Locke the Abusive Father

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Locke the Abusive Father

Postby jazzflower92 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 pm

As many long times fans of the comics remember from the old universe, that Locke, Knuckle's father, was known to do some really morally questionable behavior that a lot of people would describe as abuse. Most of his actions include: experimenting on his son when he was an egg, cutting him off from his mother, pretending he was killed in front of him and abandoned him in the wild, and even contemplated on killing him when he was turning into Enerjak. Even through all of this, Pender's just wrote off his actions and said that there are worse things than being abandoned. I think the reason why the narrative was nonchalant about this was because he was based on Pender's father and some people don't think certain types of behaviors are abusive. I think what should have happened is that the narrative should have been more critical of Locke and made it so that his actions should not have been so easily forgiven by Knuckles.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Re: Locke the Abusive Father

Postby Mobotropolis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:01 pm

Opinion: The Brotherhood was misguided, not abusive.

Locke was raised to believe that the End justified the Means. That meant pretty much destroying his marriage and family life to raise the Guardian he believed would save his people. Locke did not believe he was being malicious in denying Lara-Le or even Knuckles. He simply did what he thought needed to be done. Even so, he did not leave Knuckles to completely fend for himself or disconnect himself from Knuckles' life. He kept his distance so Knuckles could learn self-reliance. Even though Locke wasn't exactly a good father it was obvious that he actually cared about his son.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:04 pm

all those things can be true while still being abusive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby jazzflower92 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Yeah, some abusive parents do some messed up stuff to their kids due to misguided values and priorities. Believe it or not, some abusive parents are not always the slap their kids until their blue, but the more subtle stuff like putting their children through extreme practices, isolating them from others, or cutting them from their other parent. I think Locke cutting Knuckles from his mom was pretty messed up and a lot of abused children remember their abusive parents actually keeping them from their other parent. I am also going to say this sometimes some abusers actually care for their kids, but just because they love them doesn't mean what they have done to them isn't abusive.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby 009* » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:17 pm

I think a big part of Locke's problems are that he was just following protocol for his family without questioning if things had to change because he and his son weren't going through the same events as his dad and ancestors. While he showed that he was a loving father, he also alienated his family because he felt he had to force so much onto Knuckles because of the vision he saw of an adult Knuckles fighting a then unknown foe.

Although this also shows just how much the Guardians placed themselves above their own society. Think back to when the Dingoes used stolen nukes to attack the echidnas- why did the Guardians think they needed nukes back then, and why were they in launch-ready condition?
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Scruffy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:49 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:As many long times fans of the comics remember from the old universe, that Locke, Knuckle's father, was known to do some really morally questionable behavior that a lot of people would describe as abuse. Most of his actions include: experimenting on his son when he was an egg, cutting him off from his mother, pretending he was killed in front of him and abandoned him in the wild, and even contemplated on killing him when he was turning into Enerjak.

That last one was written by Ian, not Ken Penders.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby jazzflower92 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:19 am

Scruffy wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:As many long times fans of the comics remember from the old universe, that Locke, Knuckle's father, was known to do some really morally questionable behavior that a lot of people would describe as abuse. Most of his actions include: experimenting on his son when he was an egg, cutting him off from his mother, pretending he was killed in front of him and abandoned him in the wild, and even contemplated on killing him when he was turning into Enerjak.

Yeah, but least the last action was called out by people.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:09 am

What did people expect Locke to do in that situation?

Enerjak had already killed someone and maimed a large portion of their remaining people.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:36 am

Locke was not a good father. Many arguments can be made whether he was abusive or not, but I personally do not think he was a good father. But I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad character. chearacter weaknesses are much more interesting than their strengths. I think Locke was an interesting man, not entirely a good one, and not a bad one either. He had many facets, which was ultimately his greatest weakness.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:49 pm

Scruffy wrote:

Yeah but it's not really out of character. Remember Locke is part of the same group that under Penders writing tried to murder someone just because they stole Knuckles yo-yo.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby jazzflower92 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Vampfox wrote:
Scruffy wrote:

Yeah but it's not really out of character. Remember this is the same group that under Penders writing tried to murder someone just because they stole Knuckles yo-yo.

It was a Mobian gorilla named Monk that used to bully Knuckles when he was younger. He only starred in one story where he came back for revenge against Knuckles.

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Monk
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby DudestofGuys » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Remember kids: larceny is serious business.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:54 pm

First that "Knuckles/Julie-Su kissing cousins", now Locke, who's next? Lara-Su? Lien-Da?
Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I think someone's here on anti Penders crusade (or just Echidna).

But to stay on topic, I never felt that Locke was a evil father. If anything he was incompetent, but all he did for Knuckles good. Sure he abandoned him, but it's not like he was raised any different. And he watched over Knuckles all the time.
And then Bollers wrote "Return to Angel Island" where Knuckles got into a fight with him. Flynn followed on this and we had Locke threatening to not protect Lara-Le and willing to kill Knuckles. That is completely against Locke's characterization.

Honestly that might be the only time I'm really sympathizing with Penders' view. Locke was his favorite character and a center of whole lore he build through years. And what future writers did? Made white echidna who said "Bah, all of this was stupid", change Locke into an butt and kill him with 90% percentage of echidnas. You can smell ashes from Penders work purged with fire.

And yeah, in most cases I understand why Flynn did what he did. But on his place I wouldn't push Locke that far.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby 009* » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:03 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:
Vampfox wrote:
Scruffy wrote:

Yeah but it's not really out of character. Remember this is the same group that under Penders writing tried to murder someone just because they stole Knuckles yo-yo.

It was a Mobian gorilla named Monk that used to bully Knuckles when he was younger. He only starred in one story where he came back for revenge against Knuckles.

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Monk

While how Locke and the rest dealt with Monk was overkill, the reasoning is solid: Knuckles was supposed to protect his people against some horrible threat, and if that, and by extension the fate of thousands if not millions of innocents are being jeopardized by some dumb punk, well, needs of the many and all that.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a better way of dealing with some dumb punk that doesn't involve tossing him off an island.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius