MM#55 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

MM#55 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:39 am

It's not supposed to be out yet, but apparently it's online, so go for it...?

I will say that while a ton of heart was poured into this, it didn't come out exactly as I wanted. Structurally, it's a bit of a retread of MM#20, but that's because Capcom insisted on some kind of framing device. Originally, I wanted it as a stand-alone piece; something that held up all of Mega Man to behold, celebrating the legacy in an "artsy" sort of way.

(Funnily enough, MM#20 didn't go as I wanted either - I thought starting it during the Wily Wars only made it more confusing. The Time Skimmer just causes all sorts of problems - ha!)

Most of my intentions came through, and as it is it still acts as a curtain call for the series. But if you go through it and go "Isn't this basically "Rock of Ages" 2.0?" Then yeah, it kinda is. =P

Anyway - thank you all so much for reading. And don't just pass it off as "Eye-Candy, The Issue." Ever single page is very precisely designed with hints, nuances and symbolism what what my long-term plans were.

Edit: Since I guess I wasn't clear. The entire reason Dr. Light is the one having the visions is because Capcom wanted there to be a framing device. The original draft didn't have any of that - it was each page (or two-page spreads, in some cases) telling their individual stories. Either way, the main idea is still there: you have to deconstruct each page as its own story. If you look at it as "just some pin-up," you're missing out.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: MM#55 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:24 am

The story was A LOT simpler than what #20 was. 80% of it were essentially full-page pin-ups with commentary by Doc Light. Not that it was a bad thing, per say.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby SonicWindAttack » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Okay... now that I've had some time to process what I just read, I can state my clear opinion on it. A lot of you probably won't have the issue for a while, and I know you had high hopes for this one. Therefore, I feel it's my duty to say...

Spoiler: show
Don't. This issue is a disappointment. Maybe it's only because of the two excellent issues that came before it, but this one just fell completely flat to me. Rather than being a beautiful swan song for the comic to go out on (if only temporarily), I'd go so far as to say it's the weakest issue of the entire series. There's nothing of substance here. Rather than taking an interesting, dynamic look into future events, it looks more like us seeing posters for each time period's respective games. The art is great, but it's pure fan-service, nothing more. The only page I found remotely interesting was the Elf Wars one, because it actually SHOWED STUFF HAPPENING, and something we hadn't seen before at that. That's what the entire issue should've been like, in my opinion. Instead of making pictures covering entire games, they should've focused on singular, iconic moments and made them look as epic as possible. I understand what Ian was going for with this one, I really do. And since he apparently wasn't allowed to go with his original plans, I can't be too harsh. But I know a lot of you were really looking forward to this issue, so I think it's best I lower your expectations now so you don't wait all that time just to be massively disappointed. A final blaze of glory this was not.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby Archdeco » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Sigh.

Sure will be nice when Archie has money again.
Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:31 pm

...I'm not angry. Just disappointed. Ending with glorified ad isn't what I wanted. The art is pretty (MM9 looks really cool), but those are just posters. Megaman X/Zero/ZX/Legends are so much promoted on the cover, but have only few pages for them self and are even blander then MM4-10 posters.

Also I kinda question Light's logic. He sees all this pain and devastation, questions his morals and decisions, only to say "meh, I did good". I know we couldn't have downer ending, but that doesn't seems consistent.

The only good part? Off Panel. It's funny bunch of cameos and this song just makes me kinda mellow inside. Kinda reminds me of Batman Brave and the Bold (anyone watched it? Great show)

I know that this isn't what Flynn wanted, but just like with "Rock of Ages" I'm not really impressed. Technically it's not the bad way, but it is the easiest and laziest way to end the comic.

Also, anyone noticed any hints that Flynn was talking about? From what I can guess
Spoiler: show
1 Willy was going to throw Xander into a portal and take his place
2 Stardroids were going to rebuild Ra Moon as Willy Star
3 Willy Wars would have contain Quint, Killers and Genesis Unit

Any luck on your side?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:07 pm

The entire reason Dr. Light is the one having the visions is because Capcom wanted there to be a framing device. The original draft didn't have any of that - it was each page (or two-page spreads, in some cases) telling their individual stories. Either way, the main idea is still there: you have to deconstruct each page as it's own story. If you look at it as "just some pin-up," you're missing out.

I kinda feel like Dr. Light having the visions adds more to the story/his character.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:55 am

Archdeco wrote:Sure will be nice when Archie has money again.

Is there any official word in the comic on how long the hiatus will be? Or the reasons behind it?

I ask because it's unlikely I'll be able to pick this comic up until the new year.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:57 am

It honestly sounds like they don't know. It comes off as an open-ended thing.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:04 am

Ian Flynn wrote:Edit: Since I guess I wasn't clear. The entire reason Dr. Light is the one having the visions is because Capcom wanted there to be a framing device. The original draft didn't have any of that - it was each page (or two-page spreads, in some cases) telling their individual stories. Either way, the main idea is still there: you have to deconstruct each page as its own story. If you look at it as "just some pin-up," you're missing out.

..that makes thing less clear to me. Is Ian saying that original script had even less words and even bigger panels?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:25 am

It really is a bunch of pinups. They're nice pinups, at least. Most of them are somewhat barebones, but they're nice. It's not really that interesting though, and the framing device doesn't add anything at all.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby akessel92 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:02 pm

To me this issue more of an empty urn. Appropriate because the comic's fate is uncertain. I mean it's nice but it's just empty and I just feel the spark is out. I know I'm being Johnny rain cloud but does anybody honestly think that is just a hiatus? I mean look at megaman's track record, it's always ended and it never lasts.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby RaceProUK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:09 pm

akessel92 wrote:To me this issue more of an empty urn. Appropriate because the comic's fate is uncertain. I mean it's nice but it's just empty and I just feel the spark is out. I know I'm being Johnny rain cloud but does anybody honestly think that is just a hiatus? I mean look at megaman's track record, it's always ended and it never lasts.

It'd be a shame if it is the end; if it wasn't for the comics, I'd have probably never developed an interest in the Mega Man franchise.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby EvilEddie » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:44 pm

So what's the over/under on time frame for Ian writing Cancelled Robot Tales?

Five years?
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:54 pm

I haven't read the issue yet, but going off what other people have said, not only am I worried for the future, but I'm worried that the potential final issue for a bit has been turned into a glorified ad. I mean no offence to Ian, but this sounds like it has the Sonic #250 problem of most of the pages being amazing pieces of artwork, but not having any substance to them. I hope that isn't the case, but it sounds like it is.

Being honest, if this really does turn out to either be a cancellation or a reboot, I will be heavily disappointed. I won't mix words when I say Mega Man #54 was one of the best works to come out of Ian to date in my honest opinion, and I loved pretty much every element of that issue.

I just wish Archie or someone would give us a clear answer either way. We're getting a bunch of these quotes that go either way, but imply it. Stuff like "My long-term plans were". That's my main problem with how everything regarding this hiatus has been handled. Some people say it's all good, and it'll be back soon enough, while other people are already talking about the plans for the comic's future in the past tense, implying that these are not going to happen. It worries me incredibly that Archie is just screwing all Mega Man fans and trying to keep them going on false hope in order to sell Graphic Novels and then, they'll just bury Mega Man for good. I hope that isn't the case, but every time MM is talked about in the past sense, it just makes me think that this is the case.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby EvilEddie » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:04 pm

In order to sell graphic novels though they'd actually have to release them.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!