SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: SU#75 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mordum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:52 am

Gonzo wrote:
Spoiler: show
Even if 06 retconned itself, I think it's sorta implied that Sonic and Elise retained some vague memories of each other? There's quite a bit of storytelling potential to be had there.

That is not what the word retcon means. There is not a single retcon in Sonic 06.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:28 am

Gonzo wrote:Ian's done wonders with other characters; I don't see why he can't bring in Elise.

Even if 06 retconned itself, I think it's sorta implied that Sonic and Elise retained some vague memories of each other? There's quite a bit of storytelling potential to be had there.

Either way, she still exists and has a role. It's just different now. Sort of like how Silver and Blaze were rewritten, I guess.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Sunwalker » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:25 am

Scruffy wrote:Hey, I noticed a few people saying that Lost Hex was referred to in a previous issue, and I'm assuming they didn't mean the story in the Halloween Comic Fest special. Can anyone point out which issue it was? I must have missed that bit.

It was in STH #270 (page 20), Lost Hex appeared on Eggman's monitor:

He did not comment it, though.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Tylinos » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Mordum wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

That is not what the word retcon means. There is not a single retcon in Sonic 06.

Come on, that's just being pedantic now. You know Gonzo was just using it as shorthand to refer to the events of the ending.

(Actually, if you want to get really pedantic here, there was a retcon in 06 regardless of which way you take the word; Blaze's unexplained presence in the future was, at the time, a retcon to her backstory. [Even if Sega's since re-retconed it and said it no longer counts.])
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:16 pm

Tylinos wrote:Come on, that's just being pedantic now. You know Gonzo was just using it as shorthand to refer to the events of the ending.

Half of the word comes from "retroactive." The ending is not retroactive. Words mean things. Equating the ending with retconning misses the point of the ending and the point of retconning as a concept.

(Actually, if you want to get really pedantic here, there was a retcon in 06 regardless of which way you take the word; Blaze's unexplained presence in the future was, at the time, a retcon to her backstory. [Even if Sega's since re-retconed it and said it no longer counts.])

That is a fairer point and I'd be willing to concede that, but not the above. Blaze had slipped my mind.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Tylinos » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:45 pm

Mordum wrote:
Tylinos wrote:Come on, that's just being pedantic now. You know Gonzo was just using it as shorthand to refer to the events of the ending.

Half of the word comes from "retroactive." The ending is not retroactive. Words mean things. Equating the ending with retconning misses the point of the ending and the point of retconning as a concept.

Slang is also a thing. People have been using retcon as slang for "remove from existence" for a while. It's not what retcon's supposed to be defined as, but the meaning gets across.

Also, to be fair, the ending's retroactive in the sense that it goes back and undoes the events of the rest of the game after they'd already happened.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Tylinos wrote:Slang is also a thing. People have been using retcon as slang for "remove from existence" for a while. It's not what retcon's supposed to be defined as, but the meaning gets across.

Also, to be fair, the ending's retroactive in the sense that it goes back and undoes the events of the rest of the game after they'd already happened.

I don't agree with it here because Sonic 06 uses that ending for a specific, thematic and structural point and it's not what a retcon is supposed to be (which is altering the INTENT of past continuity for the sake of a present and future story). You can't alter the intent of a previous plot point with another plot point in the exact same script. Slang can be wrong. The way nerds currently use "canon" is also technically wrong, but as slang it makes more, acceptable sense. This doesn't.

Crisis on Infinite Earths is not a retcon upon itself. The endgame of the story is an event which retroactively changes the shape and history of the DCU, but there are no retcons in that story that are retroactive relative to anything within those twelve issues because that ending is built into the structure of that specific story. The story as a whole enacts retroactive continuity on past stories, it doesn't invoke retroactive continuity on ITSELF.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Gonzo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Er, well. 06 ending the way it did didn't quite completely negate further story potential; let me put it that way.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Chameleon Guy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:19 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Elise in the comic, we need more authorities, but isn't there some kind of mandate preventing her from appearing?
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Chameleon Guy wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Elise in the comic, we need more authorities, but isn't there some kind of mandate preventing her from appearing?

Nope, but I haven't asked to use her yet, either.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:01 pm

there was a Mephiles mandate right? is that still in place? I noticed one of the recent issues had Mephiles in the fanart page
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Appearances in fanart and Off-panels don't count.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:05 pm

AllHailShadow wrote:there was a Mephiles mandate right? is that still in place? I noticed one of the recent issues had Mephiles in the fanart page

Mandating the exclusion of the biggest baller, forgot to call her in Sonic is a real shame. Even if someone didn't like 06, Mephiles has some of the most potential of any Sonic villain.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby awkwardMEOW » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:08 am

I wish Archie had a similar thing to Marvel where you can check and see if your issue has been shipped yet for the month. Still waiting on issue 75 after a long wait for 271 that somehow resulted in it arriving TWICE within 3 days... I need to see how Silver is re-introduced as I correctly predicted he would be in this issue haha

Now for Thrash and the Babylon Rogues to show up...
awkwardMEOW
BumbleNewbie

Postby Chameleon Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 am

By the way, since Silver is now the protector of the multiverse (sorta), and Genesis Portals are very simple ways of travelling through dimensions...

It would make a lot more sense if Eggman Nega started as an Eggman descendant from Silver's future, then found a Genesis Portal and now lives in Blaze's world in the present. Since Nega is Silver's nemesis, now he wants to close all the portals to stop him, trap him in that world or... something. SEGA might be okay with that, Iizuka confirmed Eggman Nega IS from the future.

I presume we will hear about this in the new Sonic Comic Origins as Silver is involved, even though Nega himself will probably not appear.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius