Mega Man #40 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Mega Man #40 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 pm

The MM/MMX "crossover" comes to a close, but oh the things it has set up...

Have at it, folks.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: Mega Man #40 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby RadRed89 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Ian, you tease! Argh I have to know if we're really getting another crossover or if I'm just looking too deeply into it!

As for the rest of the issue, it was a good conclusion to this arc, if a little bittersweet since it feels like we're not going to be seeing the X universe again for a long time, if ever. I really enjoyed getting to see many of the faces from the X series appear throughout the arc, and the action was particularly good. I'd say the highlight was Sigma fighting alongside everyone like the boss that he is, with another being Zero taking Sigma's Saber for a second to attack the Wily Walker, foreshadowing his eventual use of the weapon.

But SHEESH. That face Sigma made when he brought down the Wily Walker was just scary. Along with Relic in SU# 67 this was a odd month for creepy faces.

If it wasn't for that face, I might have almost forgotten that by this point Sigma was already infected by the virus that eventually becomes the Sigma Virus. He comes off almost downright friendly in this story, particularly towards X and Zero.

On the classic side of things, it was clear going in that Mega Man classic wasn't the point of this story, but the parts focused on that timeline were adequate. I enjoyed Wily and Cossack's interaction, and how we're already getting a little groundwork done for MM 4 before we've even really started MM 3.

Pharaoh Man looks weird without his helmet. That is all.

Xander Payne's part in this story, particularly the way it ended, is what I'm most curious about coming out of this story. (Seriously are we getting another crossover or what!? First that comment from SDCC and now this!)
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:09 am

I do enjoy the Mega Man X teaser we got from all of this, and the build up to Mega Man 4 was delightful. Overall I really liked this arc, but I can't help but feel the reveal in the final panel might have taken something away from it. Most people probably wanted a reveal for a Mega Man X book, and were waiting with baited breath for it here in the comic. Instead we got a huge tease (and pretty much confirmed since SEGA wouldn't allow Sonic's face on a Mega Man book in the story) for another Sonic crossover. While I think that would be fun, especially if it used comic characters this time around, I feel it takes from the other elements we've seen.

I'm interested to see where Xander is going, and if this Limited series they were talking about in the convention starts a new age of mini-series and super specials, I'm all for that.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tylinos » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:14 pm

This ended Mega Man and X's sides of the story pretty well, but I'm not quite as solid on how Xander's side ended. It pretty much amounted to "Okay, he's seen all he needs to see from the future. Back to the present!" Also, was the guy sharing Xander's cell supposed to be anyone in particular?

I loved how Sigma was portrayed here: He was an effective leader of the Hunters, but you could also see hints of the Not-Yet-Sigma Virus in him. I liked Vile's justification for blowing up the highway, too. It made sense from his standpoint without being just mindless destruction. And then the setup with Cossack... Despite my complaint about Xander, there really was a lot to like about this one, and the arc in general.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 pm

The arc was a ton of fun but honestly I enjoyed the X Prequel stuff far more than the Present day Mega Man stuff.

I hope an X book comes out of this.

And I guess were getting another Sonic/Mega Man Crossover. Meh. I enjoyed the first one and all but it feels way too soon.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Bean » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Got the issue today and liked the whole setup with Wily trying to persuade Cossack into building some more Robot Masters for him as well as Bright Man showing his new powers to disable the Wily Walker for the time being. That was always going to be second fiddle to the main plot with X, so I don't mind, and there were some nice lines in that, too.

Only confusing part will be the Xander stuff. Not sure if he's going to bide his time for another crossover event, if it was just a "Hey, go buy this thing we've done already!" moment, or what, but it has me curious. In the meantime, I'm ready for Mega Man 3 now.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:49 pm

This issue tears me up.

I mean, it was awesome... perhaps too awesome. The thing about it is, like this? I could read ongoing adventures of X, Zero, Sigma, and Vile-- in other words, pre-war Maverick Hunters taking on various threats. Unfortunately, I don't expect we'd see much of that were a proper X book to get underway*.

And that saddens me. =(

I guess that's all the more reason to keep this arc held dear.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

* For various reasons, not the least of which being fans constantly asking when X and Zero are going to get to the fireworks factory.
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:34 pm

If they did an X book, the first arc could be a pre MMX story, set up the Maverick Hunters they didn't introduce yet before having them turn Maverick, you know?

that being said, why did we not get an X announcement this year? :(
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby RadRed89 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Looking it up, I would say the sales of Mega Man are the culprit. It doesn't pull Sonic the Hedgehog or even Sonic Universe numbers, meaning that a spinoff about X likely isn't a wise financial move for Archie right now.

It's a shame. But I don't see an X book happening any time soon.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Anyone have a link that mentions the "limited series" crossover?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby RadRed89 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

RadRed89 wrote:This wasn't brought up during the Archie Action Hour Panel at SDCC, but Sonic and Mega Man were mentioned at the main Archie Panel, and one thing in particular caught my attention.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54531

Pellerito also announced some new comics based on their video game licensed comics, including “Sonic Boom” featuring characters from Sega’s Sonic the Hedgehog universe and tied to a new game and cartoon, and Capcom’s Mega Man. In addition to new solo comics, the two characters are set to cross over in an upcoming limited series.

In addition to new solo comics, the two characters are set to cross over in an upcoming limited series.

...the two characters are set to cross over in an upcoming limited series

Excuse me? I'm-I'm sorry, did we just have another crossover between Sonic and Mega Man announced?
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Antiyonder » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 am

RadRed89 wrote:Looking it up, I would say the sales of Mega Man are the culprit. It doesn't pull Sonic the Hedgehog or even Sonic Universe numbers, meaning that a spinoff about X likely isn't a wise financial move for Archie right now.

It's a shame. But I don't see an X book happening any time soon.

I wonder if pre-ordering the trade collecting the issues would help.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 pm

You may have liked Gilbert B. Stern...
image.jpg
...but now you love him. (And his puns.)
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:that being said, why did we not get an X announcement this year? :(

Because Comic series are not announced immediately after a back door pilot arc gets finished.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby diamonddeath » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Finally read this, and I loved it! Ian, I love what you're doing with Mega Man! Keep it up! I do still have the same question, though- Why couldn't Dr. Wily use the Wily Walker in his previous conquests? Was it unsafe for humans to enter that area or something? Even still, he could have had his Robot Masters obtain it for him.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!