What's wrong with Sonic Fandom?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: What's wrong with Sonic Fandom?

Postby RaceProUK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:27 pm

Commenter Kyle sums it up perfectly:
The main reason I hate this fanbase is because it’s full of misinformed hatred towards the franchise it supposedly “loves”.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:33 pm

RaceProUK wrote:Commenter Kyle sums it up perfectly:
The main reason I hate this fanbase is because it’s full of misinformed hatred towards the franchise it supposedly “loves”.

that is, once again, a thing that defines all fandoms
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Makes it no less valid an observation of our own.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Actually, I'd say the fractured nature of the Sonic Fandom is a good thing. Not necessarily when it comes to the direction of the franchies: it's a nightmare for that, but more along the lines with being a fandom in general. When a fandom becomes too homogenous, that's when things can be a problem. I mean, you got the Steven Universe fandom, who literally drive people to try and kill themselves for creating fanart that goes against what they deem is appropriate, creating bullying social media campaigns. Sonic fans do not have that kind of destructive power, nor do they seem interested in doing such a thing, because for every radical out there who wants to force SEGA to shove sally in the games, there are other people who are perfectly find to leave her where she is, for example.

EDIT: On another bit about inappropriate fanart, we have subcultures in the sonic fandom that pay homage and parody those elements (a certain fan game that came out last year comes to mine) instead of demonizing those aspects of the community.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:23 pm

How is twenty radical factions better than one
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Specs64z » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Penguin God wrote:How is twenty radical factions better than one

I think he meant in the sense that a lack of unity in a rebellion or group of hostile people does makes it easier to crush ignore.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

The consensus I've seen about the Sonic fandom was that they were weird or creepy, or childish, but not dangerous, unlike some of the more bullying, newer fanbases out there. Which is interesting to note
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Except there were times where voice actors (primarily the 4Kids guys) got death threats for voicing their characters in the games. Not to mention Pontac and Graff have been harassed numerous time until they closed themselves off from the fanbase.

So yeah, the fanbase has exhibited some borderline cruel and bullying behaviors. These are traits not exclusive to 'newer' fandoms.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Every fandom has rabid crazy fans and is fractured on at least some level. None of the traits listed here are unique for a fandom.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
EDIT: On another bit about inappropriate fanart, we have subcultures in the sonic fandom that pay homage and parody those elements (a certain fan game that came out last year comes to mine) instead of demonizing those aspects of the community.

Sonic Dreams Collection was absolutely more demonizing than it was affectionate, in terms of its execution.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:04 am

Sonic Dreams Collection felt like it arrived several years too late.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Mordum wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

Sonic Dreams Collection was absolutely more demonizing than it was affectionate, in terms of its execution.

It can be a critique of the franchise's fanbase, but it is done with love and attetion
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:22 am

I'm going to have to side with Mordum on this one. With the image problems the blue hedgehog is suffering from, and the general disdain for his fandom that everyone outside of it (And quite a lot of people inside it, as this topic shows) has, releasing a deliberately awful game dedicated to mocking both isn't going to help. It's just going to give more ammunition for prats like the Game Grumps.

Sonic F (Because "F" is funnier than "Q") is an affectionate parody. Sonic Dreams Collection is not.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:41 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Mordum wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

It can be a critique of the franchise's fanbase, but it is done with love and attetion

You have an odd definition of "Love" and "Affection".
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius