Sony, SEGA and Marza make live-action/animated Sonic movie

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sony, SEGA and Marza make live-action/animated Sonic mov

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:46 pm

GentlemanX wrote:I loved how they incorporated Chris into SA2's plot, it felt very natural and fitting for him to bond with Shadow the way he did. Given his relationship with Sonic and Shadow's relationship with Maria, it seemed perfectly logical to put them together.

I feel like Helen (The girl in the wheelchair. I think that's her name. I haven't seen the show in 2 years.) would of been better for the SA2 Arc in Sonic X. Then again if she was the main human character I think the show just would of been much better in general. I really never liked Chris.
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:04 pm

I dislike Chris because they were constantly trying to play up how lonely he is and how he desperately needs Sonic in his life because of that even though he had absolutely no reason to be that lonely before or after Sonic came into the picture. Even if his parents weren't always around, he still had his grandfather, a butler and maid that both cared for him dearly, three good friends at his school, and a freaking government agent for a school teacher. I mean I know having to say goodbye to your best friend can be a depressing moment but Chris ended up taking it to extremes.

Chris in general just goes back to the argument about having celebrity actors poking their way into other film adaptations of cartoons. You're not watching the show for Chris, you're watching it for the Sonic characters.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Specs64z » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Hey, I'm not the only one who liked the cartoon! :D In English, even! (cartoon, anime, potato, potato) I liked Sonic X and all the characters except Chris. He was a weakling who rarely had much to offer outside of being helpless and screwing things up. Although, his connection to Shadow made loads more sense than Amy's imo. He got better later on, but he was kind of a loser at first. If the movie was like Sonic X without any Chris-type humans, it could be decent. Not my ideal picture of Sonic on the big screen, which would be 100% animation with humans as backround characters exclusively. (see the youtube link I posted, or just go re-watch the opening cutscene of Unleashed/almost any cutscene from sa2 and/or satbk for my wish for the movie).
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:04 am

I cant Argue with Squeakyboots' last post ;P

I never minded Chris that much watching it while I was growing up, but since then I have found him to be a little annoying. A bit of a winy little kid XD *shot*

That being said, I really did like his roll in the Sonic Adventure adaptation, and the one with Eggman's big fighting robot that punches Sonic through buildings (I forget the name ;P). That moment when Chris broke out of the shackles and grabbed the chaos emeralds was by far his best moment for me XP

I also think he was really good in the final season, being all grown up, quite smart, and contributing quite a bit to the team. The only issue I can really bring up as far as that goes (if I can steal what HavocAngel told me ;P) is he kinda filled a roll that was already filled by Tails, sooooooo yeah XD *shot* But oh well, Tails got his Cosmo arc which admit it, made you cry too, and things were good :P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:29 am

Season 3 Chris was okay, though de-aging him was kind of lame. Guessing they did that so his "look" would still fit with whatever merchandise they had out. Go figure, that's usually your reason to make new stuff, but anyway...

I didn't want to bring it up before, but since it was immediately after, I'm totally for Helen over Chris.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:52 am

Chris both bored and annoyed most of the time, he came of as a empty character standing next to the quirky and cartoony Sonic characters, and the fact the show associated him with Maria breaks my heart, Helen would have been a much better choice I think. If the show had to have a human main character I would have given it to Helen.
LordLaharlsVassal
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Season 3 Chris is basically useless and once the Cosmo and Tails plot picks up the show realises it as he's mostly just background dressing.

Chris was at his best in Season 2, particularly towards the end. Befriending Bocoe and Decoe, hearing Eggman's harsh words, learning to let go of Sonic. Genuinely good moments for all characters involved.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:28 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:When I say that people didn't like Sonic X, I refer mostly to the cast of human characters that play a large role in the show.

Then just say that.

I'm not saying Sonic X was a bad show altogether but it should serve as an example of what not to do when making a live action Sonic. (That is of course if they are still insisting on it being live action. A fully CG animated movie is still a better idea and I can't see how implementing live action will do anything that would make kids like it more.)

2009's Astro Boy is a good example of a fully CGI adaption gone wrong.

The KKM wrote:Season 3 Chris is basically useless

Except for those times he made a pair of hover shoes that save Sonic from drowning, Soap shoes that made it easier for him to grind on vines, a hover board to help Sonic traverse icy terrain, and him being the second most tech savy person on the Blue Typhoone.

