Matt Herms on 'Sonic Sez' this Saturday!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Matt Herms on 'Sonic Sez' this Saturday!

Postby Matt Herms » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:03 am

Hey guys!

I'll be appearing on 'Sonic Sez' with the FTCR guys this Saturday and wanted to put a call out for questions!

So if you ever wanted to know stuff about the more colorful parts of Sonic/Mega Man comics or about me please feel free to tweet questions to @FTCR on Twitter or to post 'em here.

Thanks everyone!

-- Matt

MOD EDIT: Stickied for attention!
Matt Herms
BumbleCreative

Re: Matt Herms on 'Sonic Sez' this Saturday!

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:48 am

I love this Podcast. I'll definitely be listening to the Youtube version.

I even have a question. How long does it usually take to color an issue?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Betz! » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:18 pm

How do you color an issue? Step by step please.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Oakie620 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Any plans of penciling comics again? While you're quite the colorist, I'd be happy to see more of your charming linework.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby Kellox » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:43 am

Which Sonic related character do you have the hardest time drawing ?
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Dejimon11 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:06 am

Incase anybody is wondering the interview was uploaded on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/son ... 05472?mt=2
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:05 am

squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 am

Aw my Question went unused. Fun interview anyway. It was really neat to find out Matt used the same palate as the Guts Man fight for the Spark Man fight. That's a neat touch I didn't even notice.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Matt Herms » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Haha! You guys beat me to posting up the link! Thanks again for all the questions, guys! On the chance that some of the questions didn't get answered, or weren't answered directly:

How long does it usually take to color an issue?

I start it typically about a week to a week and a half out from its deadline. Each page takes about 2 to 3 hours to color, and I average 3 pages per day or more. Once it's in there's usually about a week-long waiting period for corrections from editorial and from Sega/Capcom, at which time I get a few days to make all those changes and edits. I then send in the finished files and the production team takes it from there, putting together the book!

How do you color an issue? Step by step please.

1. As soon as pencils are in, I start looking through those and reading the script - mapping out different locations and gathering reference from games if needed. This is my "planning stage."
2. When inks start to come in I download them and re-size them for print, making any drawing corrections that Sega/Capcom has already mentioned they want. I send these pages to our letterer while I start coloring. Things move pretty quickly from here so the inker, letterer and myself kinda' all work on top of each other.
3. For each individual page, I typically render my characters first and then I go back in and pop my backgrounds onto their own layer to color them. Special effects, etc, are added at the end. I finally plug the lettering in and color that.
4. Once the book is done I send preliminary JPEGs in for review by the editors and Sega/Capcom. Eventually we get notes back and the letterer and I do a final round of corrections, and then we hand in the finished files.

Any plans of penciling comics again?

Not currently! I think the last time I penciled something was in 2010? I think it'd be fun to do a five page back-up or an Off Panel strip sometime, but there'd be some logistics to work out with that as penciling is definitely not my comfort zone and it'd probably take me longer than most to do it!

Which Sonic related character do you have the hardest time drawing ?

It used to be Amy but nowadays it's actually Sally. Especially her new design! Her face is actually kinda' tricky to get right.

It was really neat to find out Matt used the same palate as the Guts Man fight for the Spark Man fight. That's a neat touch I didn't even notice.

Actually, it was the Hard Man fight! Both took place in a cave/mining facility. And yeah, it was just something fun for me. By issue 44 I was coloring Mega Man VERY differently than I was in issue 2, so it being my last issue in the run I figured it'd be fun to throwback to one of MM's earliest fights and one of my earliest issues.
Matt Herms
BumbleCreative

Postby Betz! » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Matt Herms wrote:2. When inks start to come in I download them and re-size them for print

What do you use to resize them?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Yarcaz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Cool, I am seeing the video right after I type this comment! By the way do you ever have to edit the width of the black lines that outline objects or characters at times to give it a sleek or bold look to the comic page and or characters?
Well have a nice day Matt Herms and keep on doing a great job! :D
Yarcaz
BumbleFan

Return to This Side of Mobius