STH#278 Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#278 Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Meliden » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Shamer Freedom Fighters. The place is called Shamar.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:06 am

Bingo.

That sort of image -- "shaming Freedom Fighters" -- was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Axel T Rat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:24 am

Oh. :(hearty laughter):
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am

....I love these new freedom fighters, and I love how Spike is a total fanboy :(hearty laughter): Clove reminds me of Olivier Armstrong from FAMB, and I don't why.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:42 am

So I got the issue yesterday. Adam's art seemed okay enough to me this time around - I don't really have any major complaints about anything. I have an uneasy feeling that Spike, Sonar, and Trevor are only here for one reason...

Spoiler: show
I think they're only here so that they can eventually be killed off or roboticised or something.

...but I dunno, I could be wrong about that.

No real complaints about Evan's art. I liked Cassia's Steven Universe-style exaggerated expressions, but they're almost too 'over the top' for a character who's supposed to be a cyborg. I mean, is her face made of metal or plasticine?

I like that in Cassia, Bunnie has someone to discuss being a cyborg with - and each of them is at opposite ends of the argument so that's a good foundation for a lot of discourse between the two of them, I just felt that - having waited so long for Cassia and Clove to actually have some decent speaking time in the comic - that not enough was said/debated. I don't see the need to hold back on exploring Cassia's predicament when given an opportunity to do that with her 'opposite', Bunnie. I mean how many more opportunities are there going to be for Cassia and Bunnie to engage with one another like this before bringing the two of them together feels forced/unlikely? Maybe I'm just wary of the universe being reset again, but I genuinely worry about holding back on character details/development. There's a risk that if you hold too much back from the reader in the here and now - when the moment is right to put things on the table - that the opportunity might not come around again. Ever.

Also, I'm really, really, really struggling with what Bunnie meant when she said it was 'selfish' of Cassia to alter her body with cybernetics (not knowing that Cassia has some kind of degenerative disease - presumably of the nervous system). Selfish how? Because it offends other Mobian's sensibilities for someone to willingly alter their body using technology? Because it makes other Mobians uncomfortable to be around cyborgs? Because they're changing the body afforded them by their parents?

Maybe I have an irregular/unconventional point of view here, but to me it's not the cyborg who's being selfish in those circumstances - it's the society/other people who are being selfish because they reject this person who doesn't conform to 'socially acceptable' body norms. Don't we live in a society where 'body shaming' or 'life choice shaming' is a bad thing? Regardless of whether or not someone is a cyborg through choice, accident or necessity - I don't see that 'selfish' is the right word to be using to describe what they have become.

Or maybe 'selfish' was used for want of a better word?

This is good stuff though, Aleah. I like what you're doing here with Cassia and Bunnie. Don't hold back.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kellox » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:54 am

Very good issue, I have to say the story with Sally and Bunnie interacting with Clove and her sister was the best! it had, some dramatic tones, good dialog and for an odd feeling the scenes sort of give me a -Steven Universe-feeling??? (not that it's bad I love the show) but that is just something that came up.

The regular issue is good too, I like how Spike and his team is a downright parody of many many Sonic-alike fan characters and that he is a fanboy adds to the charm. I was instantly reminded back in the days of 2004 where every artist made their own Sonic-Oc Team.

Tho with the way things have gone I suspect that maybe they are
1: Working for Eggman,

2: Testing to see if Sonic and the freedom fighters really are capable as the stories and legends make them out to be.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:45 am

I like that a lot of people are suspicious of Spike, Sonar and Trevor.

I mean, as readers we aren't prepared to accept them at face value - to us there's clearly something nefarious afoot here* - but Sonic, Antoine and Big have fallen for their flattery I guess.

I suppose they might be egg legionnaires in disguise or something. Hmmm....

*Or maybe there isn't, I dunno?
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicWindAttack » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:54 am

I just realized, in the cover for this issue the four characters surrounding Sonic are Sally, Antoine, Big and Tails (even though he didn't appear in this issue at all), all Freedom Fighters. In the cover for the next issue, the characters surrounding Sonic are Spike, Sonar, Trevor... and Eggman. Yeah, they're definitely working for him.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby DudestofGuys » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:00 am

DoNotDelete wrote:Also, I'm really, really, really struggling with what Bunnie meant when she said it was 'selfish' of Cassia to alter her body with cybernetics (not knowing that Cassia has some kind of degenerative disease - presumably of the nervous system). Selfish how? Because it offends other Mobian's sensibilities for someone to willingly alter their body using technology? Because it makes other Mobians uncomfortable to be around cyborgs? Because they're changing the body afforded them by their parents?

Re-read the story.

Bunnie starts out asking if her cybernetics were worth joining Eggman, assuming they're for combat only. Cassia doesn't correct her assumption and calls it self-improvement. To Bunnie, this comes off as saying natural body parts are expendable, which upsets her for obvious reasons. After they fall, Bunnie tells her to just get a new leg from Eggman.

She's saying wanton cybernetic replacements are selfish not just because she's throwing away her natural limbs when they still work, but because she gets them in exchange for endangering the entire planet by helping Eggman. She calls it selfish because she's putting countless lives in danger. She calls it selfish because her boss is the same person whose actions crippled Bunnie in the first place.

There's definitely some personal spite in there since Bunnie didn't sign up for her cybernetics and she backed off once she realized that Cassia works for Eggman out of desperation and her body was frail or outright didn't work, but she doesn't call Cassia selfish because she has robo-eyes. She calls her selfish because she thought Cassia sold her body for power to a tyrant.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:04 am

So would that make them mercenaries?

I actually would like another mercenary group besides Team Hooligan. I'm not terribly impressed by these guys, though, but that might be the obvious Fan Character vibe repelling me.

I actually think they're just a bunch of dumb inexperienced kids who might get better at their jobs as time goes on. Solicts suggest that Dulcy's team is also inexperienced so this might just be the starting phases of the counter-resistance.

She's saying wanton cybernetic replacements are selfish not just because she's throwing away her natural limbs when they still work

That is delicious coming from the character who did exactly that before the reboot. :P
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 am

if they were mercenaries, they wouldnt be obligated to keep working for him. they're more like indentured servants... who happen to be skilled enough that he made them ranking officials

edit - oh wait, I thought you were referring to Dudestofguys' post above about Cassia and Clove, not the Shamar freedom fighters. we don't know what they are yet
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Chameleon Guy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:14 am

If the new characters are bad guys, that would make them the Anti Freedom Fighters (or Anti Team Sonic, in this case) of the new continuity? Without the parallel dimension thing, since that was introduced by another person. I wouldn't mind that, even though they seem nice people for now.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:26 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:No real complaints about Evan's art. I liked Cassia's Steven Universe-style exaggerated expressions...

It's funny you should say that, because while reading I imagined Cassia having a similar voice to Peridot.

Oh I went and got myself caught up, btw... and I agree... Cassia and Clove stole the show. Great stuff.
If the SFF do end up being villians, maybe it will... how can I put this?
Tie in the idea that "the old continuity is still prevalent in this reboot but not really"?
idk... I'm probably thinking on it too hard... I have no real qualms with this "Unleashed Arc" so far, but I want it to end.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:15 pm

So we're predicting Spike and co. are the new 'Supression Squad' then? Would that make Spike the new Scourge? Sonar the new Fiona? And Trevor the new... uh... no... he's just 'anti-Knuckles' I guess?

DudestofGuys wrote:
DoNotDelete wrote:Also, I'm really, really, really struggling with what Bunnie meant when she said it was 'selfish' of Cassia to alter her body with cybernetics (not knowing that Cassia has some kind of degenerative disease - presumably of the nervous system). Selfish how? Because it offends other Mobian's sensibilities for someone to willingly alter their body using technology? Because it makes other Mobians uncomfortable to be around cyborgs? Because they're changing the body afforded them by their parents?

Re-read the story.

Bunnie starts out asking if her cybernetics were worth joining Eggman, assuming they're for combat only. Cassia doesn't correct her assumption and calls it self-improvement. To Bunnie, this comes off as saying natural body parts are expendable, which upsets her for obvious reasons. After they fall, Bunnie tells her to just get a new leg from Eggman.

She's saying wanton cybernetic replacements are selfish not just because she's throwing away her natural limbs when they still work, but because she gets them in exchange for endangering the entire planet by helping Eggman. She calls it selfish because she's putting countless lives in danger. She calls it selfish because her boss is the same person whose actions crippled Bunnie in the first place.

There's definitely some personal spite in there since Bunnie didn't sign up for her cybernetics and she backed off once she realized that Cassia works for Eggman out of desperation and her body was frail or outright didn't work, but she doesn't call Cassia selfish because she has robo-eyes. She calls her selfish because she thought Cassia sold her body for power to a tyrant.

Got it. Thanks for that, I needed someone else's perspective to help me see where Bunnie was coming from there. I can see it more clearly now.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Supression Squad? I still don't think it'd be that analogous, but they would be closer to the Sandblasters than the Suppression Squad if they did turn out to be traitors.
Meliden
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius