Let's say Capcom goes under. What happens to the comic?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Let's say Capcom goes under. What happens to the comic?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:24 am

So I just heard that Capcom has cut its profit margin yet again, and I thought "what if Capcom goes under? What would happen to the comic?"

What kind of precedent has there been for licensed properties when their owners go bankrupt? Do they tend to continue if a property is bought by another company or do they tend to just disappear?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: Let's say Capcom goes under. What happens to the comic?

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:34 am

The license gets pulled, more than likely.

That said, bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean the end of a business.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 am

And ten thousands of fans will rage and froth at the mouth. Again...
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:52 am

I'm not a lawyer, but it might be possible for the comic to continue in perpetuity until such time that a new owner for the property is found and a new licensing agreement is either drawn up or falls through. It would probably depend on how quickly such a thing were to happen, though; say Capcom declared bankruptcy in May, and immediately went into negotiations with other parties to sell off assets and reached a deal to sell Mega Man to Party X in September, Archie might be able to continue during the interim and have to draw up a new agreement once the property is in new hands.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:24 pm

It might also depend on how long Archie has licensed the rights to a Mega Man comic book for. If Archie bought the rights that ended/needed renewal in say 2018 and Capcom suddenly dies in 2015, Archie might be able to continue publishing what they paid for and only forced to stop after.

That said, I'm not familiar with how comics ordinarily work, I'm applying TV rights to this example.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:25 pm

SEGA did allow Archie to make Sonic comics without an agreement for a few months during the Pendering, if I read correctly.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 pm

All copies of the Mega Man comic will be gathered up and sent promptly via rocket to the moon.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Spin wrote:All copies of the Mega Man comic will be gathered up and sent promptly via rocket to the moon.

Hey, Megaman Trigger could use those comics for entertainment.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby CaleTheCat » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:52 pm

LilacDownDeep wrote:
Spin wrote:All copies of the Mega Man comic will be gathered up and sent promptly via rocket to the moon.

Hey, Megaman Trigger could use those comics for entertainment.

I assume you mean all Archie Mega Man comics, 'cause if we would send ALL different Mega Man comics to moon...

Spoiler: show
...Megaman Trigger might attack all the princess' of the world, 'cause of certain... character...
CaleTheCat
BumbleClan

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 am

Just going to go with the general consensus thus far and say that I think they will proceed for some period of time immediately following any sort of CAPCOM shutdown occurs.

The length of that period of time is the fuzzy part. They may only push out the issues that are completed and ready to go and immediately stop working on new material. They could also continue until their agreement was supposed to expire (assuming said agreement is not made void by the legal proceedings of CAPCOM). They could also continue the comic without interruption should the Mega Man property be sold off to another company and said company maintains the agreement and even renews when it ends.

Basically, I think we would get Mega Man comics for at least a couple months after CAPCOM went belly up, but for how long and under what circumstances is highly dependent on the circumstances.
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:58 am

Also while they may continue during the buying process, a new contract would have to be signed up with the new company so at least at some point the comic would be in danger of halting at least temporarily. Licensing gets complicated when you add in things like buyouts and transfer conditions and that sort of thing.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:21 pm

If Capcom goes down, Archie should ask Comcept for license to a Mighty No.9 comic (first as a prologue series, then an official series after the game's been released for at least half a year).
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:50 am

Penguin God wrote:Also while they may continue during the buying process, a new contract would have to be signed up with the new company so at least at some point the comic would be in danger of halting at least temporarily. Licensing gets complicated when you add in things like buyouts and transfer conditions and that sort of thing.

I would imagine TPBs would be hard to sell with all those other capcom references in the comics.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Jazzy76 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:"What if Capcom goes under?"

You should've spoilered it, now Marvel can't use it when they run out of ideas for "What if" :D.
Spoiler: show
What if Marvel went under.jpg
Jazzy76
BumbleKnight

Postby SurrealBrain » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:16 am

Not the best image that could have been picked, since it has characters from Sega and Bandai Namco as well.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!