Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby EvilEddie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:41 am

ReifuTD wrote:And just how do they know Darkstalkers won't sell 2 million copies, it's been what 15 years since they made the last truly new game?


They're probably basing the figure off of sales of the digital re-releases.
User avatar
EvilEddie
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby ReifuTD » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:I very much doubt it.

Even if it did, It's likely because Mega Man 9 was the return of the blue bomber and was one of the first games that banked on Nostalgia. I doubt another 8 Bit game on digital consoles could break 2 million. Let's face it, We are on a new generation and what most people want to see is a game that will make use of the system's power, not another game that looks like it can be made on a 25 year old console. Imagine a new Mega Man game using the graphics of Knack for a awesome 2.5 HD Platformer. Take Mighty No.9, that's gonna be a Mega Man like platformer but it's actually going to take advantage of the graphics power, rather than being lazy about it and once again banking on Nostalgia.



I'm not sure how you can call choosing one art style over another as being lazy, That said I thought the backgrounds and textures and character sprites for MM9 and MM10 sucked when compared to MM5 and MM6 so yeah the graphics wasn't even as good as the end of NES days. When they remade Duck Tales, if they want to up date Mega Man's style that the direction they should go.
User avatar
ReifuTD
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:17 am

Okay, I may get bashed for this, but slow down for a moment. And please, nobody take offense at what I'm about to say. This is stuff I've observed in my nearly 30 years of being a gamer.

This is NOT a surprising practice. ALL Companies do this. If a game doesn't sell well, then there won't be a sequel.

Mega Man games aren't the best sellers in the world. At all. In fact, with the last few Mega Man games that were released on consoles and handhelds (rather than downloadables), Capcom LOST money making them. Capcom even put up a free downloadble game - Street Fighter X Mega Man - to give Mega Man fans a chance to prove they liked it.

....Their downloads didn't even hit three hundred worldwide, because fans either just sent them between each other, or decided not to get it because they were still mad and didn't think things through.

FYI, I DID Download the game from their site. :P Took a few tries, but I managed it.

You're getting mad at CAPCOM. When the reason why Mega Man is all but dead is because the fans think they're entitled to it - that Mega Man should get released eternally because it's Mega Man. Look at various other series from other companies. Want an example? Klonoa. The games used to sell GREAT worldwide. But... The Wii Remake didn't sell as well as they had hoped. So Klonoa hasn't had a new title in years.

Comic companies do the same thing. Some comics never get past a couple of issues because of this reason.

It's sad, but it happens. Am I dissappointed? Of course I am! But, can Capcom really AFFORD the risk of making games that might not turn a profit, like a new Mega Man or DarkStalkers? No.
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:54 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Zan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:36 am

....Their downloads didn't even hit three hundred worldwide


You sure?

http://www.primagames.com/games/street- ... llion-down
Zan
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:53 am

Yes, I'm sure. I trust Prima Games as far as I can throw the building. << They've got about as much respect from me as IGN.
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:54 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:40 am

Ryu The Weredragon wrote:Yes, I'm sure. I trust Prima Games as far as I can throw the building. << They've got about as much respect from me as IGN.


Perhaps you'll find this source more reliable?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:04 am

I'm gonna need a source that Mega Man 9 and 10 lost Capcom money. what amount of money would they have to spend on games like that? It can't be a lot.
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Tcat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:08 am

300? One mill? Does it matter? It's still lower than the >2 million that'll entice capcom to make more.

One thing I wish is they'd get off their high horse with the 8-bit nostalgia. Being someoen that didnt grow up with megaman on my NES...I'm kind of over this whole retro phase gaming is trying to go for.
User avatar
Tcat
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 4197
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03 am
Location: East Tenuhsea

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Gonzo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:32 am

Just once, can we have a discussion about Capcom's toxic business practices without someone derailing it into "Megaman fans are such entitled moronic losers for wanting Capcom to drop those business practices"?

It's not even that they don't produce sequels to games that under-sold; it's that, for the most part (outside of cameos), they never touch those series again. They're literally going to run out of series at this rate, and it's a matter of when, not if.
User avatar
Gonzo
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 am

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:26 am

ReifuTD wrote:
Ryannumber1gamer wrote:I very much doubt it.

Even if it did, It's likely because Mega Man 9 was the return of the blue bomber and was one of the first games that banked on Nostalgia. I doubt another 8 Bit game on digital consoles could break 2 million. Let's face it, We are on a new generation and what most people want to see is a game that will make use of the system's power, not another game that looks like it can be made on a 25 year old console. Imagine a new Mega Man game using the graphics of Knack for a awesome 2.5 HD Platformer. Take Mighty No.9, that's gonna be a Mega Man like platformer but it's actually going to take advantage of the graphics power, rather than being lazy about it and once again banking on Nostalgia.



I'm not sure how you can call choosing one art style over another as being lazy, That said I thought the backgrounds and textures and character sprites for MM9 and MM10 sucked when compared to MM5 and MM6 so yeah the graphics wasn't even as good as the end of NES days. When they remade Duck Tales, if they want to up date Mega Man's style that the direction they should go.


I don't have a issue with updating a style which Ducktales Remastered did greatly but when a game very clearly banks on nothing but Nostalgia. I mean, with the sort of 2D platformers that have been coming lately, Capcom have to realize that they can't constantly bank on NES graphics and call it a day.
User avatar
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:41 pm

For all we know, maybe they're just ready to be out of business...
User avatar
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:06 pm

Gonzo wrote:Just once, can we have a discussion about Capcom's toxic business practices without someone derailing it into "Megaman fans are such entitled moronic losers for wanting Capcom to drop those business practices"?

It's not even that they don't produce sequels to games that under-sold; it's that, for the most part (outside of cameos), they never touch those series again. They're literally going to run out of series at this rate, and it's a matter of when, not if.


I think the undersold thing is part of the problem, in that they think that sales figures from a decade and a half ago are relevant today. There are games which have been released, didn't do so hot upon release, but gained cult followings and seen the demand surge with prices for those games going up on eBay and Amazon. But apparently if it didn't sell then, it won't sell now.

Not to say this is strictly a Capcom thing, though I have certainly noticed it there, but...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby ReifuTD » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Good point, I heard the game Shantae by WayForward didn't sell that many copies because it was a Gameboy Color game that came out after the Gameboy Advance did. But people loved the game and would buy cartages off of Ebay for 200 dollars and WayForward is about to come out with the third and fourth game in the series.

There are many factors in why something does well or not.
User avatar
ReifuTD
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Tcat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Being that MMX/Zero is only my SECOND favourite OF ALL TIME game series I feel I should point out that it's not just Capcom doing this.... though MM fans seem to be the loudest when it comes to feeling like their owed a new game.

To put it in perspective:

Legacy of Kain: The Dark Prophecy was in development for barely four months, and it took nine years for any materials to be made public.
Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun was in development for over three years (if you include preproduction) and very little was ever released to the public until early 2014.

Square Enix eventually projected that the game wouldn’t reach their sales expectations, and they decided to cancel it in 2012. Sources speculate that as the company had invested no money into marketing at this point, it was an easy decision for them. Some of the development team were not told about the cancellation, and still came in on their weekends to work on the game while Square Enix executives knew it would not be coming out.


Everyone acts like Capcom is some kind of devil.. but seriously, they're just the ones getting the most flack. THIS KIND OF THING HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.
User avatar
Tcat
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 4197
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03 am
Location: East Tenuhsea

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:20 am

ReifuTD wrote:Good point, I heard the game Shantae by WayForward didn't sell that many copies because it was a Gameboy Color game that came out after the Gameboy Advance did. But people loved the game and would buy cartages off of Ebay for 200 dollars and WayForward is about to come out with the third and fourth game in the series.

There are many factors in why something does well or not.


Fun fact: Mega Man Legends 2 for PS1 went on sale the same week as the PlayStation 2 in the U.S.

Capcom also said Mega Man Legends was a "popular" game when questioned about bringing The Misadventures of Tron Bonne to the U.S.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests