Endangered Species #244 Remake: PAGE ONE IS UP

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

Re: Endangered Species #244 Remake: PAGE ONE IS UP

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 pm

That's quite impressive. Really solid page there, particularly in the art department. Yeah, it's very similar to Dubs in terms of its cartoony-ness, but I like it. A fun way of showcasing the characters. Good job on this despite all the setbacks you guys went through, I'll be sure to see the next page whenever you can put it out. Good luck!
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Illustrious Q » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:31 pm

The art is good, but is one thing about that it that is a slight problem. There is no real depth to the piece. Yes, I know you look at the current page and you can see there is some depth, the character don't seem flat, but that is more due to what the colorist was able to accomplish than The Mobian's original pencils.

Seriously, go back a couple of pages and compare the original pencils to the finished product. The page is flat.

I am well aware that paper is flat. That is beside the point.

Even Dub's art suffered from this when he started out on StH… then again his art is still kind of like that when you look at his set of off panels, but I get the feeling that that is more of a stylistic choice for the gag strips than a super serious attempt as sequential art story telling.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Dejimon11 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Not bad you guys
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Luger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 am

Amazing job you guys, I can't wait to see the rest of this. :)
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby BigIslandYU2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:33 am

*walks in after long absence*
Hey, folks! How's the ole KreativeKo--
*sees comic page of epic amazingness*
Seriously, that's for all you incredible people, and I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner!
Wow, just, [img]WOW![/img] I can hardly wait until you guys turn pro, because I'm sure it will happen! Way to make my night (morning? bah...)!
BigIslandYU2
BumbleNoble

Postby Julayla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I'll be honest: The page looks amazing. Great work.
Julayla
BumbleFan

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Okey-dokey, now that page one is up, it's time to start working on the next one.

Buuut...we have no inker. :( So, again, the call goes out: anyone who wants to digitally ink a page or two, please send me a PM or post here. We need help! Nevermind
The Shadow Emperor

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Just a little update: the second page has just been sent to Simon for coloring.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby behellmorph » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Oh niiiiice.
I can't wait to see the rest, This looks great.
behellmorph
BumbleCitizen

Postby ClareSilver47 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I normally don't check the Bumble Korner that much, but Knuckles looks like he's eating the ring in that top panel
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 am

ClareSilver47 wrote:I normally don't check the Bumble Korner that much, but Knuckles looks like he's eating the ring in that top panel

Poor Knuckles just wants to eat his glazed donut in peace, why does everyone keep making him use it as a strangely donut-like teleporter? >:U

Illustrious Q wrote:The art is good, but is one thing about that it that is a slight problem. There is no real depth to the piece. Yes, I know you look at the current page and you can see there is some depth, the character don't seem flat, but that is more due to what the colorist was able to accomplish than The Mobian's original pencils.

Seriously, go back a couple of pages and compare the original pencils to the finished product. The page is flat.

Even Dub's art suffered from this when he started out on StH… then again his art is still kind of like that when you look at his set of off panels, but I get the feeling that that is more of a stylistic choice for the gag strips than a super serious attempt as sequential art story telling.

Thanks for the critique Q, its always much appreciated.
I certainly see what you are getting at with saying my art looks flat, as I have had one or two other people repeat those same words to me in the past. However, I have yet to hear from anyone about what actually MAKES it look flat to them, and what said people think I could do to make it look LESS flat.
I can't really try and improve at making my worlds seem more three dimensional until I know what it is thats causing the problem, and how I can fix it. =/

DabigRG wrote:
streetsonic13 wrote:The whole artwork reminded me of Dub's work! Great job, guys! Can't wait for the next pages!

I thought it was him at first. Anyway, good job mimicing the comic's general feel.

You people flatter me XP
*gets flattened by a cement roller*

Shadowthehedgehog wrote:Artwork seems a little too chibi, but otherwise good.

Perhaps, but I would never change my style to make it less Chibi. I enjoy making my art look cute, and if its not cute, I can never seem to be happy with it.

Besides, I have tried to draw things that aren't cute before.... it doesn't work ._. They always end up looking cute anyway XD
Its like I'm cursed with everlasting cute artwork @_@
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby ClareSilver47 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:37 am

Ok, Mobs, your art looks flat cuz of the perspective and proportion of your art makes it look that way. Your characters are all very close in size and the isn't a feel of depth between them, and the walls. Remember that to make things in the background look like they have depth is to angle them slightly, and to give them textures that make them pop out. In other words, if you had drawn the wall to back away at a more obvious and sharper angle, and drawn the characters accordingly, it might make the page look different.

Picking up a 3-D perspective book might help you a lot
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby SimonSays » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:28 pm

TheMobian wrote:
ClareSilver47 wrote:I normally don't check the Bumble Korner that much, but Knuckles looks like he's eating the ring in that top panel

Poor Knuckles just wants to eat his glazed donut in peace, why does everyone keep making him use it as a strangely donut-like teleporter? >:U

I doodle on my projects while I'm working on them sometimes, and I'm serious when I tell you it was colored in like a Funyun for the longest time.

Illustrious Q wrote:The art is good, but is one thing about that it that is a slight problem. There is no real depth to the piece. Yes, I know you look at the current page and you can see there is some depth, the character don't seem flat, but that is more due to what the colorist was able to accomplish than The Mobian's original pencils.

I certainly see what you are getting at with saying my art looks flat, as I have had one or two other people repeat those same words to me in the past. However, I have yet to hear from anyone about what actually MAKES it look flat to them, and what said people think I could do to make it look LESS flat.
I can't really try and improve at making my worlds seem more three dimensional until I know what it is thats causing the problem, and how I can fix it. =/

I think I can answer this one, because I was thinking about it earlier when Q brought it up. I think the problem is mostly the camera angles. Both in your style, and in Dubs' art, and even in a lot of Disney comics, a lot of the time the camera seems to be fixed at the front, like people facing a stage, y'know? You rarely see the characters from above, or foreshortened, or what have you. It tends to always be in comic-strip mode. I think looking at something like Bone where the characters are really toonified and adorable, but the environments are still really rich and open and epic could be a good place to start looking to solve the problem.

I like how cutesy your style is, but maybe working on the environments and panel angles would help make it feel more adventure- and action-ready?

EDIT: Oops, I scrolled past Clare's post by accident and didn't see it. (sorry) Basically what she said.
But while I'm at it, Bodie Troll from Red 5 Comics was another series that reminded me of your style a lot, and might be an example of how to incorporate more depth in the panels.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:31 am

SimonSays wrote:
TheMobian wrote:

I doodle on my projects while I'm working on them sometimes, and I'm serious when I tell you it was colored in like a Funyun for the longest time.

:(hearty laughter):
SimonSays wrote:

I think I can answer this one, because I was thinking about it earlier when Q brought it up. I think the problem is mostly the camera angles. Both in your style, and in Dubs' art, and even in a lot of Disney comics, a lot of the time the camera seems to be fixed at the front, like people facing a stage, y'know? You rarely see the characters from above, or foreshortened, or what have you. It tends to always be in comic-strip mode. I think looking at something like Bone where the characters are really toonified and adorable, but the environments are still really rich and open and epic could be a good place to start looking to solve the problem.

I like how cutesy your style is, but maybe working on the environments and panel angles would help make it feel more adventure- and action-ready?

EDIT: Oops, I scrolled past Clare's post by accident and didn't see it. (sorry) Basically what she said.
But while I'm at it, Bodie Troll from Red 5 Comics was another series that reminded me of your style a lot, and might be an example of how to incorporate more depth in the panels.

Wow, thanks so much for the advice Simon! And you too CareSilver! =D

I know about Bone, and have referenced it on a number of occasions in the past, but I have never heard of this Bodie Troll comic, and after looking it up, I agree I really like the art style XP

I can certainly work harder on creating richer environments and camera angles, but the latter will most certainly be a hard adjustment to make. Mainly because "Comic Strip mode" really is my forte, and Unless there is an epic fight scene going on or something, I prefer to try and keep it relatively stage-based.
Still, if its a way I can improve my art, I'm not going to hold back just because I like my comic strip mode XP

I'll be sure to work on these things you guys suggested to me right away! Of course its not going to effect the upcoming ESR pages now because I actually finished drawing them a number of months ago, but still, thank you again for the advice! =)
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:15 am

Okay I wasn't expecting to like that but it's looking good so far and I love Mobian's art.

I mostly wasn't expecting to enjoy it due to well the reaction ShadowEmp had to Archie being put into a no win situation. I still don't agree with his views of "Characters I like are gone drop the book without reading the first arc to see how things play out" but I am liking this alternate take on Endangered Species.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner