Could an Open World Sonic Game Work?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Could an Open World Sonic Game Work?

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed May 13, 2015 1:24 pm

Gonzo wrote:Labyrinth and 3D Blast were non-linear but not really "open-world" as the term is used nowadays.

Fair point, but those are closest Sonic games to be compared to 'open world'. Sure, there would be much higher quality (and ability to run fast) and most important location would be different (like cities), but overall world would probably be similar to them.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Gonzo » Wed May 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Both of those games are several console generations old and I sincerely doubt that any open-world Sonic game SEGA made now would even vaguely resemble them simply because they're non-linear; the open-world genre seems to have been firmly established and there's plenty of other companies' works to take notes off of.

At most, I would expect SEGA to re-use 3D Blast's Flicky designs and elements of its art direction.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Spinehog » Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 pm

I really don't see Sonic working in a "true" (one large sprawling map) open world game.

His game mechanics fit much more naturally into separate levels, or stages, or whatever. All I see Sonic doing in open world is getting a bucket of fetch quests. I'd rather have "get to the destination" gameplay remain in walled off biomes or hubs of contrasting styles as current Sonic games do.

That being said, I'd love for a Sonic game to attempt much less visually linear levels. It's pretty clear in most 3D Sonic games that you are running along an enclosed track with walled-off environment on either side. Building level environment as part of the level itself in a Mario 64/Sunshine-esque way is something I'd like to see.

I remember a while back finding a fan made take of Sonic in an open environment, and I thought it was pretty sick.
Dug up the link for you guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimWGmp7XTU
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Fri May 15, 2015 7:49 am

That was actually pretty baller, yeah.

And to be completely fair, Sonic has never really had logical level design like...ever, so I don't see why an open world would be so blasphemous at this point.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat May 16, 2015 2:10 am

Wasn't Sonic Jam sort of open world, albeit at a smaller scale?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:40 am

If they want to continue the 'Boost!' gameplay that Unleashed brought [and Colours and Generations refined a bit] then, yes, they kinda have to - tiny corridors is not a good gameplay [or visual] fit for such.
Chosenoneknuckles
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius