Mandate Loophole?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Mandate Loophole?

Postby MeltingMan234 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Seeing as how this'll be my last post before this forum section bites the dust, here's something that always bothered me about one of the many SEGA Mandates to the Archie Sonic comics. Of course one of them is that SEGA Sonic characters are not allowed to have any backstory or have relatives...... and yet we have Eclipse the Darkling as Shadow's brother since they're both related to the whole Black Arms thing and Wendy, that witch character from Tails Skypatrol as Nagus's sister. I even remember a section on the forums dedicated to Wendy or some characters from Tails Skypatrol about if they were featured in the Archie Sonic comics, and that was years ago. How they managed to get this loophole past SEGA will always remain a mystery to me.
MeltingMan234
BumbleNewbie

Re: Mandate Loophole?

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Naugus is not a Sega character.

The Black Arms are probably a special case.
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:46 pm

Eclipse keeps touting himself as Shadow's "brother", but it's really not a bond in that way at all. They share some of the same blood, which...is true for pretty much all of the hivemind. And they don't really share brotherly bonds with it, they're mostly generic hivemind soldiers. It's little wonder Shadow scoffs the idea off.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:49 pm

The Shadow Imperator wrote:Naugus is not a Sega character.

no but Wendy is. however, that's irrelevant because Sega has mostly disavowed any character from before Sonic Adventure who hasn't ever made a reappearance, and thus the mandates that apply to the guys you see in Generations don't apply to these older, abandoned characters.

also Eclipse is not Shadow's brother in any kind of nuclear family sense. they happen to both be experiments created by the same guy for the purpose of expanding his species, that's as far as their relation goes. keep in mind Sonic can call Chuck "Uncle" without actually being blood related to him, Eclipse is doing the same to Shadow but Shadow doesn't consider him a brother in any sense
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:thus the mandates that apply to the guys you see in Generations don't apply to these older, abandoned characters.

And that means characters who appear in-story or as statues in the secret room, posters don't count before anyone tries that.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Meliden wrote:
Mr.Unsmiley wrote:thus the mandates that apply to the guys you see in Generations don't apply to these older, abandoned characters.

And that means characters who appear in-story or as statues in the secret room, posters don't count before anyone tries that.

So, when will we get the revelation that Uncle Chuck is actually Mighty's biological uncle?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby MeltingMan234 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Meliden wrote:

........which also means that Matilda the Armadillo is still Mighty's sister in the new continuity of the comics......
MeltingMan234
BumbleNewbie

Postby MeltingMan234 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 pm

Ok, so from what I'm getting at is any character that was featured in Generations is affected by this mandate and that anything goes for any character not appearing in that game. Ok, so what's SEGA's excuse for not letting them have Dr. Nega or Tiara Boobowski make physical appearances in the comics? Or is it just another one of those, "Because SEGA said so" excuses? And yes I know about Tiara's cameo's in the Archie Sonic comics from the past, but now they've recently said that they can't use her anymore, so yeah.
MeltingMan234
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 pm

Matilda is one of the many things that cant exist in the new continuity because the idea of Mighty having a sister didn't come from Ian, and all pre-Ian concepts being washed away is the point of the reboot. Mighty could conceivably have a sibling again because Sega doesn't care about him, but it would be uneasy ground to touch.

Ian hasn't given us the details on Tiara B but I don't think Sega is behind that one. my personal guess is that while Chris Senn has been very supportive of fan attempts to revive X-Treme, the other guy who worked on the game (Ofer Alon) has shown a Penders-like possessiveness over his works and concepts and so he probably doesn't want to play ball. that's just speculation on my end though

as for Eggman Nega, no clue there. Ian has said that Sega wouldn't let him use Mephiles or Black Doom outside of flashbacks because they're dead (whereas my previous assumption for not being allowed to use Mephiles was just to shy away from 06 as a whole) but Nega is not dead and he doesn't have any interference from any other creators so... god only knows. you'd have to get in with Sega to figure that one out
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Mobotropolis » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 am

I sort-of remember that there was some sort of trouble with those cameos in " Home ".

In any case they're a lot more careful about not stepping on anyone's toes these days since, you know, they had to reboot the book because that type of thing went horribly wrong. They got away with things back then that they simply couldn't today, mandate or otherwise.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 am

A version of Tiara was suppose to be in Sonic Mars, which was led by Michael Kosaka. So I would think that has more of a possibility than Ofer Alon not signing off as he was just the programmer. So it could be a fear of triggering hidden red tape.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the reason was Sega and the fact Tiara was never featured in a Sonic game. Maybe even the fact that she's not only a scrapped character, but was created by the American branch for what was at the time a controversial game in the company. Sega is very protective of the Sonic brand now, and Sonic Xtreme was a game that was deemed a failure by the major Sega branch at the time. So it wouldn't be surprising if Sega doesn't want the comic to remind fans that such a game almost existed. Of course Sonic Boom is still a thing, so we'll never know. Though the spin off status probably saves it.

We more than likely just got lucky that Sega added Honey to the Sonic the Fighters HD port.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby OncleSam » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:17 am

Um, what's this about this section of the forum biting the dust ?
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby Matt7325 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:34 am

OncleSam wrote:Um, what's this about this section of the forum biting the dust ?

http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8615&start=0
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:42 pm

"So what's SEGA's excuses for this and that"

Is "WE OWN THE DANG THING" not excuse enough for you, OP?
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:17 pm

The KKM wrote:"So what's SEGA's excuses for this and that"

Is "WE OWN THE DANG THING" not excuse enough for you, OP?

I will never as long as I live understand why people can't or just plain won't accept that Sega has full say on their own property.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius