Picking up Sticks

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Picking up Sticks

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:17 pm

I wouldn't mind Sticks showing up as a supporting or side character, but we in no way need another Freedom Fighter. The team can be split right down the middle and they'd still be pretty crowded.

I'm in the mindset that " less is more " when it comes to characters. We don't need to see all the characters in every arch. We don't need characters to show up and stare just to say that they've technically showed up. I'd rather have a character appear every 2-3 years in a really good story than flail their arms in the background screaming " I'm contributing! ".

When it comes to Sticks if (and that's a big if) she crosses over I actually wouldn't want her on a Team per-se. I think she works better when she's able to act independently. Maybe the recurring theme being that she's constantly on the run looking or a safe place to hide from all of the conspiracies that she thinks are happening. Sometimes she's right about something happening and delivers helpful exposition. Sometimes the characters don't understand what she's trying to say.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:26 pm

I honestly can't stand Sticks. The fact that I have anxiety and struggle with nervousness and paranoia means everytime she's on screen feels like a joke at the expense of me and other people like me.

I'm sure you all will say I'm being overly sensitive, but that's the truth. :/
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby The KKM » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:45 pm

You also have the very easy solution, in terms of fitting Sticks in a more serious story, of simply having some of her conspiracies actually be true. Stop making her just "ha-ha mad badger" and make her Robert Redfield once in a while.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby TurboTailz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:30 pm

I hope Sticks joins the main continuity, but they might have to alter her character a bit. Her natural talents are pretty decent and so she can be independent.
I'm cool with her being either with Silver or the Freedom Fighter.
Spoiler: show
However the Freedom Fighter core is quite crowded that a few characters still needs to be leveled out *developed* before a new crew joins. If Sticks were to join FF and knowing her character she'll probably be more outdoor type than staying on the Sky Patrol wrecking stuff. She'll contact them if something comes up important...otherwise she'll do her own thing.

That's probably the best route for her slowly to be developed into the FF crew if she was implemented.

Off Topic:
However since this new land for the comic haven't really been explored yet. There could be more factions like the
Secret Freedom Fighters Squad for an example run by King Acorn. They can rival the Freedom Fighters in skills, technology and power.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Matt7325 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:07 am

If Sticks is going to show up in the main comic I don't think she has to be part of the Freedom Fighters - personally I think a great spot for her would be

as party of Mighty's team.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby DabigRG » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 am

Sticks to me is a perfect representation of what's good and bad about Boom as a whole. I was initially skeptical about her involvement in the subfranchise but I warmed up when it eventually came out.

I like Sticks because she represents the potential that the setting could bring to the Sonic franchise and fills several niches in the process: a feral character in a world of anthromorphic animals, an unusual fighter( a boomerang wielder who sometimes uses it as a melee weapon, improvises nearby objects into weapons), a nubile savage in a world of anthros, a homo-gendered friend for Amy, a variation of Knuckles(wild child, trust issues, minimalistic home;gamewise, anyway), a contrast to Tails(sidekick vs kinda best friend, nature and hoaxes vs technology and logic) and Eggman(technophobia vs technophilia), and a foil to Sonic(impulsiveness to borderline paranoia).

The bad thing about that is the implementation and utilization of these traits has been very shaky due to very different handling and little correlation. The games play with certain aspects the original concept almost exclusively and yet not enough because in RoL she's a flat out cavewoman/girl whose screentime barely gives her enough of a relationship with Amy, and SC (what little I've seen) somewhat plays with all aspects of character, which might be for the best. The show seems the flipflop on whether she's overly paranoid and kooky, makes her flat out obnoxious and meanspirited, or slightly dabbles in the more wild and mystical aspects once every blue moon. The comic more or less makes her a composite character of Marine and Bean for arguably the best comedic effect, but also keeps her as more of a side character though not nearly to the extent of RoS.

I see Sticks for the potential she has and would very much like to see her breakout from Boom into other continuities. In the context of the games,
I personally would like to see her added to Knuckles' very miniscule supporting cast, perhaps as a occasional visiter who provides a wilder opinion to Knuckles hesitance to leave the Master Emerald alone and interact with the outside world. It always did bother me that Sonic Advance 3 didn't bother giving Knuckles someone he can call a partner. But Sticks could give him someone he could relate to when it comes to growing up on your own, something I was disappointed that Boom didn't capitalize on.

As for the comics,
she could be an on-again off-again associate of the freedom fighters who, much like Sonic, never likes to stay in one place due to fears of technology and other conspiracy related dangers.

Mavrickindigo wrote:The show is where she is at her absolute worst, though. Not only did they write a whole episode dedicated to her screaming really loudly for most of the run time, she does absolutely NOTHING to show why she's friends with Sonic and company. If anything, she proves how much of a total amoral jerk she is and how much she doesn't care about anyone but herself. Why is she hanging out with everyone when she breaks all of their things with no remorse or actively hinders their fight against Eggman?

That, of course, is during the parts of the series I watched. I pretty much stopped watching boom BECAUSE of her. Her and the "lolrandum" humor they threw in that people seem to enjoy for absolutely no reason.

If Sticks is was a little intorable for you early on (can't say I blame you that much), I think episodes like Into the wilderness, Closed door policy,Mayor Knuckles, and Curse of the cross-eyed moose(YMMV) use her better. I will say that jerk humor can and has worked, it has to be used just right so as not to come off as overly callous and mean spirited. I personally enjoyed some of she and Eggman's jerk moments but only if there's a proper contrast or set up.
Last edited by DabigRG on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:27 am

the "lolrandum" humor they threw in that people seem to enjoy for absolutely no reason.

Ok can I go off on a Tangent here? Every Cartoon that has ever existed has had "lolrandom" humor.

See The Majority of Courage The Cowardly Dog as an example. Ed, Edd & Eddy was more or less "Stream of Consciousness" the series. Why is it only Modern Cartoon that get crapped on for this?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Kellox » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:51 pm

I like Sticks alright. Sometimes she can be quite annoying and I find her unbearable in the DS Boom game asside from that I agree that it feels like Sega is sort of forcing the character. I think she might be a bit more useful for the freedom fighters then Cream because she seems more like a aggressive fighter.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tonberry2k » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:41 pm

I'd assume the Chimp and Beaver would migrate with her to even her out.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:00 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
the "lolrandum" humor they threw in that people seem to enjoy for absolutely no reason.

Ok can I go off on a Tangent here? Every Cartoon that has ever existed has had "lolrandom" humor.

See The Majority of Courage The Cowardly Dog as an example. Ed, Edd & Eddy was more or less "Stream of Consciousness" the series. Why is it only Modern Cartoon that get crapped on for this?

The difference is the examples you mentioned use physical humor and clever sound effects, not unfunny writing. And they also know how to do comedic timing and pacing rather than be in your face all the time.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Azul » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Tonberry2k wrote:I'd assume the Chimp and Beaver would migrate with her to even her out.

To even what out? Whats so imbalanced about Sticks in the first place and how can two other characters simply being there even it out?
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Chameleon Guy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Count me in for those who love Sticks, I agree that her character depends on the writer, personally I think Ian writes her best, but I still enjoy her in the cartoon. She is a lot more balanced than other characters who are just annoying, like Marine or Charmy, she has other cool traits, like being paranoid and cynic, sometimes adorable, wild and an expert survivalist.

She's also a good fighter but honestly I'd rather not have her in the FFs, it would be cooler if
She lived in the Mystic Ruins and sometimes showed up.

SEGA would only be smart to add her in the main series - I hope she is in the next game - I mean, she is in a cartoon that is pretty popular and is airing in a lot of countries, so why shouldn't they use her more? She is very recognisable to the general audience. Plus she actually fits in the cast, unlike... any other Boom exclusive character.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Matt7325 wrote:If Sticks is going to show up in the main comic I don't think she has to be part of the Freedom Fighters - personally I think a great spot for her would be

as party of Mighty's team.

oooh, that would be good

my impression of how Sega works (and this is just an impression, not based on fact, so I could be mistaken) is that Sega of Japan can basically overrule anything Sega of America or Europe do. Sonic Boom is a creation of SoA, and as such SoJ doesn't have to be interested in it outside of localizing it for Japanese audiences. but, it seems like SoJ has taken a liking to Sticks. back before Unleashed, SoJ seemed to love introducing at least one new character almost every game, but they haven't been able to do that in years. SoA providing Sticks seems to have given SoJ back some of their enthusiasm, based on how they've included her in the Sonic Channel website and in the latest Mario & Sonic Olympic game. if Sonic Boom ends up no longer putting out new material eventually (which I see as inevitable), I think it is extremely likely that SoJ will scoop up Sticks for the main series, and at that point it wouldnt be unexpected for Ian to bring her into the prime series comics.

tldr: I think Sticks will definitely join the main universe one day, and I hope Ian has fun when that day comes :)
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:...back before Unleashed, SoJ seemed to love introducing at least one new character almost every game, but they haven't been able to do that in years.

Not counting Generations, they've introduced at least 6 new characters per game since Colors.
SoA providing Sticks seems to have given SoJ back some of their enthusiasm, based on how they've included her in the Sonic Channel website and in the latest Mario & Sonic Olympic game. if Sonic Boom ends up no longer putting out new material eventually (which I see as inevitable), I think it is extremely likely that SoJ will scoop up Sticks for the main series, and at that point it wouldnt be unexpected for Ian to bring her into the prime series comics.

tldr: I think Sticks will definitely join the main universe one day, and I hope Ian has fun when that day comes :)

Not to be a glass half empty kind of guy but Sticks' publicity could be a ploy to gain more publicity for Sonic Boom. After all, she is the only main character, protagonist or otherwise, from Sonic Boom who is completely native to that continuity.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:28 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:

Because modern cartoons are lazy and use it as their primary source of humor. I'm sure it can be traced back to Gir, but at least Gir had a purpose in the narrative of the story as a whole. What purpose does Sticks have to be an absolute jerk to all of her friends, except to get the audience to hate her?

EDIT: I am not sure where you get the "lolrandum" from Courage the Cowardly Dog. Might you wish to provide examples? Courage was a Horror Comedy, so weird things should happen in that scenario. It would not be natural for either that or E, E, n E, to have a scene where a judge, who is actually in cahoots with a villain of the episode, suddenly declare "time for a dance party!"

A Sean Connery-sounding Snowman acting like a Bond Villain makes sense, because Connery played Bond. The episodes where the Eds break reality was a one-time thing, and even when things go horribly wrong in Regular show there is LOGIC behind it. I mean even in the pilot Skips and Benson warns M and R that Rock Paper Scissors was an evil game, so when a black hole opens after they make 100 ties, that is not out of nowhere.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius