More Seldom Seen Species In The Post-Reboot World

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

More Seldom Seen Species In The Post-Reboot World

Postby jazzflower92 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:46 am

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... eenSpecies

I notice in the post-reboot world, there are more rarely seen animal species depicted. In the pre-reboot world, they had a habit of overusing a certain species of animal like Lynxes, Hedgehogs, Rabbits, Cats, and most notoriously Echnidas. In the reboot, we have pika, betta fish, pistol shrimp, water buffalo, pronghorn deer, chinchilla, sloth, and coming soon a tenrec character. The comic book these days are making it so that new characters that are comic book exclusive are more diverse in species.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Re: More Seldom Seen Species In The Post-Reboot World

Postby Sunwalker » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:40 am

Do not forget the pikas :D

Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby The Jazzyman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

Ian Flynn has stated himself in a Q&A that he wanted to "get off the beating path" in terms of character species.

I actually had to google what a Pika was when I first saw Relic!
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby jazzflower92 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:53 pm

The Jazzyman wrote:Ian Flynn has stated himself in a Q&A that he wanted to "get off the beating path" in terms of character species.

Good for him because we needed more diverse species. Not to mention the fact that he made a friendly shark character which is pretty rare. Its another thing that makes me like the reboot even more.

You know what I am wondering if he made Moss the Sloth because its a reference to the Sonic Sez where Sonic and Tails learn the value of being slow and steady from some sloths.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:29 pm

The Jazzyman wrote:Ian Flynn has stated himself in a Q&A that he wanted to "get off the beating path" in terms of character species.

You and me both, and Tenrec too. I recall that Q&A; Ian noted that he particularly tries to stay away from overused species like Hedgehogs, Foxes, Wolves, and I think Rabbits. And of course since the reboot he can't do squat about new Echidnas, not that we exactly needed more of them before anyway. I've had a list going for some time of animals that haven't yet showed up that I would find interesting additions (spoilered just in case merely mentioning a species makes it so Ian and co. can't use it.

Spoiler: show
Mice (since we've already seen rats)
Otters
Moles
Shrews
Voles
Badgers
(If you've noticed the Redwall pattern, good on you.)
Squid
Moths
Hippos
Hyenas (hopefully an improvement on the Nasty Hyenas from SatAM and the handful featured in Sonic the Comic)
Scorpions
Centipedes
Beetles (we've not had many insects)
Tuitaras
Panthers
Leopards
Swans
Cranes
Tigers
Snakes (besides Cobras)
Buffalo
Owls (especially since we don't have Harvey anymore)
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:06 am

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:
The Jazzyman wrote:I actually had to google what a Pika was when I first saw Relic!

You and me both.

Thirded. I had no idea what a pika was until Relic showed up.

I'd like to see some more reptiles personally - preferably some female reptile characters.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tsurugi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:31 am

I'd like to see some sea turtles in the world sometime, maybe in another aquatic city or maybe Adabat.
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:19 am

I'd seen the comic bring in deer I don't think deer had been used before that.

It would be nice to see the Archie try horses again, the old continuity had Sir Connery witch wasn't the best character design, Yeah horses and hard to work with because they had such long faces. But Archie is better with design now and post My Little Pony FiM it's easier to get away with cartoon horse faces.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 am

For deer, we had Friar Buck. Not exactly the most Sonic-ky design, and he's probably gone now, but he was there.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby FritzyBeat » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:23 pm

I'm still disappointed at the fact that the real world still hasn't come up with it's answer to the Nerb. Someone get in contact with the real world's writers as soon as possible, we need to make this happen. *shot*
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:16 am

ReifuTD wrote:It would be nice to see the Archie try horses again, the old continuity had Sir Connery witch wasn't the best character design, Yeah horses and hard to work with because they had such long faces. But Archie is better with design now and post My Little Pony FiM it's easier to get away with cartoon horse faces.

It's a well-worn point that Sonic doesn't really look like an actual hedgehog (my mother often said he looked more like a shark (don't get up, Razor)) and Knuckles looks even less like an actual echidna.

I'd argue that a character design that tries to be too faithful to the features of the animal they're portraying actually look out of place amongst the more stylised character designs in this comic - I include Sir Connery and some of the older character designs in that observation.

I think Relic gets it right, but I'm interested to see how Dulcy's design will be updated - it must have been a difficult consideration/balancing act between her original design and current Sonic design.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:28 am

DoNotDelete wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:It would be nice to see the Archie try horses again, the old continuity had Sir Connery witch wasn't the best character design, Yeah horses and hard to work with because they had such long faces. But Archie is better with design now and post My Little Pony FiM it's easier to get away with cartoon horse faces.

It's a well-worn point that Sonic doesn't really look like an actual hedgehog (my mother often said he looked more like a shark (don't get up, Razor)) and Knuckles looks even less like an actual echidna.

I'd argue that a character design that tries to be too faithful to the features of the animal they're portraying actually look out of place amongst the more stylised character designs in this comic - I include Sir Connery and some of the older character designs in that observation.

I think Relic gets it right, but I'm interested to see how Dulcy's design will be updated - it must have been a difficult consideration/balancing act between her original design and current Sonic design.

Plus it depends if Dulcy is going to be a straight up dragon or turned into a mobian hybrid like what happened to Muttski, I'm unsure if dragons showed up in the games if they did I would think their design would lean toward realistic. A hybrid would be more cartoony witch I think would probably work better with Dulcy. I hope Dulcy keeps her big booty though, like she should have something like Victor's upper half with wings and lower half as big as Big's.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:24 am

We've had a Dragon 'Mobini' in the actual world, the storybooks had realistic dragons as bosses. Also bosses like Ifrit may count.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 am

Lilac from the Freedom Planet game is a dragon. I know this isn't a Sonic game, but it was heavily inspired on it. I think that her design would fit very well among Sonic characters:
Spoiler: show
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Meliden » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:34 am

That's a horrid design for a dragon, at least if you want to convey giant lizard thing as per Dulcy and the other Sonic dragons. She looks like a cat with horns where her ears should be.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius