Am I the only one who can't take Metal Sonic seriously?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Am I the only one who can't take Metal Sonic seriously?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:30 am

Just skimming through some current universe stuff again, and when I see Metal Sonic, I can only think about how he's a guy who gets blown up or beat up, or otherwise just fails at his job. The only difference between him and, say, Coconuts, is that he does a better job at trying to be taken seriously, yet, at the end of the day, he's pretty much just as effective as any member of the S6 squad. Its like this in both the games and Archie. He's supposed to be this big bad thing, but usually winds up blowing up by your first confrontation with him. The only exception is in Sonic 4, but he was powered up by some unexplained crystal thing, then in Sonic heroes, despite being powered up, he gets his butt kicked in his first attempt to be serious (the final boss).

Then, of course, you have the comics, which gave us the "revolving door of Metal Sonics" for awhile.

All in all, I think Mecha Sonic was a much more formidable foe. Not only did you have to fight him three times in a row as Sonic, but then he immediately came back as Knuckles' final boss.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: Am I the only one who can't take Metal Sonic seriously?

Postby Spin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:41 am

Sega has overplayed Metal Sonic in the games, the thing in Sonic Free Riders was something else. But I don't mind it so much in the video games, since each game starts anew.

In a flowing storyline sense, I'm still stigmatized by Metal Sonic due to the old canon. Since he was a recurring bother which is easily destroyed within a few panels.

Yeah SU#50 beefed him up and made him more competent with an all out fight with Shard, but the guy still had to blow himself up at the end of the day. And with the reboot, we have to pretend that version of Metal Sonic is the current version of Metal Sonic roaming around threatening old men.

I admit it's hard to have a recurring character function as a cold killing machine, since giving up isn't in his programming. So he has to be destroyed and it has to be done within a span of twenty pages. And you can't focus the whole issue on a Metal Sonic fight. But by killing him off too quickly, it gives off the impression that Metal Sonic is weak. So it's a tricky thing to balance.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby TurboTailz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Pretty much what Spin said the way his character been handled in the comic is a recycle weak villain. The only time he's been recently decent was before reboot between him and Shard plus Worlds Collide. I can say after the reboot he did become a little difficult for Amy and Sally, but Sonic with the support of Tails handled the rest.

I can take him seriously if he's written that way, but his rep in the comics is like a of tug of war. Will he be decent or be defeated? I mean we know he'll be defeated, but still does he got any tricks up his sleeves like he did to Shadow and Blaze when it comes to fighting the main and support characters?
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicWindAttack » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:24 pm

True... the games have never had that climatic Metal Sonic boss fight I so desperately want. And although he usually puts up a good fight in the comics (I repeat, USUALLY), in the end he's beaten in a single issue. Not that I want a fight with him to drag out TOO long, it's just hard to be really hyped up when he's the main enemy. Just like in the current arc, we know he's gonna interrupt Sonic vs. Knuckles, they'll team up and beat him (or at least force him to retreat), and he'll be back to race Sonic in Sonic Universe #75. Though I did like what Ian did in #50, where his past defeats were used as strategic advantages against Shard. Too bad that concept was thrown out the window as soon as it appeared. So all in all, while I think the character has a lot of potential, as of now my expectations are rather low.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby Razorsaw » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:47 pm

By that logic, Eggman is a bumbling nincompoop that you can't take seriously because you beat him repeatedly throughout the games.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Razorsaw wrote:By that logic, Eggman is a bumbling nincompoop that you can't take seriously because you beat him repeatedly throughout the games.

But Eggman IS a bumbling nincompoop you can't take seriously.

Does this look like the face of a man your'e supposed to take seriously? Image
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby qmaster254 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:07 pm

I still wish we could've had a boss fight with Neo Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes. Does anyone know if Metal Sonic's 'copy/adapt' ability was something he secretly always had or was it given to him by Eggman prior to the events of Sonic Heroes?
qmaster254
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:13 pm

In Sonic CD he's a serious problem. In Free Riders he's the final boss. In Sonic Fighters he is so frustratingly hard to fight his moves feel so cheap. In 4 the whole game is dedicated to him being powerful, and in Generations he has a wonderful boss fight. There's no reason to consider him the same as the S6 just because the hero usually beats him. By that logic, literally every bad guy ever has been a pushover joke.
In the comics, he used to be terrible. When the modern run started, he was upgraded partially so that now he could beat Sonic, but every other opponent he had beat him in seconds because "he wasn't programmed for that." It was a very noted issue, and when Metal Sonic vs Shard came around it was fixed: he was strong and frightening. In Worlds Collide, he and Bass get a full issue to themselves to be strong and frightening. When the reboot came back, Metal Sonic plows over everybody without even trying, even if the end is anti-climactic. In the comics, he used to be a pushover: but he is clearly no longer.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Actually, when the reboot came around, he was K.O'ed the very issue he was introduced, left without his legs and ineffectually taunting Sonic, who just shrugged him off. So our first real taste of New252 Metal Sonic was that of someone who Sally and Amy had trouble with, but Sonic did not.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby RadRed89 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:02 pm

I don't know if I'd say that. You're trivializing it somewhat.

Compared to all of the recent fights he'd been in up until the reboot, that was one of Metal's best showings in awhile following the even stronger showing he had in his fight with Shard and then his tag-team match with Bass against Sonic and Mega Man. He had the upper hand for his entire fight against Amy and Sally, shrugging off all of their hits without much effort. And he literally bowled right through the Royal Guard.

Metal Sonic and Sonic didn't even fight in that issue. Sonic attacked him once to get his attention, and then led him into a trap so Tails could blow him up with a MISSLE. And even after that direct hit, Metal Sonic still survived. So you can't say Sonic didn't have trouble with Metal when they didn't even fight in the first place.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Spin wrote:Sega has overplayed Metal Sonic in the games, the thing in Sonic Free Riders was something else.

Context, plz?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Razorsaw » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Razorsaw wrote:By that logic, Eggman is a bumbling nincompoop that you can't take seriously because you beat him repeatedly throughout the games.

But Eggman IS a bumbling nincompoop you can't take seriously.

Does this look like the face of a man your'e supposed to take seriously? Image

I dunno, the comic has done a pretty good job of managing it.

You're holding the fact that a bad guy lost against them. That's what happens in a story like this
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:05 pm

I dunno. I look at Metal Sonic trying to be all scary, but then I think of the time where he masqueraded as an Eggman robot with a spring neck
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tylinos » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:I dunno. I look at Metal Sonic trying to be all scary, but then I think of the time where he masqueraded as an Eggman robot with a spring neck

And then turned into a dragon-thing for...some reason. Metal Sonic was really weird in that game.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby Spin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:12 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Spin wrote:Sega has overplayed Metal Sonic in the games, the thing in Sonic Free Riders was something else.

Context, plz?

The E-10000B/Metal Sonic moment in regards to seriousness. E-10000B is abducted by Team Dark as he walks by, verbally abused throughout the game while complaining about not feeling good and slowly malfunctioning. Finally the robot short circuits and smokes. And Metal Sonic pops out of the smoke with no real proper explanation and then there's talk about how he masterminded the whole ordeal out of nowhere. It's not explained if Metal Sonic was inside the robot or if he disguised himself as the robot and only Eggman and quite possibly the player didn't recognize him. In short. Sonic Free Riders is a terrible game.

And while Sonic Heroes was no masterpiece. The game made better work with Metal Sonic as the central theme even with the cheesiness. Whereas this just feels like Metal Sonic was added last minute with no thought put into it.
Spin
BumbleClan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius