Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Postby Bean » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:50 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Anyway, if people don't want a reboot or anything, spending the hiatus raising awareness of the trades and telling Archie that you want more of this is probably not the worst thing you could spend the time doing. If there are comic-exclusive elements you like and you've got some artistic talent, doing stuff with that to send them wouldn't be terrible, either.

If you're a member of other forums 'n things that aren't talking about the book? Maybe start a thread or conversation or whatever. Post about new trade releases on social media, whatever you can to get people picking up whatever we have left.

If I have to make a short video, I will. Goodness knows I thought the comic hit its stride after Mega Man 2's story and have been trying to hammer home the point that the series nailed it in both years three and four. That stopped with the copyright strikes, but yeah, I guess I could come up with something and provide a link to Archie's store on a video instead of it being buried on my channel thanks to YT's changes over the years.

I want this thing to continue right where it winds up leaving off because I was getting excited for what will happen between Mega Man 3 and 4, whether that would've been another storyline that brought in the Mega Man Killers & Genesis Unit as teased in Issue #20 or whatever.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:20 am

It's a little too soon for Xover. I think a comic could do Xover justice. Bad press or no, a huge crossover between Megaman would be a real draw and with the comic is could actually BE that, even if the source material was a tease.

The only real problem is the EXE series. Without that it isn't worth it.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 am

Gauntlet101010 wrote:It's a little too soon for Xover. I think a comic could do Xover justice. Bad press or no, a huge crossover between Megaman would be a real draw and with the comic is could actually BE that, even if the source material was a tease.

They have access to the entirety of the robotics timeline. That's more than ample for a good Xover adaptation.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:36 am

Penguin God wrote:
Mordum wrote:Dawn of X was probably the best possible way to introduce Megaman X into Archie's mythology.

If it was one or two issues maybe. I'm sure it could have been considered fine setup work, but it still wasn't that interesting to read for eighty pages.

I like X way more as some looming threat to supplement a present day character than a series unto itself (though I wouldn't mind it). Which, weirdly, makes Dawn of X/The X Factor or whatever it was all called one of my favorite stories in the series that also just happens to completely fail as the intended series pilot it is. Well, subjectively fail anyway. I really liked what it did to Xander as a character and its significance in his transformation into Mr. X, which happened to be way more interesting to me than ANYTHING in Megaman X.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:03 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:It's a little too soon for Xover. I think a comic could do Xover justice. Bad press or no, a huge crossover between Megaman would be a real draw and with the comic is could actually BE that, even if the source material was a tease.

They have access to the entirety of the robotics timeline. That's more than ample for a good Xover adaptation.

I can't agree. Xover is a crossover of ALL the Megamen. You can't do that and also take away one of the most popular and successful iteration of the franchise.

You can have a decent enough story with only the mainline series, but you can't really have a great one. And if we want an Xover story to deliver in ways the game didn't then you need BN. And Starforce (I guess).

An, as an aside, it's sad that the MEGAMAN legacy cover features so much red. But that's Capcom for you.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:43 am

Battle Network and Starforce can't be used because they're an alternate universe AND tied in in Viz's red tape.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:01 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:You know, I wonder if Ian being burned out on the books has anything to do with this.

considering that MM4 was the part Ian was most looking forward to, he didn't exactly relish getting his paycheck cut in half by losing 2 books, and he was actively looking for more books to work on even before that happened, I strongly doubt that
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Mordum wrote:
Penguin God wrote:
Mordum wrote:Dawn of X was probably the best possible way to introduce Megaman X into Archie's mythology.

If it was one or two issues maybe. I'm sure it could have been considered fine setup work, but it still wasn't that interesting to read for eighty pages.

I like X way more as some looming threat to supplement a present day character than a series unto itself (though I wouldn't mind it). Which, weirdly, makes Dawn of X/The X Factor or whatever it was all called one of my favorite stories in the series that also just happens to completely fail as the intended series pilot it is. Well, subjectively fail anyway. I really liked what it did to Xander as a character and its significance in his transformation into Mr. X, which happened to be way more interesting to me than ANYTHING in Megaman X.

I agree the Dawn of X made Xander more interesting (after the fact anyway, he was pretty much just spouting his same spiel during the event.) It was still way too long for such a simple plot, and it wore on me really quick. It was a good concept that needed a lot more meat than "stop a Wily Walker and a dude's here talking crazy."
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby diamonddeath » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Tonberry2k wrote:Megaman is the best thing they have going right now

Actually, the best thing they have going on right now is their own Archie series, financially speaking. It's what makes them the most money, which just adds fuel to the fire of the theory that the hiatus, reprint delays, and cancellation of Sonic Boom was to make up for the money they will need to hire the top notch artists they have planned for their Archie reboot, as they mentioned in their failed Kickstarter.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:19 pm

diamonddeath wrote:
Tonberry2k wrote:Megaman is the best thing they have going right now

Actually, the best thing they have going on right now is their own Archie series, financially speaking. It's what makes them the most money,

I was under the impression Sonic was their most successful title?
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicWindAttack » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Maybe it's childish of me to say this, but if the comics really reboot to a post-MM10 world, they could possibly tackle the stories of some of the better Mega Man fangames. I'd personally love to see adaptations of games like Unlimited and Rock Force.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby Tylinos » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Don't forget, there's also this part:

CA: With Mega Man going on hiatus with this issue, the series isn’t ending ending, but it is coming to close as we know it. Are there any storylines or characters you wish you could have expanded on more?

VL: Over the past few years we’ve incorporated our own “Archie-verse” characters like Quake Woman and Dr. Lalinde as well as agents Gil Stern and Roslyn Krantz. They’ve had a fair amount of time in the spotlight, but I’d be happy to see more of them. Also, now that we’ve officially tapped into territories outside of the Mega Man classic and Mega Man X series’, I would love to expand on the other iterations of the character even further. Time will tell if we ever get to that point, but I’m hoping we do!

IF: I’ve been building up to Dr. Cossack’s “uprising” since volume four, so I’m sad we aren’t getting to the pay-off for that in it’s entirety. I was also itching to dive into the Stardroids invasion, and fleshing out Quint. Folks also responded very positively to our original characters, so I would’ve liked to have expanded upon them further.

I could be reading into it the wrong way too, but all of this makes it sound like Vincent's hopeful about the book's future (he even says he hopes to see more of the comic-exclusive characters like Quake Woman coming back), while Ian might simply be in a position of just not knowing much more than we do, and not assuming it'll be back until he knows. And out of the two of them, Vincent's the guy more likely to have some sway over how it comes back and know what the higher-ups are saying. Ian's just a writer-for-hire.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby DudestofGuys » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:I was under the impression Sonic was their most successful title?

Single issues? Yeah, usually.
Their main source of revenue? Not really.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:50 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:Battle Network and Starforce can't be used because they're an alternate universe AND tied in in Viz's red tape.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Well that sucks. In fact, this whole entire situation sucks. I mean, we don't even have a real reason on why the book has to go on "hiatus".
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby akessel92 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:05 am

NxtWaltDisney wrote:
lalalei2001 wrote:Battle Network and Starforce can't be used because they're an alternate universe AND tied in in Viz's red tape.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Well that sucks. In fact, this whole entire situation sucks. I mean, we don't even have a real reason on why the book has to go on "hiatus".

Money simple as that.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!