Jumping aboard the Chris conversation, I didn't really have anything aganist Chris except for the fact that he replaces Tails and Amy as Sonic's best friend and #1 fan girl. I also disliked how they put too much emphasis on him at times when I the viewer can clealy tell e needs to get out the way. Indeed, there were some powerful moments that made me respect him as a character like the aforementioned episode 26 where he goes balls out crazy braking the shackles, which I'm calling BS on but hey, friendship is a pretty powerful thing. But there are also moments where Christ needs to back off. But I don't dislike him for that, we're all flawed characters in this tragic tale of life.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:20 pm

Azul wrote:Except for those times he made a pair of hover shoes that save Sonic from drowning, Soap shoes that made it easier for him to grind on vines, a hover board to help Sonic traverse icy terrain, and him being the second most tech savy person on the Blue Typhoone.

All of which would've basically been just as well done by Tails, story-wise :V It's just that they can't decide what plot they want to take helm. "Chris is an adult but comes back to the Sonic World and becomes child" is a plot in itself, but then what they want to tell instead is "Tails discovers puberty", which is just as fine but conflicts for attention- and in the end, the latter clearly wins, so Chris is really just... there.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:24 pm

The KKM wrote:All of which would've basically been just as well done by Tails, story-wise :V It's just that they can't decide what plot they want to take helm. "Chris is an adult but comes back to the Sonic World and becomes child" is a plot in itself, but then what they want to tell instead is "Tails discovers puberty", which is just as fine but conflicts for attention- and in the end, the latter clearly wins, so Chris is really just... there.

But they weren't. So the point still stands that Chris wasn't just there. And it's been well defined that Chris is another source of intelligence on the crew given that he's spent the last 6 years studying under Chuck developing a well versed scientific background. Besides, Tails probably didn'y have the time to build Sonic gadgets with him being the captain of the Blue Typhoon. And Chris being a kid was solved in the episode he was reintroduced in: Time moves slower on Sonic's world. There's nothing anyone could do about that. The Tails/Cosmo romantic plot point stands on its own and has nothing to do with Chris's deagification. It's painfully apparent that season 3 was where Chris was most proactive and useful in his tenure with Sonic and friends.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:44 pm

I wasn't saying it was a plot hole, though? Just that it's a plot they shove into the background during the season to focus on other things instead, despite it being a plot that can't in good sense be ignored because of how elaborate its setup is. Chris adds nothing to the season, which is a shame. They might as well have kept him an adult on Earth with Helen and all, that'd have been a less obtrusive plot that'd still be interesting to revisit once in a while, instead of LOOK AT ALL THIS CRAZY SCI-FI STUFF THAT HAPPE- actually we don't really care about it, Tails wants Weedgirl.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:01 pm

The KKM wrote:I wasn't saying it was a plot hole, though?

No one said anything about plot holes.
Just that it's a plot they shove into the background during the season to focus on other things instead, despite it being a plot that can't in good sense be ignored because of how elaborate its setup is.

There's really nothing elaborate about how an adult is now a kid again because time moves differently on another planet.
Chris adds nothing to the season, which is a shame.

Ignoring his role as another tech geek and pilot. That really sounds more like a biased opinion rather than fact.
They might as well have kept him an adult on Earth with Helen and all, that'd have been a less obtrusive plot that'd still be interesting to revisit once in a while,

Except that would be more obtrusive to the plot, something you've voiced dissatification with, since then Chris would have absolutely nothing to do with Sonic and friends. And there's no point because unless they have some connection to what's going on with Sonic and friends then all we'd get is "Hey, remember how cool and fulfilling our lives used to be when Sonic was around?" Because the human characters really didn't matter unless they were involved with Sonic and co.
instead of LOOK AT ALL THIS CRAZY SCI-FI STUFF THAT HAPPE- actually we don't really care about it, Tails wants Weedgirl.

The Tails and Cosmo romance didn't detract from the plot at all. If anything, it made Cosmo's sacrifice all the more tragic.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:16 pm

I really think you're reading me wrong, because if anything I'm complaining he wasn't obtrusive enough. He has an elaborate setup that results in nothing more than being the scene in every Doraemon episode where Doraemon goes "THIS IS THE WEEK'S GADGET!". That's Chris' character in S3, a personification of those scenes p.much, after a setup that immensely develops and calls attention to his character coming from S2.

I also liked the Tails and Cosmo romance, my point is that it IS the focus of the plot, which isn't a bad thing, but comes at the detriment of other plots such as Chris, which isn't a bad thing except in the sense it makes the other plots useless.

My point is, if you're going to bother dragging Chris in with a whole setup about reverse-aging and planetary travel and culture crash, make that the focus or don't bother at all. You don't open, say, Digimon Adventure with "THERE ARE DIGITAL MONSTERS IN ANOTHER DIMENSION" and then make the focus of the show "but can Taichi learn how to cook eggs?!".

From the perspective of Chris at least, the other characters are generally off fine- Shadow and Rouge are kinda useless too with a few great scenes, Chaotix are great, Sonic has his moments.

Put another way, to see if you understand at least what I mean- the setup to Season 3 promises a great big Chris adventure. He travels to another universe, he has radical bodily changes, he's smart now! It's almost a classic 1980's children's adventure movie opening.

And then the show's character core is about Tails and Cosmo instead. Which ISN'T BAD but it's indicative of some indecision, probably. It's Harry Potter discovering he's a wizard, and then the book's character core being not about Harry discovering Hogwarts but how Fred Weasley has a new girlfriend, which is still a nice story but you go "why the whole Harry is a muggle is a wizard is the chosen one thing then".
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:43 pm

The KKM wrote:I really think you're reading me wrong, because if anything I'm complaining he wasn't obtrusive enough. He has an elaborate setup that results in nothing more than being the scene in every Doraemon episode where Doraemon goes "THIS IS THE WEEK'S GADGET!". That's Chris' character in S3, a personification of those scenes p.much, after a setup that immensely develops and calls attention to his character coming from S2.

Let me reiterate that the deagification was the exact opposite of elaborate. Sure, it was a surprise but him being a kid basically went like this: "Oh, I'm a kid again. Neat. Well, better go help Sonic and friends save the universe." It wasn't even an issue until the very last episode where Eggman says Chris will be trapped on Sonic's world forever. And even then, he would have enentually aged.

I also liked the Tails and Cosmo romance, my point is that it IS the focus of the plot, which isn't a bad thing, but comes at the detriment of other plots such as Chris, which isn't a bad thing except in the sense it makes the other plots useless.

The focus of the plot was Sonic and friends traveling across severnal corners of space to stop a league of tyrannical omniscidal robots that are also trees that are also dragons because why not from draining the life force of several planets before causing the extinction of all sentient life as we know it. The romance was a side plot, not the focus and it doesn't negate the necessity of any other side plots the story brings up.

My point is, if you're going to bother dragging Chris in with a whole setup about reverse-aging and planetary travel and culture crash, make that the focus or don't bother at all.

Except it was about planetary travel and culture crash. The reverse aging as I've previously mentioned was hardly a plot point. Sure, it is mentioned that Chris isn't as useful as he would like due to his weakened body but it was never intended to be such a huge focus.

From the perspective of Chris at least, the other characters are generally off fine- Shadow and Rouge are kinda useless too, Chaotix are great, Sonic has his moments.

Are you saying that this is what Chris thinks? Because that's not even remotely true. And how can you call Shadow and Rouge usless, espicially Shadow? The Choatix did nothing but screw around until the last few episodes. Rouge arguable contributed more to the plot than all of the Chaotix since she was gathering intelligence on the Metarex and Cosmo, occasionally fighting them. Shadow's return is a plot point in and of itself, and he's single handedly kicked more Metarex can than anybody. Also, dude, saying Sonic has "his moments is wrong." He was the front runner on fighting the Metarex and part of the plot revolves around collecting the Emeralds that he tossed across the galaxy.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:47 am

Dude. If you're watching James Bond and they spend 10 minutes at the start setting up that this one person is blue and then that's irrelevant to the rest of the movie, it's too elaborate for a side plot. Aging backwards is in itself a big plot point. They're applying big sci-fi stuff over at Chris, especially coming as the sequel to "the show where Chris was often the main focus", IE the previous two seasons. I'm sorry, it WAS an elaborate setup that wasn't followed up properly.
The KKM
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius