Mega Man #37 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #37 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Antiyonder » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Basically just to make things short and sweet (regarding Penguin God and Gonzo's post), the dash is a handy ability for X to have from the get go, but it's far from a game breaker.

Heck, even when you obtain it, the game still provides an adequate challenge.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Maybe the leg upgrade will just boost his overall speed.

Mega Man Monthly wrote:I just can't say I agree. There are plenty of ways to develop a character apart from "here's your leg upgrade, now learn to control the power it gives you." And besides... Mega Man having the slide and charged shot from the get-go definitely didn't hurt anything in the Classic narrative, so I can't see how X being able to dash early will either.

One nitpick:

SlideMechanics.jpg

Issue #19; he didn't have the slide from the get-go.

And I think Ian said something about Mega Man having the charge shot early, but not as something he can just whip out constantly like he can in MM4 and up; rather, it's something he can do, but is reserved for desperate situations.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:57 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:One nitpick:

SlideMechanics.jpg

Issue #19; he didn't have the slide from the get-go.

He used it in issue #3.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonicpolo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:13 am

Doesn't look like a slide to me. Perhaps a Artistic error?
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:13 pm

His back is against the floor with lines around him, indicating he's rushing forward, and in the next panel, he is springing to his feet. In that second panel, there's even a trail in the snow where he slid forward.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby SilverMudkip7 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:19 am

Maybe he was only able to slide because the floor was icy, and the upgrade in issue 19 allows him to slide anywhere.
SilverMudkip7
BumbleFan

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:33 am

Of all the cool stuff in this issue, and we're talking about his dash/run? Really? :o
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:12 pm

SilverMudkip7 wrote:Maybe he was only able to slide because the floor was icy, and the upgrade in issue 19 allows him to slide anywhere.

Herein lies the silliness. What exactly is a slide? What about it warrants requiring some kind of special robotic upgrade to perform? I mean, human baseball players can do it... So, why can't Mega Man? Did he need some kind of special upgrade so jets blast out the back of his head that propel him forward on his back? There's no logical reason Mega Man shouldn't be able to just do it, to just take a running leap forward, flop on his back, and slide along the ground. Just like X. Why shouldn't he be able to just dash forward?

They are video-game mechanics. They don't translate into into a story-driven medium like a comic book, and trying to read into them is pretty pointless. I mean, in issue #4, Mega Man ran up to a large metal slab and jumped off of it so he could reach Dr. Wily. That's not something Mega Man can do in the video-games, but X can, so are we to now say that Mega Man is now somehow predating X in his abilities? No, because it's silly to read into it. A robot should be able to triangle jump off of a piece of debris without any special mechanical upgrades or adaptive learning capabilities. If they are programmed and designed to feel cold and to cry and to generate solar energy into lemon-shaped death pellets, I think they can reasonably slide, dash, and triangle-jump without any kind of narrative justification.

And, really, the blurb in issue #19 was clearly just a fun little Easter Egg. I don't think it was intended to be read into.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Zan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 am

A robot should be able to triangle jump off of a piece of debris without any special mechanical upgrades or adaptive learning capabilities.

Kicking off of a piece of debris (ala Battle and Fighters) is not the same as the triangular jump (X-series). The triangular jump instead requires a mid-air change of trajectory. It forms, you know, a triangle.

Why shouldn't he be able to just dash forward?

While X does have the emergency acceleration system as part of his default schematics, a full power dash maneuver would put considerable strain on the user. It's not inconceivable that X is unable to perform it in his base form until at least X2 for safety reasons.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:33 pm

I think it's rather silly to think a character's development should depend on whether he can slide/dash or not.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Mega Man Monthly wrote:Herein lies the silliness. What exactly is a slide? What about it warrants requiring some kind of special robotic upgrade to perform? I mean, human baseball players can do it... So, why can't Mega Man? Did he need some kind of special upgrade so jets blast out the back of his head that propel him forward on his back? There's no logical reason Mega Man shouldn't be able to just do it, to just take a running leap forward, flop on his back, and slide along the ground. Just like X. Why shouldn't he be able to just dash forward?

Except Mega Man can stop in place and slide. Whereas a baseball player has to run and gain momentum to pull off a slide, just like every other person in the world. Mega Man can probably slide just fine like a normal human, but the speed might be slower. And if for some reason, he can't. It might be because sliding recklessly could somehow damage his legs.

It's just with that line of thought, you could argue why Mega Man needed a robot dog in the first place. When he did just fine with the Items in Mega Man 2. Light felt it necessary to personalize and compact multiple functions into one unit. Same principal with the robot slide. It was deemed an upgrade.

Humans on the otherhand can't dash forward without moving our legs, and if we can. I haven't figured it out yet.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Gonzo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Except Mega Man can stop in place and slide. Whereas a baseball player has to run and gain momentum to pull off a slide, just like every other person in the world. Mega Man can probably slide just fine like a normal human, but the speed might be slower.

Pretty sure that's a result of gameplay mechanics, because the game terrain doesn't always provide you with enough space to do a "proper" slide like that.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 am

I was sick before I could get Mega Man 37 so only got Dawn of X part 1 now.

Since I'm not a huge fan of the X side, I liked how the issue was more Mega Man's. Pharoah Man is shown as awesome once again, cool cucumber that he is. Bright Man as an explorer? Weird. Doesn't seem to have the personality for it. I totally hated his stage with the dropping platforms in the dark and he was a cheap unpredictable boss fight.

Is that spider wily walker anybody in the game? The first X wily boss was a spider (beaten by chill penguin's weapon). Coincidence?

Obviously Rock took his helmet off before the spike came, haha.

The Emerald Spears are back. Haha, he just shaved. With their repeated use, I kinda would have liked Ruby Spears to be of actual use somewhere as a term.

On the dash, I forget that it's actually an unskippable capsule in Chill's stage, right? You MUST acquire the leg pieces, unlike the other parts? Maybe X just tripped in that panel and it looked like a dash :)
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:42 am

I finally got this issue from Forbidden Planet and It was a pretty good issue. I liked X & Zero's interaction during the beginning (Again as someone who hasn't played one X game, Ian is doing a great job of making me like these characters who I barely know in the games. Anyway here's my thoughts on the issue.

+The art is great as always.
+Zero's snarky attitude towards The Emerald Spears
+Dr.Cossack's comments towards Wily, especially about his robot masters helping MM stop Wily since 20XX.
+The interaction between X,Zero, and Dr.Cain.
+The jokes, highlights being Cossack's comments to Wily and Bright Man's ''I'M SORRY, I'LL LEAVE THE PUNS TO CUT MAN!''
+Wily foreshadowing MM 4 when mentioning Cossack's daughter.
+It's a great start to the Dawn of X arc, setting up everything for a action packed arc. I can't wait to see X going against Payne and how MM will survive The Wily Walker.

-I'm not a big fan that Wily seems to be completely over the events of the last issue. I mean last issue he was considering cancelling his plans just so He'd be able to go back to Light Labs and make robots with Dr.Light once again but here, he doesn't seem to care in the slightest that he gave up building robots in Light Labs.
-Dr.Cossack seems to be the only one who finds it weird that every single trap Wily says is disabled is enabled and that Wily gave MM a activation code for the Wily Walker rather than a deactivation code.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:01 pm

FeroMcPigletron wrote:Is that spider wily walker anybody in the game?

It is original for the comic. However its design is reminiscent from Wily Machine 3 of MM3.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!