Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #55 and Possible Reboot...?

Postby DudestofGuys » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:41 am

BlazeHeatnix wrote:Every time. Every freaking time something happens to Sonic or Mega Man people are just "overreacting" and get shot down for it, only for their predictions to have been true all along. EVERY. TIME. I call it the Archie Cycle.

I think you're overreacting.

That aside, I'll be pretty content if it's relaunched post-MM10 as its own book or part of a compilation title. I wasn't really a fan of the adaptations as much as the original stories and a book focused more on Rock, the Robot Masters, the OCs, and a less formulaic plot might actually be better for what I'm looking for. On the other end (and what I'm more inclined to believe is the case), if the book's cancelled...at least they gave it one heck of a shot. I mean, five years of sub-par sales and still going strong under Archie Comics? I'm surprised the book wasn't cancelled sooner. It's been fun; I really wish it had gone a different route, but still fun.

Really, the worst case scenario would be that the company buckles in after this and just produces more of their core line instead of continuing to experiment, branching out, and utilizing all the great artists who worked on the series for other projects.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Bean » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:01 pm

It probably doesn't help that there were thousands of views on full issues of videos on one person's channel for years before they finally got shut down recently. If they were actual subscribers, the comic would've been able to go on. I really do wonder if the Mega Man fan base is even that big at this point. It feels like they'd rather complain about Capcom than actually step up and support the series.

This book nailed the Mega Man universe, and it's going to be gone after a few more issues. I was eagerly waiting to see how things would go after Mega Man 3's awesome arc only to be met with the gut punch that it's going away and at best coming back as something completely different. That's frustrating. Honestly, I've been so tired of a good portion of the fan base lately with a lot of the MN9 griping and the lack of success this book's seen or wanting Capcom to make a "real" Mega Man game again when the reason they stopped making them in the first place was that people just weren't buying those either.

It's like the series can't win at this point, but you can't say it's for a lack of effort.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:29 pm

If they confirm a reboot. Not only will I annoyed with the comic, I would despise Worlds Unite even more because it took away precious issues of Mega Man, along with breaking the flow of it's plot all for a crossover that's been lackluster. Mega Man's one of the best comics I have ever read and I was so excited for the Mega Man 4 plot, especially with Wily assumed dead, Rock being forced to deal with the fact that some Robot Masters just don't want to be worker robots, and Proto Man's growing realization that he needs to forgive Dr. Light. If all these were thrown out for a stupid reboot, I would be totally disappointed with the comic.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm hoping this doesn't mean the series is going away forever-pretty much everything Ian wanted to do is stuff I wanted to see happen as well. In particular, I wanted to see how the Stardroids and Star Marshals would have played into things, and of course I would have loved a Mega Man 4 arc. Hopefully it will pick up from where it left off when this "hiatus" is over.

As for the plot of the final issue, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Worlds Unite was kind of an X overload, and the idea of Dr. Light witnessing X's adventures in the future poses the same problems caused if Mega Man and Roll remember the events of the crossover and tell him about it, in my opinion. I'm somewhat intrigued by the idea of an adaptation of Zero, but the ZX and Legends incarnations aren't really at the top of my list; Battle Network is probably my favorite variation of Mega Man after the Classic series.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Not only is Battle Network a different universe, it's under the iron grip of Viz Media
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Man this sounds like Dawn of X and Rock of Ages combined, and both were sort of a waste of time. Kind of a lame duck for an ending issue.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Dawn of X was probably the best possible way to introduce Megaman X into Archie's mythology.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Tahtorak » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:42 pm

If the comic DOES reboot, that means that the next Chronos Institute incident will be the equivalent of Super Sonic's semi-successful Super Genesis Wave-reversing Chaos Control (From Worlds Collide)!
Tahtorak
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Mordum wrote:Dawn of X was probably the best possible way to introduce Megaman X into Archie's mythology.

If it was one or two issues maybe. I'm sure it could have been considered fine setup work, but it still wasn't that interesting to read for eighty pages.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:16 pm

I found pretty much all of "Dawn of X" boring, I think introducing X's universe in "The X Factor" was fine, but the next story should have just been an issue focused on X if a mini series or ongoing wasn't possible. Having two back ups set prior to X1, then a four part pseudo-crossover set prior to X1, then a 12 part actual crossover set after... X7 is it? wasn't smart. I'm still interested in X, but admittedly Worlds Unite really drained a lot of it.

On topic, this does basically sound like "Rock of Ages 2", and I enjoyed that story so I figure I'll like this. It does more or less confirm the comic as it has been is over though. They aren't billing this as a hiatus due to financial strain, this is a hiatus as they tear what's there down and build back up hoping for improvement. Honestly, not sure if I'll stick around if much changes, the comic is still my only source for Mega Man knowledge; if we jump post MM10 or something I don't know how well I'd adjust, that sounds like a lot of content. That said, if we start from zero again and start retreading old ground, that sounds completely unappealing either. I'm not attached to this franchise like some are and going over what's still a limited amount of material doesn't sound appealing at all.

In the end if this doesn't go well, I want the most important thing Archie to take from this not being the execution of the material. This comic was very well written and illustrated doing everything it could to be the best product possible, and those aren't reasons why it didn't succeed. Blame the format constraints that effected stories like "The Return of Dr. Wily" and "Blackout - Curse of Ra Moon", heck blame the Mega Man brand for being dormant in the public eye for so long, don't blame the book for being the highest quality possible.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:52 pm

I can't agree that the comic didn't succeed when it reached 50+ issues. That's a great run. Although it certainly didn't succeed enough.

Outside of any other reasons given, I can only assume it was hiatused because Archie needs the money for it's own in-house issues.

The intro to X wasn't handled as well as it could have been, but the factors behind that make sense. There wasn't enough money to give X his own series. And, if you include X in a crossover, you don't want to make it pre-X1 X and Sigma.

I think an X series could work easily. They just go right into X1. No more, no less.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:01 am

So, it sounds like X-Over isn't going to part of this? Isn't he like the Mega Man of Time or something?
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:36 am

ReifuTD wrote:So, it sounds like X-Over isn't going to part of this? Isn't he like the Mega Man of Time or something?

Xover is a Japan-exclusive title, so in order for Ian to actually use that material it'd have to be translated first.

Besides, given the backlash and infamous reputation it has, I doubt he'd want to use it anyway. It's like the MM version of Sonic 06.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:57 am

GentlemanX wrote:Honestly, not sure if I'll stick around if much changes, the comic is still my only source for Mega Man knowledge; if we jump post MM10 or something I don't know how well I'd adjust, that sounds like a lot of content.

If it sounds like a lot of content, most of that is really because of Ian. While there's a little more nuance than this, it really boils down to "Wily hatches an evil plot, Mega Man stops it" about a dozen more times.

Anyway, if people don't want a reboot or anything, spending the hiatus raising awareness of the trades and telling Archie that you want more of this is probably not the worst thing you could spend the time doing. If there are comic-exclusive elements you like and you've got some artistic talent, doing stuff with that to send them wouldn't be terrible, either.

If you're a member of other forums 'n things that aren't talking about the book? Maybe start a thread or conversation or whatever. Post about new trade releases on social media, whatever you can to get people picking up whatever we have left.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:16 am

You know, I wonder if Ian being burned out on the books has anything to do with this.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!