Capcom in dire financial straits

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 pm

megamanmonthly wrote:
ClareSilver47 wrote:Though I do wish Sega would advertise something aside from Sonic and Street Fighter.

Wait, what?

Agreed. Street Fighter is a Capcom property.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Razorsaw wrote:Either way, Capcom made money off the deal. That's how retail works; the retailers pay Capcom for the stock and put it on their shelves.

I wonder what their return policy, if any, is on unsold product...

In any case-- or especially if they don't have one-- it can make retailers more wary about how much they order of other product as well.

There are other factors to consider as well, but that's enough for the moment.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I wondered the same. As far as I can tell, unsold product doesn't get sent back to and refunded by the publisher... it gets sold to a liquidation company or gets marked down for clearance. But... stores aren't going to order more units if they can't sell the ones they ordered in the first place, so the trick is to get a ton of first-day units (through preorder sales and general hype), and then continue to sell the game so that stores need to replenish their stock (which you achieve by just making a good game in the first place). Eventually, stores will reach a point when no one is buying the game anymore... And, I would imagine that's when publishers choose to stop printing the game. Based on this, I would say the game's success is determined not just by how many units are pushed, but also by how much of a gap there is between the release date and the day when stores stop replenishing their stock. Like, sure, we pushed 4 million units on day one, but over the course of the year, we printed and sold 10 million more before the demand stopped. (Just making numbers up here.)

I think this is why Resident Evil 6 flopped. The game had a very strong release because it got a ton of preorders and Capcom hyped the heck out of it... but, it just didn't have any staying power. It got a huge price cut very early on, too... probably in hopes of upping the demand.

This is merely my own personal theory, though. I really don't know much about the inner workings of the industry.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Dejimon11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:51 pm

This just in monster hunter 4 for the 3DS sold 2 Million copies in Japan within 2 days numbers are expected to increase within the next few days so theyre good. As for Resident Evil 6 it sold well it just didnt reach their expectations. oh and SEGA about Atlus so expect SMT and Persona games to bomb in sales due to poor promotion
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I think it's a moot point either way. Monster Hunter is HUGE in Japan. It's gonna sell well no matter what.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby ClareSilver47 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Eh, me getting Street Fighter and Tekkan mixed up is bound to happen. I never really paid attention to those games, cuz you know... I suck
I have Project X Zone, but that doesn't help since the two games are mixed

*actually looks through Wikipedia*
Ok... Sega doesn't make those fighting games, though I know for a fact that they make a crap ton of racing games, many of which I actually enjoy
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby EvilEddie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

If you mean the Sonic and SEGA All Stars racing games SEGA didn't make those, they licensed them to Sumo Digital.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby ClareSilver47 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:29 pm

EvilEddie wrote:If you mean the Sonic and SEGA All Stars racing games SEGA didn't make those, they licensed them to Sumo Digital.

I was talking about the ones you see in arcades
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby AnimeCwboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:02 pm

ClareSilver47 wrote:Eh, me getting Street Fighter and Tekkan mixed up is bound to happen. I never really paid attention to those games, cuz you know... I suck

Ok... Sega doesn't make those fighting games, though I know for a fact that they make a crap ton of racing games, many of which I actually enjoy

(hearty laughter) in regards to characters in PXZ, SEGA's fighting games are Virtua Fighter(Akira and Pei) and Fighting Vipers (Bahn)
AnimeCwboy
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:20 am

AnimeCwboy wrote:
ClareSilver47 wrote:Eh, me getting Street Fighter and Tekkan mixed up is bound to happen. I never really paid attention to those games, cuz you know... I suck

(hearty laughter) in regards to characters in PXZ, SEGA's fighting games are Virtua Fighter(Akira and Pei) and Fighting Vipers (Bahn)

Don't beat 'em ups count as fighting games? Theres Dynamite Cop and that guy from the House of The Dead beat 'em up.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am

I wouldn't say they're the same, no... but the characters can easily transition from one to the other, which often happens with Street Fighter and Final Fight.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!