Non-canon supplementary material

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Non-canon supplementary material

Postby Xabin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:51 pm

So, my boyfriend has two of the Teitelbaum Sonic books (Sonic & Knuckles and the Sonic activity book), and I managed to get a hold of the "How to Draw Sonic and Friends" book by the same author/artist from a fellow Sonic fan, and I've got to wonder: why aren't these considered canon to the comics or SatAM? Why is AoSTH Robotnik in them instead of SatAM/Comic Robotnik?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Re: Non-canon supplementary material

Postby TurboTailz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Xabin wrote:So, my boyfriend has two of the Teitelbaum Sonic books (Sonic & Knuckles and the Sonic activity book), and I managed to get a hold of the "How to Draw Sonic and Friends" book by the same author/artist from a fellow Sonic fan, and I've got to wonder: why aren't these considered canon to the comics or SatAM? Why is AoSTH Robotnik in them instead of SatAM/Comic Robotnik?

Same franchise. It's just spin off series just like Sonic Boom, X , OVA and etc.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:07 pm

SEGA officially considered the AoSTH design the Western Robotnik design for a period of time, which is why licensed stuff mostly uses that design instead of the SatAM one.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Xabin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:27 pm

The KKM wrote:SEGA officially considered the AoSTH design the Western Robotnik design for a period of time, which is why licensed stuff mostly uses that design instead of the SatAM one.

Huh, that's interesting. And given the rumors that SatAM was meant to be a prequel to AoSTH, that makes sense, actually.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby linebyline » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:41 pm

The books are also non-canon because they have so many differences from SatAM that they can't share a continuity. They're a little closer (especially in tone) than the more AoSTH-inspired early days of Archie, but still just as much of an alternate continuity.

Now, initially, I think they were supposed to be considered prequel material to SatAM: The back-cover summary of Sonic the Hedgehog says that inside you'll learn how Sonic met Sally, and how he got his shoes, and how Robotnik came to power. Robotnik's Revenge gives the origin of Bunnie Rabbot, originally called Bunnie Rabbit until Robotnik captured her and Sonic busted her out of the roboticizer (then called the "Ro-Bo Machine") halfway through the procedure.

Much like Archie Sonic, this continuity bears marks of having been based on prototype SatAM concepts. For instance, Sally has her black-haired design from the pilot (though the text describes her as brown-haired, and the pictures are black and white so it could be a simplification). Buzzbombers, only seen in SatAM in the pilot, feature prominently in Fortress of Fear and also appear in Sonic the Hedgehog. Furthermore, the roboticized are depicted as looking basically normal but with hypno-swirls in their eyes; I don't know if that's a prototype SatAM thing or not. Nicole in Fortress of Fear looks like nothing I've ever seen.

Incidentally, in the initial Sonic the Hedgehog, Robotnik has his SatAM look, but in Fortress of Fear, he has the Adventures look. In Robotnik's Revenge, he's SatAM on the cover and AoSTH in the interior art. Nicole in Fortress of Fear looks like either a walkie-talkie or a misshapen pile of buttons and dials; I'm not sure which is supposed to be her and which is Rotor's scrambling device. (Either way, she's nothing like the SatAM model or even the vaguely typewriter-shaped version from the pilot.)

The backstory given in the first book--Sonic growing up with Robotnik, Robotnik's coup happening in the present day, and Sonic only meeting Sally and the other Freedom Fighters after the coup--doesn't mesh at all with the backstory we see in SatAM season 2.

Even the present-day plot elements don't match up. Uncle Chuck is rescued and restored in the very first book, and as far as I know, he stays that way. (He's in Knothole in Robotnik's Revenge, at least.) The king's list is an important element, but they don't get it from the king. Instead, in Fortress of Fear, they sneak into Robotnik's fortress (which is still basically the king's palace) and find it hidden there.

So in light of all that, I don't think we can even call the Tietelbaum series supplemental, even if it was originally supposed to be. Ultimately it's just another separate Sonic continuity. I still like it, though, even if it is extremely kid-oriented.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Return to This Side of Mobius