Archie Sonic's Character Writing Study

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Does this article have a point?

100% YES!
30%
Yeah.
No votes
Kind of...
20%
Meh...
10%
No.
10%
What is this person talking about?
10%
There is so much stupid here.
20%

Total votes : 10

Archie Sonic's Character Writing Study

Postby laviarray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Hey guys, I recently did a piece talking about the writing of the main cast in the comic, talking about how each of the main cast member is written. I have gotten a bit of flack from some the haters of the comic but I would love to get your opinion about it.

I would post it here, but the article is a bit long and I would rather not have this be a full page of text on here.

Here is the link to them:

Introduction

And here are the links to the more important parts
Part 2: Rotor and Antoine
Part 3: Bunnie and Nicole
Part 4: Sally
Part 5: Relationships
And Conclusion

Please comment below or vote on the poll. I would love to hear your opinion.
laviarray
BumbleNewbie

Re: Archie Sonic's Character Writing Study

Postby akessel92 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:52 pm

*reads articles and comments* *sighs* good going lavi you made me even more depressed about this series. I can agree with the fact that the characters need an archetypical identity when we are still far from flushing it out.

Also, the wording on "this is all just sonic trying to be relevant bussiness" isn't the series trying to still be relevant a good thing? This why hate the fanbase of this series if they hate the series and want to abandon it. Go ahead just don't take others with you. (No I am talking to you lavi just conveying a point). As for those who enjoy it but want things to change in the comic talk to ian I'm sure he's open on that stuff right? and also for fans has anyone actually filed a complaint with Sega, archie or anybody else involved?

I am sorry I am ranting but I think what I said is something worth reading for everyone here and outside this board.
Last edited by akessel92 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby jazzflower92 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:03 pm

I think she misses a lot about the series.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:26 pm

jazzflower92 wrote:I think she misses a lot about the series.

That and apparently many do.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby laviarray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:00 pm

akessel92 wrote:*reads articles and comments* *sighs* good going lavi you made me even more depressed about this series.

yay...

I didnt wanna write this because I want to say this series is "bad" or anything. I wrote this because I want to show what I feel is a weakness in this series and want I want to be fix.

I plan on writing it later and hopefully it should be short enough to post on here, but my problems all come down to story construction and character exploration.

With the story, I want plot point to occur with actual logic and build either the world or the characters, instead of contrived story moments and lame deus-ex-machinas or lame endings.

With characters, I dont think they have to be archetypal, but I wish the story would explore more about the main cast instead of them solely being nice. My problem across the board with these 5 is that they are boring, either only being used as plot devices or being only constricted to one aspect of their character.
Neither of which, let the characters show any emotion or commit any actions for their own characters and only happen to move the plot.
laviarray
BumbleNewbie

Postby akessel92 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:26 pm

Lavi. You gotta remember that even though the main characters should be flushed out better. However, it's world rebuilding as of right now in the comic. Twenty years worth of story isn't gonna rebuild itself over night and not to mention keeping the focus of the issues of the current and future stories. That's everything is either in the origins stories or flashbacks. I know it sounds like an excuse but I have no other explanation for why Ian is holding back when it comes to these characters development aside from maybe the papacy that is archie and SEGA has something to do with it or maybe he's got five magic bullets for each character.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby laviarray » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:05 am

akessel92 wrote:Lavi. You gotta remember that even though the main characters should be flushed out better. However, it's world rebuilding as of right now in the comic.

2 things

First off, character exploration and world building arent exclusive. Even if a story is spending time to build a narrative or a world, (which is debatable) character writing can still happen. Such as building their perspective, motivations, quirks, differing interpersonal relationships, behaviors, or even reactions can all happen in a story world building. Take Doctor Who when it went through 2 reboots. Both the Doctor and the companions still were able to have defined character traits that factored into their character

Secondly, this is happening in this story with Sonic, Amy and Knuckles. The story has no problem establishing their own traits, weaknesses, challenges and wants all without making them boring. Could these moments be done better, yes. But at least they get the attempt.
laviarray
BumbleNewbie

Postby SimonSays » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:29 am

I don't feel like the rebooted universe is really a valid reason to excuse the flaws in the FF when tons of side characters have been able to get their point across while being enjoyable in (typically) less than four issues since the start of the new world. Whereas we have characters like Antoine and Bunnie who have been around more consistently since the start, plus had backstory carried over from the old universe, and are still bland and unenjoyable. The articles, from what I've read so far, also look at both sides of the reboot, so taking time to world build isn't really the problem.

That said, while I agree with some of the points in the articles, I think other points are really reaching and subjective. Like, the main thing is wanting characters to have conflicts and challenges and arcs to develop them, but then in the article about Antoine, his growth from a snobbish coward to someone brave and confident in himself is written off as "the writers took away his defining traits to make him less annoying." No, that's him coming out on the other end of his conflicts and challenges as a better person. It's a result of exactly the thing being asked for.

I can agree with the sentiment of "just who ARE these characters?", especially post-reboot, but some of the points here seem to be overlooking stuff that is in the comics. Rotor has no conflicts. Yes, he did and does. In the old world he was separated from his family and had some issues about creating deadly weapons, he wanted to contribute to the team but was coping with a crippling injury. In the new world, he has issues about being accepted by his family and has begun butting heads with the others about doing things the efficient way versus the moral way. I think the better argument would be to say that these conflicts don't influence his character enough, or that they don't do enough to make one of our supposedly main characters relevant. That they appear inconsistently or tend to be after-the-fact additions in the case of the old world. I have this same issue with the part on NICOLE- she's never challenged? That was what the whole Iron Dominion backlash was about- Mina's concert, the citizens' fears, NICOLE not being treated like a person despite having finally learned to simulate emotions. Fair criticism to say that it resolved itself too quickly, not fair criticism to say it wasn't there at all.

So I think the articles really need to be more specific about what the problem is. They also need to pick whether they're criticizing the old world or the new world, instead of doing both, because that really muddles the point. I can say "yeah in Spark of Life it felt like NICOLE didn't get as much development." But then when I have to consider pre-Reboot Nicole, too, things get messy and weird.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby laviarray » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:14 am

SimonSays wrote:So I think the articles really need to be more specific about what the problem is. They also need to pick whether they're criticizing the old world or the new world, instead of doing both, because that really muddles the point.

Yeah, I can admit that. I do have a habit of trying to do too much.

Really, I tried to combine all three universes, Satam, pre-wave, and post wave, because I get so many people telling me that they think that these characters are just now beginning to have problems in their character writing when they have always been present.

I should have mentioned Rotor's need to feel useful when he got the yellow suit and Nicole's frustration after the iron dominion arc, because they do give some insight into them and give us a reason to care about them. I shouldn't have rushed through that.

Here is the thing though, when it comes to these five, I never get a sense on what their personality or what their characters are in general, outside of being pleasant.

They never seem to have any dialogue unique to them, dont have any quirks to make them stand out, and seem to not have any character moments unless the story wants to focus on them and even then it has problems.

Antoine was the exception but I do have a problem that.

While I didn't like the arrogant jerk version of Antoine and I'm ok with him changing, my problem with him comes in with his character basically being downgraded into just existing. Yes, he isn't an annoyance anymore, but now he is as boring as the rest.
laviarray
BumbleNewbie

Return to This Side of Mobius