Capcom in dire financial straits

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 pm

megamanmonthly wrote:
ClareSilver47 wrote:Though I do wish Sega would advertise something aside from Sonic and Street Fighter.

Wait, what?

Agreed. Street Fighter is a Capcom property.
User avatar
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Razorsaw wrote:Either way, Capcom made money off the deal. That's how retail works; the retailers pay Capcom for the stock and put it on their shelves.


I wonder what their return policy, if any, is on unsold product...

In any case-- or especially if they don't have one-- it can make retailers more wary about how much they order of other product as well.

There are other factors to consider as well, but that's enough for the moment.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I wondered the same. As far as I can tell, unsold product doesn't get sent back to and refunded by the publisher... it gets sold to a liquidation company or gets marked down for clearance. But... stores aren't going to order more units if they can't sell the ones they ordered in the first place, so the trick is to get a ton of first-day units (through preorder sales and general hype), and then continue to sell the game so that stores need to replenish their stock (which you achieve by just making a good game in the first place). Eventually, stores will reach a point when no one is buying the game anymore... And, I would imagine that's when publishers choose to stop printing the game. Based on this, I would say the game's success is determined not just by how many units are pushed, but also by how much of a gap there is between the release date and the day when stores stop replenishing their stock. Like, sure, we pushed 4 million units on day one, but over the course of the year, we printed and sold 10 million more before the demand stopped. (Just making numbers up here.)

I think this is why Resident Evil 6 flopped. The game had a very strong release because it got a ton of preorders and Capcom hyped the heck out of it... but, it just didn't have any staying power. It got a huge price cut very early on, too... probably in hopes of upping the demand.

This is merely my own personal theory, though. I really don't know much about the inner workings of the industry.
User avatar
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby Dejimon11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:51 pm

This just in monster hunter 4 for the 3DS sold 2 Million copies in Japan within 2 days numbers are expected to increase within the next few days so theyre good. As for Resident Evil 6 it sold well it just didnt reach their expectations. oh and SEGA about Atlus so expect SMT and Persona games to bomb in sales due to poor promotion
User avatar
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1814
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby Razorsaw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I think it's a moot point either way. Monster Hunter is HUGE in Japan. It's gonna sell well no matter what.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby ClareSilver47 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Eh, me getting Street Fighter and Tekkan mixed up is bound to happen. I never really paid attention to those games, cuz you know... I suck
I have Project X Zone, but that doesn't help since the two games are mixed

*actually looks through Wikipedia*
Ok... Sega doesn't make those fighting games, though I know for a fact that they make a crap ton of racing games, many of which I actually enjoy
User avatar
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding from the Gore Magala

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby EvilEddie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

If you mean the Sonic and SEGA All Stars racing games SEGA didn't make those, they licensed them to Sumo Digital.
User avatar
EvilEddie
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby ClareSilver47 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:29 pm

EvilEddie wrote:If you mean the Sonic and SEGA All Stars racing games SEGA didn't make those, they licensed them to Sumo Digital.

I was talking about the ones you see in arcades
User avatar
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding from the Gore Magala

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby AnimeCwboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:02 pm

ClareSilver47 wrote:Eh, me getting Street Fighter and Tekkan mixed up is bound to happen. I never really paid attention to those games, cuz you know... I suck
I have Project X Zone, but that doesn't help since the two games are mixed

*actually looks through Wikipedia*
Ok... Sega doesn't make those fighting games, though I know for a fact that they make a crap ton of racing games, many of which I actually enjoy


(hearty laughter) in regards to characters in PXZ, SEGA's fighting games are Virtua Fighter(Akira and Pei) and Fighting Vipers (Bahn)
User avatar
AnimeCwboy
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:20 am

AnimeCwboy wrote:
ClareSilver47 wrote:Eh, me getting Street Fighter and Tekkan mixed up is bound to happen. I never really paid attention to those games, cuz you know... I suck
I have Project X Zone, but that doesn't help since the two games are mixed

*actually looks through Wikipedia*
Ok... Sega doesn't make those fighting games, though I know for a fact that they make a crap ton of racing games, many of which I actually enjoy


(hearty laughter) in regards to characters in PXZ, SEGA's fighting games are Virtua Fighter(Akira and Pei) and Fighting Vipers (Bahn)


Don't beat 'em ups count as fighting games? Theres Dynamite Cop and that guy from the House of The Dead beat 'em up.
User avatar
ReifuTD
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am

I wouldn't say they're the same, no... but the characters can easily transition from one to the other, which often happens with Street Fighter and Final Fight.
User avatar
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron