Ask Ian for March '08 - Mogul-Marked Since Thread #7

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:48 am

Answers for 3/2/08 - 3/8/08

Question #1 wrote:Was Silver Sonic II ever rebuilt after shadow demolished him?

No.

Question #2 wrote:Has the Scourge mini series already been published, or has it been canceled. Cause I remember hearing about it quite some time ago. And I wondered what happened with it.

That was an April Fool's joke by Sonic HQ. Our very own Kureejii Lea did the cover art. There has not ever been plans for a Scourge mini.

Question #3 wrote:Considering the success of the Sonic Archives and the new comer, "Sonic Selects", do you ever think reprints of the Archie-Knuckles series will come into play?

KtE reprints will be showing up in "Sonic Selects" eventually.

Question #4 wrote:Is there currently enough interest and popularity for there to be a new mini-series published?

As things stand right now, another mini- or Specials series is highly unlikely. That being said, we do have something cooking. Stay tuned.

Question #5 wrote:Mind putting in a translation of Mogul's rants? For those who have no idea what the heck he's saying.

Part of the reason I'm perpetuating Mogul's dense dialogue is to get the little ones to crack open a dictionary. You're never too old to learn.

Question #6 wrote:Are Julie-Su and Knuckles still dating? Cause the "I'm gonna guard the Master Emerald forever and I will do it alone" thing kinda confused me.

They're still an item as of the end of STH#184. How recent events affect Knuckles - and those close to him - will be something we look out in the coming months.

Question #7 wrote:With all the stuff that happens on Mobius (Hyper-Dimensional Transportation, Anti Paradox Time-Travel, God-Moderation, you know, that kind of stuff) what laws of physics have the Mobians not broken yet?

Sorry! When I first saw this, I thought it was a joke question. I haven't kept a running tally of the impossibilities in the book.

Question #8 wrote:If the Chaos Emeralds came from different planets, (Including Planet Xordia) Where did they originally come from? Stars? Communist Aliens? Byproducts of plotholes from the sonic team?

I've got one idea in particular, but I'm in no rush to answer that question in the book. Part of the mysticism stems from their mysterious origin. Not everything has to be explained.

Question #9 wrote:In the second story in issue 185, fans are being asked if they want to see the 40 Fathom freedom fighters again. If they did return, would they still be in the comical/old days format or would they try to be adapted into a more serious/current storyline light?

If I get a chance to play with the 4F, I don't think I'll play them to the same comedic level they have in the past. I'm just not that funny/punny. At the same time, I'm not going to reimagine them into gritty undersea mercenaries or anything. They'd be in the same theme I've put the Freedom Fighters, I guess. We'll see.

Question #10 wrote:Will we find out what's been happening with Monkey Khan lately?

Not before STH#200. After that, chances look good. Don't hold me to that, though.

Question #11 wrote:If Tails parents and Cenca 009 were both stuck on that asteroid back on Wheelworld and Tails parents have been rescued, what happened to Cenca 009 then?

She's still on Argentum, caught in the middle of the Xorda/Black Arms war.

Question #12 wrote:Back when Bunnie's robotic parts were failing, she got an upgrade from Nate Morgan and said she could never be de-roboticized again. Now if the Bem being the all powerful aliens they are can transform everyone on the entire planet of Mobius back to normal, couldn't their de-roboticizer be powerful enough to change Bunnie back especially considering her original state of body wasn't in a wounded/dying condition like Sonic's father was?

Possibly. But the issue with Bunnie's upgrade was that it modified the mechanics of her original robotication. It may be that, since the limbs are not the same as when she was first transformed, the process couldn't be reverted like everyone else. That, and being only part-roboticized, she may not have registered on whatever sensors the Bem used to track down the robians.

Question #13 wrote:Is Ray living with the Chaotix or is he still in New Mobotropolis?

Both. Ray has a home-away-from-home in both New Mobotropolis and Freedom HQ, but ultimately he stays with the Chaotix.

Question #14 wrote: Knowing that the Bem made it so that Mobians cannot be roboticed from flesh to metal, would it be possible for Robotnick to turn them into organic robots or cyborgs?

Yes, especially the latter.

Question #15 wrote:Finitevus "led Robotnik's army" into Albion, as stated in 182. But when was Finitevus allied with him?

"Led" as in a carrot-on-a-stick method, not out-right partnership.

Question #16 wrote:Similarly, why did Finitevus mold Remington into a dark legionaire only to let Knuckles "fix" him?

Finitevus was working on Remington long before he decided to use Knuckles. When Knuckles/Enerjak was realized, one echidna mattered very little in Finitevus's grand design. Besides, there wasn't any way Finitevus could really stop him at that point.

Question #17 wrote:Have you thought of taking a page from Marvel's book and releasing the comics online?

That's something I have no say in. You can always let Archie Comics know what you'd like to see with: talkback@archiecomics.com

Question #18 wrote:with all the reprints out there now what are the chances of the Mini-series being reprinted (Princess Sally, Tails, Sonic Quest, Nights, etc)

Many of those will be showing up in "Sonic Selects."

Question #19 wrote:When was Remington was revealed to be a decendant of Dimitri? I looked all of my back issues and the only link I could find was during the Dark Alliance saga of the Knuckles comic (no. 24) when Benedict tried to Blackmail Remington with a secert from his past.

This was Ken Penders's intention all along, and while I don't have any archived evidence, he said as much either through his forum or during a chat at one point. The plot point was heavily hinted at, if not out-right revealed, by Karl Bollars during "Return to Angel Island." I put the final touch on the revalation during "Enerjak: Reborn."

Question #20 wrote:In the past 50 or so issues thier has always been a special thanks to Sega licensing what exactly do they do for the comic? (besides giving permission to use charecters.)

I'm not sure of all their duties, but they are our primary contacts with Sega. Anything we need, want, or have to talk about is routed through them. They have the job of managing all the details between Archie Comics and Sega. That alone, I think, is worth special thanks each month.

Question #21 wrote: I am not asking for details (because I know we wont get them), but do have something really special planned for issue 200?

As of this post we have the basic groundwork laid for 2008, the issues that lead into and are #200, and for where the series will go from there. Being so far in advance, though, these plans can change.

Question #22 wrote:The future Mobius that has been established in the comic... do you feel it is the future, or just one of the many outcomes? And I don't mean the future-alternate zone stuff.

M25YL is a possible future. So says me, so says the editor, and so it shall be.

Question #23 wrote:Will you be using the meteorites from zero gravity in STH in anyway or form?

Not in the foreseeable future. To use the Arks of the Cosmos is to open the whole can of worms that is the Babylon Rogues backstory, and I'm not too eager to jump on that just yet. (Alien bird-genies? What?)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re:

Postby TheMagicalDreamer » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:37 am

Horizont-Al.

Verti-Cal.

When?
TheMagicalDreamer
BumbleNewbie

Postby Dub » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:48 am

Alien bird-genies. WHEN?!?! :D

**runs away**
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby Zulon Eredas » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:58 am

Any plans for Lupe and/or the Wolf Pack?
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Glaber » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:33 pm

1. (Dead horse question) [revised for clarification] The last time I asked this your answer referred to issue 71, the backwards issue. So again I ask are you sure that the events that caused knothole village to become in the state it was in issue 50 and Super Special 6 (the director's cut of issue 50) didn't also restore both subs that were shown on page 9 of the Super Special and page 7 of issue 50? (May PM after this if still not clear.)

2. Although Mobius Prime's original Robotnik was destroyed for good, twice, would somehow bringing in Sonic Underground's Robotnik, who was last seen on page 25 of Super Special 10, work if it was done right?

3. What was the time between when Archie hired you and when your first story for the comic like?

4. Recently I had just found an old Bumbleking site still hosted on sonicverseteam.net and and read up to issue 30 of The Other M. I'm currently wondering how many issues of The Other M were completed total?

5. Would either you or Tracy ever make a reference to the other Sonic Comic in either Sonic comic? (ex: Chris in Sonic X reading a Sonic Comic)
Last edited by Glaber on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:54 pm

Glaber wrote:1. (Dead horse question) The last time I asked this your answer referred to issue 71, the backwards issue. So again I ask are you sure that the events that caused knothole village to be restored and sent into its own "time zone" in issue 50 and Super Special 6 (the director's cut of issue 50) didn't also restore both subs that were shown on page 9 of the Super Special and page 7 of issue 50? (May PM after this if still not clear.)

Knothole being "restored" only refers to its displacement - it was restored to its original place in time. It doesn't mean that random broken things inside it were somehow repaired to a pre-Endgame state. That wouldn't make any sense, not to mention cause all sorts of problems (such as the memories of those within).

Think of being in an airplane. If you get aboard and drink a bottle of water, the water's not going to reappear when you fly back to your earlier, original timezone. Just your place in time changed.

Besides, just because they were destroyed doesn't mean they can't eventually be recreated. There's no reason to be so hung up on their destruction, especially when it happened so long ago.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:41 am

IanPotto wrote:Answers for 3/2/08 - 3/8/08
Question #12 wrote:Back when Bunnie's robotic parts were failing, she got an upgrade from Nate Morgan and said she could never be de-roboticized again. Now if the Bem being the all powerful aliens they are can transform everyone on the entire planet of Mobius back to normal, couldn't their de-roboticizer be powerful enough to change Bunnie back especially considering her original state of body wasn't in a wounded/dying condition like Sonic's father was?

Possibly. But the issue with Bunnie's upgrade was that it modified the mechanics of her original robotication. It may be that, since the limbs are not the same as when she was first transformed, the process couldn't be reverted like everyone else. That, and being only part-roboticized, she may not have registered on whatever sensors the Bem used to track down the robians.

This leads me to wonder, then: How could the Bem turn Eggman into an organic human? Wasn't he on like his third or fourth robotic body?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Luger » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:13 am

1.) Given the major setback the Echidnas have faced in the comics lately, do you still plan to give them any kind of major role in the future, since some of them did manage to survive, or did you kill most of them off so that you wouldn't have to go back to using them?
(By "them" I'm referring to those Echidnas in Albion now, not Finitevus, the Brotherhood or the "Dark Egg Legion").

2.) Any chance of us seeing Eggman suffer the same kind of loss or shame the "good guys" (Knotehole citizens, Echidnas, etc) have, so to speak?
(Yes New Megopolis was destroyed by Enerjak, but he can easily rebuild. What I'm talking about is him in a situation where he is totally helpless).

3.) Two parter:
A.) When can we expect to see the return of Athair?
B.) Since the "Chosen One" has already fulfilled his duty, do you think there's still use for Athair in the comics at this point?

4.) Around how many fans crying out to Archie would there need to be to bring back the Brotherhood/Grandmasters/Albion's more popular citizens (i.e. Yanar, Gala-Na, etc) into the comic?
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Megatronmaster » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:06 pm

1# How long does it usually take for you to write a script?

2# How do you go about coming up with idea's for writing a script?

3# Do you use the series bible of the comic a lot when making your scripts?
Megatronmaster
BumbleFan

Postby Bleeding Fingertips » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:06 pm

I have a few questions, some of which you have already told me the awnsers too but I think everyone deserves to know.

1. In 184 Scourge and Fiona go through a super charaged warp ring and have not since been herd from. Are they going to Anti Mobius? and when will we see them agian?

2. M25YL left alot of fan bewildered, in this future Tails and Mina are married. Are you going to follow through with this?

3. In 160 you started a Sonic Rush mini comic at the end of the main comic. You also started a Sonic riders and Sonic Rush Adventure. These seem to have stopped half way through. Are you planning on continuing these?

4. What was you reaction when you became lead writer for the comic?

I may have a few more later.
Bleeding Fingertips
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 pm

This is really bugging me, but since it's in 186, I'll put it in a spoiler thingy:

In the end of Knuckles story, does Rouge steal his warp ring? It seems to be suggested since he is not wearing it anymore after Rouge grabs his arm, but it may just be a continuity thing.

You may not even want to answer this one, but thanks anyway
:D
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Skrulls

Postby Kenzo20XL » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 pm

My question concerns Locke's change in character between the whole Chaos Knux thing and the Return to Angel Island arc. I know a whole year went by between them, but he just seemed to change very drastically in that span of time.

I'm not sure how up-to-date you are in Marvel comics, but the most recent threat is shape-shifting aliens called Skrulls that are replacing the Marvel heroes in secret, and invading earth. So I must ask you...was the Locke we've been seeing up until now a Skrull? If so, are there more Skrulls out there?
Kenzo20XL
BumbleNewbie

Postby Adamis » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:42 am

I've noticed something in the current saga...
Mammooth Mogul
Mighty the Armadillo
Mina the Mongoose
Miles "Tails" Prower
Sonic Maurice Hedgehog...
Is that on purpose? :P
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Oceanwind » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 pm

1. Will we see Shadow again this year, or at least before issue 200?

2. Will we see Blaze again soon?

3. Are there any plans for Marine?
Oceanwind
BumbleFan

Postby nma1985 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:41 pm

1.) Have you ever talked with Mike about creating a totally new series; a Sonic universe that has nothing to do with StH or SX?

2.) Are there fighting between hero team(like in #178-179) in what you´ve got planned for the book by now?

__N.M.Á.
nma1985
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius