Ask Ian XXVII - Let's Try that Again

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Luger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:32 pm

1.) Is the Eggman Empire simply part of the Iron Dominion now, or is it still technically around but ruled by Regina, Jun Kun and Snively?

2.) Are we going to learn more about these mysterious robot dragons that seem to be numerous in the Dragon Kingdom?

3.) How old is Regina Ferrum?
Last edited by Luger on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby TheRock1525 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:15 pm

1. I don't know if you've answered this question before, but with the him reappearing in the recent issue, what are your thoughts on the Robotnik Prime design?

2. Kind of an odd question, but we've talked about Mario before in this discussion and I'm just curious: what about third, forgotten son of the 8 and 16-bit platforming era: Mega Man. Did you ever think he'd make a good comic book?

3. Let's say money is not an issue here (aka the pay would be the same), if you were offered a job to write for one of the bigger comic books (like Spider-Man or something similar), would you take it? Keep in mind other aspects would not change (fan expectations, bosses, etc.).
TheRock1525
BumbleKnight

Postby Peircefer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:06 am

1. Mogul was trapped inside the Master Emerald thanks to the Walkers, and the Super trio. Is it possible for someone to be trapped inside a normal Chaos Emerald?
Peircefer
BumbleClan

Postby nuckles87 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:58 pm

2. Didn't SEGA mandate AGAINST a steady Sonic Amy romance?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby dragoonanime » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:41 pm

1) Is the iron queen's staff a big source of her powers?

2) will we be seeing the bride of constant vigil soon?

3) what was the bride of conquering storm smiling about when she left for the dragon kingdom?
dragoonanime
BumbleCitizen

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:06 pm

1. With increasing references to Sonic Chronicles (Twilight Cage, Zoah, ruins of another ancient civilization), is there any chance we might see some of the Nocturnus Clan gizoids which destroyed Pachacamac's Knuckles Clan, such as Prefect Scylla, Prefect Charyb, or the legendary gizoid, Emerl?

2. By the way, was it actually the Nocturnus Clan's army of gizoid prototypes that defeated their rival, the Knuckles Clan (as told in Sonic Chronicles), or was it Perfect Chaos that wiped out the Knuckles Clan (as told in Sonic Adventure)?

3. Are Bunnie's uncle and aunt, Beauregard and Lulumae, actually canon?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby The King of Shadows » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:24 pm

1. Do the people from the DK speak languages other then English?
The King of Shadows
BumbleKnight

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:24 pm

1. Are there any plans currently on killing off any more characters?

2. Any plans on revisiting Knothole? (Like Robotropolis/Old Mobotropolis in 207)

3. Will we learn what Dimitri's fate is in the comics in 2010?
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Just a heads up folks: my main computer died this week, and coupled with a fun bout of pneumonia, I haven't checked to see if my prep work for this week's Ask Ian is in my back-up files.

So the next round of answers might be a little slow in coming. I'll still lock the thread at the deadline and start up December's thread tonight(ish).
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Illustrious Q » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:14 pm

1.) We know that Merlin has magical abilities like teleportation, illusion casting, curse breaker, super form granter, and seer to name a few. My question is can it be safely assumed that Merlin has other abilities that he hasn't showcased yet, like alchemy?
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Orion101 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:18 pm

1. I noticed that last month when Antoine struck the Iron King with his sword that it was fine but this month when Amadeus used his it broke is their something unique about Antoine's sword?

2. Rouge had already been working for G.U.N. when she was introduced but how much would you say G.U.N.'s capabilities have improved when Shadow, Omega and Hope joined?

3. Has the transition of the Kingdom of Acorn into a Republic with largly new leaders affected their diplomatic relationship with the United Federation?
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby Super Rayzor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:39 pm

I know you didn't answer two of my questions last week so you may not be able to answer this one either, but: If Sega were to ever make Rouge and Knuckles an official couple, which I highly doubt, do you think they would force you to make it happen in the comics or would they allow the already established Knux-Su? I guess it boils down to have they ever told you to change something that's already been firmly established to be canon?
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:50 pm

I actually had about half of these done and ready to go, and then the ol' hard drive decided to not work. So while I've got a "save my files!" device on order, we'll try this again with my sketchy, emergency back-up laptop.

Question #1 wrote:Since you mentioned that the ARK was still floating in space last week, do you have any plans to revisit the ARK at some point?

I'm iffy on that prospect, since it's real easy to fall into the trap of "Prof. Gerald's Long Lost Investion #284898-B" or something like that. If we go back to the ARK, I want it to be for an interesting reason.

Question #2 wrote:If a person can't transform with the Master Emerald/ Chaos Emeralds, then what outcome is there from it/them "reacting" to contact with that individual?

It could be nothing, it could be fatal. Again, I want to get into all that eventually.

Question #3 wrote:Hypothetical situation: Sonic is holding in his hands 3 Chaos Emeralds, 2 Anarchy Beryls, and 2 Sol Emeralds- Can he transform?

Yes - he becomes a forty-foot algamation of Bette Midler and Optimus Prime. (actually, I have no idea)

Question #4 wrote:When Knuckles was Enerjak, he displayed a much more benevolent (albiet twisted) nature than the previous incarnation. Was that part of Finitevus's hex, or was Knuckles's repressed personality interfering with it?

It was bascially Knuckles filtered through Dr. Finitevus's own twisted world view. Some of his good intentions were there at the start, but it would have been a slippery slope.

Question #5 wrote:Will we ever find out what happened to Lord Yagyu? I assume he isn't the Bride but then again...?

Oh yes. You'll be getting the whole story behind the Yagyu next year.

Question #6 wrote:Would you consider Mogul to be the "boss" of the criminal underworld, not in the sense of an authority figure because I know they are just mercenaries, but someone the lower crooks (Destructix, Nack, Bean & Bark) respect and would follow if they were caught in a bigger situation?

Sure. Mogul may not be the official head honcho of the criminal underworld, but he certainly has the power and wealth to give him significant sway. To put it another way: people would do what he said whether they wanted to or not.

Question #7 wrote:What happened to Lien-Da's right-hand woman Gae-Na? She seems to have vinished from the book after the Green Knuckles Saga.

Ah Gae-Na - woman of interesting name and ever-changing design. If I think of a reason to reintroduce her, you can say she's been running around under a DEL hood all this time. Otherwise, consider her Egg Graped.

Question #8 wrote:Did Ken Penders tell anyone who Rutan's father is?

Let me make this abundantly clear: Mr. Penders did not share any of his plans with anyone on staff. If I am mistaken and he did, none of that information has reached me or anyone else I know on staff.

Question #9 wrote:Could Sonic ever be pushed far enough that he'd actually try and kill his enemy? If so, under what conditions would that occur?

No.

Question #10 wrote:Do you think it's possible for Sonic's famous (or infamous) Dark Sonic transformation to make an appearance?

Well . . . which "Dark Sonic" do you mean? If you mean the Werehog, SEGA has actually encouraged us to use that at some point. (Don't hold your breath - I'm still working on how to make that work). If you mean the incredibly brief "Dark Super Sonic" of Sonic X Season 3, no. That barely has any more merit to to it than that "Nazo" nonsense. If you mean "Darkspine Sonic" of "Sonic and the Secret Rings," no, I consider that a transformation exclusive to that zone.

Question #11 wrote:Does Tails still have any feelings for Fiona, and does he still hold out hope that she might come back?

That's two questions, but . . . eh, what the heck.

You never get over your first love, and I'm sure Tails does still pine for Fiona a bit. But at the same time I think he's slowly wrapping his mind around the fact it was a totally one-sided, baseless crush and that Fiona is rotten to the core. I'd like to explore his growth on the subject over time.

Question #12 wrote:Opening a can of worms here, but you mentioned that the United Federation still holds various holidays from Earth times: Does this mean those religions have survived, or is it just the commercial aspects that they celebrate (example: there are no nativity scenes at Christmas, but they still have Santa Claus and Christmas trees)

Oh, I figure the various forms of worship are still around, and everyone magically respects each other's beliefs and gets along grandly. In terms of fiction if would be interesting, but we're not going there in this book.

Question #13 wrote:Is there no love for Crabmeat?

Crabmeat is such a boring toady compared to Snively or the Badnik Trio. About the only thing he had going for him was he could be comically destroyed ad nauseum.

Question #14 wrote:Have you ever considered addressing the dangling plotline of Antoine's Father's map? I would think he or his father would have mentioned it while the General was still alive, but nothing ever came of it. Considering its from a pre-endgame storyline, would you ever consider addressing it?

