MM#55 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: MM#55 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Just got to reading my issue

First of all, the letter I got from Archie saying what is going to happen to my subscription clearly says this is the final issue of Mega Man, so if they are still going after the "Hiatus" story, someone forgot to tell the subscriptions department to put the finale on the down low.

Second of all, this final "arc" got progressively worse and worse for me as a reader of the comic. The firs issue seemed like a great way to end the series: We had hints of what was to come, but a sort of "Mega Man will keep fighting on and on!" letting us know that whatever threats will come, he'll be ready.

The second issue set up an arc that we'll never see, while ending the stories of some comic characters (though it does introduce a new character we will never ever get to see again)

This issue... its just a megaphone going "LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF WE WANTED TO TELL, BUT YOU WILL NEVER EVER SEE EVER!"

I mean, they even designed a young Dr. Weil for the elf war. What is even the purpose besides to go "yeah, we could have done more, but we can't"?

I must say the comic has been my favorite comic series, and I am truly sad to see it go. I doubt whatever replaces it will be as good, but hey, all things must come to an end, I guess.

The tributes at the end were nice, but I would still like to know why Archie wasn't more forward with things. Even now, the "So long... for now" is throwing mixed messages at us.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:47 pm

Mordum wrote:
MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Tylinos wrote:The two-Wilys page intrigued me, but I get the feeling we won't be getting an explanation there anytime soon.

It's just reference of events in Megaman World II (gameboy game). Again, you can stare at it for hour and no extra meaning will come out.
(I'm being cranky again, aren't I? Sorry, I'm stopping).

I'm torn between not thinking the finale issue went nearly artsy enough and really wanting to dig deep into your intense hatred of anything resembling abstract thought.

Sigh, I'm not sure if I'm a mood for discussion like that.

Instead, can you tell me what "hidden meaning" you see in this issue?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Tylinos » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Tylinos wrote:The two-Wilys page intrigued me, but I get the feeling we won't be getting an explanation there anytime soon.

It's just reference of events in Megaman World II (gameboy game). Again, you can stare at it for hour and no extra meaning will come out.

Oh! Alright. Sorry, I'd never played any of the Gameboy Mega Man games, so I didn't know that was even a thing that happened.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:06 am

My brother was saddened by the fact there was an Elf War page, because he knew he'd never get to see that story come to fruition, but as a fan of Mega Man, I'm glad we got to see some Elf War ANYTHING, especially with it showing Axl around. The big question here though is: Why is Zero still in his old body while fighting Omega? Shouldn't he be in his new body?

My brother had a theory

Spoiler: show
Judging at how Elf War Axl looks, my brother theorizes that the Zero in the Zero series is actually using Axl's body
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:14 am

This was by far Archie's best written series. It really is a shame to see it go. Great characterization, real flaws, actual consequences, and of course fun action. I'm really going to miss this gem.

Something about the Mega Man 6 page has me wondering something. So we all know that Wily was going to take Mr. X's place. But in the top left of the page we see someone, presumably the real Mr. X, being thrown into some kind of portal. I wonder if Wily was going to banish Mr. X to be lost in time (or something) in order to take his place and orchestrate the events of Mega Man 6.

What do you think?

BTW: That Short Circuit was amazing! But why was retail Mega Man shown with the Captain N Mega Man? Just wondering.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:This was by far Archie's best written series. It really is a shame to see it go. Great characterization, real flaws, actual consequences, and of course fun action. I'm really going to miss this gem.

Something about the Mega Man 6 page has me wondering something. So we all know that Wily was going to take Mr. X's place. But in the top left of the page we see someone, presumably the real Mr. X, being thrown into some kind of portal. I wonder if Wily was going to banish Mr. X to be lost in time (or something) in order to take his place and orchestrate the events of Mega Man 6.

What do you think?

BTW: That Short Circuit was amazing! But why was retail Mega Man shown with the Captain N Mega Man? Just wondering.

I'm honestly surprised Capcom would allow ARchie to poke fun at the Moon thing. I would think that MML3 would be something shameful that they would want to have forgotten.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:01 pm

At least the last issue makes me miss the comic less.

I can kind of see the intentions Ian had for the issue. But between the clip show presentation and lazily dredging up another time travel plot device, the issue is just pointless and doesn't give off a proper send-off. To it's credit I will say the issue was better than Rock of Ages just for the poster quality art pieces, but that's not saying much. And I can appreciate how the timeline between MMX and MMZ is a hodgepodge of both art styles.

If one were to look for a deep meaning in this issue. You could almost interpret Dr. Light as the reader, only to wake up from reading the last issue and moving on with their life. Slowly forgetting the comic ever existed.

In the end, the off panel was a more worthwhile send-off.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:00 am

Finally got the issue! It took willpower not to go and torrent it beforehand or dive here to see what people thought.

Okay, so ... the main story didn't disappoint me. I guess I'm in the minority, but I found it pretty satisfying. Maybe because it was exactly what I expected? I liked the little continuity touches they tossed in.
Spoiler: show
MM looking confused in the MM4 splash was spot on and Bright doesn't look too happy either. The Stardroids splash was nice. I didn't take RaMoon's presence as an indication of his survival, but since it was mentioned earlier maybe it was. I like Plant's sad expression in the MM6 splash. MM9's splash is probably the best. Light, you short sighted moron, why do you think they look sad?

But the real interesting bits are the World 2 and Elf Wars splashes. Since they're things you don't really normally see in regular continuity progression. I suppose in the Archieverse Quint just flat-out becomes MM. So far we haven't seen that time travellers can actually change the past, so I guess in this timeline he really does become Quint. No alternate future or anything. Which is ironic given that World 2 is actually one of the worse games in the series and Quint a pretty lame boss.

It's also pretty dark In World 5 MM flat-out destroys Quint, essentially committing suicide. But, who knows? All the other robots survived. Maybe Quint would have survived after that too.

I appreciated seeing the Elf Wars as a splash in itself and not just background exposition. But, yeah, shouldn't Zero be using Omega's body? Or maybe he should be in his Zero era body? I like that Light is a Cyber Elf.

The Legends splash could have used a moon in the background, if they wanted to maximise the foreshadowing. Buuuut maybe not.

No XOver splash, though? In theory that could have been one interesting storyline.

Anyway, I thought it was a good ending. Pretty much what I expected.

One thing I'm glad about is that my fan name of "Steel Devil" got used in an official product for Dreamwave's character. HAH! And they snuck in EXE and Star Force's Megamen as silhouettes too. And Cap N's Megaman. No offense to the rest of the issue, but that was probably the best part of the comic.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Zulon Eredas » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:32 am

Did nobody notice the Dr. Light Cyber Elf?
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:48 am

Zulon Eredas wrote:Did nobody notice the Dr. Light Cyber Elf?

I noticed, but the inclusion of this page just makes me sad we'll never see more. This is all we are ever going to get.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Axel T Rat » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:40 pm

+Wow. All those alternate versions in the last part. Also, I'm getting flashbacks to the last ep of Freakazoid
+While it is recycling the premise of Rock of Ages, I kinda like how its all done in splash pages.
+Well...certainly wasn't expecting to see the gap between MMX and MMZ.
+Let alone old Wily and the Quint transition
+The fan art, especially the Toad Man/Blade Runner one which seems to fit for this issue
+Just the fact that its from Dr. Light's POV and seeing his thoughts
+Noting that Plant Man and the MM4 designs seem more reluctant to fight.

-Yeah we were kind of expecting Rock to meet all his future succesors from the cover, but this works too
-Its the end...
+...But the moment has been prepared for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9NyK7Kax8
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby Zulon Eredas » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:05 pm

I can't believe I didn't notice that Dr. Weil's design is based off unused concept art.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Sockie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Finally got this.

Such a bittersweet ending. Ian, Jamal, and everyone else who worked on this book... thanks.
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Got my copy arrived at the comic store this week only so finally got to read it.

All the one page glimpses just made me saaaaaaaad :( hopefully we get good Mega Man news from Archie soon. If they go thru with a new #1 like Mega Man X, I'd still rather have a Mega Man ongoing again.

(I liked seeing Time Man in action again, with Flash Man too. Game4 had Pharoah Man as a prominent character would have been great, darn. Since the Game1 robot masters got to be seen in one page, it's counts as their tribute and its the game 2 and 3 guys who kinda get shortchanged a splash page, haha. Never got to see Top Man, Metal Man, Magnet Man again.)
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby DoNotDelete » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:14 am

Ian Flynn wrote:
Ryannumber1gamer wrote:I mean no offence to Ian, but this sounds like it has the Sonic #250 problem of most of the pages being amazing pieces of artwork, but not having any substance to them. I hope that isn't the case, but it sounds like it is.

It's the exact opposite. Each page needs to be unpacked to some degree or another. Heck, I thought the symbolism was heavy-handed. Maybe I went too cerebral/artsy with this one.

I don't know that this issue came across as 'cerebral', I can't say I found it intellectually challenging at all.

My biggest criticism is that I got the feeling you were trying to set this issue up as some kind of 'Mega Man Tribute' art book or something - if that was your intention it didn't come off hugely successfully either. As nice as Ryan's artwork is - and I don't know how big your role was in plotting each image (meaning the blame for what I'm about to say may not be entirely on Ryan) - the artwork feels very samey and becomes boring very quickly - and I can't really blame Ryan for that because the whole point of a tribute art book is that a lot of different artists get to throw their hand in - and with different artists come different approaches to producing a piece of page art - meaning each page could have offered a different and fresh perspective - as the actual 'Mega Man Tribute' art books do.

So I guess what I'm saying is - if the premise was to produce some kind of art book tribute - knowing that only one artist was going to be producing all the interior artwork, then the idea for Mega Man #55 - though well-intentioned - was doomed to fall flat on its face (artistically speaking). Not that Ryan isn't an awesome artist who I have a great deal of respect for. Though - for a comic book coming to the end of its run I don't know how feasible it would have been to have each page be produced by a different artist - but isn't that something you would have/could have/should have considered in writing/plotting this final issue?

So - apologies for being blunt - but for me Mega Man #55 was unsatisfying and not very challenging - both artisitically and intellectually. I was most likely expecting too much though. Also Red Shift and Blue Shift were good. Also the issue before Worlds Unite started was good.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but I never really felt that Archie Mega Man did enough to justify my subscription to it. It had its moments of insight - and Worlds Collide was a wonderful thing to have happened - but I always kind of resented my subscription to it - probably because I was only really supporting Archie Mega Man on the promise of getting a Mega Man X spin-off. In the end I had a lot of resentment for Archie Mega Man - especially during the Mega Man 3 adaption which I felt was very lazily written and poorly artworked. I've only really stuck around to the end because I wanted to see how it would end. If I hadn't known the comic was going to end shortly after (the abysmal) Worlds Unite crossover I wouldn't have stuck around.

I rate your Sonic and Sonic Universe efforts very highly, Ian - but I'm sorry to say that your Mega Man efforts have always fallen short for me. I certainly wouldn't rate your Mega Man run as a 'jewel' in your 'creative crown of achievements' - but you probably feel differently about that.

EDIT: corrected 'Worlds Collide' to 'Worlds Unite' where relevant (I sometimes get those mixed up because I'm a numpty).
Last edited by DoNotDelete on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!