Sonic Universe #3 Spoilers/Preview/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 am

I'm glad folks seem to be really enjoying this one. It's a story I've wanted to tell for a long time.

A lot of the elements have always been there - Gamma on its last leg, some kind of cat-and-mouse chase, and the snowy mountains. The players have shifted over the years - pre-Archie employment to now - but the basics have always been there.

And while Tracy did a marvelous job with the art, and while I'm definitely proud of the story, this is the one story I've done that I don't think I can properly convey in a printed medium. I want this story animated so bad it hurts.

In animation, the transitions between Eggman and Cmd. Tower's debriefings could be more deliberate. In animation I'd have more time to pause and really drive home the notion of the isolation.

Imagine: Shadow's free-fall in a complete camera-following sequence; Shadow hunting through the knee-deep snow for a bit before finding the tracks; the tension as Omega prepared to strike and all you'd hear was the whisper of the snow for a full fifteen seconds; etc.

There will be sequences where I'd like to see it moving and elements I think of as something outside of comics that need to be translated in. For example, the Egg Tarantula of STH#200 was a neat game boss idea I had and then made to work within the medium of the comic.

But "Old Soldiers" is the only project that I really wish I could get a quality animation team behind and had to "make do" with the comic. We did an excellent job, but oh what could have been . . .

Since I'm not doing Script Bits! anymore, think of this as a kind of mini-one.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Mustachio » Sat May 09, 2009 3:52 am

If the issue was animated... oh man that could of been epic, Mr. Flynn.

I'll settle with the comic for now. Steller writing perforamance! I really enjoyed this one. 8)
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » Sat May 09, 2009 8:58 am

If the issue was animated... oh man that could of been epic, Mr. Flynn.

I second that.

Just got this today, and thought it was the best SU issue yet along with #1 [the second issue was alright but felt rather short and rushed compared to these two methinks].

Can't wait to see how Team Dark fare against whathisname next time [Panda? Fudo?]... :P
Chosenoneknuckles
BumbleNoble

Postby FairFieldFinder » Sat May 09, 2009 9:00 am

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:Can't wait to see how Team Dark fare against whathisname next time [Panda? Fudo?]... :P

Feist.
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » Sat May 09, 2009 9:02 am

Fairfieldfencer wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:Can't wait to see how Team Dark fare against whathisname next time [Panda? Fudo?]... :P

Feist.

That's the one. Ta, bitte schion!
Chosenoneknuckles
BumbleNoble

Postby Matthew Woodley » Sat May 09, 2009 10:44 am

IanPotto wrote:

You know Ian, maybe you should do these for every issue. I mean we all know Script Bits! aren't coming back so maybe you should give us a mini-one every issue. Once the discussion for 200's cooled down you can do one for that as well.

Though if you think it would cost you to much work or time it's alright, just suggesting. I just think it would be nice to know a small inkling into your thought proccess every issue. And if you ever get the chance you really should get into animation, you'd be perfect for it.
Matthew Woodley
BumbleFan

Postby theJcfreak » Sat May 09, 2009 11:00 am

Matthew Woodley wrote:
IanPotto wrote:

You know Ian, maybe you should do these for every issue. I mean we all know Script Bits! aren't coming back so maybe you should give us a mini-one every issue. Once the discussion for 200's cooled down you can do one for that as well.

Though if you think it would cost you to much work or time it's alright, just suggesting. I just think it would be nice to know a small inkling into your thought proccess every issue. And if you ever get the chance you really should get into animation, you'd be perfect for it.

I like that idea. I always loved behind-the-scenes kinda stuff. I also think SU #3 would have been perfect animated. Of course, you would need some animators though...

...Call me in another 10 years. 8)
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat May 09, 2009 11:24 am

Matthew Woodley wrote:
IanPotto wrote:

I've thought about that, but SU#3 is more of a special case. The behind-the-scenes stuff for everything else recently would be too spoilery, or the really interesting tidbits can't be talked about yet/ever.

If I get the occasion - like I did here - I'll toss something in.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby WinkingSamurai » Sun May 10, 2009 1:12 am

IanPotto wrote:In animation, the transitions between Eggman and Cmd. Tower's debriefings could be more deliberate. In animation I'd have more time to pause and really drive home the notion of the isolation.

Imagine: Shadow's free-fall in a complete camera-following sequence; Shadow hunting through the knee-deep snow for a bit before finding the tracks; the tension as Omega prepared to strike and all you'd hear was the whisper of the snow for a full fifteen seconds; etc.

By any chance have you ever watched Samurai Jack? Your vision of how this issue would play out animated is quite reminiscent of Samurai Jack, specifically episode vii, Jack and the Three Blind Archers. The snowy backdrop, the deliberate pacing, the use of silence before entering explosive action-- it may be the closest we'll ever get to what you were aiming for.

MOD EDIT: Linked removed for copyright infringement.
WinkingSamurai
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun May 10, 2009 1:30 am

WinkingSamurai wrote:By any chance have you ever watched Samurai Jack? Your vision of how this issue would play out animated is quite reminiscent of Samurai Jack, specifically episode vii, Jack and the Three Blind Archers. The snowy backdrop, the deliberate pacing, the use of silence before entering explosive action-- it may be the closest we'll ever get to what you were aiming for.

Actually, I'd be more inspired by the episode during the last season where he faced off against the group of bounty hunters. The title and number escape me, but that general kind of feel, yes.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Duuz Diz Din » Sun May 10, 2009 8:16 am

IanPotto wrote:
WinkingSamurai wrote:By any chance have you ever watched Samurai Jack? Your vision of how this issue would play out animated is quite reminiscent of Samurai Jack, specifically episode vii, Jack and the Three Blind Archers. The snowy backdrop, the deliberate pacing, the use of silence before entering explosive action-- it may be the closest we'll ever get to what you were aiming for.

Actually, I'd be more inspired by the episode during the last season where he faced off against the group of bounty hunters. The title and number escape me, but that general kind of feel, yes.

Are you serious!?! Jeez! That would let alone be the most awesome moment in Sonic history! Gamma slowly shifting through the snow, the viewer constantly aware of the immanent danger Shadow is facing, wondering if he'll notice, the quietness of the moment slowly stealing your breath away. Ah! Now that is truly a scene that would have me on the edge of my seat!

Oh! How I miss Samurai Jack! :cry:
Duuz Diz Din
BumbleNoble

Postby General Tekno » Sun May 10, 2009 9:16 am

That sounds epic.

Anyone with Flash animation backgrounds who knows how to fulfill this?
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Toug » Sun May 10, 2009 11:19 am

General Tekno wrote:That sounds epic.

Well, first get a hefty bankroll going, hire a few dozen people, wait a few months, and BAM!: cartoon.

As cool as the story would be animated, that's the great part about comics. It only takes a handfull of people a relatively short time to do the same thing.
Toug
BumbleKnight

Postby FairFieldFinder » Sun May 10, 2009 11:23 am

Toug wrote:
General Tekno wrote:That sounds epic.

Well, first get a hefty bankroll going, hire a few dozen people, wait a few months, and BAM!: cartoon.

Not to mention permission from Archie. Otherwise, you're breaking copyright laws.
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

Postby nuckles87 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Duuz wrote:
IanPotto wrote:

Are you serious!?! Jeez! That would let alone be the most awesome moment in Sonic history! Gamma slowly shifting through the snow, the viewer constantly aware of the immanent danger Shadow is facing, wondering if he'll notice, the quietness of the moment slowly stealing your breath away. Ah! Now that is truly a scene that would have me on the edge of my seat!

Oh! How I miss Samurai Jack! :cry:

Well, it is coming back as an animated movie....
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius