Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:37 pm

N'egga Man wrote:I don't know if anyone's already brought it up before, but apparently Mega Man 4's events don't happen until at least a year after MM3. So maybe the hiatus is also being used to prevent a lot of filler arcs? Then the first issue if/when it returns could have a "One Year Later" footnote at the beginning... or maybe I'm too optimistic.

I hope not. I always found the "filler" arcs to be much, MUCH better than the game adaptations.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Even though I didn't read the Mega Man comics much, it's a shame the comic is going on hiatus. I hope that the hiatus won't last for TOO long either, and seeing how they talk like the comic won't continue is real concerning, especially with the MM #53 solicit. Also, if they reboot the comics, then I wonder what the reboot would be like? And why is the hiatus happening?
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:37 am

Nobody actually knows why, but it's a smart bet that Archie needs the money to produce it's main books - Archie and Jughead. There was a recent aborted Kickstarter you can Google.

I also gotta chime in on saying I like the "filler" stuff. World building and character development? Yes, please!
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby N'egga Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:23 am

Sorry, I didn't mean that I don't like those in-between moments (in fact, they're also some of my favourite issues). I just worded it wrong. What I meant was that the one-year gap in-universe between Mega Man 3 & 4's events could mean the hiatus doesn't necessarily 'freeze' Mega Man's timeline, just that stuff happens 'off-panel'.

Spoiler: show
Though to be fair, it would mean we'd miss out on a lot of behind-the-scenes plot points, such as Dr. Cossack being forced to work for Wily, the creation/introduction of his 8 Robot Masters, where Blues fits into everything etc. But if the hiatus does end up bringing us back into Mega Man's world "one year later", then I'd at least like to see the characters reference any events that we - the readers - missed, whether it's through flashbacks or otherwise. Maybe Rock and Dr. Cossacks Robot Masters (bar Skull Man and Ring Man) got to know each other a bit more, making their eventual 'betrayal' more devastating for the Blue Bomber. Maybe Mr. X is plotting something without Wily knowing. Maybe the Emerald Spears made a dramatic return during Wily's 'death'. (And I also just realised that we actually haven't seen those guys in 20XX since before Worlds Collide. Wow.) Maybe there were some more crazy hijinks with Roll and the others. Maybe Shadow Man starts to have his own hidden agenda involving the Stardroids. And maybe Dr. Light's still curious about what he saw during Issue #55 (depending on how it ends).

...I'm just rambling at this point. Anyway, I want to stay optimistic for this comics future, but I guess for now only time will tell what could happen to Mega Man.
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

Postby Tylinos » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 am

N'egga Man wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean that I don't like those in-between moments (in fact, they're also some of my favourite issues). I just worded it wrong. What I meant was that the one-year gap in-universe between Mega Man 3 & 4's events could mean the hiatus doesn't necessarily 'freeze' Mega Man's timeline, just that stuff happens 'off-panel'.

Yeah, this is pretty much my hope too. There have been some pretty great stories in the times in-between adaptations, but if there's anything that this hiatus can do positively, it's have a timeskip to Mega Man 4. That way, it doesn't feel as much like everything was just on hold in the meantime, and gives a sense of progression even though the comic's been away.

Plus, even for those who don't want a timeskip, a jump to MM4 would at least be far better than skipping to post-MM10. Or a reboot. Or the comic not coming back at all.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 pm

All I ask if there's a way to pick up where the comic left off. Please do so cause I was really interested in this series to see how Bass would be introduce and the rest of the Mega Man series. I know us customers can't do anything about this hiatus, but let them hear us that some of us wish for the Mega Man not to change at all. I like these stories a lot.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Ashman17 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:29 am

I just think that the sales for Mega Man aren't really doing that well at the moment so Archie is deciding to put it on hold at the moment until a high demand for the comic comes from the fans.
Ashman17
BumbleNewbie

Postby Tylinos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:09 pm

Ashman17 wrote:I just think that the sales for Mega Man aren't really doing that well at the moment so Archie is deciding to put it on hold at the moment until a high demand for the comic comes from the fans.

I don't know about subscription numbers, but for most months, direct sales numbers for Mega Man haven't been that far behind Universe.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby EvilEddie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:05 am

Ashman17 wrote:I just think that the sales for Mega Man aren't really doing that well at the moment so Archie is deciding to put it on hold at the moment until a high demand for the comic comes from the fans.

So forever then.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Bean » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Yeah, that's probably not going to happen. Sonic fans may get a bad rap, but they are extremely loyal and interested in side media like comics along with the games, sometimes in spite of their quality. It's looking more and more like Mega Man fans just want games, and even then, they don't always show up. It's rather frustrating, but it looks like it's the reality.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby nuckles87 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Going by my talk with Vincent Lovallo at SDCC, Mega Man didn't sound like it was getting a reboot, so much as future plans were being rewritten.

Unfortunately it looks like most people didn't catch my video interview, but you can hear his exact words here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEuMtGG ... be&t=8m33s
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Rewritten? What for? Is this another Pendering?
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 pm

What could possibly be Pendered from this book? It's only had one writer who signed all the contracts and there's only a small handful of non-Capcom characters. What's being rewritten is that it probably won't be an ongoing of single-issue floppies.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby EvilEddie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:38 pm

If anything's just being "rewritten" it's probably due to Vincent not agreeing with whatever framework Paul had set down.

The interview in the OP makes me believe it's gonna be more than just a rewrite though. That is if it even comes back.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:56 pm

EvilEddie wrote:If anything's just being "rewritten" it's probably due to Vincent not agreeing with whatever framework Paul had set down.

The interview in the OP makes me believe it's gonna be more than just a rewrite though. That is if it even comes back.

So it's a pendering in reverse. Whereas we can't use elements that were getting good and found a use when they have been underused. Now it's we can't use elements cause they were overused.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!