Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Postby SonicWindAttack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:42 pm

I agree that the issue started off strong, but ended up having a contrived climax. Ellidy suddenly puts the Red Star Ring into Nicole's handheld with no reason to believe that would do anything to help instead of, y'know, defending himself with the crystal energy bracelet Sally gave him (which he made, by the way). I do think the digital chase scene where Sally's wrist is hidden by her shield and eventually reveals a ring is pretty clever, though. It's too bad we didn't really learn anything new about Phage, but at least we're sure to see her again. There's one huge, glaring problem with the ending, though. I'm sure this was neither Ian's nor Aleah's intentions, but having Nicole only being sentient because she adapted to Nikki's neural pathways or whatever really brings up some sensitive material on the whole "nature vs nurture" debate. Just like MegaMan.exe in the Battle Network series, Nicole would never have gotten to this level of awareness without being based off of a living being. As Epee Em from LP Archives puts it, "Complex things like upbringing, social values, philosophy, education, etc., nah screw it, it's all in your DNA". In other words, you'll never have free will unless you're at least partly organic. It seemed like the arc was actually going to subvert this at first, only for it to be played straight at the very end. I won't say it bothered me too much personally, but it probably would hit a nerve if shown to the wrong people.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 pm

I mean otherwise NICOLE would have been a library that became alive just because. It's hard to turn a cataloging program into a person by accident.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:54 pm

So it all comes down to this...

Who was the Spark of Life in this arc?

Nicole, her Clockwork phase, Phage, Phage realizing she might can attempt a physical form in the future, Ellidy having a small acceptance towards Nicole, Sally trying to be creative in the digital world or Big's small character development.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:07 pm

The spark of life from the attempt at saving Nikki that led to Nicole becoming a thing and having the capacity to grow beyond her programming...maybe.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Meliden wrote:The spark of life from the attempt at saving Nikki that led to Nicole becoming a thing and having the capacity to grow beyond her programming...maybe.

Heh nice theory and you could practically be right on that one, but then there's Phage.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 pm

So has anybody been keeping track of the "new" Badniks featured in this arc? Just trying to keep Mobius Encyclopedia up to date.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:27 am

So I'm pretty certain the continuity is gonna go something like this:

-"Champions"
-"Fury" (takes place either just before or during SoL)
-"Spark of Life"
-"Ray of Hope"
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Betz! » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 am

TheFatPanda wrote:So I'm pretty certain the continuity is gonna go something like this:

-"Champions"
-"Spark of Life"
-"Ray of Hope"

I think fury and Ray of Hope are a continuation of each other. Just a thought.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 am

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:So has anybody been keeping track of the "new" Badniks featured in this arc? Just trying to keep Mobius Encyclopedia up to date.

No I rarely pay attention to small fries, but I should.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 am

Betz! wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:So I'm pretty certain the continuity is gonna go something like this:

-"Champions"
-"Spark of Life"
-"Ray of Hope"

I think fury and Ray of Hope are a continuation of each other. Just a thought.

This issue leads directly into Ray of Hope according to the last page.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby jm0364 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:51 am

Finally got the issue and overall I actually enjoyed it.

Although while it's not necessarily part of the issue itself, I would like to point out that in the Coming Soon portion of "My Sonic Universe" Sonic Boom #6, which is titled "Everybody's Super Sonic Racing", is instead labeled with Issue 4's title "Sticks And Stones".

Just felt like mentioning that. ^_^
jm0364
BumbleCitizen

Postby Shadowthehedgehog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Well I didn't read the issue yet, but I did read spoilers.

It looks like everything wrapped up pretty nicely, albeit with a bit of an Anti Climax with Overclocked Nicole.

Overall, this was a decent arc. I honestly expected it to be dull given that I never cared much for Sally or Nicole as characters, which is why it took me a few months to catch up on it, but I actually found it to be pretty pleasant all things considered. We flesh out the background of some of the non-Sega freedom fighters a bit, which leads to some character growth. I liked that, I think the best bits of the arc were how Sally and Elldily argued over Nicole's existence. And Big had some pretty nice moments too despite being a supporting character for the most part.

That said, some gripes I got: From what I read and how this arc started, I notice Ian tends to rely on making characters reckless for the sake of giving them flaws; Its what started the arc and how it ended, and granted I just thought how it was a fitting end given how Nicole did the exact same thing she accused Sally of earlier, but it kind of makes me raise some eyebrows. While I liked it here, I hope this doesn't become a recurring thing where characters make reckless decisions for the sake of learning a lesson. It works for guys like Sonic or Knuckles because they're naturally boisterous, hot blooded characters but not everyone is Sonic or Knuckles, so I hope we get some more moments that don't revolve around just making reckless decisions with the cast.

Phage was kind of "bleh". She didn't really establish much about herself other than being just another villain who works for Eggman, and we got plenty of those. Thunderbolt managed to establish more personality in her short screentime. Hopefully that changes in the future if she ever comes back.

Tails was....pretty pointless (hearty laughter). I imagine he's there for the sake of having a recognizable face on the cover but still, he contributes next to nothing meaningful and feels completely disconnected from the main conflict. Now I do understand he's not the focus of the arc, but that didn't stop Big from having some moments as I felt he sort of gave a simpler, third party POV to the Sally, Elldily, Nicole conflict.

But yea, I liked this arc. Its not as enjoyable as Champions or Total Eclipse but I liked it more than Great Chaos Caper and maybe Shadow Fall.
Shadowthehedgehog
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Ian Flynn didn't write the arc.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Shadowthehedgehog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:11 pm

*glances at the credits* Well maybe not the script, but he's the scenario writer :V
Shadowthehedgehog
BumbleKnight

Postby akessel92 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Wow, Leah you blew it. No thanks to this issue a friend of mine is dropping the comics all together. It was a long time coming since this lousy reboot began. But this was the last straw for him. As for me, I don't know. I am just disappointed and this just adds to my growing list of doubts about you and Ian's abilities in writing.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius