The S-ports Thread: Re-Releases and Ports of Sonic Games

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic 2 re-release & Sonic ASRT for iOS & other devices

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:03 am

EthanEmerald wrote:
Meliden wrote:There's rights issues surrounding the music of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. If that's part of the reason why it won't be made, no amount of letters would do anything.

Well, that's not true either. IF music issues are what is what's holding back the project, Sega can simply license the music from the Michael Jackson estate. The same way Archie licenses Sonic properties from Sega.

Now, more likely, they may think that option is too expensive to be worthwhile. If that's the case, then pressure from their fans and customers can certainly make a difference.

They'd make more money off of it, if they released the darn things on PC.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby squeakyboots13 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Matt7325 wrote:I would have thought Sega had the rights to those songs given they hired MJ to write for them, but who knows. It hasn't seemed to impact on any ports/etc. in the past. Perhaps they're wary of the Jackson Estate claiming copyright and trying to publish The Sonik 'n' Nukles Chronicles.

Every previous rerelease of Sonic 3 has always been an emulation of the original ROM, which I've been told Sega can get away with doing without having to deal with music copyrights. The old late 90's PC version of the game was a port and therefore required them to replace some tracks with new ones. (Carnival Night Zone, Ice Cap Zone, Launch Base Zone, Knuckles' theme, and the Act 1 Boss theme if memory serves.)

I have no idea how willing the Michael Jackson Estate would be to work out a deal with Sega, but when you're talking about a $2.99 iphone game, it's probably not worth it to Sega. The only other options would be to use the PC version's music or give Taxman the boot and just release an emulated version. Neither scenario is ideal and would just lead to fans complaining about it. I'm sure Sega would likely rather avoid the negative PR.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Daisetsu » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:54 pm

But then you have Sonic Jam (no emulation involved) which came out about 4 months after S&KC and it has all the music intact...
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:45 am

I thought the problematic music from Sonic 3 was replaced in S3&K?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Polish Pete » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:07 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I thought the problematic music from Sonic 3 was replaced in S3&K?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I think the problem lies in the Sonic 3 levels' music, from Carnival Night Zone to Launch Base Zone, and Competition music. And who knows if not even the Hydrocity Zone and Marble Garden Zone music as well! You never know...
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Taxman's partner Stealth verifies what Christian said.

Warning: The comments have some pretty disgruntled fans, so there's swearing. But not from Stealth's comment itself.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Polish Pete » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:12 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:The only other options would be to use the PC version's music or give Taxman the boot and just release an emulated version. Neither scenario is ideal and would just lead to fans complaining about it. I'm sure Sega would likely rather avoid the negative PR.

If SEGA's that stubborn to just give us the same old version again, fine, but why on Earth would you want to get rid of such talented guy, if he can make remastered version of many OTHER games, like SegaSonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Spinball, Knuckles' Chaotix, Sonic 3D Blast or the Game Gear games? I'd LOVE to play those on my Android tablet!
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby squeakyboots13 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:33 pm

Sega isn't getting rid of him. There have been teases on Sonic Retro that he's working on some other non Sonic related project.

They could do remakes of those other games you listed, but the fact is they most likely wouldn't sell as well as Sonics 1 and 2. I'm sure a lot of fans would like to have a remake of Knuckles' Chaotix, but the average non-gamer just playing stuff on his iphone isn't going to care unless they released it for free which I doubt they would do. (And I don't even want to imagine what playing SegaSonic or 3D Blast on a touch screen would be like.)

I personally want to get Wii U ports of Sonics 1, 2, and CD before anything else.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:41 pm

SEGA can't get rid of him since he was never SEGA to begin with. Stealth-Tax has had good support and SEGA realises this, but there's also pretty clearly some legal hurdle here the audience doesn't know of but assumes about (sounds familiar!) preventing much to be done with Sonic 3. So it seems they've just moved on to doing other things, not necessarily at SEGA- like any freelancer, they just work where asked to. (See also: Platinum Games doing Bayonetta 2 and W101 for Nintendo, Korra for Activision, and that one game for Microsoft IIRC; SUMO Digital doing LBP3 for Sony)

Also Squeaky if you mean Gene and TimmiT's hints, it was a joke (they were hoping to start a rumour there's going to be Phantasy Star remasters). They don't know, at least that we know, what Tax is doing.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:41 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:Sega isn't getting rid of him. There have been teases on Sonic Retro that he's working on some other non Sonic related project.

They could do remakes of those other games you listed, but the fact is they most likely wouldn't sell as well as Sonics 1 and 2. I'm sure a lot of fans would like to have a remake of Knuckles' Chaotix, but the average non-gamer just playing stuff on his iphone isn't going to care unless they released it for free which I doubt they would do. (And I don't even want to imagine what playing SegaSonic or 3D Blast on a touch screen would be like.)

I personally want to get Wii U ports of Sonics 1, 2, and CD before anything else.

I, for one, would not mind in the slightest if they were to release yet another retail compilation of games, but instead have them filled with Taxman/Stealth ports of various titles.

Wii U would be great, too.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:59 am

Taxman and Stealth have released a video of a unofficial Sonic 3 & Knuckles proof of concept that they've been working on.

http://www.sonicretro.org/2014/10/taxma ... f-concept/

The Taxman wrote:I'll continue to parrot this to make sure it's clear: this isn't an official announcement of any Sega project, nor to we intend to work on this as a fan-project. It's simply a proof of concept from our vaults that has been kept to our chests for some time.

Regardless, the video is still awesome and everyone here should watch it.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:24 am

squeakyboots13 wrote:Taxman and Stealth have released a video of a unofficial Sonic 3 & Knuckles proof of concept that they've been working on.

The Taxman wrote:I'll continue to parrot this to make sure it's clear: this isn't an official announcement of any Sega project, nor to we intend to work on this as a fan-project. It's simply a proof of concept from our vaults that has been kept to our chests for some time.

When are they going to let Taxman make original games?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:32 am

Since S3&K hasn't been commissioned by SEGA, they let them before now.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:59 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
squeakyboots13 wrote:Taxman and Stealth have released a video of a unofficial Sonic 3 & Knuckles proof of concept that they've been working on.

You do understand how their relation with SEGA works, right? They don't let Taxman do anything, they're freelancers. Taxman can make as many original games as he wants provided he's the money for it. SEGA instead gave him money for Sonic CD, 1, and 2.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:59 pm

The KKM wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

You do understand how their relation with SEGA works, right? They don't let Taxman do anything, they're freelancers. Taxman can make as many original games as he wants provided he's the money for it. SEGA instead gave him money for Sonic CD, 1, and 2.

Ok, why don't they pay him to make Sonic 5?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius