Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Duck Army » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog has been renowned for it's music. What songs do you think are best and worst?
For Me:
Best Game Song: Green Hill Zone (Only listened to about 5 or 6 game songs, but this is a classic)
Best Overall Song: The Sonic Boom Theme Song (French version): (EPIC!)
Technically, Mina's songs are my favorites, i imagine her makin' TONS of classic rock cover songs for some reason :D
Worst Game Song: Sonic CD Boss Theme (Barely has a melody), or Can You Feel The Sunshine (Simply awful)
Worst Overall Song: Lady Liberty from Sonic Underground (Seriously?)
What would you say?
Duck Army
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Mordum » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:08 pm

His World is my jam, son. Zebrahead's always great, though.

I find the Sonic R soundtrack delightful.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Which Sonic CD boss theme?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Duck Army » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:33 pm

The American one.
Duck Army
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Ok wait, are we talking about songs or tunes? Because Green Hill Zone is not a song. A song requires singing.

My favorite song is Dreams Of An Absolution (LB vs JS Remix). Usually Sonic songs are cool in the context they're in but don't really stand on their own, but that's one of the few that do. Worst would have to be We Can. I mean god. It sounds like the intro to a Nick Jr. cartoon. I can't stand Ted Poley in anything except City Escape.

As a side note I think Chosen One is the single most underrated song in the series.
Last edited by BlazeHeatnix on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Duck Army » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:20 pm

We're talkin' 'bout songs, yo!
Duck Army
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby FritzyBeat » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:27 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Ok wait, are we talking about songs or tunes? Because Green Hill Zone is not a song. A song requires singing.

What? No it doesn't XD
User avatar
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Up in the cold cloudy night sky~

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:33 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:As a side note I think Chosen One is the single most underrated song in the series.

Agreed.

There's also two lost songs from Shadow the Hedgehog that need more exposure. They were pulled due to rights issues, which is the reason why "Almost Dead" plays during both the Pure Dark and Semi Dark endings of the game.
User avatar
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:38 pm

The Shadow Imperator wrote:
BlazeHeatnix wrote:As a side note I think Chosen One is the single most underrated song in the series.

Agreed.

There's also two lost songs from Shadow the Hedgehog that need more exposure. They were pulled due to rights issues, which is the reason why "Almost Dead" plays during both the Pure Dark and Semi Dark endings of the game.


Actually Almost Dead was always intended to play over both. Broken was the Neutral-Hero ending theme. Who I Am was the main theme or possibly final boss theme.

Broken was actually made by many of the same guys that made Chosen One. They made the latter after they couldn't get in contact with the singer of the former.
User avatar
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Azul » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Mordum wrote:His World is my jam, son. Zebrahead's always great, though.

This.

I always believed Sonic's had an amazing sound track. Crush 40 has made some of the best songs for the series. My all time favorite has to be their version of With Me. So without further ado, here's my list of the best true blue beats, in no particular order:

It Doesn't Matter - Crush 40, mainly the first version since it sounds so freaking passionate. That guitar solo towards the end alone could make a grown man cry. Sonic usually gets the best themes.

Open Your Heart - Crush 40

This Machine, theme of Team Dark - Julian K.

Team Chaotix. Say what you want, its catchy as heck.

I want to say Live and Learn but its already a national treasure even to non Sonic fans.

What I'm Made Of - Crush 40

His World - All versions although this time, the Crush 40 version is my least favorite.

Chosen One - Mona Lisa Overdrive, is a nice little jingle

Dreams of An Absolution Remix

All Hail Shadow, Original version

Ungravitify

Free - Both versions

His World is mah jam in case you missed that. The original has a special place in my heart.

It Has Come To This from Sonic & The Secret Rings

"Seven Rings in Hand" is life.

Knight of The Wind

Endless Possibilities - Bowling for Soup

Jeh Jeh Rocket

Wrapped In Black

Live Life is just gorgeous, especially for a Crush 40 song.

New Venture has this sick remix

Although not technically a Sonic song, a song by Magna Fi called Who I Am was slatted to be in ShtH but wasn't due to contracual issues. Its basically the angsty teenage national anthem but by George, its pretty good. Watch out for the edge though, I heard it hurts. There's also another unreleased song by Mona Lisa Over Drive called Broken which is pretty good. Just noticed both songs were already mentioned but I like what I wrote so I'll leave it.

Now for the level music and boss jingles:

Green Hill Act 2 - Sonic Generations

That's The Way I Like It - Jun Senoue is just godly.

The music played before the last Sonic vs Shadow fight is some of the most suspenseful music I've ever heard.

For True Story, even if the name is stupid as heck.

Hot Crator from Sonic Advance 2

Route 99

Vengeance is Mine, Radical Highway theme

Egg Dragoon - Sonic Generations is one of my all time favorite boss jingles

Terminal Velocity is hands down one of the best zone songs period. Very fitting for the last zone.
User avatar
Azul
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm
Location: Somewhere, USA

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:22 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Actually Almost Dead was always intended to play over both. Broken was the Neutral-Hero ending theme. Who I Am was the main theme or possibly final boss theme.

Broken was actually made by many of the same guys that made Chosen One. They made the latter after they couldn't get in contact with the singer of the former.

Huh, did not know that. Thanks for the correction. :)
User avatar
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:31 pm

As a side note, Crush 40 had an album a while back called Super Sonic Songs, entirely made up of their Sonic stuff. However one track was thrown in that's not Sonic-related at all, called Is It You. And it's great. Honestly, it's one of my favorite Crush 40 tracks.

Technically it was never used in any Sonic media...but it IS on a Sonic album, so... Sonic song? I'd like to think so. The only love song the series has ever had is "My Destiny" and that had lyrics about how much Elise loves Sonic, so it's kinda...eugh.
User avatar
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Vampfox » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:40 pm

User avatar
Vampfox
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:02 am

I like the majority of songs (and tunes) from the games, I feel like music is the one thing Sonic consistently does really well. But it's hard for me to claim any one song as "best" because they cover various genres and I like them all for different reasons. I like "Throw It All Away"'s pounding industrial feel just as much as I like "Lazy Days (Livin in Paradise)"'s wacky southern rock. one is "cool" and the other is laidback/fun and they both appeal to me as accurate reflections of the characters they represent and just as music in general

incidentally, my forum name is one of Shadow's tracks in SA2, it's probably my least favorite of the Shadow tracks but I think the title is hilarious as a nickname for Shadow

anyway, I don't think I have a "worst." I guess I could go on a tangent about how the NA Sonic CD soundtrack as a whole just feels pointless because it wasn't specifically designed with the feel of the game in mind the way the JP one is, and I don't understand why Sonic Boom is more popular than You Can Do Anything because like, Sonic Boom is catchy but it's just kind of a generic new wave song, whereas You Can Do Anything is really energetic and I feel like it captures the spirit of what Sonic Team's original characterization for Sonic was meant to be better than any other piece of Sonic media... like, to me it feels sorta distinctly japanese when most Sonic media was floundering to appeal to americans and as such it really stands out... but like I said, that's just to me. but it's not even that I dislike anything in particular about the NA soundtrack, it's just that its existence is entirely superfluous when the game already had a perfectly fitting soundtrack
User avatar
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: North Charleston, SC

Re: Best and Worst Sonic songs.

Postby Mordum » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:38 am

Azul wrote:Endless Possibilities - Bowling for Soup


It's really amazing it took as long as it did for Bowling for Soup to do a Sonic song.
User avatar
Mordum
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron