Change of tone in sonic comics?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Change of tone in sonic comics?

Postby The Jazzyman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:19 am

In a way, I feel that with Sonic Universe Ian Flynn has settled down with the new universe. The Spark of Life story arc was amazing and issue 75 was an amazing milestone issue. However, I somehow feel different about the main series.

The main series of Sonic comics since sometime around the Sonic the Fighters adaptation seems very different from before. The stories don't seem to take themselves in any way seriously and the art style has turned very cartooney. Has the tone of the main comic series changed to a more mainstream "child in a supermarket" audience? I think maybe (but hopefully temporary)

In my opinion, if the tone has been purposefully changed, I don't think it suits the series as much. (I'm nit bagging Ian or the artists. The art and writing is good, but I just don't think it fits.) It is sort of a shame too since Sonic Universe is in such a good state right now. Do you think that the series has undergone a tonal change?
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Re: Change of tone in sonic comics?

Postby The KKM » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:40 am

I certainly hope it has, as permanently as possible. The comic had forgotten it was allowed to be light for decades.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby akessel92 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:40 am

I think they change tones so the story doesn't seem all that depressing. Cause in my opinion from 230-247 was pretty dang depressing. Also, it wasn't long ago where the FFs lost the emerald to Eggman and nearly lost their lives and sonic turning into a werewolf. Not to mention starting this new continuity off with a planet wide disaster and in total chaos. And plus, in 273 that issue, even though it's crossover but it's pretty dang dark compared to the last few issues.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:58 am

Not really, no. The comic has always had a "sometimes light, sometimes dark", sometimes goofy, sometimes serious narrative structure, just like the games, SatAM, the OVA, Sonic X, most of the Sonic franchise overall. The Iron Dominion Arc was pretty heavy, so the mini-World Tour made things lighter. The Mecha Sally Arc was very serious, so our post-reboot stories have been a lot lighter. Universe post reboot has had darker content like Shadow Fall, while pre-reboot had light material like Treasure Team Tango.

The book didn't jump to "ooh shiny" like you see in Boom, and I doubt it will. That's not what the book calls for, that's not how Ian writes, and that's not what Sonic's about. It's about high speed adventures with plenty of laughs and plenty of high stakes. You're typical shonen fare really.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:15 am

One story arc doesn't mean tonal shift, The reason why Sonic the Fighters adapt got so cartoony was because I believe the artist for that arc started out in the Sonic book drawing the off panels at the comic, Off Panel sketches tend to use more cartoony art and expressions and that is the kind of artists you'd get (Why you see Dub doing a lot of them), And as thing goes someone will eventfully go from drawing Off Panel to the main book. So I's suspect we will get more cartoony art in the main book as time goes on.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:27 am

Hey remember when Universe had an arc where four teams were having wacky battles over a Sol Emerald and followed it up with Silver going to an alternate reality where Enerjaknuckles was a despot who sucked out peoples souls?

This comic is no stranger to Tonal Shift.

Also.

In my opinion, if the tone has been purposefully changed, I don't think it suits the series as much

Really? Are you seriously saying "Lighter Tone doesn't fit Sonic The Hedgehog". Why do people keep saying this? What about Sonic isn't Lighthearted?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:36 am

ReifuTD wrote:One story arc doesn't mean tonal shift, The reason why Sonic the Fighters adapt got so cartoony was because I believe the artist for that arc started out in the Sonic book drawing the off panels at the comic, Off Panel sketches tend to use more cartoony art and expressions and that is the kind of artists you'd get (Why you see Dub doing a lot of them), And as thing goes someone will eventfully go from drawing Off Panel to the main book. So I's suspect we will get more cartoony art in the main book as time goes on.

You say that as if it's a negative that should be removed from the artists, "oh they're just too stupid not to draw cartoony outside Off Panel" :V
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:41 am

Given how I know Diana from before the comic, I'm pretty sure she can do serious art very well. She just didn't then because the arc called for light-hearted zaniness.

As for Dubs being an off-paneller..did you see his art of Bunnie's limbs being absorbed while she could only watch? He can do it too.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:13 am

I think the Sonic comic can be sometimes 'funny' sometimes 'serious'. A lot of the recent stuff has erred on the side of being funny, but I think the 'shattered world' crisis is going to end up having some dark moments before it's over.

The same goes for the Mega Man comics too - I just don't think Ian has mastered the humour/seriousness of the Mega Man comics yet.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Actually I do agree that Reboot (starting with Worlds Collide) feels less serious than whole Flynn's run. I mean, he started with killing off bunch off characters, and then went through echinda (sorta) genocide, driving Eggman crazy, a bit sadness in Iron Dominium and of course the dark times of Mecha Sally.
Wordls Collide was of course "kids friendly", it was target in very wide publicity. But Reboot? In main series there isn't anything dark. World is broken, memories are mixed and Sonic was turned into monster, yet everything is lighthearted. First obvious reason for it i is need of breath after Mecha Sally, but also there is one other thing: lack of Archie exclusive characters.
Look at Sonic Universe, the most dark stuff are: Nicole/Ellidy stuff and Eclipse situation. We know that Flynn can't touch Sega cast, and that he must give Freedom Fighters a break, that means he's out of characters to play with.

So for those who look for darkest tones, I say give Archie another year or two. I too miss some more serious moments and Butlers drawings, but I will enjoy more cartoonish stuff, as long as they as high quality as Championship and Skelly artwork.

Also
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
In my opinion, if the tone has been purposefully changed, I don't think it suits the series as much

Really? Are you seriously saying "Lighter Tone doesn't fit Sonic The Hedgehog". Why do people keep saying this? What about Sonic isn't Lighthearted?

Saint words. I'm all for pushing boundaries how serious Sonic can go, but if we forget that's he's a talking blue hedgehog, we'll go back to 2005-2006 years of games.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Eh, not really. Sure, pre-reboot had a lot of death, genocide, homicide, and politics but that doesn't really seem to alien from Sonic. If anything, its to reflect the nature of the recent games which can start out pretty lighthearted but end up calamity like a machine that sucks away the energy of everything and everyone on the planet.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:46 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Also
SonicBlueRanger wrote:

Saint words. I'm all for pushing boundaries how serious Sonic can go, but if we forget that's he's a talking blue hedgehog, we'll go back to 2005-2006 years of games.

Like most things I blame it on people's determination to make every aspect of Sonic as "Serious" as SatAM.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 pm

Azul wrote:Eh, not really. Sure, pre-reboot had a lot of death, genocide, homicide, and politics but that doesn't really seem to alien from Sonic. If anything, its to reflect the nature of the recent games which can start out pretty lighthearted but end up calamity like a machine that sucks away the energy of everything and everyone on the planet.

Ow come on, that was dark for a Mario game, Sonic can go into a bit darker/maturer territories.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Like most things I blame it on people's determination to make every aspect of Sonic as "Serious" as SatAM.

BWAHAHAHA :(hearty laughter):
I'm sorry, I always giggle when I hear about "darkness of Satam". Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but people talk about it as it was Young Justice cartoon and Antoine with Dulcy never existed. :P
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:56 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:Like most things I blame it on people's determination to make every aspect of Sonic as "Serious" as SatAM.

I'm sorry, I always giggle when I hear about "darkness of Satam". Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments, but people talk about it as it was Young Justice cartoon and Antoine with Dulcy never existed. :P

Dude look at my Twitter. I am anything but a SatAM fan.

Honestly Season 1 isn't horrible but neither season is "Dark" in the least bit. It's seriously just a generic 90's cartoon that people most likely have vague memories of.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:

Dude look at my Twitter. I am anything but a SatAM fan.

Honestly Season 1 isn't horrible but neither season is "Dark" in the least bit. It's seriously just a generic 90's cartoon that people most likely have vague memories of.

Hey, hey hey, I didn't meant to disrespect Satam (...ok, I don't like it that much, but that's beside the point!). What I meant is that it was never that dark as people claim it to be. There is a Satam Season 3 webcomics which is pretty faithful, but treats itself waaay more serious than Satam ever did.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius