Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Postby Meliden » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:29 am

No really, Capcom are making an enhanced collection of the first six Mega Man games.

Announcement video Here.

Includes crisper graphics, leaderboards, challenges, a database of info (which includes a way to practice against bosses) and a museum with stuff like concept art and other visual material.

It's coming out digitally on PS4, Xbox One and PC soon, with a digital 3DS version coming in the Winter. Cost is $14.99.

Digital Eclipse are also streaming it during E3, and it'll be playable at San Diego Comic Con.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Re: Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:27 am

Can't Capcom milk their customers in another way such as making a new Mega Man game or something similar to Mighty no.9?
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:41 am

Seems interesting. I think I'll buy it. I haven't played any of the classic series games, so with a collection like this, I can save time from buying them one by one on eshop. Plus it has concept art? I like that kinda stuff. Although, I wish they would release that Powered Up game on the 3ds. That chibi artstyle is so freaking cute!
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:26 pm

I look at this and I see this happening

Capcom: Look at us slap these games together. You love mega Man, buy it!
Fans: No thanks, I already own these games five times over, so I won't spend my money on them again
Capcom: Look at the charts. The fans don't want Mega Man because they didn't buy our collection.

I"m pretty sure that podcast Ian was on confirmed that. Fans don't want to buy figures or re-releases, but the sales of such things are what Capcom looks at to determine if the series is viable.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:27 pm

:( I would have only bought this if they redid the characters in cartoon animations style like With Ducktales Remasteredand Shantae Half Genie Hero. Capcom just let Wayforward remaster the Mega Man games!

What makes the Legacy Collection trailer irritating to me that they showed cartoon versions of Mega Man enemies just not as part of the game play. It's like saying we could make a game that looks like this with these models but we are just going to give you the same 8 bit style as always. Models of these things already exist drawn by Keiji Inafune and other people who worked on the classic games that I will would love to see used to make a updated remastered version of the classic Mega Man games. I would find it so much fun just to go through the original games and see all the little enemies drawn they were in shown the old game instruction pamphlets that came with my NES games back in the day.

Mavrickindigo wrote:I look at this and I see this happening

Fans: No thanks, I already own these games five times over, so I won't spend my money on them again
Capcom: Look at the charts. The fans don't want Mega Man because they didn't buy our collection.

I"m pretty sure that podcast Ian was on confirmed that. Fans don't want to buy figures or re-releases, but the sales of such things are what Capcom looks at to determine if the series is viable.

By that logic the rarer games like Adventures of Tron Bonne, Mega Man and Bass, and Mega Man V, probably selling a whole lot better on their releases then Mega Man 1-6 being released for the umpteenth time. I'm unsure if that changes anything but someone Capcom probably doesn't understand why Tron Bonne game sells better then Mega Man 6 :(hearty laughter):.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Capcom ... geez.

I mean, I like the NES era of Megaman best, but can't Capcom put more effort in something like this? Why not just totally remaster the graphics of ALL TEN main Megaman games? Why not add in Wily Tower (from Wily Wars) in there? How about tossing in the Gameboy games? These games keep getting rolled out for each new generation, be it DLC, a collection, or cell phones ... I wonder if it's actually like clockwork for them at this point?
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:58 pm

I might buy it sense I never played any of them. But I think they should but Powered Up & Maverick Hunter X on the 3ds. Think I would play those the most.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Razorsaw » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:I look at this and I see this happening

If that's what you took from that conversation you really are a cynic that tries to see the worst in anything. You do realize that Matt and Ian both said that the way video games are, companies have to go outside of just publishing normal games, right?

In any case, this is more than likely to get Mega Man out into the public consciousness while they work on whatever new initiative is coming with the new cartoon. Not everything is some kind of callous, evil plot.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Gonzo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh good, a compilation with even less effort put into it than Complete Works or Anniversary Collection (which I liked, mind you). *THUNK*

...I guess the hi-rez artwork is an okay bonus, especially if it includes stuff that wasn't in either of the Complete Works books, but. Uuurrgh.

In any case, this is more than likely to get Mega Man out into the public consciousness while they work on whatever new initiative is coming with the new cartoon. Not everything is some kind of callous, evil plot.

Except, while Sm4sh might help a bit, outside of the MM fanbase and retro enthusiasts, I don't know how much appeal a bare-bones collection of third-gen games would hold to Joe Q. Public. Especially not if they'd already gotten these titles off of Nintendo's eShop.

Also, the low sales of that one Darkstalkers collection, which I don't think Capcom bothered promoting, ended up burying the entire series for good. Just sayin'.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Is anyone else annoyed at the marketing blurb for this as well? They make it sound as if this is some amazing new thing, but it's just a bunch of decades-old games anyone whose interested has already played before.

I think the exclusion of MM7-10 has to relate to the studio not having hardware to get the code for those games. Not that that's a good excuse - even the call phone games had the X series.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Bean » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Hmm... This depends on how well the new content is implemented for me since I already own the 2004 Mega Man Anniversary Collection on the PS2.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:33 pm

I own the Anniversary Collection and the X Collection, but I'm interested in this ^^ I wonder how the fortresses will look in high resolution!
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:02 pm

This is an inferior version of existing collections.

I'd ask what in the world they're thinking, but I'm Mighty sure I know why they're suddenly remembering Mega Man exists, even if they're determined to fumble their attempts to do something with him.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:04 pm

I wonder what Challenge Mode will have.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby EvilEddie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Regarding challenge mode, the official press release says it takes areas from existing stages and applies a condition to them. So it'll be existing content remixed into something, not like Powered Up or Mega Man 10's challenge mdoe.

Surprised they didn't at least include 7 and 8 so it could at least be on par with the last collection. Still might do ok on Steam and X BOX one though since those haven't had any re-releases up to now though since the 3DS has the Virtual Console re-releases and PS4 has Complete Works.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!