Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Spin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 am

Ryu The Weredragon wrote:Again, you guys are just taking one thing and ignoring how MANY other companies do the same thing and are going "OMG! Capcom hates Mega Man!".

No. You're blowing things out of proportion. -_-

People aren't ignoring the fact. And no fuss is made about those MANY other games because people most likely don't care enough to bother. Mega Man however is a beloved icon.

Or do you think Archie would go around showing interest in producing a comic about any old subpar video game series that had no hope to net them a profit? Or that Nintendo would make a third party character playable in Smash Bros that wasn't worth his salt? How many of those series that no longer produce games do you think fit into that category. Everyone sees the appeal of Mega Man except Capcom. But I guess Nintendo and Archie are just the crazy ones.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 am

Capcom seems to see the appeal enough to have themselves and other people shove him into other games or licenses, but not to do anything with the franchise itself.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tcat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:52 am

All I can see is people whining about other franchises that there's "too many" games coming out within so many years of each other. ...heck, we're getting two different Assassins Creeds this year (not that i really care, i have both paid and preorderd). Capcom's going to release a game eventually. Maybe not this, or next year, but assuming it's "dead" is a bit premature, I think. The entire games industry is kind of struggling right now, making money is what theyre in ror...what theyve always been in for. They're still doing bunches on Xover and they're still making and licensing merchandise. everyone whined and moaned when it came out, but it's still under the title of Megaman whether you like it or not. I hated Battle Network and Ryuusei, but loved X6: i actually enjoyed X7 ...mostly because i never played it in English ;p That didn't mean I flew off the handle that the series was a failure.

Not to mention the people who've gone out of their way to say they're NOT going to support the series because they're not putting out games....but that's another rant I won't get into,
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:00 pm

They said this was the case for AAA titles.

Why do people keep leaving that part out?
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby ClareSilver47 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14 pm

I think part of the reason why Mega Man doesn't do that well these days is the sheer difficultly and forgiving nature of the games and the lack of changes in the game-play. You're essentially playing the same game with different levels and bosses. Once you memorize the game, what do you do? Wait for a new game that is almost just the same as the other game but with different puzzles and some new bosses?
They're probably have pull something off like Hyrule Warriors to get people to play the franchise again (the 3D LoZ games suffer a similar problem)

The fact that Monster Hunter 4 had such a huge change in gameplay is shocking actually. Though the fact that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is going to have a Mega Man and Sonic costume for your cat minion is just a mark of desperation. While the Sonic ones just looks wrong due to the whiskers, the Mega Man one is actually kinda cute
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby HeinousActsZX » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Razorsaw wrote:They said this was the case for AAA titles.

This.
Look at the Ace Attorney series. Dual Destinies came out last year, and while Capcom said that the game sold to expectations, I'm positive that the game sold less than 2 million copies. Yet, not only is Ace Attorney 6 in development, a prequel game is as well.
Capcom might be cutting a few other games off because of poor sales, but that doesn't mean everything but the biggest guns are gone.

Compare Mega Man to Metroid (not just because both main characters have guns for hands).
After Super Metroid (considered to be one of the best 2D platformers of its genre), eight years went by without a Metroid sequel, until the series was reinvented with Metroid Prime.
That's what Mega Man is waiting for. It's been either two or four years since the last Mega Man game, depending on how you define MM X SF. It's really not that long. Sooner or later, some developer will come up with a new way to make a Mega Man game, and I;m content to wait in the meantime.
HeinousActsZX
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:22 am

Hopefully we won't get a Mega Man: Other M type deal. XD;
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby ClareSilver47 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:00 am

HeinousActsZX wrote:

This.
Look at the Ace Attorney series. Dual Destinies came out last year, and while Capcom said that the game sold to expectations, I'm positive that the game sold less than 2 million copies. Yet, not only is Ace Attorney 6 in development, a prequel game is as well.
Capcom might be cutting a few other games off because of poor sales, but that doesn't mean everything but the biggest guns are gone.

Compare Mega Man to Metroid (not just because both main characters have guns for hands).
After Super Metroid (considered to be one of the best 2D platformers of its genre), eight years went by without a Metroid sequel, until the series was reinvented with Metroid Prime.
That's what Mega Man is waiting for. It's been either two or four years since the last Mega Man game, depending on how you define MM X SF. It's really not that long. Sooner or later, some developer will come up with a new way to make a Mega Man game, and I;m content to wait in the meantime.

That's kinda what I said, that they need to pull of something new that the newer generation of gamers will like. I know they can pull off something really fun, they just need to be willing to do it. I mean, Capcom is no stranger to doing weird stuff in games, so I don't see why they can't make a new type of Mega Man game that is a third person shooter
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:15 am

There was an X-series FPS planned, but it was canceled.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:44 am

lalalei2001 wrote:There was an X-series FPS planned, but it was canceled.

Incorrect. It was never planned, it was pitched. Huge difference.

It's like saying "Hey, wanna go get subs for lunch?" and then saying that's what we were going to do for lunch.

They asked if Capcom wanted subs, they said no. They wanted something else.

HeinousActsZX wrote:

This.

Strider - Strider 2: 10 years

Strider 2 - Strider for PS3/360: 15 years

Incidentally, people complained that they were making this instead of a new Mega Man, because apparently Strider fans waiting 15 years to MM's four (and counting) is unfair to fans of the latter.

Street Fighter III - Street Fighter IV: Nine years.

Bionic Commando - Bionic Commando (Reboot): 20 years

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins: 15 years

Final Fight Revenge - Final Fight Streetwise: Seven years

1944: The Loop Master - 1942: Joint Strike: Eight years

Commando II: Mercs - Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando III: 19 years

Metal Gear 2 - Metal Gear Solid: Eight years

Super Metroid - Metroid Prime/Fusion: Eight years

Donkey Kong 64 - Donkey Kong Country Returns: 11 years

Star Fox Command - Star Fox for Wii U: TBD, no less than nine years.

Pikmin 2 - Pikmin 3: Nine years

Pilotwings 64 - Pilotwings Resort: 15 years

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters - Kid Icarus Uprising: 21 years

Still no new F-Zero in sight yet.

So yeah, Mega Man is far from alone in having to wait a bit for anything new to happen. The fact is that Mega Man fans have been spoiled by practically having one or more games per year for quite some time when compared to a lot of other franchises, though admittedly some newer games are trying to catch up (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc.).

I do remember another series/genre that tried doing multiple titles a year when they were already annual: Guitar Hero and its ilk. That dried up real quick. But hey, people still like music; why aren't they making more music games, right?

As for the Nintendo examples, I find it funny that with some track records like those on popular titles that people think they can instantly turn things back around.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Tcat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:55 pm

*Hugs LBD* Thank you for explaining sense :3

I'd wait 15 years for another Strider game, too, the PS3/360 one was fun as fart. I waited pretty much since MvC2 for it.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:12 pm

My hopes is that Sora is the company that gives Capcom the pitch they need.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:37 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:My hopes is that Sora is the company that gives Capcom the pitch they need.

After Kid Icarus Uprising, I'd be quite interested in seeing what they could come up with.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby LilacDownDeep » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Tbh I'd prefer if Capcom took their time with games than poop out sequel after sequel. We've seen what happens when games are rushed, after all.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 am

LilacDownDeep wrote:Tbh I'd prefer if Capcom took their time with games than poop out sequel after sequel. We've seen what happens when games are rushed, after all.

coming out semi-regularly and being rushed are two different things Though when they did MM10 so son after MM9, we saw that it wasn't quite as inspired as its predecessor
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!