Mega Man #53 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #53 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Axel T Rat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:58 pm

BTW, did we have to close the Worlds Unite and Boom forums that soon? I still had some commentary for the final issues to share. >_<

+The Robot Museum and hints towards 7 and 9
+Crystal Man and Pump Man
+"Don't leave me hanging. That's an order."
+Ability copy fistbump
+Background logos
+Seems they're setting up 4, 5, and 6 all at once here.

-On the down side, like many peeps are noticing, that seems to hint that those won't be adapted and its just gonna do what the Sonic comics do often and just advertise the games. Nothing confirmed though, but the thought's still there.

+On the up side, if those three did get grazed over, that would mean we would finally get to where Bass is a regular.

=Still wouldn't mind those fleshed out though.

-Man, I am so gonna miss this series. Really hope it gets renewed.
-Still can't get used to that young Wily haircut. From the front side it reminds me of Eggman's stache at the end of Lost World if you know what I mean.
-Yes those are bad puns, Cut Man.

=One more thing, while I do like seeing old toons acknowledged, the Short Circuits was a little...off for me.
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Axel T Rat wrote:BTW, did we have to close the Worlds Unite and Boom forums that soon? I still had some commentary for the final issues to share. >_<

They... aren't?

Shuffled off to the side, sure, but I don't see any big locks on them.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Axel T Rat » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:44 am

*scrolls down* Oh~ My bad.
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby Zack_GLC » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm so sad this series is ending. Even if it is temporary. It is so well done and I hope it isn't completely cancelled. I don't want to have to play all the games! Even though I will eventually....
Zack_GLC
BumbleNoble

Postby Bean » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Finally didn't have to go talking with customer support to get an issue. It feels good, and so does this issue as it finally gets back to what I want to read in a Mega Man comic. This one felt more like a second aftermath issue to the Mega Man 3 arc until the end when it shifted into "Hey! Mega Man 4's coming if this comic doesn't go away for good!", but we'll see about that down the road.

I kind of laughed at the letter in the back since that complaint about Roll doing nothing should go to Capcom and not Archie, but it's cool to see a parent actually paying attention to what their kid does in this day and age.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sunwalker » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:55 am

Bean wrote:I kind of laughed at the letter in the back since that complaint about Roll doing nothing should go to Capcom and not Archie, but it's cool to see a parent actually paying attention to what their kid does in this day and age.

I wish I got a penny every time I saw the line "in this day and age" or "strong female character" threw around -_-. They are so overused that they lost their original meaning, it just reeks of political correctness. Sorry to be blunt, but this moher just sounds like yet another of those overzealous SJW "soccer moms".

For me, as long both the story and the characters are interesting, I couldn't care less if they carry a mop, are a damsel is distress or whatever. It isn't such things what determines the quality.

Edit: I have reread the letter, and got to the conclusion that this "mom" is just actually a concern troll. She says that the comics are read regularly, but Archie's answer let it clear that she didn't really read, or at least didn't read much, or she would know of the examples of action heroines that were given in the reply and wouldn't complain in the first place. It was just a troll, and Archie presented it as if it was a special something... Better they pay more attention next time instead of being guided by emotions.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby DoNotDelete » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:55 am

Roll is a domestic robot. She's literally designed/intended to be a house cleaner and not a hero robot. Mega Man had to be completely re-purposed to change him from being a domestic robot to being a combat robot. There's no shame in Roll fulfilling her intended function.

I haven't seen the letter myself (I've not been to my comic provider this week), but complaining about Roll being preoccupied with doing domestic chores and not playing the hero 'frequently enough' just shows that this person doesn't understand the characters.

Unnecessary political correctness/social justice nonsense.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:02 am

It makes sense in context because while Dr. Light is a sweet old man, he's still a sweet old man. Rock and Roll are made in the image and perceptions of an old man. An optimistic futuristic maybe, but still an old man who probably grew up around certain values. Choosing to remodel the boy to fight instead of the girl feels more like a character trait than legitimate sexism. There's an argument to be made for Dr. Light being latently sexist (as a characterization choice, not a writing flaw) and the skewed mindset and perspective it probably does require to consider robots his children the way he does.

But it's not a social argument, per se.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:25 am

And really until Splash Woman it was a legitimate complaint of the series that in a cast with over 60 named characters, there was only one girl and she was only built to clean the house, and never ascended past that. It's a quirk of the series, it doesn't break the series, but it was absolutely a thing. Roll is a great character, but when she was the only female character after 8 games, there was some scrutiny to be had.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 am

Sunwalker wrote:
Bean wrote:I kind of laughed at the letter in the back since that complaint about Roll doing nothing should go to Capcom and not Archie, but it's cool to see a parent actually paying attention to what their kid does in this day and age.

I wish I got a penny every time I saw the line "in this day and age" or "strong female character" threw around -_-. They are so overused that they lost their original meaning, it just reeks of political correctness. Sorry to be blunt, but this moher just sounds like yet another of those overzealous SJW "soccer moms".

For me, as long both the story and the characters are interesting, I couldn't care less if they carry a mop, are a damsel is distress or whatever. It isn't such things what determines the quality.

Edit: I have reread the letter, and got to the conclusion that this "mom" is just actually a concern troll. She says that the comics are read regularly, but Archie's answer let it clear that she didn't really read, or at least didn't read much, or she would know of the examples of action heroines that were given in the reply and wouldn't complain in the first place. It was just a troll, and Archie presented it as if it was a special something... Better they pay more attention next time instead of being guided by emotions.

Yeah because how dare someone want to see more female characters actually doing things. Those Darn SJWs and there simple requests. :roll:
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:45 am

I can see little girl fans want to see Roll take a more active roll. The MM series is pretty male-dominated and Roll is just a helper type.

Personally, I wouldn't like Roll being more of a star. That's just not who Roll is. Not everyone can be a fighter after all. But that's one reason I was warming to Quake Woman. She let the comic have a female fighter type without changing who Roll is.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 am

I'm a girl and I don't mind not having all female characters taking an active role.

This is just another stupid overdramatic "any female character who cooks, cleans, or doesn't do any fighting must be a weak character and that's regression!" type of thing that really has no place in the comic.

Besides, there was a time where Roll regretted that she didn't volunteer to be modified for combat, but only for the sake of not seeing her brother do it instead. Where she lacks in physical strength, she makes for it compassion and love, yunno? I don't think that should be considered "sexist" and changed for the sake of appeasing some SJWs butting in their extreme views on something they probably hardly know anything about to begin with.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:28 am

Gauntlet101010 wrote:I can see little girl fans want to see Roll take a more active roll. The MM series is pretty male-dominated and Roll is just a helper type.

Most women are not tomboys, so I can't see little girls, if they read MM, minding the series being male-dominated that much. I agree with SonicSoul that this is most likely a case of one overly zealous "feminist" who's trying to use MM as an example of "damsels in distress in fiction" without bothering to research who the character is first.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Again, Roll was the ONLY girl in a series with 70+ named characters. That there was only one female character, and she was relegated to the maid was an issue. The games eventually made Splash Woman, and Archie eventually made Tempo, but it is absolutely reasonable to have an issue with Roll since for the absolute majority of the series she is the only female character to exist, and is still the prominent one.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:45 pm

...except for Kalinka.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!