The S-ports Thread: Re-Releases and Ports of Sonic Games

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic 2 re-release & Sonic ASRT for iOS & other devices

Postby Daisetsu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:00 am

Well, it was just released on iOS. Unfortunately, I don't have an iProduct so I can't play it, but looking at the app store it has a boss attack mode. So yay for that!

Also, special stages are 3D (or at least look 3D).

Edit: Just took a look at the iPad screenshots; someone left their debug on.

Edit deux:
Stealth wrote:Alright, so, here's a thing

Version 3.0.0, out now on iOS, actually has a few noticeable bugs that managed to slip through the cracks during the final push. We caught and were able to fix them before release, but not before approval. Due to the way the updates process works, the fix had to go into queue instead of directly supplanting the original submission, and should be along shortly. As for the Android version, the first release should already contain these fixes

This doesn't stop progression or anything, but I figure you guys might want to know ahead of time that you might notice a few issues on the initial iOS update rather than leaving it as a surprise. To the best of my recollection, these include:
- Access to the HTZ boss is blocked, though the level can be completed
- One of the achievements will not unlock
Hidden Palace:
Spoiler: show
- Hidden Palace will not be added to Time Attack when it's completed

Other:
- There are some inconsistencies in reported stats for 2P vs mode

Sorry about all that.. Still, hope you all have fun with this!

Edit tres:
Saw the end of the game on Twitch. Sonic 3 confirmed. Unless I'm getting ahead of myself, that is.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:52 am

I just got this game and can confirm the special stage half-pipes are not just sprites anymore.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:35 pm

It's cool that they went back and gave Tails the ability to fly, but I think they should've gone back and tweaked some of the level designs to accommodate for it. I've found that it's easy in quite a few levels to bypass practically everything by flying, and in Aquatic Ruin and Hill Top Zone I've found that's it's even possible to bypass the boss fights...
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:38 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:It's cool that they went back and gave Tails the ability to fly, but I think they should've gone back and tweaked some of the level designs to accommodate for it. I've found that it's easy in quite a few levels to bypass practically everything by flying, and in Aquatic Ruin and Hill Top Zone I've found that's it's even possible to bypass the boss fights...

Well you could bypass the Aquatic Ruin boss with Knuckles in the original if you knew what you were doing.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby theJcfreak » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm not seeing Sonic 2 yet in my Google Play store. It is out, right?
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

theJcfreak wrote:I'm not seeing Sonic 2 yet in my Google Play store. It is out, right?

It is, you just have to go to Sega of America's page.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Guess how you reach Hidden Palace Zone.

Guess.

The Mystic Cave inescapable spike pit.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Daisetsu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:07 pm

therealfalconpawnch7 wrote:
theJcfreak wrote:I'm not seeing Sonic 2 yet in my Google Play store. It is out, right?

It is, you just have to go to Sega of America's page.

Or just click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ega.sonic2
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try to pick it up tomorrow. :)
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Playing on Android tablet, and noticing that this game does NOT like tight spaces. Getting killed by those a lot more than normal. Once by simply climbing up on a ledge in Oil Ocean.

Controls are okay; I find they're a bit higher on the tablet than I'd like, and I wish I could adjust the size of the control pad and jump button independently. Larger pad is trickier to use, and a smaller button is easier to miss. Playing is just overall more of a conscious effort.

Found the halfpipe, if not the game in general, just trickier to control.

Graphics and sound are great. The sound of two platforms hitting each other in Mystic Cave is one I don't remember hearing in a long time, if it was ever there.

Can't access Hidden Palace from the stage select, for some reason. Same stage select code as Sonic 1 for iOS works, and the Super Sonic code from Sonic 2 seems to work.

New stinger at the end is cool, as is allowing Tails to fly.

Had an enemy disappear on me at one point, Knuckles walking partway through a wall/floor, and I think the lightning bugs don't flicker like they did originally, making them harder to tell when they're going off.

Noticed some added effects in the background of Metropolis, if I'm not mistaken, where panels have more of a glow/fade effect.

Speaking of Metropolis, the pistons aren't set right: You come upon them in the "up" position, where you fall into the gap they normally occupy, making them a greater hazard.

Those are my thoughts.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Daisetsu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:51 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:The sound of two platforms hitting each other in Mystic Cave is one I don't remember hearing in a long time, if it was ever there.

If it's the swinging platforms you're talking about, that sound has always been there.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Can't access Hidden Palace from the stage select, for some reason. Same stage select code as Sonic 1 for iOS works, and the Super Sonic code from Sonic 2 seems to work.

I believe you have to turn on debug mode for it to work, just like in S3&K.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Daisetsu wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:The sound of two platforms hitting each other in Mystic Cave is one I don't remember hearing in a long time, if it was ever there.

If it's the swinging platforms you're talking about, that sound has always been there.

Yeah, it just seemed more pronounced now.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Can't access Hidden Palace from the stage select, for some reason. Same stage select code as Sonic 1 for iOS works, and the Super Sonic code from Sonic 2 seems to work.

I believe you have to turn on debug mode for it to work, just like in S3&K.

It made the sound without it, I guess I'll have to check. The original didn't require that, though.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Staf » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:06 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Controls are okay; I find they're a bit higher on the tablet than I'd like, and I wish I could adjust the size of the control pad and jump button independently. Larger pad is trickier to use, and a smaller button is easier to miss. Playing is just overall more of a conscious effort.
--LBD "Nytetrayn"

If you go into settings and then controls you can individually move each control pad around on the screen.
Staf
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 am

Staf wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Controls are okay; I find they're a bit higher on the tablet than I'd like, and I wish I could adjust the size of the control pad and jump button independently. Larger pad is trickier to use, and a smaller button is easier to miss. Playing is just overall more of a conscious effort.
--LBD "Nytetrayn"

If you go into settings and then controls you can individually move each control pad around on the screen.

Oh? I don't think they let you know of that... I'll give it a try! Still wish I could independently size them, though.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Staf » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:21 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Staf wrote:If you go into settings and then controls you can individually move each control pad around on the screen.

Oh? I don't think they let you know of that... I'll give it a try! Still wish I could independently size them, though.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Sonic 1 and Sonic CD also let you do that, if it helps at all.
Staf
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius