Sega CEO Hajime Satomi Feels He Betrayed Us

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sega CEO Hajime Satomi Feels He Betrayed Us

Postby syn017 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:26 am

A few weeks ago, Sega CEO and President Hajime Satomi did an interview with Famitsu, saying the following:

“We did our best to build a relationship of mutual trust with older fans of Sega, but looking back, there’ve been some titles that have partially betrayed that [trust] in the past 10 years.” and “Sega in the ‘90s was known for its ‘brand, but after that, we’ve lost trust, and we were left with nothing but ‘reputation. For this reason, we’d like to win back the customers’ trust, and become a ‘brand,’ once again.”

I respect Hajime Satomi for going on the record and admitting this, but is it too late? What do you think?

Full Interview translated: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07/se ... m-players/
Last edited by syn017 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
syn017
BumbleNewbie

Re: Sega CEO Hajime Satomi Feels He Betrayed Us

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:59 am

Honestly? I don't feel anything to about this line?
"We realized that our last games sucked again."
Well, good for you, everyone knew about it for months now. Maybe if they DIDN'T work on Fire and Ice, I would be slightly more optimistic.
Last edited by MetalSkulkBane on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Kellox » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:42 am

While some might deem it to late I think what he said was still brave despite I know the Marketing Team must have pressured him to shut up and smile. The first step is admitting you did something wrong after all.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby The Swordsman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:04 pm

For what its worth I forgive him, though I still don't like the new storyline direction under Ken Pontac and that other guy's pen and still hope the Adventure style stories will make a return, as the game play doesn't really concern me.( My opinion on it is about the same as Roger from Sonic Dissected) To be honest I'm more mad at Izuka at the moment than at Hajime.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:47 pm

The Swordsman wrote:hope the Adventure style stories will make a return, as the game play doesn't really concern me.

In a video game, gameplay should always be the most important thing.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Or at the very least, a high priority.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Spinehog » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:04 pm

It's cool that Satomi acknowledges fan displeasure, but his comments don't really change anything.

His words could really just be dumped in with all the other "we get that our fans don't like what we've been doing... but don't worry our next game will be killer!" copy-and-paste promises we've been getting from game companies as of late.

*is still bitter about Metroid Federation Force*
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:35 am

squeakyboots13 wrote:
The Swordsman wrote:hope the Adventure style stories will make a return, as the game play doesn't really concern me.

In a video game, gameplay should always be the most important thing.

I completely agree with this, BUT, I personally completely go against that.

For me, and I assume a number of other people too, gameplay has never really been the most important part of any game I play. I am faaaar more interested in story and presentation. I find that if the storytelling in a game is good (or I at least find it engaging) I can very easily push my way through what could otherwise be seen as a "bad game" gameplay wise. It's pretty much the one reason I can say I enjoyed games like "Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night" (which was clearly broken) or games where the gameplay just didn't appeal to me like "Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity".

When the story is good, I get wrapped up in it, and I cease to really concern myself with the gameplay, I just dedicate myself to learning and beating the game in order to see the rest of the story. Gameplay isn't even second place for me either, the art style and design of a game also tends to interest me a little more than the gameplay does.

Maybe this is just me being weird (especially considering I'm not really much of a gamer myself anymore) but because of that, I can see something like story becoming a more important thing to a player than the actual gameplay in some cases. I wouldn't say that excuses a studio from not putting gameplay first, because by golly they should, but for me as a consumer I am always much more interested in hearing a good story than I am in hearing about a good game with no story, or a bad one.

(I heard from someone that this was in many ways the case for the "Legacy of Kain" games, and that it was generally the story/storytelling that brought about the games' fanbase as opposed to the gameplay itself, though I'm just quoting).
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:35 am

I'm kinda on the same page as Fritzy, but kinda not. For example I replayed Sonic Battles 2, if not 3 times, because I love the story. Still, I see how repetitive gameplay is.
Ad the same note I replay Mario games, because they are fun to play, not for the epic story of kidnapping princess for n-th time.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:56 am

Sonic's gameplay isn't consistently compelling enough for it to be the selling point. It'd be nice, but nah.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:09 am

Funny we should discuss Gameplay vs story. I wouldn't be playing Sonic Runners nearly as much as I do if it weren't for the fact that there's a lot of worldbuilding going on in the really simplistic story it presents.
That being said, Gameplay is the most important feature of a video game. If a game is terrible, sometimes the story cannot be good enough to force someone to play it.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The Swordsman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Thank you FritzyBeat for explaining my viewpoint better than I could, as Mordum posted Sonic's gameplay isn't always the best however I found it fun and until the colors era I got some nice plot and character development which despite having better gameplay is something the Mario games lack. Which is why IMO Sonic beats Mario most of the time, I care more about Sonic and his world more than the constant kidnapping of Princess Peach.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:21 pm

One that note, I recently played game called "Prototype". It has nice gameplay and stuff, but I wouldn't it hilarious how much I didn't care for a story. Suddenly Lost World felt like Shakespeare script, directed by Whedon.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby syn017 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:29 pm

Me, personally, I want to believe what Hajime Satome said, I really do. But, the last 10 years for Sega... have left me trusting them Less and less each year, and only putting out a good game once every blue moon and not just Sega releasing Sonic games either. Its been.... more then what, 15 years since the Sega seal of quality was last seen? Maybe more. If they were actually inspired by Atlus, like he said they were, and are gonna focus on quality now, awesome, but I'm gonna wait and see what happens.
syn017
BumbleNewbie

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:50 pm

There's a simple way to make the gameplay really good in Sonic Games. Slow It Down A Tad.

I'm not saying like "Make Sonic slow" that'd be stupid but make him run slower than Unleashed-Generations. I have a hard time controlling Sonic in most of the game like I'm always running into crap.

It's possible to have a character be fast but crashing into everything.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius