BKC Forum - Death Throes

Information Hub. MANDATORY READING WITHIN!
Rules, FAQs and More

Re: BKC Forum - Death Throes

Postby SurrealBrain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Garet wrote:I'm finding the first pages of threads aren't actually the first pages.

Edit: this thread for example: http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7309

Yup. It claims I created that page, but the first post was a reply to posts that apparently no longer exist.

On another note, I found a thread with zero posts. It was deleted because it was a mistake, but I still see evidence that it existed once upon a time.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 am

BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:52 am

BillNoSpoilers wrote:Mods, you may wanna see this.

This is not the thread for that sort of thing. This is for reporting problems and bugs. That's twice now we've had to point this out to you. Quit it.

General update while I'm posting: no progress, I'm afraid. I still need to fix the access to the FTP, and there's too much going on right now for me to look into it yet. Thanks for your patience, folks.

UPDATE: Well, as soon as I post that, I get the FTP working again. Huzzah! I still need the server admin to set some things up for me, but there's been at least one teeny step forward.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby linebyline » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Hey, progress is progress! Thanks for the update.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 am

Ian Flynn wrote:UPDATE: Well, as soon as I post that, I get the FTP working again. Huzzah! I still need the server admin to set some things up for me, but there's been at least one teeny step forward.

That's good news Mr. Flynn! And if you get lucky, then you might be able to make more progress and save this forum, meaning that you won't have to make a new one! :D
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:24 pm

NiTROACTiVE wrote:
Ian Flynn wrote:UPDATE: Well, as soon as I post that, I get the FTP working again. Huzzah! I still need the server admin to set some things up for me, but there's been at least one teeny step forward.

That's good news Mr. Flynn! And if you get lucky, then you might be able to make more progress and save this forum, meaning that you won't have to make a new one! :D

I dunno - for the preliminary look, it's worse than I thought. Eight years of server moves and improper set-up (because I didn't know what I was doing and had no help) has left the databases of this thing a mess.

If we move to a new forum, I'll save as much as I can. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Scruffy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Okay, so I've just noticed a new problem. The links you get from the PM function don't seem to be working properly. Here are two examples from the Posts of Awesomeness thread. If you click on them, you'll see you go to an entirely different page than the one the quote came from.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:Another Clip.

Holy crap original footage what is this I don't even? Also the Red Lion hit them so hard it knocked them into powers never before seen on this earth.

The combined shock of the original footage and the swipe from Red Lion knocked the budget right out of them for a moment.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Voting LBD Nytetrayn From It's Morphin' Time! (Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread)

EvanStanley wrote:Image

Sonic in disguise or Uncle Chuck? You make the call!

Fandom Creative Corner (Original Thread), 27/2/2014
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby SurrealBrain » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Seems to work fine for me, so maybe you or someone else is doing something wrong. Apologies if that sounded rude.

EDIT: I'm convinced someone just put in the wrong links.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Scruffy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:33 pm

SurrealBrain wrote:Seems to work fine for me, so maybe you or someone else is doing something wrong. Apologies if that sounded rude.

EDIT: I'm convinced someone just put in the wrong links.

If it had just been one other person, I probably would have agreed with you. But I checked and double checked my own link several times and found it went to the wrong page, even before I posted it.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Daisetsu » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:07 am

It happens on a few other threads, as well. And it seems to just be the top 4 or 5 posts that link to the wrong page.

I think it's just one of those hiccups the forum is suffering through right now.

Also, I have to wonder why you go through PMs (no, not PMS) to get the link when you can just copy the post link from the little page icon next to the post's date.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby Scruffy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:27 am

Daisetsu wrote:It happens on a few other threads, as well. And it seems to just be the top 4 or 5 posts that link to the wrong page.

I think it's just one of those hiccups the forum is suffering through right now.

Also, I have to wonder why you go through PMs (no, not PMS) to get the link when you can just copy the post link from the little page icon next to the post's date.

Well when it works, the link you get from the PM button will take you to the direct post you're interested in, rather than just the top of the page.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby BigIslandYU2 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:34 am

Scruffy wrote:
Daisetsu wrote:It happens on a few other threads, as well. And it seems to just be the top 4 or 5 posts that link to the wrong page.

Well when it works, the link you get from the PM button will take you to the direct post you're interested in, rather than just the top of the page.

I'm not sure if this would lead to the problem, but when I make (or used to make, more like) nominations, I'd "quote" the post, and then cancel it. The HTML link in my browser would then link directly to the post I was nominating. A bit time-consuming, but it works.
BigIslandYU2
BumbleNoble

Postby Daisetsu » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Oh yeah, I just realized that this problem has been around since last year. The exact same thing happens when you click the "view first unread post" icon, it takes you to the page prior to the one the new post is on. And, as I said earlier, it only happens for some threads.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:57 am

Anyone else seeing a phantom thread in "For Everlasting Peace"?

I click on "Stuff Get! (Mega Man merchandise thread)", but it only takes me to "The requested topic does not exist."

Wouldn't even bother me, except it keeps registering as an unread thread on the forum I couldn't clear out until I hit "mark all threads as read."

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby CaleTheCat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:21 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Anyone else seeing a phantom thread in "For Everlasting Peace"?

I click on "Stuff Get! (Mega Man merchandise thread)", but it only takes me to "The requested topic does not exist."

Wouldn't even bother me, except it keeps registering as an unread thread on the forum I couldn't clear out until I hit "mark all threads as read."

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yeah, I see it too... Too bad, Bill. Too bad...
CaleTheCat
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to BumbleKnowledgebase