Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:20 am

Eesh, already... :oops:

Preview can be found here.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Re: Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:59 am

Well, we know Sally's n Worlds Unite, so there's one thing we can be assured on.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Tylinos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:00 am

Alright, so we've reached the end of the arc. This issue was pretty good in its first half. Phage felt properly menacing, and both teams (Sally and Nicole, Tails and Big) got some good characters interactions in there.

Big fishes up the Yellow Emerald from the lake (leaving only the Cyan Emerald to still make an appearance), and they get swarmed by Phage-controlled Badniks and Dark Gaia Monsters. While Sally and Nicole try a plan of attack, Phage starts to overpower them (mentioning she needs to bring back the Emerald for Eggman to forgive her for her past mistakes). Badniks break into Dr. Ellidy's room, and as a last resort, he puts one of the Red Rings on Nicole's console. This transforms Nicole into Overclocked Nicole (as shown in the spoiler image in the solicit thread), and that's where we hit the problem I have with this issue.

I'm perfectly fine with the Red Rings giving Nicole a digital Super Form. What I don't like is that this allows her to instantly solve the entire problem of Phage in a single panel with no effort. One move, and Phage is sealed away, and all of the Badniks deactivate. While kind of lame, this alone wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that Ellidy could have attached the Red Ring at any time. There was no actual threat in this issue. Ellidy basically had an instant-win button that he just pressed because he was under attack. It felt cheap.

Anyway, after that, Tails gets a message from Rotor about meeting up in Apotos (an editor's note saying this will be in Sonic #272). Ellidy talks with Sally about how he's still not ready to deal with Nicole, and Nicole tells Sally about how she knows about the Nikki stuff and understands Ellidy's reluctance. Regardless, he gives Nicole one of the Red Rings for study (since he won't have time to do so while fixing his lab), and the gang takes off to head for Apotos.

So yeah. Good first half, really disappointing and cheap-feeling climax, and an alright ending. It kind of sums up a lot of my thoughts on the arc as a whole. I liked the character interactions, and there were some really good moments, but there'd be this occasional part where we just get hit with something that really bugs me and drags the rest down. It's sad.

Also, in a nice touch, the next issue preview page is a two-page spread of the main cover and all eight variants. Sure, it's basically an ad, but I'm glad they showed off all of them in-book.

EDIT: Typos.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby akessel92 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:42 am

Tylinos wrote:Alright, so we've reached the end of the arc. This issue was pretty good in its first half. Phage felt properly menacing, and both teams (Sally and Nicole, Tails and Big) got some good characters interactions in there.

Big fishes up the Yellow Emerald from the lake (leaving only the Cyan Emerald to still make an appearance), and they get swarmed by Phage-controlled Badniks and Dark Gaia Monsters. While Sally and Nicole try a plan of attack, Phage starts to overpower them (mentioning she needs to bring back the Emerald for Eggman to forgive her for her past mistakes). Badniks break into Dr. Ellidy's room, and as a last resort, he puts one of the Red Rings on Nicole's console. This transforms Nicole into Overclocked Nicole (as shown in the spoiler image in the solicit thread), and that's where we hit the problem I have with this issue.

I'm perfectly fine with the Red Rings giving Nicole a digital Super Form. What I don't like is that this allows her to instantly solve the entire problem of Phage in a single panel with no effort. One move, and Phage is sealed away, and all of the Badniks deactivate. While kind of lame, this alone wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that Ellidy could have attached the Red Ring at any time. There was no actual threat in this issue. Ellidy basically had an instant-win button that he just pressed because he was under attack. It felt cheap.

Anyway, after that, Tails gets a message from Rotor about meeting up in Apotos (an editor's note saying this will be in Sonic #272). Ellidy talks with Sally about how he's still not ready to deal with Nicole, and Nicole tells Sally about how she knows about the Nikki stuff and understands Ellidy's reluctance. Regardless, he gives Nicole one of the Red Rings for study (since he won't have time to do so while fixing his lab), and the gang takes off to head for Apotos.

So yeah. Good first half, really disappointing and cheap-feeling climax, and an alright ending. It kind of sums up a lot of my thoughts on the arc as a whole. I liked the character interactions, and there were some really good moments, but there'd be this occasional part where we just get hit with something that really bugs me and drags the rest down. It's sad.

Also, in a nice touch, the next issue preview page is a two-page spread of the main cover and all eight variants. Sure, it's basically an ad, but I'm glad they showed off all of them in-book.

EDIT: Typos.

I have to agree on this too. The climax was a cop out at its worst. I don't want to compare to an episode of my favorite show Supernatural. When Sam and dean first met and dealt with Abbadon, there was nothing cheap and they lost something to gain something. Though they lost their grandad in the end, they got the key to the men of letters' repository for their knowledge of the supernatural. Which helps them.

Though, they got the emerald and a red ring, and the only take away is Ellidy and his relationship with nicole. Though it didn't really change. What I'm getting at was this climax ended just too easy and it seems unthinkable of phage coming back in the books later. And again, I'm disappointed that phage is just a run of the mill minion. When the arc began I looked forward to how phage was gonna turn out. Now I just don't care if she ever comes back. I guess I prefer that computerized demon stay in her box of shame.

Edit: wanted addcongrats phage has now made my list of least favorite characters of the new continuity
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby 009* » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:15 am

Okay I just caught the Off-Panel on knowyourmeme.com. What's this about
Spoiler: show
Nicole being real now?
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:30 am

This issue was nice, sweet, touching and nothing, but a character development on the two duos. No I'm not talking about Sonic and Tails bro moments. I'm talking about Sally and Nicole sis moments. You can see Sally admires Sonic heroism a lot which was demonstrated in this issue. Nicole was scared of Phage, but she made sure Sally was unharmed as well. Nicole also informed Sally that when entering the digital world you can do anything like fly. The problem with that concept is that Sally lacks a creativity, but you can't blame her for that. Sally does come up with a plan and taunts Phage to chase her, but her problem was that she couldn't grasp on being fast like Sonic in the digital world due to *logical brain*. The cute part about that scene is when Phage caught up with Sally, Nicole gave a tug on the ring chain you see on Knuckles 32x game.

Now for Ellidy, he's still is uncomfortable with Nicole presence, but when the situation started to grow at large. He quickly place the red star ring on Nicole's handheld. This gave Nicole a transformation into a super data file like a megabyte turning into a super gigabyte. So far her powers seems limited for now only because it was her first time in that form, but she was able to push back Phage . Phage wasn't killed off either thank goodness' so when the time she resurfaces I can hope to learn more about her lore.

Tails and Big didn't do much in this issue, but it was a nice scene seeing how amazed he looked at Big's fishing skills. Once the fight was over Sally and Ellidy had another small chat, but much calmer than previous issue. However he's not uncomfortable with Nicole yet, but he does make an effort to give her another red star ring. This was enough to not only bring a smile on Nicole's face, but also decides to stay outside and enjoy the ride while the wind pushes on her face.

The issue for me was 8/10. Nice, calm, intense and mysterious, but the main factor was the character development on two characters who needed it. As for Phage as it says on the last page her plans been thwarted, but the father/ daughter reunion has to wait meaning who? Eggman or Ellidy? Does this truly means that Phage is actually Nikki, but can't remember or was the message towards Nicole. Nicole could perhaps be Nikki, but her mind was erased during the whole process when she was nothing more than a mere handheld.

The off panel was cute seeing Sonic introducing Nicole to chili dogs and both ending up chubby due to eating a lot.
Last edited by TurboTailz on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Tylinos » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:44 am

009* wrote:Okay I just caught the Off-Panel on knowyourmeme.com. What's this about
Nicole being real now?

There isn't anything to it. It's just for the sake of the Off-Panel. Note she even responds to it questioningly with finger quotes.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:15 am

The real part was the least eyebrow-raising thing about the off-panel.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby jm0364 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 am

For those wondering, Here's the Off Panel in question

.......take some time to let it sink in. XD
jm0364
BumbleCitizen

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:23 am

Yeah... That's not the best idea for an Off-Panel strip. Some parts of the internet are going to interpret that the wrong way.

I'm also a little confused as to why they are telling you to read Sonic #272 at the end of this issue. Doesn't the next Universe issue take place first?
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:08 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:Yeah... That's not the best idea for an Off-Panel strip. Some parts of the internet are going to interpret that the wrong way.

Not the best idea? Dude you're talking about the internet. You already know that concept is there before this off-panel was created.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:23 pm

So has anybody been keeping track of all the different Badnik variants present on Isolated Island?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:50 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:I'm also a little confused as to why they are telling you to read Sonic #272 at the end of this issue. Doesn't the next Universe issue take place first?

My theory is that #75 takes place at the same time as this arc. It'd explain why Sonic was nowhere to be seen at the beginning of part 1.

He heads to Apotos on his own to scope out the Gaia Temple, and he calls the Sky Patrol out there when he finds it.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Xeric » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Wait, so can Sally form the energy from her Wrist Rings into any kind of weapon, not just the blades? Or is that a 'Digital World only' thing?
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Xeric wrote:Wait, so can Sally form the energy from her Wrist Rings into any kind of weapon, not just the blades? Or is that a 'Digital World only' thing?

Well considering Nicole told her this is the digital you can do anything thing you want that you can't do in the physical. I think it's digital world only, but who knows that could just be another foreshadowing of Sally's power blade abilities.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius