Ask Ian for Jan'09 - New Year, Old Favorite

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby DoKnowButchie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 am

1) You have mentioned that you imagine Dr. Eggman sounding like a mixture of Mike Pollock and his Japanese VA. Does this voice still apply when he had his original body, or do "Julian" and "Eggman" have fundamentally different voices? If they're different, is it apparent to the characters in the comic?

2) Is Snively's love of ice hockey (as seen in StH #33) still canon? Do you have any plans to bring it up, ever?

3) Has the (presumably destroyed) technolotree been replicated within New Mobotropolis, or has it been replaced with the monitor board seen in StH #181? If so, would you say one is more effective than the other?
DoKnowButchie
BumbleFan

Postby Penpen2nd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 pm

1. Is there any chance of Archie releasing the Sonic Universe comic in graphic novel format?
Penpen2nd
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicGTR » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:05 am

Hey Ian. I was wondering about something way back in issue #178.
(I tried to look and answer this question myself, but I had no luck. Sorry if this was already discussed.)
It involved King Max (could we still call him that? Or does he go by a new title now that he is retired?) questioning Sonic's loyalty and ended with him saying: "HRM... I suppose." Is there any meaning behind those words or is it just a throw-away line?
SonicGTR
BumbleNewbie

Postby SLJCOAAATR » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 am

1) For #200, can we expect a big collection of the cast?

2) Can we expect to see Cream, or Big in the near future? I think the last time Big was seen, was the issue around 3.5 years ago, in a side-story where the cast put on a play for kids. Big was Eggman, Knuckles was Sonic, and Sonic was Sally (I think...) I believe this was also the issue where Mina had been visiting, and Fiona swhowed a slight interest in Sonic, though with Tails. Maybe I'm mixing things up...

3) Speaking of Mina, any plans for her, and Ash sometime soon?

4) Around what issues can we expect to see Omega, and Nega?

5) When Nega appears, could we expect Johnny, Whisker, etc.? Having Ifrit there, could help expand on Shadow's past in the comics.

6) Any hints, or telling when to expect the answer to the "traitor" Silver speaks of, or the person Snively's been talking to?

7) Any plans to delve more into Bunnie?

8) What kind of plots could we expect to see in '09?

9) Any plans for a Silver/Blazeplot?

10) Will we be seeing more Metal Sonic?

11) Any plans to give Amy a larger role?

12) Plans of using Fang, Bean, and Bark again?

13) Will Bark EVER talk?

14) Any chance we'll see Jet, Wave, and Storm?

15) Will we see more robot/metal's, or super forms?
Last edited by SLJCOAAATR on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SLJCOAAATR
BumbleNoble

Postby FairFieldFinder » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:41 am

SLJCOAAATR wrote:1) For #200, can we expect a big collection of the cast?

2) Can we expect to see Cream, or Big in the near future? I think the last time Big was seen, was the issue around 3.5 years ago, in a side-story where the cast put on a play for kids. Big was Eggman, Knuckles was Sonic, and Sonic was Sally (I think...) I believe this was also the issue where Mina had been visiting, and Fiona swhowed a slight interest in Sonic, though with Tails. Maybe I'm mixing things up...

5) When Nega appears, could we expect Johnny, Whisker, etc.? Having Ifrit there, could help expand on Shadow's past in the comics.

6) Any hints, or telling when to expect the answer to the "traitor" Silver speaks of, or the person Snively's been talking to?

You only get five questions a week, SLJ. And it was Knuckles dressed as Sally.
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

Postby Spin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:58 pm

1. Have there been any thoughts to modernize any classic badniks and have them make a return in the comic?

2. Eggman is said to have the IQ of 300 in the games. Can the same thing be said about him in the comics?

3. What would you guess is Uncle Chuck's IQ?

4. What would you guess is Rotor's IQ?

5. What would you guess is Tails' IQ?
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Doc Eggman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:28 pm

As an Eggman fan I really, really enjoyed the Sonic X comic, as I found it my favorite Sonic continuity and portrayal of Eggman specifically of all time. Can we expect to ever see the Sonic X version of Eggman to appear again in the Sonic Universe series?
Doc Eggman
BumbleFan

Postby Ruby The Red Panda » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Hmm this is my first time, so here goes....

1.) Will we be seeing any more supers soon?

2.) Will we be seeing any new characters?

3.) Have you ever considered having a contest for readers to create a new character?

4.) I've noticed Sonic's been having a lot of love problems. Who do you feel he should be paired up with?

5.) I know this may be a dumb question but... Will Scourge understand meaning of Sonic's words and end up being an ally or will he hold a grudge and forever be a sworn enemy? I really liked him personally as a villian, and it would be interesting if he suddenly made a deal and became an ally, you know? :wink:

That last one was pretty long....^^;
Ruby The Red Panda
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Ah...much smaller week. Not that I begrude the questions, I enjoy this feature, but y'all can run me ragged sometimes (haha!)

Question #1 wrote:You mentioned that Amy could possibly be Mercian nobility. Would we ever see how the Mercians see Amy?

Well, we have SONIC UNIVERSE now. And we do pay close attention to the fan-mail. So if folks were to write in to Sonic Grams and ask for some Amy stories, I could see it working out.

Question #2 wrote:What happened to Harry the Dingo cab driver?

You'll have to wait until SONIC UNIVERSE to find out.

No, seriously, that's honestly coming up.

Question #3 wrote:Did Kragok and Lien-Da kill Julie-Su's mother? From what I've heard, it was pretty much only hinted at.

I'm hoping I'll be able to answer that and the mystery of Luger's disappearance this year.

Question #4 wrote:Can you give us any information about the rumored Sonic Chronicles 2?

No, since I honestly know nothing. I know BioWare voiced an interest in doing a sequel, and the game's plot lends itself to one, but I have no idea if they're actually moving ahead with it.

Even if I did, I would be contractually bound to shut my yap.

Question #5 wrote:Since you say you don't think you'd ever get to bring him in to the book, maybe it's safe to ask this: If you *could* bring Bokkun into the Prime-verse, what would you have him doing?

Play counter to Snively. Given how jumpy ol' needle-nose is, having a flying, bang-tossing thingie to rattle his nerves would be hilarious. Ah well.

Question #6 wrote:Is Scourge's unique Super form a result of him using the negative energies of the Chaos Emeralds, a la Perfect Chaos?

His Super Forme isn't unique - that's it. If he were to get the Chaos Emeralds (heaven forbid), he'd look the exact same.

Question #7 wrote:Have you ever come across a question in this topic that you didn' want to wait to answer?

Plenty of times. When folks want to me to clarify something, or I can announce/tease something new, I end up writing up the feature early just to get it out of my system.

Question #8 wrote:Have you ever wanted to give more information than you could?

More than you will ever know.

Question #9 wrote:When in the comics was it mentioned that Rob O' the Hedge's group was called the Crazy Critter Freedom Fighters? I can only find mention of it on the Archie Sonic Wiki page.

When Rob first appeared, he mentioned all his "crazy critter" friends were imprisoned. So, officially, there is no Crazy Critter Freedom Fighters.

It's kind of like Patch. Sonic calls him that once, and it was more of a taunting nickname for the moment. The fans seized upon the name. When it came time to write "A Bold, New Moebius" I figured I'd roll with it and kept the name.

I'm not sure if I'm keen on "Crazy Critter" for the Mercian Freedom Fighters, though. It doesn't mesh with the trend of the other teams' names.

Question #10 wrote:Why feature Rotor instead of Amy charging into battle on the cover of #189 if he was in no shape to fight and advised to get out fast instead?

Because the whole theme of the combined covers were the Freedom Fighters and the Suppression Squad's duality. The covers aren't always accurate to the contents - they're more symbolic.

Question #11 wrote:Was it really necessary to leave Albion destroyed without a single surviving citizen from there? ... Now is that really being fair to them after all their generations of suffering?

In oder: yes and no. Yes it was necessary to wipe Albion off the map. As has been discussed at length months before, the echidna sub-plot was bloated. Albion served no purpose other than to just sit there and be useless. By erradicating it we upped Dr. Robotnik's villain credentials, created Dr. Finitevus's backstory, and freed Knuckles of a lot of excess backstory baggage.

No, it wasn't fair to the Lost Tribe. That's kinda the point. Tragedy followed them from the minute they left Echidnaopolis and all the way through to the end.

That isn't to say we're done with Albion, or even aspects of the Lost Tribe. I've got stuff stewin' behind the scenes. You'll see.

Question #12 wrote:Speaking of echidnas; please tell me you didn't write off every character with a name outside of Knuckles' family except for Remington and Komi-Ko did you?

Yes, everyone is gone. Gala-Na, Yanar, Simon, Xenin, etc. etc. That was the whole basis of Julie-Su's blow-up at Knuckles in STH#191.

Question #13 wrote:Is there any point in Dr. Robotnik making a Metal Shadow? He is a significant threat like Sonic and somewhat like Scourge.

Sometimes there isn't an obvious "point" to the good doctor's creations. I'm sure we'll get around to a Metal Shadow at some point.

Question #14 wrote:You seem to be a fan of Dragonball, what are your thoughts of the live action movie Dragonball: Evolution?

Normally I'd keep this to Sonic-only, but this question begs to be answered.

Are you old enough to remember the old live-action Mario Bros. movie? The one where everything was very early-90s, poorly characterized, and missed the point of the main franchise completely?

Yeah, so far it's looking like it'll be that all over again, but with Dragonball. We'll see.

Question #15 wrote:Since PsudoSonic is still around, is there a chance for him to reapear

He's not - he got smashed by the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters. Being a robot, it's not impossible he'd be rebuilt, though.

Question #16 wrote:Down the line, are there any plans to have Aurora or the Neo Walkers make an appearance?

Very much so. I'd wanted to get into all that back around "The Darkest Storm," but I just haven't had the right opportunity for it.

Question #17 wrote:So, my question is, what is the extent of Finitevus' powers? Is he hiding them to mask his full ability, or is he like Scourge, simply given a boost of energy as a plot point and nothing more?

Finitevus is basically on par with Knuckles, but with a much more potent understanding of the Chaos Energies and how they work. He also has full command over his Warp Ring tech, which can be quite formidable. You'll be seeing just how formidable sometime this year.

Question #18 wrote:are there any characters you would like to get rid of, but can't?

Nobody springs to mind. The SegaSonic cast is untouchable, and I like the ArchieSonic cast too much.

Question #19 wrote:Is there any particular reason [you've not used the Figure-8 Peel-Out], such as being as sick as I am of it?

He used it in STH#175. But mostly it's because I haven't thought of it. The comic made it seem like a really special move, so I might pull it out for special occassions.

Question #20 wrote:are there any moves from the games you'd like to have Sonic use in the comic (or heck, any other characters for that matter)?

I really wish it was more practical for Knuckles to use Thunder Arrow. I love the name and the move itself.

Question #21 wrote:Someone was talking about the end of SatAM earlier in the thread, and I was wondering... think we might ever get something like a SU special which concludes SatAM, given it seemed to end on something of a cliffhanger?

I toyed with the idea, but ultimately I'd rather not. I see SONIC as the spiritual successor to SatAM. And given how close the two are in their principle cast, I think it would cause more confusion than anything else. And to top it off, I feel like SatAM is Ben Hurst's baby. I wouldnt' be able to write the "finale" without feeling cheeky. So out of respect for Mr. Hurst and the SatAM die-hards I'll leave it alone.

Question #22 wrote:Wouldn't mind seeing a return of the Mecha Knuckles design or debut of Metal Knuckles (from the Sonic Advance series). Think SEGA would have a beef with you using any of that old stuff?

I honestly don't know. Some old stuff they let us use, other stuff they've very protective over.

Question #23 wrote:If you can draw, any chance we might see you pencil a book like Ken did every so often?

My drawing talents only go so far as conceptual stuff that lets the real talent know what I'm thinking. While I'd like to do a back-up sometime, maybe, it'd be putting a lot of pressure on the inker and colorist to make it look, y'know, good./

Question #24 wrote:Okay, I get that Locke=dead=dead, but any chance we'll be seeing him or one of the other Chaos ghost anytime soon?

I dunno. We almost didn't see any of the Guardians Spirits until Knuckles died and joined them. Granted, we saw Hawking's spirit come for Tobor. And there was Matthias, but he was in the pressence of four much more disciplined Guardians and I don't know if their abilities played a part in manifesting their forefather. The rules over the Guardian Spirits are vague at best,and I don't want to tackle that until I do some new realm-building with Knuckles first.

Question #25 wrote:Speaking of SU issues, do you have any idea if SU will be release 10 mo. a year like SX was or 13 a year like STH?

I think that's still be decided right now. It might start out 13/yr. and move to 10/yr. later. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Question #26 wrote:Any chance we'll ever see Horizon-Al, and Verti-Cal again?

I can't rule them out, but don't hold your breath.

Question #27 wrote:Since Drago is constantly getting beat down, why haven’t the rest of the Destructix told him to take a long walk?

He makes for a good meat-shield, land-mine detector, poison screen, and punching bag.

Question #28 wrote:Since the Destructix seem to work well with other villains, will they be accepting more members or working with other villains regularly?

Honestly, I'd like to trim the team down. They're a bit of a sore spot with me since I love the team, I love their potential, but I just don't have the time to make them into something more. There's tiny, tiny moments I've squeezed in during their appearances, but nothing substantial. At the very least I'll be giving one of them some serious backstory this year.

Question #29 wrote:Since Mogul tried to bring back the Fearsome Four, can we expect him to try and raise a new Four or just stick to outsourcing for his henchmen?

Mogul is all about spiteful, indirect abuse of Sonic. I don't see him reforming the Fearsome Foursome soon.

Question #30 wrote:Will we ever see interaction amongst major villains such as Eggman, Mogul, Finitevus or others, that isn't just "Lulz, ur in my egg-grapes, powerin mah city"?

Maybe, but probably not with Eggman. He's too dangerous; too unpredicatable. There will definitely be some significant villain intermingling this year, though - just not who you'd expect.

Question #31 wrote: I know this is a loaded question but would it be too much to ask for a breakdown of the current Rogues Gallery in regards to who are still active threats and how they rank (A villains, B villains or however you break them down in your mind)?

Eh, why not?

--TOP TIER--
Dr. Robotnik (Eggman Empire)
- subordinates -
Snively Robotnik
Grandmaster Dimitri (Dark Egg Legion)
Kommisar Lien-Da (Dark Egg Legion)
Dark Egg Legion

[SPOILER]
- subordinates -
[SPOILER] (debatable)
[SPOILER]
[SPOILER] (spoiler)
[SPOILER] (spoiler)
[SPOILER] (spoiler)
[SPOILER]
[SPOILER] (spoiler)
[SPOILER] (spoiler)
[SPOILER]

-- MID TIER --
Mammoth Mogul (Criminal Underword)
- subordinates -
S6 Squad
Classic Badnik Horde
Ixis Naugus

Scourge & Fiona

Suppression Squad

Dr. Finitevus

-- LOW TIER --
Nack Weasel

Destructix

Bean & Bark

[SPOILER] (set-up only, but it'll be obvious)

I hope I didn't give away too much . . .

Question #32 wrote:Does 2009 look good for a Bunnie origin story?

I want to do something, but I'm not sure if I'll get to it this year.

Question #33 wrote:Aside from Sonic, who or what does Eggman/Robotnik fear?

I don't think he actually "fears" anything. He can be apprehensive about impending doom, naturally, but he doesn't actually fear anything. Everything is his by right, in his mind, which means it's to be tamed, studied, catalogued, conquered or destroyed. The question becomes: how would he react when something perpetually defies his world-view? (i.e. Sonic)

Question #34 wrote:What are your thoughts on the Robotnik/Snively relationship? What does this relationship give the Archieverse Robotnik that other-verse Robotniks may not have?

This was pretty much detailed in STH## and Free Comic Book Day 2007. Robotnik wants to conquer the world and he needs a lackey to keep things running while he works. Snively wants to conquer the world, but he can't achieve the same level of success as his uncle. So Snively wiill serve loyally until the world is Robotnik's and then he'll seize control from within. Robotnik knows this and counts on it - Snively will be the best worker he could hope for, if only so he can stab him in the back. And Snively knows Robotnik knows. And Robotnik knows Snively knows that he knows. It's a horrid little arrangment, but it works.

Question #35 wrote:If you had the ability to go into detail (be it in the comics or a miniseries) about any three of the Brotherhood of Guardians lives and their tenor as Guardian, which three would you pick and why?

Spectre. I know the story I want to tell with him - how he became the dark, smokey fellow he became and how he dealt with that. The others are so completely lacking in backstory I could make up just about anything. I suppose Thunderhawk, since I liked his design. Maybe Jordan, being the first Guardian under the "abandon in the wild" training.

Question #36 wrote:Do you hope to get into a lot (or any) flashback-based stories with Sonic Universe or are you hoping to mostly update readers on present events throughout Mobius and the multiverse, and deal with past events through dialogue?

Whichever works best for the moment. There will be flashback scenes and there will be monologues.

Question #37 wrote:If there was enough demand for it, is there any chance there could be a special issue published that is strictly detailed data files on the top 3 tier characters (SegaSonic, SatAM-based and Archie-based who are significant enough)? Is this something you'd look forward to doing if you could?

Full-issue Data Files? Not a chance. You can try to write in for it, but I can tell you right now that'll never fly. Nevermind that I don't think any one character could fill in a full twenty-two pages without some heavy padding; folks come to the book for the stories, not the raw data.

Question #38 wrote:What does Tails contribute to his relationship to Sonic (vice versa)?

Tails is the voice of reason and patience. Despite the recent squabbling, he's Sonic's unending well of positive reenforcement. He is his protogé; someone to be reered, protected, and can be depended on to support him. Sonic, meanwhile, is the mentor - perhaps more indirectly than directly. Sonic is the source of Tails's bravery, heroism and maturity - the latter, in this case, to fill the void more often than not. They're brothers, when you get right down to it.

Question #39 wrote:Why do you think Sonic likes Sally (vice versa)?

She's one of the very few that can keep up with his wit. Her bossiness drives him up the wall, but it provides a foundation he can rely on - whether he conciously realizes this or not. She provides direction to his ever-moving lifestyle. Flip the whole thing on its head for Sally: she is under such pressure to create a solid team and world around her that Sonic's brashness and recklessness are a breath of fresh air. Part of her would love to let loose and enjoy his same devil-may-care attitude, but she can't bring herself to do that.

They were a fun example of "opposites attract." When you look at it that way, it's kind of sad they're no longer together.

Question #40 wrote:Why do you think Mina likes Ash (vice versa)?

His sometimes over-zealous protectivenss isn't completely unlike Sonic's protection of her in the past. Yeah, he's rough around the edges, but he cares deeply for her and wants what's best for her. In Ash's mind Mina comes first, and it's that unwavering love and devotion that appeals to her. Ash, on the other hand, is ga-ga for Mina because she's such a sunny, supportive person. She brings out the best in him, and he likes that. They make each other happy, which makes them happy, and creates an infinite loop of happy-making.

Question #41 wrote:Why is Amy precious to Sonic?

She is? Like all his friends he's deeply vest in keeping them safe, and I think he's accepted her as a fellow Freedom Fighters. But precious...?

Question #42 wrote:Why do Bunnie and Antione care about one another and why are they both important to Sonic?

Bunnie first fell fo Antoine when he had a (then) uncharacteristically brave moment and saved her life. Antoine, in turn, finally took his "Must Be With The Princess" blinders off when he realized there was someone else who actually cared for him, knew how brave he could] be, and nurtured that. They've been there to support each other through the hard times - Bunnie forced to upgrade, Antoine losing his father - and that support, friendship, and understanding made the foundation for their marriage.

They're important to Sonic because they're his friends. Simple as that.

Veterans of the feature may be scatching their heads at this point - those were obviously not five questions, but rather ten. I thought I'd try to tackle the more in-depth character stuff this time around. Next time I'll be stricter on the "five only" rule.

Question #43 wrote:Just how strong and fast are the super forms?

As strong or as fast as they need to be. Vague, I know, but there's a reason for that.

No, I'm not getting into it here and now.

Question #44 wrote:Any chance we will see characters like Omega, Cream, Nack, or Babylon Rouges this year (or next)?

Yes, no, no, no.

Question #45 wrote:Will we see Silver and Blaze along side each other?

"Yes" to seeing them, "no" to together.

Question #46 wrote:Why do only some Robians have color?

Perhaps an imperfection in the organic-to-robotic transformation? I don't think there's ever been a real answer for that.

Question #47 wrote:Sonic is required to be on the cover of every issue of the normal book. Does this hold true for SU as well, even though it focuses on other characters?

Nope. You'll see once the later covers hit.

Question #48 wrote:Are Rotor's family still brainwashed, and if not, when were they freed? There's a lot of confusion on this matter.

I looked this up recently for....well....my own reasons. *ahem* The last we saw of the Herd, they were free of Robotnik's control again.

Question #49 wrote: Are we going to see any more of Merlin any time soon?

Not this year, unfortunately.

Question #50 wrote:What is your personal feeling towards Darkspine?

He throws great parties, but the jerk still owes me $25.

...not so personal? Okay - I think it's a kind of funky design, and I'm not overly fond of it.

Question #51 wrote:Following on from that question, is there any possibility of Darkspine appearing in the comic or is Super Sonic the one and only super form for Sonic?

Darkspine Sonic came from the power of the Seven World Rings. So we'd have to go back to the Arabian Nights world to get them. Which we never will.

...fifty questions. I said this was a light week. Foolishness!

Question #52 wrote:How would you have managed the change-over from Robotnik to Eggman, seeing as how you are now attempting to remove most of their differences these days?

I’ve been asked this before, and as tempting as it is to speculate, I’d feel wrong doing so. I have no idea what the conditions were on the book during that time. Am I filling Karl Boller’s role, or Ken Penders’s? Are we pretending I’m flying solo as I am now? What restrictions did SEGA have in place at the time? Would then-editor Justin Gabrie even like my idea? There’s too many unknowns, and I’d feel a bit pretentious throwing out an idea that might not have even made it past the first round of review.

Question #53 wrote:Now that Alicia basically admitted that Miles is the leader of the SS, is he going to become their new leader? Will Miles still take some orders from Alicia if so?

They pretty much spelled it out for us: Alicia is the acting ruler and Miles publically defers to her, but Miles is the true mastermind.

Question #54 wrote:Powering down from the chaos Emeralds gives a power boost, and powering down from the Anarchy Beryls drains the remaining energy you have. So as far as the comic goes, what does powering down from the Sol Emeralds cause?

Let me just clarify first: the post-CE boost isn’t huge. You feel great, you could do a couple extra laps around the field, food tastes better - very nominal stuff. It wouldn't really be noticable to the casual observer. Consider this: when has Sonic ever looked tired after powering down? Granted, he was a little woozy after his fight with Hyper Knuckles, but that was more due to being knocked out of his state by their explosive final clash.

As for Sol Emeralds, I have no idea. I don’t know if their flame properties would carry over or if Blaze is unique. I don’t really want to touch that until we see more about them in the games.

Question #55 wrote:so is Zonic's zone now the Parallel Zone rather than being a Perpendicular zone, or was that just a script flub?

Don’t forget the No Zone. It’s had a few names. Which I was slyly referencing when Sonic called it by a different name. Yeah....that’s it.

Question #56 wrote:How come Spaz only does covers these days?

The man’s crazy-busy.

Question #57 wrote:Since the mobians have television, do they whatch things like news or stuff? Do the Mobians do sports and have it on Tv?

They have all that, although I don’t think their TV-watching is as devoted as, say, Humans and Overlanders.

Question #58 wrote:Does Tails still goes to school? if so, what does he learn exactly?

There is a school, and conceivably he goes when he isn’t fulfilling his duties as a Freedom Fighter. He may be a tech wiz, but there’s plenty of other subjects to study.

Question #59 wrote:If you could cast the voices of Archie characters, who would you cast as....?

I don't know VAs well enough to even play pretend. I'd leave the casting to Andrea Romano, the brilliant woman behind the voice direction for such shows as Justice League Unlimited and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Question #60 wrote:Is Snively's love of ice hockey (as seen in StH #33) still canon? Do you have any plans to bring it up, ever?

I don't see why it wouldn't be canon, but I don't foresee us using it as a plot point.

Question #61 wrote:Has the (presumably destroyed) technolotree been replicated within New Mobotropolis, or has it been replaced with the monitor board seen in StH #181? If so, would you say one is more effective than the other?

Another example of a two-in-one question. Don't do that, ladies and gents.

Anyhoo, the Technolotree is gone. As in gone-gone. Nicole now fills in the role as monitor for New Mobotropolis and Freedom HQ. She's not quite as thorough, given her attention can be divided. On the other hand she can process and prioratize, which the Technolotree never seemed to do. You decide which you'd prefer watching over you.

Question #62 wrote:Is there any chance of Archie releasing the Sonic Universe comic in graphic novel format?

I cannot comment on that at this time.

Question #63 wrote:Hey Ian. I was wondering about something way back in issue #178.
(I tried to look and answer this question myself, but I had no luck. Sorry if this was already discussed.)
It involved King Max (could we still call him that? Or does he go by a new title now that he is retired?) questioning Sonic's loyalty and ended with him saying: "HRM... I suppose." Is there any meaning behind those words or is it just a throw-away line?

Oh, there was a reason for that, although you're only getting half of the signifigance. Time will answer it all. (well....hopefully.)

Question #64 wrote:Speaking of Mina, any plans for her, and Ash sometime soon?

They show up in STH#201. How's that?

Question #65 wrote:Around what issues can we expect to see Omega, and Nega?

Soon. Very soon.

Question #66 wrote:Have there been any thoughts to modernize any classic badniks and have them make a return in the comic?

Not especially. The Classic Badnik Horde now works for Mogul.

Question #67 wrote:Can we expect to ever see the Sonic X version of Eggman to appear again in the Sonic Universe series?

It's not looking very likely at this juncture. Things could change, but . . .

Question #68 wrote:Will we be seeing any new characters?

We'll be seeing a couple this year, actually.

Question #69 wrote:Have you ever considered having a contest for readers to create a new character?

It's been bandied about, and I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but it's a really tricky thing to do. The reader would have to give up all rights to their submission and the new character would actually need to lend something to the story/world/cast/etc. I'm juggling enough characters between two books as is, but the idea is still floating around on some distant back-burner.

Question #70 wrote:I've noticed Sonic's been having a lot of love problems. Who do you feel he should be paired up with?

Nobody. No, seriously. Given all the stuff he's gone through recently between Sally and Fiona I think he's done looking for companionship for now. He's living fast and free for the foreseeable future. From the not-as-fun-purely-technial standpoint, I think the love angle has been played out for the moment. We're still rebuilding his friendship with Sally and Amy will forever be at arm's length by SEGA mandate. There are no contenders for his affection, and to introduce someone just for the sake of a love subplot is a tiresome idea to me right now.

Question #71 wrote:Will Scourge understand meaning of Sonic's words and end up being an ally or will he hold a grudge and forever be a sworn enemy?

Part of Sonic's personality is that he'll listen to reason. It may be begrudingly, it may require you back him into a corner and shout him down, but he will come around given the time to think it out. Scourge is a Sonic without that reasonable moral fiber. He believes himself the unparalleled best, and woe be unto anyone who contradicts him.

...whew! Almost another 75. So much for the lighter week (haha!)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Luger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:30 am

Sorry, I think I did the double-question thing too much last time, so I'll re-ask my last question which I can see why it wasn't answered if that was the reason:

1.) Do you consider the "afterlife" to be the same across the multiverse?
(For example, does Aurora watch over Moebius along with the other verses as the Ancient Walkers would have? Or instead would there be an "Anti - Aurora" and "Anti Ancient Walkers"? Don't answer these questions so much, just using them as examples to the main one, though if you want you can answer them too)

2.) You mentioned a while back (as I recall, I could be wrong) you were toying with the idea of General Brass taking over in Station Square or launching a coup or something. Any chance this plot or something similar will come to fruition this year?

3.) Are issues #198 - #200 a single arc with a single artist drawing them?

4.) Will the same artist do the work for all three issues?

I just wanted to note:
IanPotto wrote:
Question #37 wrote:If there was enough demand for it, is there any chance there could be a special issue published that is strictly detailed data files on the top 3 tier characters (SegaSonic, SatAM-based and Archie-based who are significant enough)? Is this something you'd look forward to doing if you could?

Full-issue Data Files? Not a chance. You can try to write in for it, but I can tell you right now that'll never fly. Nevermind that I don't think any one character could fill in a full twenty-two pages without some heavy padding; folks come to the book for the stories, not the raw data.

I should have been more specific. I meant to say a whole comic with one-page data files for each character (in other words, a comic with a one page data file for say the top 22 characters, perhaps a future FCBD issue).
Last edited by Luger on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Super Rayzor » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:41 am

Ian wrote:While I'd like to do a back-up sometime, maybe, it'd be putting a lot of pressure on the inker and colorist to make it look, y'know, good./

(hearty laughter), oh, Ian!:(hearty laughter):

I already have some questions for this week. :)

1. I know you're an extremely blessed man because you have a job doing what you love, but is there a time where the fun crosses the line into actually feeling like work?

2. Here's a question you may not be able to answer, but here goes. Have you received the script for Black Knight yet or are they even wanting you to touch it?

3. Once again, maybe asking a question, you probably won't answer, but on the matter of super forms, are they proportionate to the original power of the person, ie, since Sally is weaker than Sonic, would her hypothetical super form be weaker than SS?

4. Have you met all the Sonic staff in person or even at all?

5. Last question, speaking of Mobian TV, do they watch shows through cable, satelite, or some other sort of medium?
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby kryptyk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 am

1) What's the point of "new realm-building" for Knuckles when it will probably just get convoluted like the last one and you'll have to kill off practically everyone involved with it again except for him?

2) Considering what you've already done, if you suddenly decided to permanently destroy everything significant and kill off most of the people important in Sonic's life like you did to Knuckles, just how badly do you think the rest of us readers would take it?

3) In the course of filling in the burial plots within your "character graveyard", are there any that you did put there and now regret doing so from a personal or practical standpoint?

4) Why did you write your follow-up to M:25YL the way you did, when there is barely any perceivable correlation between it and the status quo in the present?

5) At what point and how did the overlander/human governments expand from just "Station Square" to this whole "United Federation?"
Last edited by kryptyk on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:27 am

The money Mina raises for the war effort, Who owns it and decides what to do with it? Mina, Ash, or someone else and how is distributed?

Where did Mina go when she was on tour? Did she just go to the cities and towns around Mobuis or does she to places where people are fighting Eggman and some USO type stuff for other fighting groups at the battlefields?

What is the makeup of Eggman’s current sub bosses roster around the world? Like are they all robots and robotized people that still haven’t turned back to normal. Or do they include Mobuins and Overlanders that decided to side with him.

The Japanese back story says that Nack/Fang says he’s part wolf and part weasel. What is the Archie version part wolf and part weasel too or at does he have a wolf and a weasel for parents maybe?
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:24 am

I've a question from the latest issue, regarding the "come-down state" of the Anarchy Beryl. Namely, why would it do that? I understand the whole "opposites" thing, but at the same time, that seems like a rather out-of-left-field idea for Sonic to comprehend, since most of the "opposite" stuff seems to apply to the morality of the characters and how that follows.

Scourge isn't slow, NIDS doesn't seem to work differently, Kintobor, Miles, and Boomer aren't dumb, Alicia isn't a pauper, gravity doesn't make things lighter, etc. Before, if memory serves, even the Anarchy Beryl itself was referred to as Chaos Emeralds (by proxy through Anti-Knuckles), though ironically he also seems to represent one of the other more bizarre, extreme opposites through having a sunken island, rather than a floating one.

Going by what you stated above, it seems to not only mirror the effect of Sonic receiving a little "boost" after going Super, but it drained him completely, and for quite some time, it would appear. Sonic brings up seven emeralds on Mobius vs. Moebius' abundance, but it wasn't that long ago that Mobius was equally abundant.

So, yeah, to simplify: I'm used to "opposites" on Moebius being more driven by inverting a character's moral code and then its effects (and I consider Kintobor being thin to reflect that as well), rather than on more levels more in line with physics or magic or whatever.

So why did this work out that way? That's the key question at the core of my context.

2) Regarding the above, why not just have Sonic trick him out of Super form, then just lay into Scourge to achieve the same end?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SLJCOAAATR » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:49 am

Fairfieldfencer wrote:
SLJCOAAATR wrote:1) For #200, can we expect a big collection of the cast?

You only get five questions a week, SLJ. And it was Knuckles dressed as Sally.
You should know by now, I'm very greedy.

Well, a few things I was wondering have been answered. Shame we won't be seeing Fang, Cream, or the Rogues...
Glad to hear Nega, Omega, Mina, and Ash will show up again, soon!

Would it be okay if I aska few new questions, now?
SLJCOAAATR
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius