Shadow comics - possible?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Shadow comics - possible?

Postby Mikail » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:46 am

Chameleon Guy wrote:
Vampfox wrote:Meh. If this was pre reset Shadow I'd be all for him getting his own book. I'm still sad that we'll never see how his friendship with Hope would have progress, but new timeline Shadow is just kind of too boring to have his own book.

Honestly that wouldn't have worked. Hope was a replacement for Maria, right? But Shadow's character works around the absence of Maria, if he found a new girl like her, he'd be in peace and he'd be kind of empty. Anyway, he still has friends, Rouge and Omega are there for that reason.

Shadow doesn't need a new sweet girl to be interesting, he just needs more of his own subplots, hopefully something that doesn't have to do with Black Arms again (Eclipse doesn't count though, I like him, he has a personality).

Well Hope wasn't designed to be a replacement for Maria. She was introduced in the comics before SA2 was even announced. The correlation between the two was just a happy coincidence. Plus her effect on Shadow was what I think helped him break from the standard anti hero mold, as such, why Archie Shadow is my favorite Shadow.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby jazzflower92 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:57 pm

I think a Shadow spinoff comics would have the same problems as Knuckles' which is a bloated cast of characters & convoluted story lines.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Mikail wrote:
Chameleon Guy wrote:
Vampfox wrote:Meh. If this was pre reset Shadow I'd be all for him getting his own book. I'm still sad that we'll never see how his friendship with Hope would have progress, but new timeline Shadow is just kind of too boring to have his own book.

Honestly that wouldn't have worked. Hope was a replacement for Maria, right? But Shadow's character works around the absence of Maria, if he found a new girl like her, he'd be in peace and he'd be kind of empty. Anyway, he still has friends, Rouge and Omega are there for that reason.

Shadow doesn't need a new sweet girl to be interesting, he just needs more of his own subplots, hopefully something that doesn't have to do with Black Arms again (Eclipse doesn't count though, I like him, he has a personality).

Well Hope wasn't designed to be a replacement for Maria. She was introduced in the comics before SA2 was even announced. The correlation between the two was just a happy coincidence. Plus her effect on Shadow was what I think helped him break from the standard anti hero mold, as such, why Archie Shadow is my favorite Shadow.

And I think that Hope could bring interesting problems to Shadow. Like what if she disagrees with his 'brutal' method? Would he follow her opinions blindly, just because she remind him of Maria? Just how far would he go to protect her? Would her and Rouge get a long?
And then there is possible comedy of little girl bossing around a "Ultimate Life Form" or at very least trying to convince him to do 'not angsty' stuff with her

Also I thought about it and I think that Shadow could have his own comics. The tricky part would be putting "Sonic" tag on the cover, so everyone would see it.
I mean, "Sonic Universe" sells even if there is no Sonic in it, even on the cover. So if full tittle would be "Sonic's rival: Shadow the Hedgehog" with Sonic's logo contrasting with background, then it might sell.
...I'm only partially kidding 8)
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby jazzflower92 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:05 pm

BigBadBrother wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:I think a Shadow spinoff comics would have the same problems as the Knuckles one which is a bloated cast of characters & convoluted story lines.

Except that Penders could actually write.

Penders, the same guy who gave us the most idiotic plot lines and had a problem with "show, not tell". Not to mention making characters like Locke who are supposed to be good do a lot of unsympathetic actions.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Kellox » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:10 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:
BigBadBrother wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:I think a Shadow spinoff comics would have the same problems as the Knuckles one which is a bloated cast of characters & convoluted story lines.

Except that Penders could actually write.

Penders, the same guy who gave us the most idiotic plot lines and had a problem with "show, not tell". Not to mention making characters like Locke who are supposed to be good do a lot of unsympathetic actions.

and his skill for character design is not that good. (Knuckles with glasses, Knuckles with a beard, girl-Knuckles.)
If Penders would have made a story for Shadow it might have pretty awesome concepts and neat ideas but it be poorly executed and some twin of Shadow would show up.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Village » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:40 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
And I think that Hope could bring interesting problems to Shadow. Like what if she disagrees with his 'brutal' method? Would he follow her opinions blindly, just because she remind him of Maria? Just how far would he go to protect her? Would her and Rouge get a long?
And then there is possible comedy of little girl bossing around a "Ultimate Life Form" or at very least trying to convince him to do 'not angsty' stuff with her

Also I thought about it and I think that Shadow could have his own comics. The tricky part would be putting "Sonic" tag on the cover, so everyone would see it.
I mean, "Sonic Universe" sells even if there is no Sonic in it, even on the cover. So if full tittle would be "Sonic's rival: Shadow the Hedgehog" with Sonic's logo contrasting with background, then it might sell.
...I'm only partially kidding 8)

everything you decribe can be handled with characters that exists in the games, heck it happened during treasure team tango. This also solves the " bloated " character concerns, since shadow for the most part doesn't interact with that many people, and forcing him kind of creates the cast of characters that can as a supporting cast, even sonic himself. with out having to make TOO many.

Mikail wrote:
Village wrote:
Mikail wrote:And there's your premise. Shadow struggling to keep his promise to protect a world that's against him.

I would pay a few bucks for that.

Shadow discovers a new power or something, can't control it. Puts people in danger, Gun like " Nah son "

Well I was more thinking that G.U.N. was the one that screwed up and just used Shadow as the fall guy. They'd be like "Yeah, Shadow's tried to destroy the world before. People will believe that." So Shadow ends up on the run with only a few people he can trust to help clear his name. But with the Eggman war and a bunch of other stuff eating up peoples time and efforts, he's more or less on his own.

Son You don't know how hard that , and not just gun.

Like before The reboot I wanted the acorn kingdom to do some strait dirty stuff and either shadow was the fall guy, or because of their careless actions something horrid happens. That gives shadow legit beef with sonic and the whole accorn kingdom and a whole bunch people ( alot of the FF ) who never had to deal with him. Would now have to deal with him.

I really want " shadow was the scape goat " story line.

" Shadow came back, he's ... he's upset "
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:52 pm

I'd much rather have a comic series that sheds some light on what all has changed since the reboot.

Especially in light of how everyone feels very 2-D in character, atm... at least to me...
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby Village » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:53 pm

WiNTER BELLS wrote:I'd much rather have a comic series that sheds some light on what all has changed since the reboot.

Especially in light of how everyone feels very 2-D in character, atm... at least to me...

Id rather have a book about shadow because to be blunt he is my fave.

You arent wrong though

Switching to game cannon had...effects.Not at all good.
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:02 pm

I literally don't see how Old Continuity Shadow is in any way different from Reboot Shadow.

They're identical. Same Backstory, Same job. The only real difference is he fought the Black Arms to learn about his past but they're pretty much exactly the same.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:38 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote: Same Backstory, Same job. The only real difference is he fought the Black Arms to learn about his past but they're pretty much exactly the same.

well, he had some different backstory that Penders hinted at that Ian outright ignored
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote: Same Backstory, Same job. The only real difference is he fought the Black Arms to learn about his past but they're pretty much exactly the same.

well, he had some different backstory that Penders hinted at that Ian outright ignored

Uh, what?
The Shadow Emperor

Postby Gonzo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:

Or maybe Ian just missed it? I can't remember Penders dropping any major hints towards a divergent backstory for Shadow.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Penders had Shadow as some "neither biological, mineral nor vegetable" plot line with Shadow who didn't even know what chaos powers were, but he never actually got around to giving Shadow any different backstory. He just wrote the guy terribly out of character.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 pm

The Shadow Emperor wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

Uh, what?

like, Shadow had some kind of connection to pre mobius Earth, because he heard a beacon from an ancient facility, and Shadow spent all of his pre-timeskip time trying to find out who he was

then suddenly, time skip happens and he wants to kill eggman.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Village » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Penguin God wrote:Penders had Shadow as some "neither biological, mineral nor vegetable" plot line with Shadow who didn't even know what chaos powers were, but he never actually got around to giving Shadow any different backstory. He just wrote the guy terribly out of character.

Penders starting something that could be cool
Failing or/and forgetting
And as a result someone got written poorly

Is a great discriptor of how handled everyone
Village
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius