Sonic toys

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic toys

Postby Xabin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:56 pm

So, I've been fascinated with the Jazwares Sonic action figures for quite a while, and have seen several awesome kitbashes people have done to them to make their own characters (like the other Freedom Fighters and whatnot), but I've never been able to get a hold of any of them. How good are they? Are they worth getting? Which characters do you wish they would've brought out, if they could?

Also, I remember, a long while back, going to the local amusement park, and for the prizes of their old-school Temptation skeeball game, they had giant-sized (by that I mean, as big as a person) versions of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and either Shadow or Amy. I wish I could've gotten one, but never won the right amount of tickets for them. Anyone know where I can pick one up from, though?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Re: Sonic toys

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:44 pm

the only one I have is Lancelot Shadow, which I believe is a larger size class than the normal ones. It's got really nice detailing and decent articulation, but the figure is -extremely- top heavy because its head is one giant ball of hard plastic. It would've helped tremendously if it was a hollow piece of plastic (I know from owning and occasionally opening up Transformers that Hasbro tends to save money on amount of plastic they use by making the insides of some of their parts and stuff not completely solid) because then you could actually pose him without needing to prop him up against things. He has surprisingly decent articulation for something with such unusual proportions, but most of it can't be utilized without him falling over. nevertheless, I have got him holding his sword in a few decent positions other than just standing still.

so I guess what I'm saying is they're pretty well made but not necessarily well executed
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Xabin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:25 pm

I want to get one each of the Normal sized Sonic characters, but it seems like they're so expensive; the pack with all of the main Sonic characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Silver) is going for over $160. Though my first set will have to be either Big with Froggy, or the Chaotix three set.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Xabin wrote:I want to get one each of the Normal sized Sonic characters, but it seems like they're so expensive; the pack with all of the main Sonic characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Silver) is going for over $160.

yeah, I was in the same boat 2 years ago, and ultimately never followed through with getting any of them
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 pm

I recommend getting the Chaotix set and stopping there. The 3 Inch figures are fragile, stick easily, and a hastily produced in some cases (IE Blaze, mines lower legs were attached backwards and if you attempt to just turn the legs around the splay out so you can't stand her at all). Like said before the engineering is mind-boggling in some places, hollow shoes on the Super Posers, but full heavy plastic heads. Knuckles dreads are solid plastic meaning you can't raise his arms higher than what they allow. Giant Sonic has arms to thin to really support his hands, and Eggman is too rare for the MAIN VILLAIN.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:15 am

That big pack is so expensive both because it was hardly available when it was in production and because it's now out of production. Pretty much all the Jazwares stuff will be rising steadily because of production having stopped.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:22 am

therealfalconpawnch7 wrote:I recommend getting the Chaotix set and stopping there. The 3 Inch figures are fragile, stick easily, and a hastily produced in some cases (IE Blaze, mines lower legs were attached backwards and if you attempt to just turn the legs around the splay out so you can't stand her at all). Like said before the engineering is mind-boggling in some places, hollow shoes on the Super Posers, but full heavy plastic heads. Knuckles dreads are solid plastic meaning you can't raise his arms higher than what they allow. Giant Sonic has arms to thin to really support his hands, and Eggman is too rare for the MAIN VILLAIN.

Figures. (No pun intended.) If there was any one figure I'd go for, it'd be Blaze. =\

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Meliden » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:43 am

Weird, I haven't had any problems with my Blaze figure.

Only hold-up with her is that she's only available in a 2-pack.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Earlier this year, I bought a Sonic Boom Orbot and Cubot 2-pack and they have the same problem of not being able to stand up on their own. I forget which company made them but I don't think it was Jazwares. Cubot's head is too big and bulky for the rest of his body to support and while you can get Orbot to stand, the slightest tap of air can still knock him over. It makes me wish I had kept them in the box.

The only Jazwares stuff I had ever gotten was the Chaotix pack with Vector and Espio which I had no problems with and a Sonic Generations Classic Sonic and Motobug which was kept in its packaging.

I also have a Sonic amiibo if that counts. I think most of my further figurine collecting is going to be based around amiibos for the time being. At least with those, it's easy to plop them on a shelf and have them look pretty without worrying about them falling over or having to lean them against something.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Xabin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:30 pm

What about the kitbashes that I've seen people make from the Jazwares figures? Some of them that I've seen don't look too good (like the Rotor I saw made from an Eggman figure), but others look quite good (like the Rouge-based Mina Mongoose one). The biggest supply of them comes from this artist on DA: http://wakeangel2001.deviantart.com/gallery/. He does some really good work, and I'm wondering if this is a trend that people like to do with the Jazwares figures?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Matt7325 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:57 am

Don't we already have a toy/merch thread?
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:28 am

Matt7325 wrote:Don't we already have a toy/merch thread?

For official stuff, sure. This is about fan-made stuff, which honestly has me thinking it should perhaps go into the BumbleKreative Korner, but I'm not sure yet...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Xabin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Well, it's both; I'm asking about the quality of the main series of figures, but people have been using them as the basis for making other characters, so yeah. Either/or.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Return to This Side of Mobius