Mega Man #41 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #41 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:31 am

diamonddeath wrote:I'm a bit confused here. What's the point of this wild goose chase that Dr. Wily sent Mega Man on? If he ultimately wants Mega Man to obtain the crystals, then why did he have his Robot Masters pretend to go rogue? And for that matter, why have Mega Man obtain the crystals? Dr. Wily could have easily just obtained them from Gamma in the beginning. Is he trying to buy time until his fortress is built? Would he really have lost his chance to obtain the crystals before then? He's basically giving Mega Man eight new power-ups just for the sake of a wild goose chase.

In Mega Man 3, the Robot Masters stealing the Energy elements was a distraction so that Wily could get in close to Dr. Light and steal Gamma while Mega Man was busy dealing with the Doc Robots and Break Man. I figure he wants the elements in the same place so he can use them to power up Gamma while he makes off with him. Of course, this makes me wonder why the MM3 guys stole Gamma's head to begin with...
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:31 pm

This was a fun issue! I love how the Robot Masters have more characterization and page time here. Top Man and Snake Man were great! I'm assuming the Wily Castle, Break Man, and Gamma will be saved for after this arc. Four issues for the Robot Masters, and two or more for the final parts of Mega Man 3. So far, the pace is a major improvement!

I didn't really think of this until this "main Mega Man" story was getting started, but I have to say, while I do like Powree's art style, it's been quite a while since we had Ben Bates draw a Mega Man issue. He did such a great job drawing the MM2 arc. Also, it would have been cool if Matt Herms did his colors similar to his first issues, but what the hey; everything still looks awesome!
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:22 pm

If I remember correctly, Ben has retired from doing comic art.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:29 pm

I just noticed that the two sets of Wily bots were ultimately made to be destroyed. Game arc 2 needed them to die so Megaman can get their powers and receive the virus. This one had the bots be a distraction. You get a raw deal when you're a wily bot, haha.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Breakman. I wonder if he'll follow the stage appearances (Magnet, Gemini, Hard? I forget which ones he's in). Or maybe he'll just show up after the bots are beaten.

Ben Bates did the Pony annual with the superhero Power Ponies recently tho.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:31 pm

I do believe Bates got into some work doing graphic design sometime ago, so he's not likely to do any interiors for a while. Though he can/has done an occasional cover (i.e. The main 'Waves of Change' covers in StH and the aforementioned MLP annual cover).
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Axel T Rat » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:56 pm

+Just realized that the cover's supposed to loosely be like the Japanese box art.
+Liking the characterization with Top Man and Snake Man
+The various facial expressions for either.
+Top Man's little nods to game strategy
+"You beg my pardon?" Just love that line for some reason. So Wily.
+Early look at Rush's space mode way before the Stardroids show up.
+Seems the first half will be devoted to two Masters per issue. Sweet.

So nothing bad to speak of. I overall love this issue. : D Helps that 3 is my fave game in the series
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:23 am

Ben Bates did the interiors of the Power Ponies annual actually.

I don't check future issue solicits so it's for real that game 3 (Legends of the Blue Bomber) is more than 4 issues? 4 issues with 2 Robot Masters each then extra issues to beat Breakman, the Wilybots and Gamma?
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:14 am

FeroMcPigletron wrote:I just noticed that the two sets of Wily bots were ultimately made to be destroyed. Game arc 2 needed them to die so Megaman can get their powers and receive the virus. This one had the bots be a distraction. You get a raw deal when you're a wily bot, haha.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Breakman. I wonder if he'll follow the stage appearances (Magnet, Gemini, Hard? I forget which ones he's in). Or maybe he'll just show up after the bots are beaten.

Ben Bates did the Pony annual with the superhero Power Ponies recently tho.

too be fair, the MM3 bots weren't designed to be destroyed. They were just created by Ra Moon so he could have an army. Of course, in the game, they were created by Light and Wily to work on the asteroids, but then they "randomly" start to revolt
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Toby wrote:If I remember correctly, Ben has retired from doing comic art.

Apparently he's doing an issue of the Teen Titans Go! tie-in comic in December and he said on Deviantart he's still planning on doing the Sonic Legacy covers.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Ben's retired from doing comic work as the main mean of sustenance, basically.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Some comic company needs to offer Ben Bates a buttload of cash so he can do more interiors. I dunno how his regular humans look but he's probably still do awesome superhero work.

Btw, did Snakeman do that 'talking thru his search snakes' bit in the Ra Moon arc? That was a creepy cool move.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:35 pm

FeroMcPigletron wrote:Some comic company needs to offer Ben Bates a buttload of cash so he can do more interiors. I dunno how his regular humans look but he's probably still do awesome superhero work.

Btw, did Snakeman do that 'talking thru his search snakes' bit in the Ra Moon arc? That was a creepy cool move.

He seems like he would be a more expensive artist. Everything he draws is dynamic, sleek, and very expressive. It would be cool for him to at least keep drawing the covers, but I would love for him to draw the interiors, like pretty much everyone else has said.

I believe Snake Man only used his snakes to spy on and later distract Mega Man during the Ra Moon arc, but yeah, those snakes are pretty cool! Anyone else pictured Steve Blum when reading his lines?
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:41 am

Which Steve Blum voice? Cowboy Bebop Spike?

With Topman saying Legendary, he could sound like Barney Stinson Neil Patrick Harris, haha
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:39 am

I thought Ben Bates was quitting comic books
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:47 pm

FeroMcPigletron wrote:Some comic company needs to offer Ben Bates a buttload of cash so he can do more interiors. I dunno how his regular humans look but he's probably still do awesome superhero work.

His humans look good. His art in New Crusaders and TMNT was great.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!