Ask Ian for October '07 - Witty Title Pending

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian for October '07 - Witty Title Pending

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:25 pm

The New Rules wrote: The New Rules

1) Answers Will Come Weekly

Counting from midnight (EST) on Sunday and going into the very last minute of Saturday of each week I'll take questions. Updates will come the following Sunday, and anything submitted on that Sunday will have to wait the week.

2) Five Questions Per Person

Same old rule from before - you get five questions a week, maximum. You don't have to ask five, and anything over five will be ignored. Since that limitation didn't seem to limit too much, however, there's a new wrinkle . . .

3) Limited Number of Answers

I will be selecting questions that I feel will elicit the most thoughtful or informative responses. Questions that look to clarify plot points are good. Asking my opinion about the latest movie isn't the best idea. I don't expect to be picking more than five questions total per week, but it will depend on what's asked per week. I'm not playing favorites or making a statement about anybody's questions. I'm trying to maximize the effectiveness of this feature. So choose your questions carefully.

If we go a dry week, I may go back to questions I passed the first time around and answer them. Still, I'm investing my time to answer y'all's questions. I just ask that some time is invested on your (collective) end.

4) What You Should Post

There are two things you can post in these threads:
1) Questions
2) Answers

The first is obvious enough. Let me explain the second: if you see a question that's fairly simple, like a piece of trivia, you're welcome to answer yourself. You must provide a direct link to the evidence with your answer - no exceptions.

Person A Asks: Why did you turn Fiona evil?

Person B Answers: Person A - Ian explained his reasoning in his Script Bits! for #173, found here

Do not post discussion, chatter, corrections, reactions, anything else! If someone answers somebody wrong, I will correct them in the weekly answer session. If you clutter the thread with anything other than Q&A, you will be temp-banned, starting with one week. Repeat offense get an additional week tacked onto it.

5) No, Seriously, I Will Totally Ban You

I'm dead serious on this one, guys. I don't care if you've had a perfect record on this forum. I don't care if you work on Sonic. I don't care if you're a mod here. You derail, you're gone for a week. I will go total iron-fisted-mad-with-power-dictator here.

6) Wow . . . This Sure Is . . . Strict

It's a necessary evil to ensure you and everyone else gets the most direct access to the information. If things go well, I might loosen things up a little. But I would rather you all get your answers like this than staying silent forever.

So, with all that scary moderator business out of the way, let's get to asking!
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sockie » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:44 pm

1. Will Finitevus' opinon about the Avatar prophecy being false have anything to do with the "Enerjak: Reborn" arc?
2. Can we assume that the Archie's version of SRA is the same aside from
Southern/Seagull Island being on Mobius, Blaze and the Sol Emeralds having no part in it, and Eggman just building Captain Whisker and Johnny by himself without Eggman Nega?

3. Is there any chance of Marine, Johnny, and Captain Whisker ever showing up again?
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby Adamis » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 pm

Hello Ian, I have a few questions for you:

-I know this have been asked before, but as things change with time...: do you have plans for Blaze and Silver?

-Did Sega gave you informations about the upcoming Sonic games so you'll have to do another game adaptation? (Rivals 2, the RPG, Riders 2, Mario & Sonic...)

-Will our heroes return to the Special Zone anytime soon?

-Maybe this is spoiler-ish for the upcoming Enerjak arc so I'll understand if you don't answer this question: Is the "new" Enerjak's armor a new one or is it the same armor Dimitri wore? What happened to that armor when he was defeated back then?

-Any news on the "Sonic Select Archives"?

Thanks in advance. Have a good day.
Last edited by Adamis on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Luger » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:30 pm

In issue #150, we see Echidnaopolis has been rebuild significantly, yet in issue #171, it's reverted to a bunch of huts and muchrooms. We know that the original Echidnaopolis is now called "Dingo City" and is run by the Dingoes, but the rebuilt one was nowhere to be seen in #171.

My questions are:
1.) How were the Echidnas able to rebuild as much as they had in #150 when the Dingoes were controlling Angel Island and most Echidnas were imprisoned?
2.) What happened to the rebuilt, brand new Echidnaopolis from #150?
Last edited by Luger on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Lobotomy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:44 am

1.Will we ever see more references to this bodystyle of Robotnik?

2. Can you draw?

3. Do you ever get hopped-up on energy drinks?
Lobotomy
BumbleNoble

Postby Carl Fox » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 pm

Ashura The Hedgehog wrote:2. Can you draw?

See http://ianpotto.deviantart.com/ for answer. :)
Carl Fox
BumbleNewbie

Postby Lobotomy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 am

Never saw that...ah well, disregard.
Lobotomy
BumbleNoble

Postby Glaber » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 am

1. Is there a reason why your adaptions/Tie ins are more like advertisements (Ex the Rush adaption and SA2 Adaption done by someone else) rather than stories that get the reader curious about the game like what the Triple Trouble and the Multi Issue Sonic Adventure Adaption did?

2. How sure are you that fans of the comic will be confused about the old Robotnik when the archives and the SatAM box set have both been released?

3. If Sega asks you to do another adaption can you make be a full story rather than just an incomplete story that says in a snotty tone "You're going to have to buy the game if you want the full story"? (Like it has been since the SA2 adaption.)
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:53 am

Can we assume that the Sonic Rush Adventure Story is non-canon since the green chaos emerald should still be in the special Zone?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby zjstress » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:24 pm

1. How many issues is the current Enerjak Returns saga going to last?

2. Do you have any definite plans as of yet for the Zonic saga you were interested in writing in 2008?

3. As said before, do you have any plans for classic Robotnik now that he's been reintroduced via Sonic Archives and SatAM? Personally, I'd like to see him return, and that's why I saw The Darkest Storm as such a disappointment, as well as his god-awful return in # 108.

4. Which announced newcomer in Super Smash Bros. Brawl are you most excited for as of yet?
zjstress
BumbleNewbie

Postby apprentice manta » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:39 am

Ian has answered #2 before in this topic

Ian Potto wrote:As of right this very moment, SatAM-Robotnik is dead and gone forever.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:52 am

Answers for 10/7/07

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Question #1 wrote:Can we assume that the Sonic Rush Adventure Story is non-canon since the green chaos emerald should still be in the special Zone?

The SRA tie-in should be considered canon unless otherwise indicated. The ultimate fate of the Green Chaos Emerald and how close we'll be following the events of the game will be touched one when we can. So as of right now we know Sonic and Tails wound up in Blaze's world, encountered Marine, made it back home, and that the Special Zone has two less emeralds. The rest will come in time.

Question #2 wrote:How were the Echidnas able to rebuild as much as they had in #150 when the Dingoes were controlling Angel Island and most Echidnas were imprisoned?

By the end of "Return to Angel Island," the Dingoes had lost their captives. Most were teleported to the Egg Grapes by the Hunter and ultimately met their end. The handful that escaped all of Dr. Eggman's forces were then under the watch and care of Locke. Under his protection they were able to begin their rebuilding and managed to create a meager township. There wasn't much shown rebuilt in STH#150.

As Locke's obsession with finding the Brotherhood intensified he spent increasingly less time looking over the village of Echidnaopolis. Without his protection, Kage's forces began their slow, almost tortuous breakdown of all they'd built. This is indicated by Wynmacher's line in STH#165. Due to their desperate situation, the protection by the Destructix was welcomed with open arms. It also allowed for that last bit of Locke's guilty concinese to be silenced; his people were safe, so he could search for the Brotherhood uninterrupted.

Question #3 wrote:What happened to the rebuilt, brand new Echidnaopolis from #150?

There was no Echidnaopolis save for in name only. What wasn't destroyed by the Dingo raids is what you saw in STH#165 - a humble village.

Question #4 wrote:Is there a reason why your adaptions/Tie ins are more like advertisements (Ex the Rush adaption and SA2 Adaption done by someone else) rather than stories that get the reader curious about the game like what the Triple Trouble and the Multi Issue Sonic Adventure Adaption did? If Sega asks you to do another adaption can you make be a full story rather than just an incomplete story that says in a snotty tone "You're going to have to buy the game if you want the full story"? (Like it has been since the SA2 adaption.)

We usually work six months ahead of the current issue. While you all are enjoying STH#180 at the end of September, I'm already finishing up the script that will be running in March. The short time I've been on the book, we're typically given advance material from the games three months before release (if we do a tie-in). This leaves us with very little room to change plans and produce a story. So we could throw the entire continuity off by a few month and try to rush out lead stories, or we can do a back-up that brings in some of the game elements and allows us plenty of room to make things mesh down the road. On top of that, a 5-6 page back-up is much easier to produce quickly and accurate to the game's elements. It's the path of least resistance and the greatest rewards.

There is nothing "snotty" about the final tag lines encouraging you to play the games. If you're going to play the game, why would you want to lose a month or more of story to something you already know? If you're not going to play the games, you either hit up Wikipedia or wait for us to weave it into our universe.

Question #5 wrote:Do you have any definite plans as of yet for the Zonic saga you were interested in writing in 2008?

Nothing is "definite" until its published, but I do have ideas for Zonic and the multiverse. I hope we'll see some of them next year.

Question #6 wrote:Variable questions about older Robotnik designs.

First and foremost, I'm certain Sega would not get behind the idea of presenting something that does not mesh with the current universe. The very first design, the "beach-ball" design if you will, was never part of the continuity. The SatAM design is already over one hundred issues out of date; nearly eight years out of regular contiunity. While I don't want to ignore parts of the comic's past entirely I also want the book to be readily accessible for the new readers.
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Glaber » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:32 pm

1. You mentioned that doing these "Backups" was the path of least resistance and the greatest rewards. What are these rewards exactly? :?
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Oceanwind » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:05 pm

Has Sega ever imposed any changes on the Sonic X scripts since they are more strict with the Sonic X comic than StH?
Oceanwind
BumbleFan

Postby 2tailed » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:46 pm

1. Why has Sonic's picture been omitted from the upper left corner of the covers these days?
2. I miss the letters page. Any info on why Sonic-Grams seems to have died?
3. Will we get a story substantially featuring Dulcy sometime? (I noticed cameos of her in the 175-177 arc; that was neat.)
4. Could we see Scratch and Grounder return? ...o-occasionally?
5. Where are the Colonel and his wife these days (the bulldogs from Angel Island)?
Last edited by 2tailed on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius