Capcom in dire financial straits

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Capcom in dire financial straits

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:25 pm

GameBuddy wrote:If by "rough history" you mean Gearbox effed over every party involved and "stole" money to develop for Borderlands 2.

Nuts I forgot about that. Shouldn't have bought borderlands 2
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ClareSilver47 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:31 pm

*reads through thread*
Sega still produces a lot of games people are willing to buy. And with its partnerships with Nintendo, Sega gets advertisements with little effort. From what I can gather, a lot of arcades have mostly games produced by Sega, Sonic is still a very popular as a video game icon thus little kids are willing to buy the games, Mega Man is exceedingly difficult so that puts off many people, and Capcom never advertises, unlike Sega where if I bother to watch the Saturday Morning Cartoons, about 2 weeks after a new Sonic game has been released, I see a commercial every 30 minutes. If it's a Sonic & Mario, it's every 20.
Though honestly, the game that had the most advertising would be Shadow the Hedgehog, since you couldn't get through one show without seeing an ad at least twice. This went on for a full month, so I mainly like Shadow because those ads engraved it into my mind...
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 pm

In my life I think I've only ever seen one or two Capcom related ads. That was the major problem with Capcom's third party titles like Okami and Viewtiful Joe.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Dejimon11 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm

ClareSilver47 wrote:*reads through thread*
Sega still produces a lot of games people are willing to buy. And with its partnerships with Nintendo, Sega gets advertisements with little effort. From what I can gather, a lot of arcades have mostly games produced by Sega, Sonic is still a very popular as a video game icon thus little kids are willing to buy the games, Mega Man is exceedingly difficult so that puts off many people, and Capcom never advertises, unlike Sega where if I bother to watch the Saturday Morning Cartoons, about 2 weeks after a new Sonic game has been released, I see a commercial every 30 minutes. If it's a Sonic & Mario, it's every 20.
Though honestly, the game that had the most advertising would be Shadow the Hedgehog, since you couldn't get through one show without seeing an ad at least twice. This went on for a full month, so I mainly like Shadow because those ads engraved it into my mind...

Keep in mind that SEGA had economic problems last year due to poor sales. The problem with sega is like Capcom they suck at advertising their stuff that isn't their main sellers like binary domain, Nights, arnarcy regins etc. sega hates everything that isn't sonic, football manager and license stuff
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby SurrealBrain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes, Capcom needs to advertise stuff that isn't Resident Evil.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SurrealBrain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Yeah, more advertising is totally key.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Well, not that way.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby ClareSilver47 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm just saying that at least Sega advertises their stuff, sometimes
Capcom isn't as well known among children. Put Mega Man, Sonic, and Mario next to each other, you're going to get some kids confused over Mega Man. They often put Mario with Sonic AND Link. It's actually sort of a good thing that Mega Man is going to be in the next Super Smash, it means he'll be more recognized by the younger generation.

Though I do wish Sega would advertise something aside from Sonic and Street Fighter. House of the Dead is kind of played out, though it is still a good arcade game
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby AnimeCwboy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:04 am

I can't say SEGA actually MAKES good games outside of Sonic with Sonic Team (and that's hit/miss to be honest). Remember there's a difference between developing and publishing. SASRT was developed by Sumo Digital, which is an outsourced Dev in Europe. Gearbox was mentioned earlier. Avalanche with Renegade Ops also comes to mind. SEGA's become more of a publisher in my eyes than a developer, which is sad. Makes me wonder how big a Kickstarter would have to be to buy SEGA back from Sammy.
AnimeCwboy
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:56 am

ClareSilver47 wrote: House of the Dead is kind of played out, though it is still a good arcade game

I was hopping that they would do another Overkill game that picks up from were the last one left off.

Since Archie is doing mature zombie comics now, I love to see them do their take on the House of the Dead series. But Capcom would be more likly to give Residant Evil to Archie then SEGA giving them House of the Dead. PS my top choice for Capcom game that Archie should make into a comic next would be Phoenix Wright.

:? dang, I don't think I ever seen a Phoenix Wright commercial out side the internet.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Razorsaw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:47 am

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/0 ... _four_days

Yeah, uh.

I think Capcom's gonna be just fine.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:26 am

"Shipped," not "sold," which has a slight difference as I recall.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby AnimeCwboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:54 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:"Shipped," not "sold," which has a slight difference as I recall.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Shipped = Confirmed sitting on a store shelf
Sold = Confirmed sales to consumers

It's also a factor of cost of development, which any mass online multiplayer game like Monster Hunter is going to have a higher production time and development cost than a basic, linear single-player game. So when you have a standard price of $60, it's going to come down to how much of that you are actually making in profit and how many units you sell. Generally you're not going to hear about how much a game cost to make though, unless it can used to a PR advantage like GTA5 ($137.5 million).
AnimeCwboy
BumbleFan

Postby Razorsaw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 am

Either way, Capcom made money off the deal. That's how retail works; the retailers pay Capcom for the stock and put it on their shelves.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 am

ClareSilver47 wrote:Though I do wish Sega would advertise something aside from Sonic and Street Fighter.

Wait, what?
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!