Crossover- Decoding the Mega Man Timeline

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Crossover- Decoding the Mega Man Timeline

Postby ReifuTD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prw-Kh41WaU

So, is Doctor Light part Japanese then? That shirt makes me think he grew up in Hawaii and theres a lot of Japanese in Hawaii.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Re: Crossover- Decoding the Mega Man Timeline

Postby Zan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:31 pm

I found that video cringe worthy, to say the least. Just an exercise at speaking so much yet saying so little. It covers only the barest of the basics, and somehow gets even those points wrong.

Point by point:
-There's no split timeline between Classic and EXE. Discrepancies between these separate yet similar fictional universes exist since prehistory. Compare Duo (Robot) to Duo (OS) and Ra Moon (Alien Supercomputer) to Mu (EM Wave Lost Civilization).
-Thomas Right (American) and Tadashi Hikari (Japanese) share many parallels, but not a personal history.
-The century in which ZX occurs is not officially stated. It can only be extrapolated from '21XX+150+200+XX', as either late '24XX' or early '25XX'.
-Volnutt named after a videogame character (on Baby Roll's insistence?!) is a product of localization. Barrel actually named the kid 'Rock' because it would fit with his granddaughter 'Roll'. 'Rockman' / 'Mega Man' is instead his title as Trigger within the Master System.
-EXE goes from '200X' to '20XX'. I haven't the faintest clue where they got '21XX' from.
-Despite their continued insistence on '200X' for classic and EXE, they neglect to affirm Star Force starts in '220X'.

That said, it's much more interesting to consider how each of the classic sidestories fit together, or how Command Mission occurs in a parallel universe to Rockman Zero, but the video covered none of that.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 pm

Command Mission is a parrallel universe?

I didn't think Zero had a set date, so I assumed it was 100 years after the Maverick wars stopped happening and stuff. Which, according to CM, would be 22XX or later
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:42 pm

I think Classic and BN are in a sort of split timeline, but it's ALSO a plain AU.

At the end of the first game, Wily says the following:

"Thirty years ago, your grandfather and I were scientists at the same institute. We were in competition with one another for the grand prize. Our nation held a Contest every year to decide which project they would pout full funding behind, and, that year, also to decide which project would be sent on to the international level. I built robots…and he specialized in Networks."

he then goes on to say that Light winning the contest over him drove him to try and destroy the Internet.

It's implied from that that in the classic series, they chose robots over the Network.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Zan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Command Mission is a parrallel universe?

I didn't think Zero had a set date, so I assumed it was 100 years after the Maverick wars stopped happening and stuff. Which, according to CM, would be 22XX or later

MMXOCW:
*X image with his scarf taking up half the picture, you know the one*
MARKETING ILLUSTRATION
"When I heard the timeframe was set in the year 22XX, I realized it was the same as the Zero series. That's why I added a few touches to give it a bit of a Zero flavor. Initially, I had some reservations about X's design changes, but I think it suits him quite well." (Higurashi)

MM25:
Higurashi: "Command Mission" is technically a spin-off, so even though it takes place in 22XX, it's not necessarily the same "22XX" during which the "Zero" series takes place. Still, we didn't want to cut it off completely just because it's a spin-off. Our goal was to incorporate some of the "Zero" series' flavor in order to make it feel like "Command Mission" is still connected to the other games, like it is part of the same family. So it might be easier if you regard "Command Mission" not as "a story that takes place between X7 and the Zero series", but rather as "one of many potential futures that exists independently from the Zero series".
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:27 am

Huh. Kinda weird, considering that I don't think an actual year is ever given for MMZ.

Great, just what we needed... more headaches.

Speaking of which, aren't these the same guys who did that video based on that old 4chan image about Light being the biggest villain of all?

Then again, since Higurashi's the illustrator, maybe he might have misunderstood how it all fits...? Yeah, probably not.

Surprising that X was the only one stylized towards MMZ, though. You'd think he'd have done something with Zero or Axl...

lalalei2001 wrote:he then goes on to say that Light winning the contest over him drove him to try and destroy the Internet.

Pretty sure he never says "Light."

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:21 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Speaking of which, aren't these the same guys who did that video based on that old 4chan image about Light being the biggest villain of all?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Same channel differnt people, Game Theorists is a shared channel witch have vidoes those people don't even post on thier own channels.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:08 pm

ReifuTD wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Same channel differnt people, Game Theorists is a shared channel witch have vidoes those people don't even post on thier own channels.

yeah Game theory's mega man video was pretty lacking, though I enjoyoed their recent Mario 2 parter about Rosalina's parents.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Return to For Everlasting Peace!