As an old-school fan of the book and rabid devourer of dangling plotlines, yes, I would. But I can't find a reason to from a practical standpoint. Between the nuking of Robotropolis and Patch's six months of destruction of Antoine's life, there'd be virtually nothing to follow up on. Additionally, there wasn't much to follow up on with the story itself - Antoine and Snively both found nothing, and there was no clear hint as to what they'd find. I'm afraid that one is just going to have to fall by the wayside.

Question #15 wrote:Considering its such a large part of Sonic lore, do you have any plans to bring the Death Egg back?

Eh, if I could find a good reason to, I guess. Don't count on it.

Question #16 wrote:Will Shadow remain a villain should another MXYL arc pop up?

Probably. He's fun like that, and it helps define MxYL as an alter-verse.

Question #17 wrote:Will Eggman's SatAM eyes continue to feature after his return to sanity, or will the glasses remain on as per usual?

They're canon now, but don't expect them to show up too much.

Question #18 wrote:Do you have any plans for Liza?

Incredibly minor ones.

Question #19 wrote:What parts of Monkey Khan are robotic? Like is it his skeleton or something?

There is one piece of text-covered art that suggests that mostly it's skeletal, but other art suggests some of the squishy bits were replaced too - like at least one eye.

Question #20 wrote:Will Hamlin or the council be making an appearance in this year or the next?

Maybe. We're still writing 2010's stuff.

Question #21 wrote:Do you believe that character traits should be implied through dialogue?

Through dialogue and action. That said, a lot of character history and motivation has be be re-introduced every issue for the brand new readers, which can be tricky. So I try to at least poke fun at the convention from time to time - such as during Iron King / Monkey Khan's confronation in STH#207 and Sonic's commentary.

Question #22 wrote:I read somewhere that you studied Shakespeare. Did you base any of Eggman's post-#200 personality off of King Lear? Just a thought I had awhile back, because they're both insane and were kind of used as pawns and fodder for others' evil plans at some point.

Man, I wish I could sound all smart and claim that, but no. "King Lear" is one play I haven't studied. My understanding of King Lear as a character, though, was that he was more sympathetic and a tool. Eggman is not so much sympathetic as he's funny and we enjoy seeing him get some form of comeuppance.

Question #23 wrote: If I messaged you a little 4-page (double spaced of course) short story, would you critique it?

I'd love to give professional insight to folks, but "Ask Ian" is already starting to chaffe in my limited free time. I just don't have the time to give everyone a fair shake like that. So, for now, no.

Question #24 wrote:I saw in issue #197 there was a bit of build-up towards Hamlin's proclivities against Sally's actions to usurp her from authority. Will we see another coup from him in the future?

What coup? Hamlin was right. The Council gave Sally a direct order and she directly disobeyed it. Sally only got away with it on the grounds that further beauracracy was not in the Council's best interest. Halmin is commited to the new government and its people - perhaps a bit overzealously, but not with any evil intentions.

Question #25 wrote:How are the conditions of his current confinement compared to the one he was in under the watch of Snively and the Iron Dominion?

Probably much better climate control and multiple, nutrious meals a day.

Question #26 wrote:Is there any tension between the former members of the Substitute Freedom Fighters over three of them going into politics, or did they part as friends?

Within themselves, I think the SLoFF are still on good terms. I think they all regret the team falling apart, though, to varying degrees of intensity.

Question #27 wrote:Are King Acorn's minions and the Original Freedom Fighters (who were trapped in the Zone of Silence and Void) still alive, or did Naugus' mashing together of Zones and Feist's reshaping kill them all off-assuming they were even still alive?

All contents of the Zone of Silence - minions, OFF, Egg Grapes - were reduced to nothing and used as raw materials to reshape it into the Special Zone by Feist using the power of the galaxy's Chaos Emeralds. What burns me is I still haven't found a good place to say as much in the comic.

Question #28 wrote:You are soon approaching your 4 year mark as head writer on the comics (Congrats on that) Conveniently, your start as writer heralded a significant calendar date in Sonic Lore (Sonic's birthday) That said (and ignoring the "nobody is ever aging" principle as best we can), about how much time, in the comic, has passed since then (Issue 160) and now (For arguments sake, issue 207)

Eh...maybe a few months?

Question #29 wrote:You mentioned early that Dimitri has fallen into limbo. My question is why bring someone into the book who hasn't been seen since STH 118 only for him to put him back into "Limbo"?

I'm not sure what you mean by "since STH#118" since Dimitri has been fairly active as of late. He was a key source of information and instigator of action during "Enerjak: Reborn." He was an active leader of the DEL (remember the manits-mech?) He even stood against Knuckles (sort of) in the prelude to STH#200. All of his apperances up until now have been building him towards this final, ultimate downfall. So now we'll take some time to tell some other stories, and then we'll get back to him and wrap up his personal plot line.

Question #30 wrote:If somebody wants to get involved with writing the comics, like submitting scripts / plots, do they need to contact you or somebody in Archie Comics?

All of that is right here, stickied at the top of the forum.

Question #31 wrote:I miss the rivalry between Tails and Mogul; they are both each other’s arch-nemesis (not Sonic and Mogul). Are we’re going to see this come to light again?

While I understand the basis of this misconception, there really wasn't much of a rivalry. Mogul certainly saw Tails as a potential threat, but Tails never really seemed to return the sentiment. We never saw him react to being magically cloned. He didn't seek out his multiverse confrontation with Mogul; Zonic said that's how it was and he went with it. Tails has barely seemed to acknowledge Mogul as anything more than another villain, and it's never been a real one-on-one confrontation. If we were to revisit the notion of Mogul vs. Tails, I'd like to rebuild it on a stronger foundation.

Question #32 wrote:Is there a chance, a slight chance at least for a Sonic art book to be released?

I dunno. Write in to Sonic Grams and demand it!

Question #33 wrote:You mentioned your site content last week, and it got me to thinking how awesome it would be for you guys to do a podcast. It's not something you have to update regularly (though I suppose it's preferred), and you can talk about the comic and anything Sonic-related and answer some fan questions. What do you think?

It's a fun idea, and I've considered it in the past. But when you boil it down, it's essentially an audio version of "Ask Ian," except instead of a text file, it requires audio equipment, sound mixing, editing of tracks, managable file sizes, hosting, etc. "Ask Ian" is about my limit right now.

Question #34 wrote:In an earlier blog, you said you had another story in mind for Shade from Sonic Chronicles. You stated that the first story she appeared in (The Chronicles adaption) was non-canon to the comics main storyline. If this new story was to be published, would it this time be part of the main Archieverse; if so, does that mean everybody who met her in the Chronicles story (Tails and Knuckles specifically) would have no recolection of meeting her in that first story?

Right - when we get around to bringing in the Nocturnus for real that back-up story will hold no bearing.

Question #35 wrote:In earlier issues, one of the key differences between the Overlanders and the Humans of SS was that Overlanders had 4 fingers while humans had 5 fingers. But in more recent issues, Overlander characters like Hope and the Iron Queen are shown to have 5 fingers like the humans. Is this simply a retconn, or a mistake?

It's a rule that was never successfully enforced in the book, so I'm treating it as a typical mutation in the overlander "breed." Sometimes they have four fingers, sometimes five. Some are gargantuan (Julian Kintobor) and others are dinky (Snively, Nate Morgan).

Question #36 wrote:In the game universe, there is a confusion conserning Blaze's origin; one is that she comes from a parallel dimention (As depicted in the comic) while another says she came from the future (The same one Silver comes from). Do you plan to incorperate this in the comic at some point (with an explination for it)?

No! Nononononono! Until SEGA gets their story straight, I'm not touching it. Why get into a messy retcon when we might eventually have to re-retcon it?

Question #37 wrote:If the Zone of Silence became the Special Zone, what on Mobius was the Special Zone as seen in STH#4? Zonic seemed to imply in SSS#8 that it was a multiverse zone...

It was another zone chalked full of rings and emeralds that just happened to also be called "The Special Zone" and never was seen again.

Question #38 wrote:If Sonic can't travel the Cosmic Interstate without Zone Cop approval (SSS#8 again), how could he even access the CI in #197 when the interstate was on lockdown?

Same way the Suppression Squad did when they invaded: they broke in. Note that Sonic was almost immediately arrested once on the Cosmic Interstate.

Question #39 wrote:Any ideas for new robot doppelgangers to appear in the future? I know Metal Knuckles and Tails Doll get asked a lot and while I'm curious about them I'm specifically thinking of the Shadow Androids right now.

No plans for them right now. Last time I checked, SEGA wasn't keen on us using the Shadow Androids. Hopefully that will have changed by the time we want to use them.

Question #40 wrote:Any plans for the Wolf Pack in the new year?

Yup!

Question #41 wrote:Does Nicole have a Moebius (Anti) counterpart like the others or is her origins too unique to the prime-zone ?

I figure she does, I just haven't gotten a good idea for her yet.

Question #42 wrote:Another question about the weasel siblings, who's older Nic or Nack, or has that not been estblished yet?

In my research I didn't come across exact ages for them - if somebody has an issue number and quote to correct me, feel free to prove me wrong. I think they've been assumed to be twins, and it's the assumption I've been working under.

Question #43 wrote:Ever think of Sally learning Kung Fu? Or if she already knows it, thought of having her display it more?

Aside from her fighting side-by-side with Sonic? Aside from taking on SWAT Bots? Aside from fighting the Destructix in Mogul's casino? Aside from fighting "Iron Khan?"

Question #44 wrote:Is it safe to assume Amy is around her video game age (12) in the comics? As far as I know her exact age was never stated.

Yeah, around there.

Question #45 wrote:You often talked before about having to get Sega's Permission to use a character such as Cream or Omega and sometimes they won't let you. If Sega were to want to use and Archie character such as Bunnie or Scourge for a game would they just be able to use them or would they need Archie's permission?

My understanding of it is that SEGA owns everything attached to Sonic. So anything we create that's new is instantly theirs.

Question #46 wrote:In in Issue #192 Jules says something about the prime zone being filled with heroic people who fight evil and Moebius being filled with cowards trying to ruin the world. Since the Prime Jules seems to be somewhat heroic himself, shouldn't his Moebius counterpart be evil?

Mobius and Moebius are not necessarily 1:1, good:evil, heads:tails types of correlations. Prime-Jules is rather blunt and fought as just another soldier in the Great War and is deeply devoted to his family. Moebian-Jules was a key figure in the Great Peace, quite the talker, but didn't give a flip about his family. So it's not so much good vs. evil as it's noble vs. lousy.

Question #47 wrote:Was Dr. Ivo Kintobor involved at all in the great peace on Moebius? If so was he friends or affiliated with Anti-Jules?

That's an interesting question. Let's brainstorm!

On Mobius, Julian Kintobor betrayed his homeland and aided the enemy to bring an end to the Great War, but purely for selfish reasons.

On Moebius, instead of a long period of peace broken by a catastrophic war, we had long periods of turmoil brought to an end by the Great Peace. So, conceivably, Dr. Ivo Kintobor was a prominent public figure acting for the benefit of both kingdoms rather than skulking around. Additionally, he would've done it for truly altruistic reasons. So, yes, he could've conceivably worked closely with Moebian-Jules.

That was fun!

Question #48 wrote:Are we ever gonna see or find out who those orphans are? The ones who were running around with Vector .

We'll definitely have hints about who a couple were. As for a full-on backstory, given that Vector is SegaSonic, I'm hesitant to do too much.

Question #49 wrote:(question about order of events in Regina Ferrum's lifetime)

Yup, that looks right to me.

Question #50 wrote:I realize you are very busy with 2 book and the encyclopedia while also habing a life, but will you be coming out with another "Let's Play/Review Sonc the Hedgehog" youtube video?

I had the audio for the next one done and just needed to find the scans - and then my coputer died. So....yeah. One day. One day.

Question #51 wrote:I heard a rumor from someone (not here but on another forum) that those SEGA mandates you keep mentioning say that Sonic x Sally is offically axed, permanently. Confused Any truth to this?

Well, technically, SEGA doesn't want Sonic paired with anyone. Not Sally, not Amy, not Mina, not Blaze, not Antoine - nobody. They seem to give us a little bit of leeway as long as the pairings aren't too "serious." It might be one of those things we end up pushing until we're told to dial it back.

Question #52 wrote:How would you say Mogul gets along with Scratch Grounder and Coconuts?

While they might get annoyed on occassion, I think he'd finds them rather amusing.

Question #53 wrote:If you could change StH #39 (Paris-site and the French-Frirus) in any way, what would you do to make it better?

Eh, chalk it up a fever dream.

Question #54 wrote:What first sparked your idea to have Sally and Khan as a couple?

I can't get into all the reasong behind it right now, but for now...

Part of it stemmed from my desire to make Ken a likeable and viable hero. Up until this arc he was easily one of the least liked characters and I took it as a personal challenge to make him not only palatable, but a new fan favorite. So I studied the character; what were his redeemable traits? What were his failures, and how could they be believably corrected or used to make him sympathetic? What can he do that's cool, and how can I capatalize on that?

As I was figuring him out, I came to realize there were a surprising number of parallels between him and Sonic. Ken's immediate infatuation with Sally in his debut, coupled with the ever-present "Sonic x Sally" idea, plus the Sonic / Ken parallels all came together into the mad idea of pairing Ken and Sally. So I came at it from the other direction: would Sally even give him the time of day? As I went over Sally's own self-destruction and regrowth, the pairing actually made sense.

I also knew the powder keg I was setting up, so I purposefully built it up extremely slowly - from the use of casual names, to the show of concern, to Sally's final big confrontation with her feelings.

That all said, we're not done yet. All we've seen is Ken's interest and Sally's apparent decision to see where "they" can go. I'd say we're... half-way... through this particular subplot. (which begs the question: do they break it off, or do they live happily ever after?)

Question #55 wrote:Where did you get your nickname "Potto?"

I'm a bit of a zoology nut, and I love obscure critters. The potto is about as obscure as they come, and it eventually became my nickname.

Question #56 wrote:How did the Iron King get so incredibly tough?

That's staying a mystery for now.

Question #57 wrote:Excluding Sonic, out of the main heroes, (i.e. Freedom Fighters, Chaotix, Team Dark, and miscellaneous others) which charcter would you say is the most optimistic. The person who has the most hope no matter how bad the situation and can therefore inspire others to hope.

I'd say it's a toss-up between Mighty and Ray. Ray is generally sunny and cheerful, but it kind of loses its meaning with his youthful naivety. Mighty, on the other hand, has seen a few rough patches and remains fairly laid-back and optimistic. He's a glass-half-full kind of guy. Close runner up is Bunnie, who is definitely optimistic herself, but I also see her as more pragmatic than Mighty. It's a really fine line.

Question #58 wrote:Since we got to see the other three Brides, does that mean there's a chance of seeing the storm top freedom fighters that got killed by posessed Khan, or do they're appearances fall under the "unlikely category?"

Unlikely, since I'd rather not introduce a team of characters that would live only in flashback.

Question #59 wrote:Is the Eggman Empire simply part of the Iron Dominion now, or is it still technically around but ruled by Regina, Jun Kun and Snively?

Depends on who you ask in the empire. Technically speaking, it's the Eggman Empire that controls the world, and it's the Iron Dominion that controls the empire.

Question #60 wrote:Are we going to learn more about these mysterious robot dragons that seem to be numerous in the Dragon Kingdom?

I'm definitely trying to plant some seeds to follow up on. The ancient robots of the Dragon Kingdom is just one of many things I'll want to come back to if this story arc proves popular.

Question #61 wrote:How old is Regina Ferrum?

Late 20s, early 30s.

Question #62 wrote:I don't know if you've answered this question before, but with the him reappearing in the recent issue, what are your thoughts on the Robotnik Prime design?

It's not "Robotnik," but it certainly has its own charm. It can be ridiculous to the point of hilarity, or it can be extremely intimidating. It all depends on the artist and the circumstances.

Question #63 wrote:Kind of an odd question, but we've talked about Mario before in this discussion and I'm just curious: what about third, forgotten son of the 8 and 16-bit platforming era: Mega Man. Did you ever think he'd make a good comic book?

I never got to read Dreamwave's version, but sure, I think any of the MegaMan series could make for good comics.

Question #64 wrote: Let's say money is not an issue here (aka the pay would be the same), if you were offered a job to write for one of the bigger comic books (like Spider-Man or something similar), would you take it? Keep in mind other aspects would not change (fan expectations, bosses, etc.).

So long as I didn't get into any trouble for working for a rival publishing house, sure. I'm not one to turn my nose up at work. My only real concern would be telling a good story with another property. I don't know them all inside and out like Sonic.

Question #65 wrote:Mogul was trapped inside the Master Emerald thanks to the Walkers, and the Super trio. Is it possible for someone to be trapped inside a normal Chaos Emerald?

I suppose so. But keep in mind that Mogul's emerald was special - it was cursed by the Ancient Walkers and it had been fused with him for hundreds of years. It wasn't just a Chaos Emerald, it was his Chaos Emerald.

Question #66 wrote:Is the iron queen's staff a big source of her powers?

No, it's more of a focusing wand.

Question #67 wrote:will we be seeing the bride of constant vigil soon?

Fairly soon, yes.

Question #68 wrote:With increasing references to Sonic Chronicles (Twilight Cage, Zoah, ruins of another ancient civilization), is there any chance we might see some of the Nocturnus Clan gizoids which destroyed Pachacamac's Knuckles Clan, such as Prefect Scylla, Prefect Charyb, or the legendary gizoid, Emerl?

Gizoids are highly unlikely, and Emerl is definitely a no go. SEGA considers Emerl to be SX-exclusive, and they aren't keen on us referencing the gizoids.

Question #69 wrote:By the way, was it actually the Nocturnus Clan's army of gizoid prototypes that defeated their rival, the Knuckles Clan (as told in Sonic Chronicles), or was it Perfect Chaos that wiped out the Knuckles Clan (as told in Sonic Adventure)?

Perfect Chaos. The Nocturnus were poised to stomp the Knuckles Clan into the dirt when they were whisked away to the Twilight Cage in the Argus Event.

Question #70 wrote:Are Bunnie's uncle and aunt, Beauregard and Lulumae, actually canon?

I'm pulling a "Word of God" on this one - yep.

Question #71 wrote:Do the people from the DK speak languages other then English?

Yes. Just like there's got to be a region (probably near Mercia) that speaks French, I figure there are regions of the Dragon Kingdom that speak Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese, Japanese, etc. But like the rest of Mobius (for some reason), English is the pervailing language. I don't pepper their dialogue with the regional languages, though, because I don't speak a word of any of those languages, and I'd rather not say something stupid/offensive by accident. (And, no, I don't speak French, but my wife does. Apparently she's saved me from some real blunders).

Question #72 wrote:Any plans on revisiting Knothole? (Like Robotropolis/Old Mobotropolis in 207)

All that remains of Knothole are the Great Wastes, the surrounding Great Forest, and Freedom HQ - all of which we've seen.

Question #73 wrote:We know that Merlin has magical abilities like teleportation, illusion casting, curse breaker, super form granter, and seer to name a few. My question is can it be safely assumed that Merlin has other abilities that he hasn't showcased yet, like alchemy?

Sure, so long as you don't assume it's canon.

Question #74 wrote:I noticed that last month when Antoine struck the Iron King with his sword that it was fine but this month when Amadeus used his it broke is their something unique about Antoine's sword?

Different uses of the sword. Antoine was making glancing blows to push Iron King back. Amadeus was going for blood.

Question #75 wrote:Rouge had already been working for G.U.N. when she was introduced but how much would you say G.U.N.'s capabilities have improved when Shadow, Omega and Hope joined?

I think Team Dark is too new to their infrastructure to really say yet.

Question #76 wrote:Has the transition of the Kingdom of Acorn into a Republic with largly new leaders affected their diplomatic relationship with the United Federation?

Not especially. They're both committed to the fight against the Eggman Empire.

Question #77 wrote:If Sega were to ever make Rouge and Knuckles an official couple, which I highly doubt, do you think they would force you to make it happen in the comics or would they allow the already established Knux-Su? I guess it boils down to have they ever told you to change something that's already been firmly established to be canon?

If SEGA told us to ditch the entire ArchieSonic universe and start from scratch, we'd have to do it. We'd fight it tooth and nail, obviously, and try to negotiate some kind of middle ground, but ultimately SEGA has the final say on all things concerning the book.

And finally...

These Are BAD QUESTIONS wrote:Based on what is asummed(I know people jump to conclusions) from Sonic #207, are you planning on keeping Sally and Kahn's relationship perament or not?
Are you planning on keeping Sonic and Amy a couple or not(again assuming they are couple now)?
What's with the sudden interest in the "Kraken" from SATam are you planning something?
what was the bride of conquering storm smiling about when she left for the dragon kingdom?
Are there any plans currently on killing off any more characters?

To answer these questions would be to reveal specific plot points or to blatantly ensure against them. There is no suspense if you know something will or will not happen. These are the kinds of questions that killed off "Ask Ian" for a few months. Don't ask these kinds of questions.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius