion have cybernetic additions or replacements. Bunnie's actual body was converted straight from flesh to metal, and it was only partially done, which shouldn't have happened anyway (roboticization is usually an all-or-nothing deal). She didn't have problems just because metal parts are "unnatural," but because the whole situation was an anomaly

Question #74 wrote:What was the plan in 200? Like, if Eggman hadn't snapped, were the FF and Chaotix going to arrest him? And if that was the plan all along, why didn't they arrest him when he went bonkers anyway?

I believe they meant to take him down and bring him to justice, but his nervoue breakdown shook them considerably. All that was left - to their eyes - was Snively and a gibbering mess. It was an act of mercy - one that mobians seem to be prone to in general.

Question #75 wrote:Which is more rewarding to you: making a former fan of the comic come back to the series after a long absence, or bringing in new fans that weren't interested in the comic?

I've got to choose? As a long-term Sonic fan, it makes me happy to know I'm bringing my peers back into the fold. You never should've lapsed - there are no bad stories, just more story potential. But as a creator, I think it speaks to my ability that I can bring people to the book and, hopefully, keep them around.

And for the folks who are rolling their eyes and feel quite the inverse of my abilities....welp, you can't please everyone.

Question #76 wrote:Is Hope the one who invented Rouge's treasure scope in Sonic Universe # 4?

Sure, why not?

Question #77 wrote:Do you feel that you are finally past the point of ‘house keeping’ in the comic?

Yeah, I think I've corralled the book into the point I want it. The "Iron Dominion Saga" is pretty much my first really big building project instead of refurbishing. Now my focus is putting a new coat of paint on some aspects and creating brand new stuff.

Question #78 wrote:What made you decide to reduce the thousands of Chaos Emeralds on Mobius to only 7? Was it simply to conform more with Sega Sonic?

Yup, and to make it more accessible to the new readers. Everybody knows there's seven colored Chaos Emeralds. Having bajillions of them, all green, would be odd. Also, limiting their numbers makes them less accessible; they stop being special when everyone has a few around the house.

Question #79 wrote:Do you when Nicole is in her mobian form in the city she still talks with that mono-tone computer voice?

I think she's still a little stilted - a little stiff - but she's warmed up considerably from her initial appearance. This goes for her handheld form too.

Question #80 wrote:How long did Robotnik have that Egg Tortoise with him?

Who knows? He has all sorts of things hidden away in the EggDome.

Question #81 wrote:How did Jacques and Belle acquire their robotic parts? Were they born without limbs or was it somehow inherited?

That's currently an on-going mystery.

Question #82 wrote:Will Robotnik's moustache return to its normal length eventually?

Of course! You can't keep a 'stache of that magnitude in check for long.

Question #83 wrote:how old are all the sonic children in 30 years later?

I know I answered this not long ago, but I can't think of where it is, and it's nearly midnight on Saturday, so here we go again!

Argyle / Lara-Su / Belle / Jacque - in their 20s
Melody / Skye - tweens/teens
Sonia / Manik - almost five years old

Question #84 wrote:are Rouge from the Yagyu Clan or not? don't have to answer that one if you don't want to...

No, she's not.

Question #85 wrote: Last year at this time you did a different "Ask Ian" where you asked -us- questions to get feedback. Do you plan on doing anything similar again?

Eventually, yeah. Maybe once the novelty of me answering questions wears off again.

Question #86 wrote:If it was a possibility Ian, would you like to do a crossover with another comic or I suppose video game universe. If you had the opportunity to do one, would you?

Sure. The trick is you've got the navigate the legal mumbo-jumbo of both SEGA and Archie and the third party.

Question #87 wrote:I know Shadow is more or less immortal, but is he also fairly invulnerable? Does he at least have more endurance than Sonic (what with his ring shield)?

I think he's more resilient than your average mobian by far, but I wouldn't put him much higher than Sonic in terms of durability.

Question #88 wrote:Something motivates the Iron Queen to act ruthlessly and evil to innocent people and freedom fighters who only want to make the world a better place. She wants something and is not made happy by Snively's love. What is Regina's goal?

As explained in her first back-up story, to restore her technomage cult and to rule the world. This was because the cult - her family and her world - were violently taken from her and she was thrust into the cold, uncaring world on her own. See: STH#202

And now for a new regular segement. I tried putting up rules. I tried explaining things else-topic. I tried banning. I tried ignoring. So now I'm going to try public displays. These, folks, are the BAD QUESTIONS.

These are BAD QUESTIONS wrote:Planning on bring Shadow back next year, maybe against the Iron Dominion?
Will some of the villains have their own stories in Sonic Universe?

You can't ask me pin-point precise plot questions, folks. And while I know it's hard to keep up with all the Q&A, don't ask me something that's already been asked a month ago.

Who really drew this page? The book credits Stephen Butler, but it doesn't look like his style; the wiki credits both butler and Axer.

1) It's pretty blatantly Steven Butler.
2) Jeff Axer did art earlier in that issue, hence the credit.
3) I didn't join the book until STH#160, so how would I know who was assigned to what back then?
4) I do know the answer from taking a couple of seconds to look at the wiki and the issue itself.

Given statements about a certain “Tails Adventure” in the future, does that mean we’ll be seeing some abilities from the game of that name appearing as part of Tails’ arsenal; while I understand you probably want to eschew the use of weaponry by main characters, will we be seeing Tails use explosives, thrown rings, of any sort or robotic gadgetry of his own (a comic parallel may be in how Spidey uses webbing to compliment his physical abilities)?
-
On that topic, Tails Adventure was the first to introduce us to Tails maintaining a research and development laboratory and machine shop (SA1 and 2 would further reinforce that as canon, years later, as would other games like Sonic Battle, Sonic the Fighters, and many more). Will this arc finally add that to the comic canon as well, after all these years? If so, will it be in located in New Mobotropolis or elsewhere?

Blatant teasing aside, don't ask me to directly confirm something like that. And a litany of potential plot spoilers through association of confirmed abilities? Confirmation of structures, locations, and established new material? C'mon, now. Why even read the comic if I give all this out six months in advance?

And besides, the workshops do not support each other except in the notion of there being a workshop for Tails. They appear in at least three totally separate geographic locations, so don't even pretend there's a solid "canon."

What's going to happen to Eggman now that he's nuts?

Would you like to know how the "Iron Dominion Saga" wraps up too? How about how each character will react and what they will do? DO. NOT. ASK. ME. SPECIFIC. PLOT. POINTS.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby kryptyk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:23 am

Heyyyy.... looks like I'm the first post this time! Sweet! By the way Ian; loved the Monty Python answer- couldn't have put it better myself! :(hearty laughter):

1. Since we've already asked this with Eggman & Mogul: what would be your interpretation of Mobius if the Dark Legion won?

2. Considering the morals of characters like Sonic & more chivalrous natures of those like Antione, how well do you believe it would settle with them if they were fully aware (assuming they aren't) that some of the DEL legionaries they've been smacking around silly might be women?

3. Now that Lien-da's Grandmaster of the DEL, who's Kommissar? (I hope this isn't a BAD question. :( )
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby JakeDaReaver » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:59 am

1. Last week I asked about Bark's personality. Same question, but this time about another mute, Chaos.
2. Out of all the villains in the series, which one do you think would pose the greatest threat to Sonic, if they were all at full power.
3. How is it possible for hedgehogs like Amy and Sonic to have flat, human-like teeth, while other hedgehogs such as Scourge has sharp, pointed teeth and Shadow has a fanged snarl?
JakeDaReaver
BumbleNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius